• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

fertygo

Wait what? You're going to have to elaborate on what you mean here. Or are you trying to say its more of a "popcorn" anime or something of the sort?
Sorta.. like Jarmel said and the hero is pretty much most like Smith's character with "WHAT ITS MEANT TO BE HERO" theme.. its giving fake sense of scale of how big the issue of that theme because in the end its only about
self-rigtheouness
but its pretty simple theme to develop personal conflict in character for.. an simple way to had that character had something going

Just wanted to say regarding the log horizon dub

i watched it earlier , but it's now that i'm watching again that i don't understand this.

Nyanta says : " how was the town ?" and then "it's good you made it back safe "

Except that serara couldn't explore the town , she was confined in nyanta house since she was tracked by that guild at the time. There is no way serara could have gone out .. She doesn't have the skills to do so , and she was busy cleaning ( so much cleaning she went up to lv 42 )

what's with the change of dialog ?

" you know what i'm saying " <== wait what's the point of this, again ?

If this video is true , then damn , this is horrible. not even debating on serara horrible voice, nor on nyanta out of character delivery, changing dialog is a failure.
An horrible , pathetic failure.

BAD DUB

VERY BAD DUB

e_i

...the clip?

I've had the Blu-ray for a couple weeks now. Nyanta's voices was a little jarring at first, but it fits his character. Although, the dub has him saying ~nya a lot less than the Japanese VA did. The dub actor only uses it on a few occasions.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I've had the Blu-ray for a couple weeks now. Nyanta's voices was a little jarring at first, but it fits his character. Although, the dub has him saying ~nya a lot less than the Japanese VA did. The dub actor only uses it on a few occasions.
Uh...I'm pretty sure the jive talk wasn't in the source material.

e_i

Yeah, the inserted jive talk is fucking stupid. I hate it when dubs are filled with Americanized slang, like Highschool DxD. Apparently, Sentai fucked up again with the Ambition of Oda Nobunga, having a male voice a female (Tears to Tiara and ICE are the other times they did this).

I had trouble finding Shirou's actions to be anything more than those of a typical hero trying to protect those around him (unless that was the point?) so I had trouble finding him particularly interesting. Perhaps it would have been better had I not been distracted by him acting like the traditional shounen protagonist by being oblivious to the most obvious crush in the history of ever and completely flipping shit at the mere thought of an attractive girl sleeping in his vicinity. In terms of defining his character, I thought the Fate route actually did a better job even with the added bonus of making him an unlikable sexist twat.

And I'm not sure if "plot armor" was the proper term, but I was referring to stuff like
Caster failing to kill him in like 3 chances even when he was defenseless
and my absolute favorite,
teacher dude not finishing off Saber for absolutely no fucking reason

cajunator

Banned

J still havent gotten mine :(

i watched it earlier , but it's now that i'm watching again that i don't understand this.

Except that serara couldn't explore the town , she was confined in nyanta house since she was tracked by that guild at the time. There is no way serara could have gone out .. She doesn't have the skills to do so , and she was busy cleaning ( so much cleaning she went up to lv 42 )

If this video is true , then damn , this is horrible. not even debating on serara horrible voice, nor on nyanta out of character delivery, changing dialog is a failure.

BAD DUB

VERY BAD DUB

What were the lines in the original?

Crocodile

It means when you go see a Will Smith movie you know what you're getting and that's why you're watching in the first place. You're getting Will Smith being Will Smith on screen. Same with a Michael Bay film.

Couldn't you replace Will Smith with any well known actor/director/writer who has built up a long resume you can familiarize yourself with? I thought there might have been a reason Will Smith was chosen specifically.

Sorta.. like Jarmel said and the hero is pretty much most like Smith's character with "WHAT ITS MEANT TO BE HERO" theme.. its giving fake sense of scale of how big the issue of that theme because in the end its only about
self-rigtheouness
but its pretty simple theme to develop personal conflict in character for.. an simple way to had that character had something going

Interesting. I dunno if "hero" or "self-righteous" is the first thing that comes to mind when I think of Will Smith though the protagonist is the role he plays most often.

Then there'd be a valid reason for the horseplay and prior bonding with Amira. With this execution, it's turned to a plot contrivance pulled from the writer's arse. Who's forced to add the Amira x horse moment to make the contrivance work, but it doesn't work because we have to believe Favaro didn't want to save or care about Amira, yet he does so unwittingly because plot. Even if it was played for laughs, it doesn't make it any more believable. Make Favaro change his mind; you even got to see a flashback of Amira's desire to see her mom, which I thought was perfectly set up for that. It wouldn't clash with his characterization so far at all. It might even make him more likeable as a main character.

It doesn't matter that the threat is non-threatening; the point is that they get back together after the betrayal. If there's no character growth (ie Favaro doesn't change his mind), then what was the point of all this backstabbing nonsense? Exactly. To make Favaro look like a complete and utter tool. Well, mission accomplished.

It seems to me you're criticizing the moment for not being a character building moment for Favaro when it seems clear to me that was never its intention. Why is making him look like a tool a problem at that point in time? He is a tool - that's kind of the point. Are you incapable of liking the character even if he has some questionable morals (this is not a critique of you, just a question)? It seems clear to me the writers wanted to have some laughs, reaffirm Favaro's assholeness, keep them together inspite of that being contrary to his character at the time and betray expectations by having the driving force of the action come from an unexpected source. They even had the foresight to foreshadow it. The character growth you want is clearly happening right now in the show (in part driven by his encounters with Amon and Azezeal and the truth about his Father's death). The worst you can say about the moment is that it was very convenient but it was all consistent with what we knew about the characters and their situation and its goals were prety obvious. I mean you could certainly exercise that entire scene, never have Favaro betray Amira and do something else for the sake of comedy and show Favaro's a douche but that doesn't strike me as strictly better.

BAD DUB

VERY BAD DUB

I had to double check the original Japanese but you're right! It's as if their lines got switched around. How weird. Without listening to the rest of the dub episode (the clip posted is spliced together and not continuous if you compare it to the original Japanese episode) it's hard to say if its actually much of an issue though as if causes any narrative problems in the script.

Aside from like one sentence, its a pretty big stretch to call that jive talk

sonicmj1

If you already have experience with Unlimited Blade Works, there's nothing about the current adaptation that should frustrate your expectations. I know some people have been bothered that certain music from the VN wasn't playing at certain scenes, but that's about as far as it goes.

However, if you don't truly know what you're in for, there are plenty of understandable reasons why you might have higher expectations that aren't being met. In the leadup to this series, I've heard people talk about how the Fate route paints an unfair picture of Shirou, or how the DEEN adaptation failed to do justice to the property. Some Type Moon fans claim that criticisms of Fate/Stay Night's writing rest more on its fan translation than on the quality of the original prose. Even those that have seen ufotable's previous work adapting Nasu's universe might be expecting something closer to Fate/Zero, or even Kara no Kyoukai: Spiral Paradox. Or if they're not familiar with Nasu, they could have expected something with at least passable writing.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Tamako Love Story:

80 minutes of:
http://a.pomf.se/pdtefh.webm

Tamako still handicapped.
Mochizou still suffering.
Midori still NTR.
Kanna still winning.
Brown people still brown.

I thought it was okay. The writing was typical overwrought romance drama you'd expect from KyoAni, except concentrated into a small timeframe because they wasted the broadcast series on that shitty bird. Visually, though, it was a real treat. A lot of the creativity we saw in Hyouka was echoed in Tamako Love Story. They also brought back all the jump cuts from the TV series for comedic effect.

I wouldn't really recommend it to anyone though. I feel like it's drastically more watchable if you actually know what Tamako Market is, unlike, say, Disappearance. All it really does is make me more thirsty for a sequel to Hyouka, which did this coming-of-age romance thing a billion times better.

TUSR

Banned
Fucking hell, what did I do. I called out /r/animes shitty circlejerking and and am now showered in replies where people tell me it's literally impossible to be disappointed by Ufotable's FSN UBW so far.

Here's a wonderful excerpt:

Why do I keep visiting that shitty subreddit and worse, try to call out this bullshit when it's a fruitless endeavour. It's not bad for news and some misc. submissions like nice song covers. I should just never ever take a look at the comment section again.

lmao having expectations for reddit.

Mushishi 07

JlRnUnX.jpg
CWtsTDC.png
tP6lVm4.jpg
by9Tc91.png

Touch the rainbow.
Skittles has really weird ads.

Midonin

Destiny of the Shrine Maiden 01-03

Yuri, supernatural battles with magical beings (aka mecha)... the general tone I'm getting from this is like Mai-HiME, with a bit of Touka Gettan for flavoring. Kagihime is the only other one of Kaishaku's works I've seen, but I plan to see more of them. The reason why it reminds me of HiME has to do with how Souma and his super robot battles (that said, they are super robots, I can appreciate that) feel almost completely disconnected from Chikane and Himeko's burgeoning yuri love at this point. I mean, they talked about "shell matching". That's bedroom talk, right there. As one of the big names in yuri series, I'm also glad to have some context for one of anime's most endlessly parodied images.

cajunator

Banned
Destiny of the Shrine Maiden 01-03

Yuri, supernatural battles with magical beings (aka mecha)... the general tone I'm getting from this is like Mai-HiME, with a bit of Touka Gettan for flavoring. Kagihime is the only other one of Kaishaku's works I've seen, but I plan to see more of them. The reason why it reminds me of HiME has to do with how Souma and his super robot battles (that said, they are super robots, I can appreciate that) feel almost completely disconnected from Chikane and Himeko's burgeoning yuri love at this point. I mean, they talked about "shell matching". That's bedroom talk, right there. As one of the big names in yuri series, I'm also glad to have some context for one of anime's most endlessly parodied images.

This is Kannazuki no Miko right? Weirdly I have a Geneon boxset titled in japanese and theres another later set with English title.

Midonin

This is Kannazuki no Miko right? Weirdly I have a Geneon boxset titled in japanese and theres another later set with English title.
This is also known as Kannazuki no Miko, yes. The Sentai Filmworks rerelease was fairly cheap to get, and I needed it since Hulu's stream didn't have the subbed version.

Trinity Seven - 05
Still cheap looking , but still intresting with his MC that keep being so intresting to watch

I mean the MC waking up , assessing the situation AND still being able to go 100% swag and confident once lilith showed up is clearly why the trinity 7 MC is so fun to watch.

too bad the show looks so bad ( compared to the manga )

But at least the cast make it intresting ..

UberTag

This is fucking incredible. Also Hilary Haag is the best.
Hilary's always been a treat.

She's got the narrowest vocal range you can find but damn if it doesn't suit a bunch of anime roles and she's got the acting chops to make most of them endearing and memorable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom