• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
Objective Review of From the New World's Dub based on Episode 1:
This is an English dub of From the New World. Characters are now voiced by actors who speak English. The dialogue roughly matches the original Japanese dialogue in most instances. All actors appear to be native English speakers. Some names are pronounced correctly.

Main cast ranked in terms of competence: Shun>Saki>Mamoru>Maria>Satoru

No KanaHana no sale!

Mature

So the back of the box says. At this point I can neither confirm nor deny the actual existence of any trailers, or anything other than a mediocre English dub and a static menu.
Of all the niggling things about a bad release, something about a really boring/static menu makes me most upset. SoreMachi's DVD is like that.

Manga did it right when they were making the (somewhat unsettling) End of Evangelion and Death and Rebirth menu screens for their respective dvds.

sonicmj1

So the back of the box says. At this point I can neither confirm nor deny the actual existence of any trailers, or anything other than a mediocre English dub and a static menu.

Did you just make a qualitative judgment?

Clearly I need to go somewhere else for Objective Anime Dub Reviews.

javac

So I just started a blind viewing of Aku no Hana (Flowers of Evil) today, and I just finished Episode 6 so I thought that I'd write a bit about my impressions so far...I guess I'll start by saying...wow.

f7s4kr8.jpg

Okay so going into this I didn't know much of anything about this show. I'd seen some screens here and there and knew that the show was very controversial in terms of people’s opinions towards it. It's a marmite type of show from the visuals to the music and the subject matter at hand. For me all of these elements hit the perfect spot and blend into what so far looks to be an amazing show.

Visuals: The visuals are the first thing that will standout for most people and I pretty much fell in love with them from the first second I started the episode. The show has some beautiful and detailed backgrounds with a distinct art-style while the characters seem to be what I can only describe as having a rotoscoped look. Certain parts of each character look very detailed while others seem to be less pronounced. This in my opinion gives everyone a very unique and interesting appearance.

I also love the way everyone outside a certain character has very plain and nondescript hair. I have to say it's very refreshing to see such a look in an anime and it makes for a much welcomed change.

Although you'd think this would make everyone mesh together, the mannerisms of each character shine through and each have enough personality that helps from everyone blending together. Speaking of which...

Characters: I won't go into too much detail in regards to characters as I feel it would not only spoil the show and its atmosphere, but since I'm only on episode 6 I don't believe I'm qualified enough to discuss the characters that encompass this show. I will say however the main characters friends always get a chuckle out of me. The way they interact with each-other seems very lifelike and the expressions on their faces and the way they walk and move and converse is very believable.

Music: The music in this show is very unconventional, like the show itself but works extremely well in queuing up the forthcoming scenes and the tone that they entail. A lot of people listen to the OP and ED music of shows beforehand but I'd advise not listening to the ED music before watching this show. It's pretty surreal each and every time I hear it. Pretty amazing stuff overall.

Pace: Pace is a weird thing to discuss but I think in this instance its discussion is mandatory. The pace of this show is fucking on point. I've never been so engrossed and invested in a show in God knows how long, if ever. My eyes are glued to the screen and I can't let go. Every corner holds more secrets waiting to be unravelled and I'm always left with a sick feeling in my stomach not knowing what awaits me. Never have I been so immersed in a show, not wanting to stop as I watch each episode. Interested in what each revelation leads to, like somebody has grabbed my hand and is pulling me along as my feet move by themselves, uncontrollably...and yet I want to know where this person is taking me. Where does this path lead to? Will I like it? What will I think of it?

Summery: I could go on and on and on but so far I am loving this more than I ever expected. The music is mesmerizing and the visuals are hauntingly beautiful. I've never found myself in the same position as the main character, but watching this has me wondering how I'd react in this situation, what I'd do the same or what I'd do differently as the scenario at hand plays in front of me. I have no control over what happens and I just have to sit there and watch.

I have no idea how the show will progress from here but I plan to finish it tomorrow as I watch the last 7 episodes. As the slow meandering plot speeds up and pulls me deeper into the rabbit hole, I only smile at what awaits me. Will I like the way it ends? What will I think of it? All I can say is right here and right now, I love it.

Did you just make a qualitative judgment?

Clearly I need to go somewhere else for Objective Anime Dub Reviews.

Clarification: Only specifically tagged posts from this account (user designation "KuwabaraTheMan") are considered to be objective reviews. All non-designated posts represent only the user's own opinion, and are not endorsed by the Committee for the Advancement of Objective Reviews™.

So I just started a blind viewing of Aku no Hana (Flowers of Evil) today, and I just finished Episode 6 so I thought that I'd write a bit about my impressions so far...I guess I'll start by saying...wow.

Music: The music in this show is very unconventional, like the show itself but works extremely well in queuing up the forthcoming scenes and the tone that they entail. A lot of people listen to the OP and ED music of shows beforehand but I'd advise not listening to the ED music before watching this show. It's pretty surreal each and every time I hear it. Pretty amazing stuff overall.

The use of music in this show is second to none. The use of the ED song is particularly noteworthy, as in every single episode the haunting voices kick in at the perfect time. I really appreciate how there are multiple different versions of the ED song, so that it can be adjusted to match the subtle mood differences between the endings of the different episodes. And Episode 7... well, you'll see.

Pace: Pace is a weird thing to discuss but I think in this instance its discussion is mandatory. The pace of this show is fucking on point. I've never been so engrossed and invested in a show in God knows how long, if ever. My eyes are glued to the screen and I can't let go. Every corner holds more secrets waiting to be unravelled and I'm always left with a sick feeling in my stomach not knowing what awaits me. Never have I been so immersed in a show, not wanting to stop as I watch each episode. Interested in what each revelation leads to, like somebody has grabbed my hand and is pulling me along as my feet move by themselves, uncontrollably...and yet I want to know where this person is taking me. Where does this path lead to? Will I like it? What will I think of it?

Yeah, the pacing of the show is really second to none. The direction does a great job of really building up the suspense in each scene, and allowing each scene to really play out to its full potential. I really appreciate that the show has the confidence in its own audience to not feel like it has to rush things or constantly have 'shit happening'. The music and the visuals complement this really well, as you touched on as well.

Episodes 7 and 8 have what are two of my personal highlights of the entire show, so I hope you really enjoy those. The whole series is really a special show.

javac

my god , that gurren lagan package ..( for UK )

Did someone here got it ? i'm tempted ..i'm really tempted... should i jump and buy it ?

I have it. The package over all is nice, but they have had an issue in regards to one of the trays in the digi-pack moving out of place due to the glue not being left to set properly. They are replacing them for free however if you do find that to be an issue.

There are three times in the show that the quality drops to DVD due to the master they received from Aniplex not having any footage at those moments, so they spliced in the DVD footage in.

The issues are during:
Episode 5: 20:47 – 20:56 (9 seconds)
Episode 7: 08:29 – 08:42 (13 seconds)
Episode 10: 17:27 (momentary)

I could tell, but it didn't bother me. Just thought that I'd let you know. If you have any questions you may find them answered in the thread I made here and my crappy pics of the set are here.

EDIT:

The use of music in this show is second to none. The use of the ED song is particularly noteworthy, as in every single episode the haunting voices kick in at the perfect time. I really appreciate how there are multiple different versions of the ED song, so that it can be adjusted to match the subtle mood differences between the endings of the different episodes. And Episode 7... well, you'll see.

Yup the music is fantastic. It's very unpredictable and the shifts in tone are superbly done in a way that helps that feeling of uncertainty. The ED song is fantastic and is woven into each episode beautifully. I look forward to EP 7 :)

Yeah, the pacing of the show is really second to none. The direction does a great job of really building up the suspense in each scene, and allowing each scene to really play out to its full potential. I really appreciate that the show has the confidence in its own audience to not feel like it has to rush things or constantly have 'shit happening'. The music and the visuals complement this really well, as you touched on as well.

Episodes 7 and 8 have what are two of my personal highlights of the entire show, so I hope you really enjoy those. The whole series is really a special show.

Yeah the pacing in this show is just amazing. I've never felt this amount of freedom in a show if that makes any sense. I feel like the director is allowing me to discover everything for myself without any hand holding or foreshadowing. It makes for a more engrossing and engaging story that keeps me hooked by my own will, I really want to see more.

I could tell that EP 7 is going to be amazing, really excited to finish the show tomorrow :) It's a special show that's for sure, sad it didn't seem to resonate with more people. The anime industry needs more shows like this I feel. Still, 7 more episodes left!

Sorry for my crappy writing by the way, I really like writing about the shows I've watched so sorry if I waffle and go off on a tangent at times. I'm not a good writer :$

Branduil

@ANNZac
Mononoke bluray doesn't have the "literal english translation" sub from the DVD. Dubtitled with some changes.

It's depressing how awful the physical media market in the west has become. We either get garbage quality disks, box sets so expensive that only the five richest kings in Europe can own them, or both.

Klueless Kareless Klub 3-4

I laughed at the PRD joke. No dying pls.

I forgot how that one girl has that massive ahageo on her head though. It was one of the things that grabbed my attention last summer.

Jarmel

Banned
Big Hero 6-

Bloated. Should have been a duo movie about the kid and the robot. Other team members were more detrimental than beneficial.

Big Hero 6-

Bloated. Should have been a duo movie about the kid and the robot. Other team members were more detrimental than beneficial.

Yeah. I watched that today. I enjoyed it as far as a children movie. But I was left wanting more from the other members and didn't get jack. Also after Interstellar the emotional aspect of the film felt extremely shallow in comparison as I have seen that a thousand times in the way they presented it. Still I can hope a sequel fixes my complaints. Assuming it gets one of course.

Mature

Could someone fill me in on the difference between regular subtitles and dubtitles? Does the dubtitle have all the nuanced localization of the dub or something?

I don't think I've ever heard the word before.

Jarmel

Banned
Yeah. I watched that today. I enjoyed it as far as a children movie. But I was left wanting more from the other members and didn't get jack. Also after Interstellar the emotional aspect of the film felt extremely shallow in comparison as I have seen that a thousand times in the way they presented it. Still I can hope a sequel fixes my complaints. Assuming it gets one of course.

The kid being super pissed at the world was really good. It's just that the other team members took time away from his own emotional struggle. It also 'cleaned' Hiro up a bit too easily.

Shitty ensemble movie.

Midonin

Could someone fill me in on the difference between regular subtitles and dubtitles? Does the dubtitle have all the nuanced localization of the dub or something?

Dubtitle is a closed-captioning of the English track, as opposed to a translation of the Japanese track. I've only encountered it once (Moldiver), but it's an annoying thing.

Dubtitle is a term generally used to refer to 'subtitles' which aren't actually subtitles at all, but are rather just the script for the dub (eg, the same thing you would see if you watched the dub with closed captioning on).

So, normally you might have something like:

translation made -> subtitles produced from translation
-> dub produced from translation

instead, with dubtitles you would have

translation -> dub script written -> dub script put as 'subtitles' to the Japanese version even if there were notable differences in the meaning of specific lines

Crabapples of the Going Home Club 5

Why are these girls so violent in their recreations of old folktales? Even with the "fated" encounter in my japanese harem shows, it ended with violence. I can understand Botan being violent, but not the rest. Maybe they're secretly violent, or as Botan said, preparing for the shift to a battle shounen.

Also there was a Monster Hunter joke.

Narag

lZQwlPbl.png

You'll basically get the left instead of the right option there.

Top: CC track
Bottom: Subtitle track

Fox318

Very few anime have good dubs anyway.

Evangelion, ghost in the shell, Ookiku Furikabutte, and Cowboy bebop are probably the best I've heard.

JCG

In certain situations I can live with dubtitles, depending on how fitting the results of dub adaptation are for a given show, but it's still far from ideal.

I do have to wonder why they did that when this is a relatively mainstream product that's already been released with proper subtitles before.

I didn't even finish that episode because of him.

I almost considered stopping as well. Hes just such a shitbag.

Whoa, whoa. The director made Full-Naked Hypnotist, Nectar & Clover, AND Grief in the Shell. The Naked Hypnotist, Honey and Clovers, and Long Distance Riot Police.

You forgot the critically acclaimed Jiggly Jiggly Heaven.

The director is amazing. Sure, he might be indecisive and he's taking a long time to complete his work, but he has real passion for making anime, and he clearly has a lot of talent. It doesn't excuse his flakiness with the storyboards, but he's not inept. Tarou is a different story. He's a complete piece of shit.

Tardiness in an industry like anime shouldnt be excused. I guess he has the talent but hes just so lazy and keeps acting childish, it really grates me.

Fox318

evangelion starts out very rough.

I like Fullmetal Alchemist's
For the time they did a great job.

Fullmetal was pretty good.

I can't ever see myself recommending many dubs to people.

The studio ghilbi stuff is good but Disney wants to market everything to a family audience here and I always have a suspension that they have cut shit out.

Bad dubs can kill a property. Look what it did to one piece

Denpa Teki na Kanojo 01-02

Delinquent gets stalked by a crazy girl, and then gets caught up in a murder mystery. The entire cast is crazy. It was enjoyable, but didn't really have a conclusion and makes me want more.

Chronicles of the Acting Club 6

The 19th segment was probably the best part of the show, mainly because they just took so many opportunities to fuck with Sakura, from ignoring her for monster hunter, to stating she was killed off first because she was the only one capable of seeing the bombs.

Lain

Psycho-Pass 2 ep 3-4

It's maddening seeing that rookie inspector working with Akane doubting Akane like that and making a shit job when it counts.
These 2 episodes were pretty gruesome and sad too. I'm loving this second season but it feels darker than the first in a way.

Fate/Stay Night 1

[IM]http://i.minus.com/iHhOeTosrE2Mg.gif[/IMG]

Worse than Fate/Zero episode 1.

Every episode of FSN, for me at least, just felt like one more episode of "I wish this were Fate Zero." I guess I was hoping Ufotable production values could make me like the story more but unfortunately no. It couldn't.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works
Parasyte
Shingeki no Bahamut: Genesis
Shirobako
The more I watch of the season the more I'm convinced that the only two shows I look forward to on a week to week basis are Rage of Bahamut and Parasyte. Many here are also enjoying Shirobako or w/e it's callled.
Parasyte
ShiroBako
Fate Stay Night

Man, is there no good Hanayamata-ish slice of life/learning anime this season?

Every episode of FSN, for me at least, just felt like one more episode of "I wish this were Fate Zero." I guess I was hoping Ufotable production values could make me like the story more but unfortunately no. It couldn't.

Fate/Zero is incredible and I agree its better than Fate/Stay Night, but you kind of have to go into F/SN knowing that its a completely different beast than Fate/Zero and its a slower grind too. Visual Novel adaptations are never easy, but so far its a lot better than the mediocre DEEN one.

Chronicles of the Going to Bed Club 7

Lets throw a surprise party and brainstorm ideas for Natsuki... while she's in the room!

And that was probably the most interesting game of shiratori I've seen in animu so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom