• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

zulux21

Trying to resist the urge from falling into that Fairy Tail trap. I loved Rave Master, but Natsu is such a horrible character from what I have seen of the first fifteen episodes of that series.

I also finally finished the Punk Hazard arc in One Piece. Now I must wait for this current arc to finish, then I'll plow through it. Does it look like this arc will end anytime soon?

I have a little free time to post in here again yay.
As for fairy tail the first 20 some episodes in general are pretty bad, after that though the series really picks up. Natsu in general isn't a very interesting character though, he is basically Shounen Man, the embodiment of every shounen hero ever.

As for One Piece, you are looking at a min 40 more episodes of anime before the arc ends, but it's not exactly clear how much longer the arc will be in general.It wouldn't be surprising if the anime didn't finish the current arc until 2016 sometime.

Parasyte for anime of the year!

Anime Spiderman is up there battling Bahamut for AOTS and as contenders for AOTY. But we really have to see how these shows end. Because right now the pick for me is Space Dandy. But Dandy's strength and weakness for me, which could remove it from the top spot, is that it was as episodic as it gets for shows. And I do love me a good narrative.

NOt even sure why a thing so popular needs a kickstarter to get released.
I back some kickstarters , but for vns it's little games that have a very low chance of being localised.
CLANNAD isn't in this category.

BUt i wouldn't be surprised if this one get funded easily ..

PS : lol at some of those reward prices.
Its popularity makes it more difficult to get released. Sekai Project is a small startup that doesn't have the money to pay license fees for popular Key titles and voice actors without Kickstarter. But it'll get funded easily, World End Economica, an unknown doujin game, reached 100k. It's also good that they are re-translating the game, the Clannad fan TL is a mess.

santeesioux

But Dandy's strength and weakness for me, which could remove it from the top spot, is that it was as episodic as it gets for shows. And I do love me a good narrative.

That was probably the biggest downer for me when it comes to that show too. I think unless Parastye completely shits the bed, it will be tied with SD to me actually.

santeesioux

Ping Pong was ruined for me when i realized it was the same thing as the Japanese live action movie that came out like 10 years ago that i had literally just watched right before trying to watch the anime. I know that's a crap excuse for not watching it, but i can't.

jgminto

Ping Pong was ruined for me when i realized it was the same thing as the Japanese live action movie that came out like 10 years ago that i had literally just watched right before trying to watch the anime. I know that's a crap excuse for not watching it, but i can't.

Just watch it for the fantastic art and direction instead. It's probably better than the movie anyway.

Soma

AOTY for me is definitely between Ping Pong and Space Dandy so far.

Bahamut for biggest surprise though.

Terror for biggest disappointment :(

santeesioux

Just watch it for the fantastic art and direction instead. It's probably better than the movie anyway.

I think i'll go back and try it in like a year. I think the problem was the story was still fresh in my mind, and maybe after that length of time has passed i'll be able to watch it.

yami4ct

AOTY for me is probably going to end up being Parasyte. Assuming it holds, of course. Akame ga Kill is a close second. G-Reco could hop up there if it does something crazy, like Tomino is capable of, but I suspect it won't make it. Parasyte is too good.

Syrinx

I don't know if I'll vote for AOTY since I haven't seen that much, but Shirobako has to be my favorite of what I've seen.

Edit: ah, forgot Nozaki-kun. Will be runner-up unless Shirobako craps out or I find something I love more that I randomly pick up.

Crocodile

Space Dandy is a LOCK for first for me. Ping Pong is probably second. Jojo will go on there but probably near the middle or bottom of the list. As long as Bahamut and Shirobako don't shit the bed they will def get spots - that's how impressive those shows have been to me. Parasyte is strong but Shinichi is pissing me off and I don't think the production so far is particularly noteworthy save episode 1. Watching recent episodes of Mushishi reminded me how much I respect the show artistically but its not a show I'm enthusiastic about. I still need to finish Terror in Resonance. I've really like what I've seen but I've only seen up until Five's introduction which many people consider the point where the show shits the bed.The second half of Gundam Build Fighters was this year right?

After that I have to think about it a bit more.

TUSR

Banned
nothing has ruined or changed my thoughts so far, that would hands down be my AOTY.

NGNL was a ride, hopefully they follow through with S2. Definitely enough content currently out for a S2 and the writer apparently really enjoyed working on the show as well.

materialization shiritori in episode 6, and jibril sealed this as my AOTY

fertygo

Ping Pong gonna be my #1 tho, too bad Dandy will win the cake :(
I'm not too big with the S2 tbh, I'm finally convinced I don't like Dandy as protagonist.. I'm too spoiled to Gintoki being versatile comedy protagonist.

Blusby

Since Unlimited Blade Works won't be completed until next year it's exempt for me, though I'm enjoying it far more than most series to come out in the past few years. Besides that my AotY will most likely remain as Ping Pong: the Animation unless Shingeki no Bahamut: Genesis turns out to be amazing in the end, though it's so far really damn good.

Clov

AOTY? Definitely Ping-Pong. Though I love The Tatami Galaxy more than it, it's definitely one of Yuasa's strongest works. Second for me seems like it'll be Mushishi.

Space Dandy on the other hand, I'm not too sure where to place. It's difficult, since it had some amazing episodes (episode 21 is probably one of the best episodes of anime I've watched all year) but also some utterly terrible ones. Most of the really bad ones are in the first half; I think there was only two episodes in the second half I didn't enjoy. I might end up placing it at third or fourth overall.

cajunator

Banned
NGNL was a ride, hopefully they follow through with S2. Definitely enough content currently out for a S2 and the writer apparently really enjoyed working on the show as well.

Yeah there needs to be a season 2. IT MUST HAPPEN.
Also this year has been incredibly good. Picking one anime to represent it might be impossible.

jgminto

Ping Pong gonna be my #1 tho, too bad Dandy will win the cake :(
I'm not too big with the S2 tbh, I'm finally convinced I don't like Dandy as protagonist.. I'm too spoiled to Gintoki being versatile comedy protagonist.

That's because Dandy is best when he isn't a comedy protagonist.

zulux21

I don't mind if season 2 takes a bit to get made. There is enough content for it for sure, but not really for a season 3, thus the wait for season 3 would be super long if season 2 was made like oh, next april :p

But yeah, NGNL was the only anime this year that as soon as it ended I not only wanted the next episode but was tempted to rewatch what I had just seen for most of the episodes. There isn't anything that remotely touches my enjoyment of it from this year. Now second place... that one will take a while as I have enjoyed a number of shows this year, but aside from NGNL none of the others really stood out as things I will want to rewatch next year.

Since Unlimited Blade Works won't be completed until next year it's exempt for me, though I'm enjoying it far more than most series to come out in the past few years. Besides that my AotY will most likely remain as Ping Pong: the Animation unless Shingeki no Bahamut: Genesis turns out to be amazing in the end, though it's so far really damn good.

this reminds me... I have forgotten to start UBW.... I should do that at some point ><:

Narag

pupipo > ping pong

dyoQWhz.png

fertygo

That's because Dandy is best when he isn't a comedy protagonist.

Its really hard for me to give a damn to dramatic moment revolving character that only give a damn visiting restaurant with skimpy dressed waitress too :(

My favorite Dandy eps is when dandy himself taking backseat like two eps in S1 and rock band episode in S2.

Pretty late to the party, but I thought Shinichi's reaction was pretty justifiable. I think the whole
scar backstory with his mom was an effective way to show that he really cared for her,
though it was a bit heavy handed. Maybe the way it was handled was poor, but I don't doubt that
he would have strongly hesitated no matter what.

I was more confused about Shinichi getting messed up by the punks, but then I watched the episode a second time with some friends and it made a lot more sense. tbh it was probably my favorite episode so far.

I think people just tend to react negatively to whenever a character doesn't take the "logical" route when faced with an issue or conflict because they don't empathize with the character at that particular moment. It's something I'm guilty of (currently suffering from F S/N flashbacks, maybe the anime will change my mind!).

TUSR

Banned
Yeah there needs to be a season 2. IT MUST HAPPEN.
Also this year has been incredibly good. Picking one anime to represent it might be impossible.

I just rewatched episode 6 and 8. How is there not a good Jibril figure yet?

2014 has been great, I picked a good year to start watching anime in. I've been spoiled with a lot of classics and new shows.

I don't mind if season 2 takes a bit to get made. There is enough content for it for sure, but not really for a season 3, thus the wait for season 3 would be super long if season 2 was made like oh, next april :p

But yeah, NGNL was the only anime this year that as soon as it ended I not only wanted the next episode but was tempted to rewatch what I had just seen for most of the episodes. There isn't anything that remotely touches my enjoyment of it from this year. Now second place... that one will take a while as I have enjoyed a number of shows this year, but aside from NGNL none of the others really stood out as things I will want to rewatch next year.

Thats exactly my sentiments for NGNL, it was enjoyable and fun. I've rewatched a couple of episodes throughout the year since it ended and still enjoy it.

I forget exactly what the sales numbers for the show were, but they boosted the crap out of the LN and the BD sales were good. Probably won't hear anything about a possible S2 until mid 2015 i'd say.

cajunator

Banned
I just rewatched episode 6 and 8. How is there not a good Jibril figure yet?

2014 has been great, I picked a good year to start watching anime in. I've been spoiled with a lot of classics and new shows.

Thats exactly my sentiments for NGNL, it was enjoyable and fun. I've rewatched a couple of episodes throughout the year since it ended and still enjoy it.

I forget exactly what the sales numbers for the show were, but they boosted the crap out of the LN and the BD sales were good. Probably won't hear anything about a possible S2 until mid 2015 i'd say.

Have you watched Millennium Actress ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom