• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
lZQwlPbl.png

You'll basically get the left instead of the right option there.

Top: CC track
Bottom: Subtitle track

Regarding the donkey piss thing I read about why that was changed. In japan, calling soup watery is a great insult but american audiences wouldnt really understand how bad the soup is so they referred to it in disgusting terms to really emphasize that the monk hates the soup.

PK Gaming

Ahh, thank you very much! Didn't think i'd get the lyrics for a while, haha. I love how the other spirits play off Kokkuri-san.

Man, is there no good Hanayamata-ish slice of life/learning anime this season?

So what you're looking for is:

-Cast of cute girls
-Working through various day to day problems
-With copious amounts of blushing
-Some cute and fluffy moments with a spice of drama
-A dash of Yuri undertones
-And a charismatic eccentric blond foreign girl

Yeah... I think can help you with that.

67045.jpg

ahahahahahahahaha

cajunator

Banned
Ahh, thank you very much! Didn't think i'd get the lyrics for a while, haha. I love how the other spirits play off Kokkuri-san.

-Cast of cute girls

67045.jpg

ahahahahahahahaha

Chloe is a cutieeeeeee though.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

-Cast of cute girls

67045.jpg

ahahahahahahahaha

Isn't that show some kind of weird adaptation of a girlfriend dating app? lol

I have it. The package over all is nice, but they have had an issue in regards to one of the trays in the digi-pack moving out of place due to the glue not being left to set properly. They are replacing them for free however if you do find that to be an issue.

There are three times in the show that the quality drops to DVD due to the master they received from Aniplex not having any footage at those moments, so they spliced in the DVD footage in.

The issues are during:
Episode 5: 20:47 – 20:56 (9 seconds)
Episode 7: 08:29 – 08:42 (13 seconds)
Episode 10: 17:27 (momentary)

I could tell, but it didn't bother me. Just thought that I'd let you know. If you have any questions you may find them answered in the thread I made here and my crappy pics of the set are here.

EDIT:

Yup the music is fantastic. It's very unpredictable and the shifts in tone are superbly done in a way that helps that feeling of uncertainty. The ED song is fantastic and is woven into each episode beautifully. I look forward to EP 7 :)

Yeah the pacing in this show is just amazing. I've never felt this amount of freedom in a show if that makes any sense. I feel like the director is allowing me to discover everything for myself without any hand holding or foreshadowing. It makes for a more engrossing and engaging story that keeps me hooked by my own will, I really want to see more.

I could tell that EP 7 is going to be amazing, really excited to finish the show tomorrow :) It's a special show that's for sure, sad it didn't seem to resonate with more people. The anime industry needs more shows like this I feel. Still, 7 more episodes left!

Sorry for my crappy writing by the way, I really like writing about the shows I've watched so sorry if I waffle and go off on a tangent at times. I'm not a good writer :$
Thank you for the impressions and details , will check

-Cast of cute girls

67045.jpg

ahahahahahahahaha

I guess i must add one more show in my watching list ?

StayDead

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 #26

It's over. Their mission and the first part of the Yamato series is finished. What a show, everything about it hit the right spot for me and I loved every single second of it. That ending though, my eyes are leaking fluid and I don't know why ;_;

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon R: Episode 53

Poor Ami, couldn't even get a focus episode to explain the new Bubble Spary Freezing, which I do admit, does make the base attack less lame, not all that much less, but beggars can not be choosers. Anyway, this episode focuses on Mamoru and Usagi awkwardly taking care of a baby after a Cardian attack and the most irresponsible hospital ever. Of course, hilarity ensure and the cardrums are assailed by the sounds of a baby whining while we learn that should Mamoru and Usagi ever have a kid, Mamoru is the one going to be doing the actual work while Usagi tries to help out but just sort of gets in the way. Anyway, recommendation to avoid because seriously this was mainly a tedious pile of nothing even by the standards of the Doom Tree arc.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance

-Cast of cute girls

67045.jpg

ahahahahahahahaha

I like to call this series Sunday Mid-Afternoon Nap Time.

phaze

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 #26

It's over. Their mission and the first part of the Yamato series is finished. What a show, everything about it hit the right spot for me and I loved every single second of it. That ending though, my eyes are leaking fluid and I don't know why ;_;

The sheer size of that asspull made you weep and long for quality writing in anime
? :p

Ergo Proxy 08

Did he, did he just ...

Wut.

I hope this won't turn into
"collect all the proxies" kind of thing.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon R: Episode 53

So standing in stark contrast to the last episode, we have Rei's power up episode where not only does she get the focus but we get some actual insight into her day-to-day life as I think this is the first time we see Rei at her school, a prestigious Catholic-run all-girls academy. This being an anime of course there is going to be yuri undertones everywhere, I think that is just one of the law tropes of the genre. Anyway, I actually liked this episode as it thrust Rei out of her usual role and makes her much more tolerable and we get to see new insights on her character like she is apparently an accomplished musician to some degree. Indeed, I noticed they dialed back the eternal rivalry a few notches and it is welcome. Anyway, yea, this episode is recommended, nothing too amazing but I didn't feel like my time was wasted.

cajunator

Banned
Im gonna go ahead and open my Sailor Moon set and really see what the picture looks like. Its more a collectors item for me than anything else, so PQ isnt the hugest issue. the artbook is really cool and the packaging is great.
The comparison shots Ive seen dont seem like a dealbreaker although the ghosting could be an issue if I notice it.

cajunator

Banned
Hmm. Sailor Moon BD looks fine to me. Its an old series so I expect it to look that way but I dont see the big deal. Maybe Im not enough of a videophile.

Very few anime have good dubs anyway.

Evangelion, ghost in the shell, Ookiku Furikabutte, and Cowboy bebop are probably the best I've heard.

I also prefer Code Geass' dub to it's sub. Don't get me wrong, the Japanese voices aren't bad, it's just that I watched the dub first and it'd take a lot of getting used to. That and I think JYB does a great job as Lelouch.

Fate Zero 23:
Why did Gil not gain any pleasure from beating Rider? Surely he would have loved to destroy Riders dream and humiliate this mongrel playing king. But, the entire fight he was showing absolute respect to Rider, and wasn't talking down to him. This is coming from the sadistic arrogant king who would never ever treat anyone as an equal.

Fate Zero:
*snip*

All right first of all, there's some heavy spoilers there pal. It's probably for the best if you tag that and list which episode number you're talking about where said spoiler happens.

Second of all, I think
Gil did in fact take satisfaction in beating Rider. The only reason he didn't show any of it was because he saw Rider as a worthy opponent. He was impressed by his Noble Phantasm, and such decided to use his full strength against it. That and he was also impressed by Waver's loyalty to him, by not seeking revenge for Rider when he knows that will only get him killed.

All right first of all, there's some heavy spoilers there pal. You'd best tag that and list which episode number you're talking about where said spoiler happens.

Second of all, I think
Gil did in fact take satisfaction in beating Rider. The only reason he didn't show any of it was because he saw Rider as a worthy opponent. He was impressed by his Noble Phantasm, and such decided to use his full strength against it. That and he was also impressed by Waver's loyalty to him, by not seeking revenge for Rider when he knows that will only get him killed.

The use of their Noble Phantasm was a bit stupid.
So Gil NP is so powerful that destroy worlds which is why he can't use it normally... But look at that, Rider NP happens to teleport them to his own bubble world! Welp. Hardest counter ever. Any other opponent and Rider's NP would be great, and any other opponent and Gil couldn't use his.

Saudades

Fate Zero 23:
Why did Gil not gain any pleasure from beating Rider? Surely he would have loved to destroy Riders dream and humiliate this mongrel playing king. But, the entire fight he was showing absolute respect to Rider, and wasn't talking down to him. This is coming from the sadistic arrogant king who would never ever treat anyone as an equal.
This is not the same Gil from the beginning of the series (episode 5, I believe) who considers himself too good to stand on equal ground with others. Gil has gained a certain respect for Rider after seeing his prowess and ideal (episode 11). Heck if they weren't in a battle royale and Gil doesn't already have that one and only friend (
Enkidu
) he might have been total bros with Rider (like how they are in Carnival Phantasm).
The use of their Noble Phantasm was a bit stupid.
So Gil NP is so powerful that destroy worlds which is why he can't use it normally... But look at that, Rider NP happens to teleport them to his own bubble world! Welp. Hardest counter ever. Any other opponent and Rider's NP would be great, and any other opponent and Gil couldn't use his.
I think Gil is meant to be a foil for Rider here,
with his NP, probably the strongest in the canon, representing an insurmountable threat against Rider's dream, yet he still charges towards it in his death march.
And since Gil actually (minor FSN spoilers)
uses Ea a bunch of times in FSN with lower output
it is not just a specific counter to Rider's NP. Though if I didn't know about it prior to watching the scene it'd look like an asspull to me too.
And Rider's army while of epic proportion is a bit impractical, since Rider always leads the charge. If anyone can wipe him out (with some big ass beam like Saber) before the rest of the army reaches them it will be their win. The only enemy who is shown losing to the army is
Assassin
, which is a damn low bar, so we pretty much have no idea how effective it actually is fielding against good Servants.

High-Scool Seha Girls - 5

This is not the Phantasy Star episode I expected -_-.

But it was still an entertaining episode nonetheless. I liked the parts that involved the girls trying to get the otaku to get out of his house. With Puyo Puyos.

Still waiting on that Sonic the Hedgehog episode Sega!
Please don't make them go into Sonic Boom.

High-Scool Seha Girls - 5

This is not the Phantasy Star episode I expected -_-.

But it was still an entertaining episode nonetheless. I liked the parts that involved the girls trying to get the otaku to get out of his house. With Puyo Puyos.

Still waiting on that Sonic the Hedgehog episode Sega!
Please don't make them go into Sonic Boom.

we got trolled , the PS episode is this week...

silly seha girls !!!

phaze

Ergo Proxy 09

Gotta catch them all.

So I'm assuming
Vincent and Re-L had the same deal going on as Kazkiz and Senex
. And who the hell is Monad ? The production values of the first episode are nowhere to be seen, shame really, the action scenes in those two last episodes would really benefit from some additional cash thrown at them.

Midonin

Ryuusei Sentai Musumet 04-08

Episode 4 was one of my favorites from the series, because it dealt with Kurenai's love of tokusatsu heroes, and helping out what is clearly supposed to be a Kamen Rider. Aoi and Midori even got to dress up. I can place one of the costumes as Tackle from Stronger, but the other one is evading me. It's the general style a lot of heroines in the 70s and 80s wore.

Then comes a multi-episode arc. Kurenai falling into a funk about being a hero and the possibility of hurting other people lasted longer than I thought it would, but there was plenty of other stuff happening around it, including the first appearance of Otomet. Their costumes are full-body, closer to a typical superheroine outfit, but also strip them down to glowing undies if they get past the time limit. More powerful than Musumet, but at a price.

And they're going to be the main characters for a few episodes. It's not super often that a show does that, so I'm curious what this span of episodes is going to be like. In many respects, it's a typical cute girls action show of its era, but the combination of Sentai and western influences make it just the kind of thing I'm looking for, especially after watching heavier shows like Shigofumi or Shrine Maiden. Uta-Kata and Nanoha both influenced magical girls to this day, but this show may have a few descendants on the fringes. (Like Twintails.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom