• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going internetless for 3-4 weeks is a great way to burn through a backlog! Just wanted to throw some of my thoughts down on ...

Aura Maryuuinkouga Saigo no Tatakai -

hC8ryv3.jpg

On the surface I think comparisons to Chuunibyou are pretty apt, it's pulling a lot of the same themes with an MC who's gotten "out" of the 8th grade syndrome style delusions who is confronted with other characters who've maintained them while making that transition. At that point though the two narratives distinctly diverge, where as chuunib was content with making a fun and lighthearted rom/com set in the idealized higschool environment Aura goes and takes a more realistic extension of what being eccentric in a highschool world really means. It's distinctly Flower of Evil-esque in its refusal to gloss over or completely ignore some of the nastier aspects of that environment and there are scenes that will actively make you uncomfortable if for no other reason than bringing back flashbacks of "that odd/weird guy in class". Rarely have I seen bullying ever really depicted as brutally as it was in Aura and the dynamic between the "normal" MC and the female lead is most certainly strengthened as the result of the external pressure put on their relationship. There's an angle here that's fully explored that Chuu-2 never attempted to tackle and as a piece dealing with this specific subject material it's much stronger as a result.

If you're at all familiar with Chu-2 or are otherwise interested in a work that turns the typical idealization of the highschool environment on its head then you owe it to yourself to check out Aura in your spare time, it does not disappoint.

---

Now to go catch up on a month of new episodes of like 10 new shows. Yay?

Akame ga kill - 19
Hum ...This episode was really good , much entertaining , justice -chan gave her all and
died full of regrets
...all is good

Akame%20ga%20Kill%21%20-%2019.jpg

yep , broken and hypocrite character

I'm however not a fan of the preview , they better not butcher the end because it would suck SO MUCH , we're in a weird filler mode, FMA-style now and i think i won't like what i'm seeing ...

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Well, let me see, I suppose I should consider what my AOTY list will look like.

10.Nozaki-Kun
9. Stardust Crusaders
8. Sagebu!
7. Parasyte
6. Ping-Pong
5. Barakamon
4. Shirobako
3. Gundam Build Fighters/Build Fighters Try
2. Log Horizon Seasons 1 and 2
1. Space Dandy

Moyashimon Returns 11

Everything gets worked out and they go home with some stories they can tell. And there's a third season teaser... Any chance of it happening though?

It's more Moyashimon, it's still good, and the comedy slightly better than the first season. The France stuff was interesting enough, and it's a chance to get to know something else than just sake info too. :p

Nice OP as well, even if it's not live-action this time.

Just as good as the first season so 3.5/5 moe microbes:
x0Hmhc7.png
x0Hmhc7.png
x0Hmhc7.png
Hm2ITIe.png
q4hW2L6.png

Moyashimon Returns 11

Everything gets worked out and they go home with some stories they can tell. And there's a third season teaser... Any chance of it happening though?

It's more Moyashimon, it's still good, and the comedy slightly better than the first season. The France stuff was interesting enough, and it's a chance to get to know something else than just sake info too. :p

Nice OP as well, even if it's not live-action this time.

Just as good as the first season so 3.5/5 moe microbes:
x0Hmhc7.png
x0Hmhc7.png
x0Hmhc7.png
Hm2ITIe.png
q4hW2L6.png

I doubt we're going to be seeing a 3rd season to Moyashimon, I wish that we will though.

Also I love the OP as well, I'm a sucker for ClariS songs!

Jex

Not exactly, but its reputation isn't stellar because of:

1) Its reliance on moe-isms
2) Its lack of character development, that 180 in the finale of S1 soured a lot of people on the whole thing
3) The cash-grabby nature of S2
4) As far as KyoAni works go, it punctuated Hyouka and Tamako Market, both widely considered way better than Chuu2
5) Its effect on the industry is pretty negative overall. Hardly a season goes by without some shitty light novel adaptation making overt references to chuuni. Maybe it's correlation rather than causation but most anime fans didn't know what chuuni meant before Chuunibyou and now it's, like, a standard part of anime lexicon.
I'm shocked you didn't mention the very first OP!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Greg Ayres is certainly a leading candidate for ugliest hairstyles ever conceived in the history of man.

Firemind

Shingeki no Bahamut 06: Well that wasn't as bad as deus ex horse but lol.
Are the keys needed or not? Shit makes no sense.

The angels telling the king to chaperone Amira because it is of the utmost importance to keep her from harm's way and then proceed to not give a shit and let her get away was also hilarious.

I'm pretty sure the hooded man is
Jeanne's lieutenant.
And Favaro is
the hero in the prophecy.
It's fairly predictable stuff.

What are your go to Gundam series'. Out of interest.

Gundam is 2 things :

Watch & Avoid
For the sake of not making a long list , 'ill just post the "avoid" and "barely ok but you can watch it"

Barely ok
-Gundam wing
-Gundam 00 : S1

Avoid:
-Gundam Age
-Gundam 00 : S2
-Gundam Seed destiny

The rest can be enjoyed by anyone

Gundam series i haven't seen or finished : SD gundam , gundam unicorn , turn a gundam

dan2026

Gundam is 2 things :

Watch & Avoid
For the sake of not making a long list , 'ill just post the "avoid" and "barely ok but you can watch it"

Barely ok
-Gundam wing
-Gundam 00 : S1

Avoid:
-Gundam Age
-Gundam 00 : S2
-Gundam Seed destiny

The rest can be enjoyed by anyone

Gundam series i haven't seen or finished : SD gundam , gundam unicorn , turn a gundam

Ok fair enough thanks for the list. But forcing your hand, if you had to pick one series to recommend I start from, what would you pick?
Gut feeling.

Midonin

Trinity Seven 06

Liselotte is so strong even Arata can't beat her on the first try. That's quite the challenge. And now the Headmaster's getting involved. The training was sufficiently lewd, and the magic system is more consistent than Magical Warfare's. It's pretty much what I'd expect for a Tuesday show.

Working!! S2 13

Poor normal girl.

Rumors gets spread and everybody gets upset.

Well, there's more funny parts in this season compared to the first and Taneshima and Yamada are still good. Some of the new characters aren't too bad either.

But then there's all the romance stuff that's even worse than the first season. Nobody is ever taking any hints, there's misunderstandings about everything and the way Soma prevents the Yamadas meeting in episode 8 made me want to pull my hair out. At least have some of the main characters not be total idiots.

Other shows I've watched that I've thought have been bad has been mostly just boring, but I think this one is actually giving me gastric acid because of all the stupid shit the characters do.

Even the good things about this can't save it from the bad, so 1.5/5 Working'!! logos:
Mafr8BE.png
fcMxqSZ.png
gDGJjkV.png
gDGJjkV.png
gDGJjkV.png

Crocodile

The angels telling the king to chaperone Amira because it is of the utmost importance to keep her from harm's way and then proceed to not give a shit and let her get away was also hilarious.

Jeanne's lieutenant.
And Favaro is

What here doesn't make sense? We've known about both keys and their importance since like episode 2 (if not episode 1). We've known both are needed to free Bahamut but that the mere theft of the God Key weakened the seal and has caused the angels to freak out (also from episode 2). Amira was locked away behind a magically sealed door with guards standing out front. Jeanne's lieutenant obviously knocked the guards out (we see a shot of them hunched over as Amria steps outside) out and would likely know how to break that magical seal.

Like are you actually watching the show? It's pretty clear what is going on and when/why.

I'm calling
Amira
as the hero based on the opening though. Predictable is only bad when you are going for inherently shitty tropes or the execution is off and that isn't the case here (though I recognize this is subjective :p).

duckroll

Jeanne's lieutenant.
And Favaro is

- I think Bahamut was sealed by splitting its soul into two, and each part being contained by Zeus and Satan respectively. Both would be required to fully awaken Bahamut, but one half is now on the move since it's inside Amira, and that is enough to make Bahamut unstable, causing disturbances in the world. Bahamut is basically the "end of the world" in dragon form.

- The angels tend to not interfere with the human world. Jeanne is an exception because Michael seems to fancy her potential, the other angels are not exactly thrilled with the idea. Leaving Amira in the capital seems to be part of a ploy though. They're waiting to see who comes after her, because the big question is who is behind this to begin with.

- The identity of the hooded guy isn't a mystery. Unless you're completely spacing out while watching the show, there's a huge close up in the episode as he removes his hood. :p

- The chosen hero is more likely
Amira, since the pose in the statue is the identical pose she has with a sword on the top of Bahamut's head at the end of the OP. Clearly this probably also means that the prophecy is not entirely as it seems.

Hope that clears stuff up! :)

Ok fair enough thanks for the list. But forcing your hand, if you had to pick one series to recommend I start from, what would you pick?
Gut feeling.

i'm not even a gundam fan , part of me want youto start with the first stuff , but i'm not sure this is even a good advice since it hasn't aged that well Imo.
I can't even tell you "start with G gundam" because as awesome as that was , it will give you a wrong idea on what gundam is

you know what , wing is fine as a first serie.Not the best , not the worst

If i have to go by gut feelign and abandon reason , i'll probably tell you : "Gundam X is cool, that's what make me hooked in gundam in the first place , watch this , first !!"

But that's my answer if i stop thinking

Valkyria Chronicles 01

To celebrate the release of Valkyria Chronicles on PC (go buy this!) I thought I'd watch the anime adaptation.

This feels a lot more anime than the game does. They took some liberties with the opening but I'm fine with that. I don't really like what they did with Alicia's personality. She feels a lot more tsun tsun than she ever did in the game. It appears they tried to replicate the canvas art style of the game with the shading but it doesn't look anywhere near as good. The music is still fantastic.

Grisaia - 06

kkpeyp.gif

There's something weirdly intriguing with this show, I'm not sure what it is and it's all over the place.
I imagine I'd be dropping this very early in normal circumstances, but somehow I keep returning every week.
Pls help
Also there's been a notibly lack of animal facts in these last episodes, step it up.

phaze

animegaf will unironically vote Naruto AotY in 2015 when pierrot decides to go out with a bang and the entire final cour is wall to wall crazy webgen sakuga fully key animated by shingo yamashita.

Yes please.

Man, I've seen quite a bit of hate for this one around here.

I'm getting the feeling many of you haven't seen some of the worse Gundam shows.

I refuse to believe it gets worse than Wing.

?? the writing was more than fine. the whole show was great, you have your quality anime right there.

I really tried but couldn't bring myself to care about the(often outrageous) story or characters. The last episode asspull was a cherry on the top. It was really pretty though, I'll give it that.

Ergo Proxy 12

Where Jiraiya gets drunk and proceeds to ponder about life, death, Rosseau, memories and stuff.

Just finished watching Shingeki no bahamut episode 1

You guys told me that this was good...

But i wasn't expecting it to be THIS GOOD*

what a first episode...

Valkyria Chronicles 02

Why so tsundere?

Okay, they pretty much rewrote the opening chapter of the game. It works for showing the disparity between the imperial army against the farming town's militia. We also get more personality injected into the side characters. However I really dislike what they've done with Welkin and Alicia's personalities. They're so different from the game. I guess they felt they were too mundane so they change them to fit typical anime archetypes. *sigh*

Valkyria Chronicles 02

Why so tsundere?

Okay, they pretty much rewrote the opening chapter of the game. It works for showing the disparity between the imperial army against the farming town's militia. We also get more personality injected into the side characters. However I really dislike what they've done with Welkin and Alicia's personalities. They're so different from the game. I guess they felt they were too mundane so they change them to fit typical anime archetypes. *sigh*

Well , the opening honnestly couldn't be the same as the game.. i think those changes might be for the better because IMo nothing on the characters has been lost on this change.as for welkin and alicia , it makes their character growth just longer.

don't watch VC anime....only watch it after you have played the game.

The game's story and the characters portrayed are so so much better than their anime counterparts. The anime just tries to create needless drama -____-

I refuse to believe it gets worse than Wing.

Victory. AGE. 00 S2 with its movie.
I haven't seen AGE or Victory myself, so I can't say, but I've heard many terrible things about it.

If you watch one of these (you shouldn't) you'll see that there's much worse for Gundam to offer than Wing.

If you want a really good Gundam show, there's always G Gundam.

Well , the opening honnestly couldn't be the same as the game.. i think those changes might be for the better because IMo nothing on the characters has been lost on this change.as for welkin and alicia , it makes their character growth just longer.
Don't get me wrong, I'm fine with the rewrite surrounding the battle for Bruhl but Alicia and Welkin both act so differently. It's so different that playing the game right before watching the anime is very jarring.

don't watch VC anime....only watch it after you have played the game.

The game's story and the characters portrayed are so so much better than their anime counterparts. The anime just tries to create needless drama -____-

I played it on PS3 years ago and I'm weebing it up on PC by playing with Japanese VO. The game is still bloody amazing and everyone should get it!

Don't get me wrong, I'm fine with the rewrite surrounding the battle for Bruhl but Alicia and Welkin both act so differently. It's so different that playing the game right before watching the anime is very jarring.

I played it on PS3 years ago and I'm weebing it up on PC by playing with Japanese VO. The game is still bloody amazing and everyone should get it!

Oh thank god....you will notice the anime kind of.....makes it too anime if you know what I mean. Alicia is quite different in the anime.

cajunator

Banned
Pani Poni Dash 2

I think this show is more like a case study on how boring people function around people with extraordinary features.

That being said, for being the Boring Girl, she stands out in the fact that she's specifically singled out from the rest of the nameless goon in the classroom.

EDIT

Pani Poni Dash 3

I didn't think a cowlick actually did much, but I guess it showed the Going Home Club girls, aye?

HAIR EARS.
I guess Becky is cute too.

Amagi Brilliant Park 6

Definately without a doubt the funniest episode yet and the new staff are all nutcases :D

The people I work with are nutcases. It makes working fun!

God bless Australia.

A must have for every collection.
Glad you finally got your grail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom