• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yu-Gi-Oh! ARC-V Episode 30
B1ty-0ACMAMWOOx.png

Exactly what I expected for a Gongenzaka duel. Best part was his defense at the cliff scene, otherwise, just an anticipated outcome.

Sawatari v Yuuya-oniichan ought to be a great match.

I doubt Oda cares about pairing the crew. There really hasn't been any romantic undertones in One Piece so far. It's only used as comic relief (like
Hancock loving Luffy).

Not during the main story. I remember him saying that there wouldn't be any romance between the crew during the story.
But I could see him doing it in an epilogue or final movie.

Mature

Detective Conan 342:
It's kind of awkward to put an anime original story here, right in the midst of all the big plot developments of the surrounding episodes. It feels like this would have fit much better if they held off on it until after the arc was resolved.

Judged just on its own merits, it's okay, I guess. For an hour special, it's kind of a waste. The stakes are so low, and pretty much every twist is really obvious. There are some good comedy scenes with Sonoko, but when the stakes of an episode mostly involve tracking down a stolen item, I don't think it needed 46 minutes. The unique setting and the fact that it's just about competent at everything it does keeps it watchable, but it doesn't really go far beyond that.
I... have no memory of this special.

I suspect when Fairy Tail reaches its conclusion (and given the current arc in the manga, I imagine that'll be fairly soon), I imagine that there'll be a similar reaction like today's.

Because shipping is everywhere in that manga and I mean everywhere.

Necrovex

I suspect when Fairy Tail reaches its conclusion (and given the current arc in the manga, I imagine that'll be fairly soon), I imagine that there'll be a similar reaction like today's.

Trying to resist the urge from falling into that Fairy Tail trap. I loved Rave Master, but Natsu is such a horrible character from what I have seen of the first fifteen episodes of that series.

I also finally finished the Punk Hazard arc in One Piece. Now I must wait for this current arc to finish, then I'll plow through it. Does it look like this arc will end anytime soon?

Bahamut 05

Lot of well done exposition to be seen in this episode. The revelation about Favaro and the demon dude the show has been focusing on lately actually kinda surprised me. I didn't think he would end up that important to the plot. Also glad to see Favaro goes off the deep end when he put two and two together regarding what the demon guy told him and him showing them what his 'true' form looked like. Rita was of course the star of the episode but that goes without saying.

HI-cool SEha girls - 05

I wanted a phantasy star episode

I got :
A puyo puyo episode !

It was better than i expected but i still want my Phantasy star episode !
Don't let me down next-week !!

Midonin

Destiny of the Shrine Maiden 04-06

The Orochi members are as much a group of archetypes as one could get. You have the catgirl, the idol, the manga artist, the musclehead. I'm not sure why Orochi chose these guys in particular, but they provide some nice comic relief from the tension brewing in the main plot. Chikane is... possessive, and I'm already seeing how everyone's tragic backstories are starting to overlap. The mecha and miko storylines still feel like two different shows. You'd think that Chikane and Himeko would be piloting a robot together, or at least that's what I'd do if I was writing it.

Other then Natsu X Lucy/Lisanna are there any other ships in this series that are even remotely contested? The vast majority of them have basically been made canon at this point

Gray x Juvia
Erza x Jellal
Gajeel x Levy

I really can't think of another ship that people seriously consider as possible, maybe Natsu x Erza/Gray but neither has any real backing outside of the later in DTL land

Chaika AB - 05

Man this episode brought so much to the table .
Chaika was always an Above-average show in my eyes , but this episode was on another level entirely . This arc was awesome , for the sheer amount of revelations and possibilities involved now.
Hitsugi%20no%20Chaika%20-%20Avenging%20Battle%20-%2005_01.jpg

Best interractions possible
As for the martial art tournament , i have no idea how this will work , but i'm very intrested to see it . i expect a GIANT PACK on twists and this chaika 2nd season better not let me down on that aspect.

i'm hyped now.

2 chaika disccussing things are so entertaining , i want more.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Parasyte-5

The main character is really starting to piss me the fuck off. I know he improves but goddamn is this shit painful right now. Dude is straight up awful.

That writing
for the mother's death also is a little convenient but whatever

Dude has an alien taking over his hand who would probably much rather kill him if he could, and also other aliens who are totally fine with killing him.

Cut the guy some slack.

Clov

How....do you even do that as a company.

No idea. It's seriously incredible how much they've botched this release. Glad I skipped out on it; it ought to serve as a good warning to anyone considering buying their Sailor Moon sets in the future (though people will buy them regardless).

At the very least, the video quality is better than the old ADV sets!

Crocodile

Everyday Battle 5

It weird how Andou can switch from blithering moron to introspective, articulate human being in the blink of an eye. I liked this but the impending love triangle drama is not something I'm looking forward to. When do the super power battles start?

Parasyte 5

WELP :/

Shinichi is really pissing me off though. I get that he was LEGIT SHOOK but holy shit was he being an idiot at the end of the episode. Made it hard to watch :/

I also don't have a problem with
the Mom biting it but I would've hoped she had been taken over someone other than random parasite X. Shes loses so much personality :(

Antiwhippy

Man, I don't get the people who says that they hated the way shinichi acted. I feel like it's pretty much the only appropriate reaction for a person really.

Man, I don't get the people who says that they hated the way shinichi acted. I feel like it's pretty much the only appropriate reaction for a person really.

gotta agree on this. Lack of empathy at its finest. I don't know how people expect somebody to react in that situation after everything that had gone down

Antiwhippy

(Fairly major spoilers) Even when people say that
cool shinichi is finally appearing
after this I feel like they are totally missing the point of the character.

Gundamù build fighters TRY - 05
During the first part of the episode i was like :

Stop the training !!!
And then during the fight i was like :

So , what the heck happenned to Ral voice ?

I enjoyed this episode , i honnestly thought they would make it more flashy ,

but Ral sound different

Gundamù build fighters TRY - 05
During the first part of the episode i was like :

And then during the fight i was like :

So , what the heck happenned to Ral voice ?

I enjoyed this episode , i honnestly thought they would make it more flashy ,

but Ral sound different

Voice actor fell ill, he got replaced. It's a damn shame

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Shinichi's behavior is pretty shit. He doesn't come off as a character, instead his only purpose is to serve as an emblem for the societal constructs of human weakness. It's all pretty heavy handed and lame because he doesn't have much of a personality of his own, and pretty much every moment he pipes up is dedicated to driving this point home instead of operating in an appropriate manner. Shinichi's ideologies aren't really given substance or merit. Because of this, it is easy to "hate" the way that Shinichi acts. There is no logic, there is no reason, and there aren't even hints of survival instinct. At the same time, he is not a particularly emotive character outside of reactionary shock.

Jarmel

Banned
Shinichi's behavior is pretty shit. He doesn't come off as a character, instead his only purpose is to serve as an emblem for the societal constructs of human weakness. It's all pretty heavy handed and lame because he doesn't have much of a personality of his own, and pretty much every moment he pipes up is dedicated to driving this point home instead of operating in an appropriate manner. Shinichi's ideologies aren't really given substance or merit. Because of this, it is easy to "hate" the way that Shinichi acts. There is no logic, there is no reason, and there aren't even hints of survival instinct. At the same time, he is not a particularly emotive character outside of reactionary shock.

I pretty much agree with this. It's very heavy handed and doesn't come across as natural at all. For a supposed weakling, he doesn't act like one yet he stutters and acts terrified half the time. Then the whole ending scene infuriated me to high heaven, I understand that he's shocked but the way that he acted just felt so unnatural. He's acting like he's in shock but he's not in shock at the same time.

As dimb said, his actions are almost completely contrary to his mindset.

Antiwhippy

See, I can agree with you that it is pretty heavy-handed. This series is pretty heavy-handed in general, and it wears its themes on its sleeves. That could make or break it with some people. I just don't really agree with him not acting in an appropriate manner. His character is pretty meek compared to being slightly goofy in the manga, but I think that'll work for this adaptation.

His ideologies aren't given much weight right now because it's his way of adapting; coping with having to coexist with an alien and with the knowledge of aliens that have been committing mass murders. I honestly think that the anime has done well in showing how he is trying to get to grips with the situation, and with the bombshell this episode that he might be merging it intensifies his growing rebellion against Migi, and it shows what he truly fears: losing the grips of his humanity. I'd say that if I have an alien for a hand I would try my best to constantly ascertain my own humanity. In his own way he feels that holding onto his humanity is the best way to combat the aliens.

There might not be much to his character other than to counterpoint that of migi but I think that works well considering the themes it explores.

I pretty much agree with this. It's very heavy handed and doesn't come across as natural at all. For a supposed weakling, he doesn't act like one yet he stutters and acts terrified half the time. Then the whole ending scene infuriated me to high heaven, I understand that he's shocked but the way that he acted just felt so unnatural. He's acting like he's in shock but he's not in shock at the same time.

Have you ever had to confront someone who is a bully and stronger than you? You feel like you have to do it, but it certainly doesn't lessen the fear you have, especially considering that the person will probably beat the shit out of you.

A weakling standing up to someone who is stronger, yet displays his fears, isn't contrary at all.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The OP for Parasyte gets stuck in my head way too easily.

Jarmel

Banned
Have you ever had to confront someone who is a bully and stronger than you? You feel like you have to do it, but it certainly doesn't lessen the fear you have, especially considering that the person will probably beat the shit out of you.

I have and I didn't stutter while fighting.

Here's the thing though, he's used his right arm for trivial shit already. Like catching those rocks and throwing them back at those guys bullying the cat. So why would he not use his arm just to punch or scare the bullies off? And even if he didn't use his arm, why would he really be scared of them? He knows he can easily beat the shit out of them if he tried. It's not like Migi automatically goes into killing mode. He's been in numerous situations already that are life and death.

I'm also surprised Migi didn't step in sooner.

To be completely fair his ideologies are only happening now during his current situation considering Migi and the aliens and their mentality. It's a way to combat them and their thoughts on humans. Basically he's trying to represent the point of humans and their strong points, but it's hard when you are such a weakling. He has to force himself to act tough because he wants to prove Migi, and in a fashion himself, wrong.

As to the 'shock and not really shocked' that's hard to say considering that people act differently in shock. Some will scream to high heaven, others will crumble in a fetal position, and others simply don't know how to react. Shinichi didn't do anything I haven't seen in characters who are acting shocked. Not to mention
there was a part of him that knew his mother was attacked. His dad's phone call, the mentioning of 'monsters' and him accusing Migi that the aliens are the only possible monsters and blaming her for everything. He probably didn't want to believe what the logical conclusion he came up with was.

Antiwhippy

I have and I didn't stutter while fighting.

Here's the thing though, he's used his right arm for trivial shit already. Like catching those rocks and throwing them back at those guys bullying the cat. So why would he not use his arm just to punch or scare the bullies off? And even if he didn't use his arm, why would he really be scared of them? He knows he can easily beat the shit out of them if he tried. It's not like Migi automatically goes into killing mode. He's been in numerous situations already that are life and death.

I'm also surprised Migi didn't step in sooner.

Thing is he's still a weakling. That part of him still hasn't changed.

I feel like the rock scene was just migi acting on his own. They haven't really shown shinichi to be fully in control of the fights yet.

I dunno about migi not going to automatic kill mode either. The only time where migi didn't automatically kill someone was the dude from basketball. Every other time is slicey-dicey death everywhere. You could even see migi turning into knives this episode.

Also in the 3rd episode (I think it's the 3rd episode?) we see migi completely willing to use the students as meat shield against Mr. A. I really don't think shinichi can be certain that migi won't just straight up go to kill mode. Migi jsut doesn't care about humans other than shinichi, and that's because he needs him to stay alive.

Plus the whole holding onto his humanity thing.

Parasyte 5

The lead up to the end was damn effective until the wubs started. That one track is like half super fitting and half suspension of disbelief-breaking.

The mom's death was actually MORE explicit than in the manga. There was no perspective head-spinning, just a single panel before the parasite even slices.

Inou Battle wa Nichijou-kei no naka de - 05

In this episode , "closed clock" went up to best girl status ( with tsundere factor ) and "that" another girl was dangerously going toward a yandere route ( would be glorious if this happens )

I'm ok with this....
That lenghty scene in the club room was pretty good back and forth between the 2 characters , i really liked that.

cajunator

Banned
How....do you even do that as a company.

viz is no stranger to screwing up. My feelings are well known.

Destiny of the Shrine Maiden 04-06

The Orochi members are as much a group of archetypes as one could get. You have the catgirl, the idol, the manga artist, the musclehead. I'm not sure why Orochi chose these guys in particular, but they provide some nice comic relief from the tension brewing in the main plot. Chikane is... possessive, and I'm already seeing how everyone's tragic backstories are starting to overlap. The mecha and miko storylines still feel like two different shows. You'd think that Chikane and Himeko would be piloting a robot together, or at least that's what I'd do if I was writing it.

At least it had a catgirl but this is honestly a really forgettable show. I bought it because yuri of course.

Midonin

My reasons are many. A non-military mecha show. The source of many parodies. Trying to watch all of the anime based on Kaishaku's manga. (And the yuri, of course.) Even an average series can be enticing to someone for the right reasons. Plus I'm naturally drawn to curios.

Defuser

Inou Battle ep 5
Tomoyo or Mirei for best girl.... ugh I can't choose!!! Tomoyo shot up high in my rankings meanwhile Hatoko deserves to get rekt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom