• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soulflarz

Banned
Does SAO/SAO2 have any idea how aggro works? It keeps changing how it works. As in...it fundamentally works the same, but their strategies make no sense. (Well, nor does switching vs a tank, but whatever!)
I mean say bob is in front of the boss and has aggro by a mile. Shouldnt everyone else run to the side/behind the boss so they dont take stray hits? Aggro only exists when the show feels like it...I uh, think?

My list: (subject to change)

Gin no Saji (S2)
Nourin
Witch Craft Works
Toaru Hikuushi e no Koiuta
Noragami
Saki: Zenkoku Hen
Selector Infected(Spread) Wixoss
Hitsugi no Chaika (S1/S2)
Sidonia no Kishi
Fate/Kaleid Liner Prisma Illya Zwei!
Hana Yamata
Bahamut

Also not in any particular order.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Does SAO/SAO2 have any idea how aggro works? It keeps changing how it works. As in...it fundamentally works the same, but their strategies make no sense. (Well, nor does switching vs a tank, but whatever!)
I mean say bob is in front of the boss and has aggro by a mile. Shouldnt everyone else run to the side/behind the boss so they dont take stray hits? Aggro only exists when the show feels like it...I uh, think?

How SAO works.

Code:
Are you Kirito --YES--> You win the game
      |
     N O
      |
      V
You lose the game

TUSR

Banned
My AOTY list would currently consist of:

Amagi Brilliant Park

I can't actually remember what else came out this year x_x

I expected more from you.

Agro in SAO works similar to Battleguard Sartura.

I completely forgot SAO was still going on. I guess I lost interest after the new setting and melodrama was gone. How I miss you dude with creepy face and machine gun orgasm.

key0.jpg

Clean key visual: http://moca-news.net/article/20141107/201411070021a/image001.html

Meanwhile, we're still waiting for the first movie to get a dubbed release.

Midonin

Denki-Gai 06

Sensei-centric episode. First with helping her complete a manga, with all the usual hijinks you'd expect from this group of lovable weirdoes, and then rating her "girl power" based on how she pulled an all-nighter. She does what anybody would do, she's cute no matter what level her girl power is. Plus Minami Tsuda is doing a pretty good job in the role, completely different from her deadpan she's using as Salama only a few hours later. Fun episode, and next week's a hot springs trip.

Tenumi

Banned
Digimon Tamers: 23

This isn't some kids game anymore. Finally, the adults learn the truth about the Digimon, digital world, and what they've created and subsequently attempted to destroy. The damage is high, but it is far from over.

Midonin

More Milky Holmes and Dog Days, iM@S and KanColle, and the anime-original Rolling Girls are all ones I'm really looking forward to. And Lesbian Bear Storm, of course. I'm also interested in the Yatterman project because it's done by the same team as Gatchaman Crowds. And another Shaft/Kirara collaboration.

Every time I think I've listed my most anticipated shows, I forget another show or two I'm also anticipating.

There's a lot to look forward to.

It really says something about the season when the thing I'm looking forward to the most, and at all, is the new season of Durarara. Welp. Guess next season will be backlog/western tv season.

Detective Conan 343:
I like how this just follows straight on from the end of 341. It makes that weird AO special last episode feel even more out of place.

I really like this story because it really is a rare case of letting the supporting cast handle things pretty much entirely on their own. It's nice to see Ran, Sonoko and Jodie working together without Conan being involved at all. It creates some interesting scenarios for them that wouldn't exist normally. Haibara's scene listening to the tape is also really good, and so is Jodie's flashback.

Compared to the previous episode, this is also a much better example of how to do a low key story in terms of the stakes. Yeah, there's no big murder plot here, but everything still feels important, especially because the episode spends a lot of time exploring the characters.

Clov

More Milky Holmes and Dog Days, iM@S and KanColle, and the anime-original Rolling Girls are all ones I'm really looking forward to. And Lesbian Bear Storm, of course. I'm also interested in the Yatterman project because it's done by the same team as Gatchaman Crowds. And another Shaft/Kirara collaboration.

Every time I think I've listed my most anticipated shows, I forget another show or two I'm also anticipating.

There's a lot to look forward to.

Wait, same team as in just the same studio, or the same director as well?

StayDead

Sequel to Dog Days and Milky Holmes, Kantai Collection and Cindarella Girls.

There's 4 to add to my AOTY lists. Damn Winter's going to be amaaaazing.

Clov

Same studio, no staff has actually been announced yet. But the general concept is similar.

Well, I'll keep an eye on it in any case. Won't get too excited just yet.

Definitely most excited for Ikuhara's show, and Shaft's cooking show. I'll probably watch the new Idolmaster show too. Hoping for something surprising though; something that I'd never expect to be good turn out to be great. We'll see, though.

Midonin

Shirobako 05

I'm now 100% certain that I would've watched Jiggly Heaven when it aired, or at least have it in my backlog now, reputation be damned. And given what's going on in Exodus!, I'm not sure how this could be called a "generic moe anime". (There's a different kettle of fish I want to, but don't want to, argue about how they're assumed to be generic until proven otherwise, but that's for another time, another thread, another show). The discussion of 3D vs 2D was also interesting, given how Frozen is popular in Japan and also everywhere else. The level of "real"ness or maturity isn't what's attracting me to this, it's the look into the creative process. Because while resource management is logical, actually making art (or a theme park) that affects people requires a lot of emotion.

No tears for the writer, no tears for the reader.

Denki-gai no Honya-san 6

This was the worst episode of the show, especially that painfully unfunny final segment. I feel like there's only a few combinations of characters in this show that are actually funny together and the scenes that don't focus on those just don't work.

Mature

Maria the Virgin witch is the only thing I'm interested in that's new. Jojo will be there to make sure the season isn't a complete wash.

Shirobako 5:
Endou is the hero that anime deserves. I imagine that a lot of us can really get involved emotionally in this episode given the struggle between traditional animation and CG. It's something that most of us probably have pretty strong feelings on, so the passion that Endou and Hotta feel towards protecting traditional animation and providing the most impact really carries over to the viewer. Once again, we get a nice sense for the passion of everyone involved.

The real bad guy in all of this is Tarou. He did almost everything wrong he possibly could have. It was kind of hilarious watching him relating messages between the two of them and constantly phrasing things in the worst possible way, often adding in hostile messages by complete accident. I think this goes a long ways to showing why he's so bad at his job. He just has no social awareness whatsoever, which coupled with his refusal to talk to anyone about what's going on, makes him really awful. I loved Aoi's facial expressions whenever she was talking with him.

Kinoshita and Honda's scenes together were also good. At the end of the episode you can start to feel their passion for what they work on, and understand why Kinoshita has been so nervous about where Exodus is going. He's a bit flaky as a director, but his passion for the show is second to none. At the middle of the episode we also had a pretty funny transition from Honda saying he wouldn't listen to him pee, to the sound of the chicken cooking.

Every week Shirobako continues to impress, and I'm pretty much convinced that this is going to the best anime of the year by a pretty wide margin. The production is slick, the writing is very tight, and the show is extremely passionate about its subject matter.

Wat

Everything about it so far looks like absolute shit

I believe in the master.

Midonin

Destiny of the Shrine Maiden 07-09

I knew Chikane was possessive, but there are lines you don't cross.
Assaulting Himeko like that, when her childhood was bad enough, is not good. If she's willing to do that, it's not surprising that she'd sink into becoming an Orochi... one strong enough to eliminate nearly everyone else.
Forget Orochi, at this rate the biggest threat to the Priestesses is going to be each other. Though none of this would've happened had Miyako not goaded Chikane into having doubts about herself in the first place. I'm not sure if Miyako intended this to happen or not, because if so, she threw all of her... they were never really friends, but comrades, I guess? Under the bus. So we're clearly dealing with the tragic kind of yuri here.

Well Winter, like this year's one, will be a catch up season for me. There is Yuri Kuma Arashi and Durarara x2 at least plus all the anime that I'm watching from this season are two cour so they'll be continuing too.

Working!! 13

Lots of things happen by mistake, nobody gets hit and Takanashi compares his date to a dog, so the date is a success then by anime standards.

So, it started out funny, but then it gets really bogged down with all the romantic stuff. Now, there's nothing wrong with romance, but in this one it's not really that interesting. The comedy isn't all that great either. A lot of it is just people getting punched.

I actually like a lot of the characters though, so it's a bit disappointing that the show itself doesn't have a better mix of comedy and romance.

It's decent, but not that good, so 3/5 Working!! logos:
ytfvZ2o.png
ytfvZ2o.png
ytfvZ2o.png
KefTB1v.png
KefTB1v.png

e_i

Destiny of the Shrine Maiden 07-09

I knew Chikane was possessive, but there are lines you don't cross.
Assaulting Himeko like that, when her childhood was bad enough, is not good. If she's willing to do that, it's not surprising that she'd sink into becoming an Orochi... one strong enough to eliminate nearly everyone else.
Forget Orochi, at this rate the biggest threat to the Priestesses is going to be each other. Though none of this would've happened had Miyako not goaded Chikane into having doubts about herself in the first place. I'm not sure if Miyako intended this to happen or not, because if so, she threw all of her... they were never really friends, but comrades, I guess? Under the bus. So we're clearly dealing with the tragic kind of yuri here.

Keep watching, the ending is awesome. And remember to watch past the end credits on the last episode.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Shirobako Episode 5:

SO I am not the only who thinks that Tarou is a useless turd who needs to be flushed into the street right?

jman2050

Shirobako 5

Tarou you stupid stupid stupid asshole. Good on Aoi for only putting up with his shit as far as she could stomach it.

Aside from Tarou being an enourmous shithead that can't do his goddamn job, this was a pretty captivating episode. We have a sort of examination on 2D vs 3D animating techniques (it's interesting how seemingly recent this sort of debate has been for Japanese animation given how it's been a major source of contention in western animation for what seems like decades now) but at its core we have the basic worry of what happens when your career path, your life's work, the very skills you possess in order to be useful is suddenly not good enough to be worth anything to others. In particular, Segawa's (I think it was Segawa at least?) line about "we have to draw for the next 30 years in order to eat" was downright biting. Rarely can you get to the heart of a matter in so few words.

The director's scenes were good too. He's passionate about his work but the mistakes of his past make him tentative and lackadaisical. It's not original but it's a state of mind that almost everyone regardless of culture can relate to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom