• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vyse deserved what he got in that adaption. :p

I am getting close to catching up to One Piece, after like ten years of watching the bloody show. What should I do with my life when I catch up to the current episode? Life won't be the same without the knowledge I have a backlog of One Piece to power through.

If you need a new challenge, you could move on to the 750+ episodes of Detective Conan.

Vyse deserved what he got in that adaption. :p

I am getting close to catching up to One Piece, after like ten years of watching the bloody show. What should I do with my life when I catch up to the current episode? Life won't be the same without the knowledge I have a backlog of One Piece to power through.

Read the manga

Necrovex

If you need a new challenge, you could move on to the 750+ episodes of Detective Conan.

I'm not sure if I'll ever be up for the challenge to watch Conan. The few episodes I have seen over the years didn't trigger any desires for me to continue the series.

Gintama and completing Hunter X Hunter are my next challenges. But I want another shonen show, outside of those two properties!

Read the manga

I enjoy watching the show so much more than reading the manga (I watch a heavily 'edited' version of the One Piece anime, so the pacing is similar to old One Piece).

wonzo

Banned
This may be the most :cajun thing I've ever seen.
nah thats nukoduke

nukoduke27.png

Detective Conan 346:
Jodie is pretty quick at lying. I guess she has to be given that she's been undercover for so long. But it's funny how Sonoko gets everything right but then Jodie is just like 'no, actually it's this fake bullshit instead'. Watching this episode, I realized that it had also been 10 episodes without the Detective Boys appearing. That feels like it might be a record? It ends here, but they're on their best behavior, particularly since the episode concerns Haibara's next step and if she's going to remain with them or not.

Gosho Aoyama also has a pretty high level of respect for his readers' intelligence (and viewers for the anime). He just sort of assumes you'll remember who James Black was despite him only making a single appearance 86 episodes ago and doesn't even bother to reintroduce the character or anything. I think we can also see the strength of the series in how many different modes it has. Right after a big Black Organization case, we go into a case with the Detective Boys, Satou and Takagi, none of whom appeared in the big previous storyline (well Takagi and Satou did have a non-speaking cameo during the credits).

I swear that for like... the last 2 or 3 months that I've been away, there's a bunch of new faces for me to poke. Is this really a breeding ground?

Gazoinks

I swear that for like... the last 2 or 3 months that I've been away, there's a bunch of new faces for me to poke. Is this really a breeding ground?

For every long-time member that becomes inactive, a new person sprouts from their corpse. It's the eternal cycle of animegaf.

Like sakura petals blown in the wind...

Just signed up for a Hummingbird account and damn is this annoying. For one, they need to add a "quick add to library" button so I'm not having to open a page for each show. And two, why not just lump together everything of a series? Does there need to be an entry for season 1, season 2, these three OVAs, some short form bonus episode that came with the manga and all that nonsense. I've gotten like halfway through this list and I'm already worn out.

Crocodile

I believe I've given reasons why the narrative is flawed, starting with the horse acting as a deus ex machina. I can't help it if you believe it isn't one just because of the horse's previous fling with Amira and because it's played for laughs.

I'm confused. Do you think simply pointing out a trope means you've somehow pointed out a critical flaw in the entirety of the narrative or proved it is defacto poor (as opposed to just fallible which basically all narratives are)? Do you think all and every single expression of a trope is equally as good/bad as any other? That's not really how it works. I can't figure out why that one event bothers you that much and it seems to bother you WAY more than it does anybody else who raised and eyebrow to it. I've already explained my piece on that so I don't think we'll ever come to an agreement on that but I feel pretty confident that I bet there are way more erogenous examples in other shows that you let slide for some reason (which as always isn't to deflect criticism but just to try to contextualize it here) :p

The show has a fair number of conveniences for the sake of plot, which I can accept given the one cour run, but some of them are tasking me a good amount of suspending my disbelief. Like I am supposed to believe the angels really are amiable by letting the group live. Sorry, but keeping Amira's emotions in check is not a legitimate reason. What is stopping them from simply exiling the group? They did try to assist Amira in triggering doomsday. Seems it'd be beneficial to off them at some point. Instead it gets ignored, they're greeted like celebrities and get to hug the king. Even Favaro is surprised!

I'm not the only one who's criticizing the show for its weak narrative and one-dimensional characters. Juggling the screen time between the main and secondary characters really did the show no favours.

Why is that not a reason? I mean I guess you don't have to like it but it doesn't run contradictory to anything we've come across so far. What do the angels gain from killing off the rest of the cast rather than imprisoning them? Again its clear they want to lure out the potential real masterminds because for all the "help" Favaro gave Amira, its clear to both them and us that he didn't have world destruction in mind. Not only are Favaro et al. not a threat to the Angels but exiling the group means they are vulnerable to capture - the demons could use them as either leverage or to try to extract information. It's unclear if the Angels are aware of the connection of Azezeal to Favaro and Kaiser but Azezeal is certainly aware of the connection (which makes him more apt to target the two if they were outside the walls) and its clear we have more to learn about their past.s

For one thing, Samurai Champloo follows an episodic structure; the conclusion of the initial plot culminating at the very end. It's about the journey, whereas with Bahamut it's about the destination. Secondly, Amira is more of an accessory, a weapon, a macguffin, than an actually interesting character. Interesting is subjective, but there really isn't a lot so far that substantiates Amira as a genuine sentient being, other than she misses her mother and likes to eat meat. Oh and she likes to slap Favaro a lot! Haha, slapstick!

Yes, I'm aware of how Samurai Champloo was structured, I've seen the show :p It seemed to me that you were stressing the nature and value of the goals of those respective characters so I responded as such. I think it's perfectly fine if you don't like Amira but it feels pretty reductive to just call her a Macguffin. She obviously has those properties due to being fused with the God Key and what not but a confused, naive (but NOT stupid) and lonely girl who likely hasn't spent much time amongst humans and doesn't know her father is a developed character and we still have more to learn about her. I'm not going to say you can write essays about the character but I dunno how you can come up with something like "no sentience" except you just don't like her. I'll be the first to admit I'm a pretty big NON-fan of moe and shit but she's been handled reasonably well.

Valkyria Chronicles would have made a great anime.

All they had to do was make a serious war epic.

I've never seen the anime (or played the game). How did they botch it to make it so bad?

Cardfight!! Vanguard: Link Joker Episode 154 (enddub)
B2NoFq2CAAA54my.png

Wow
shocked they made Aichi Sendou lose to Toshiki Kai, thought he would pull out some stunning win, but with that 39000 ATK...

I cant believe it took me this long to realize not everyone could see Psyqualia.

sonicmj1

I believe I've given reasons why the narrative is flawed, starting with the horse acting as a deus ex machina. I can't help it if you believe it isn't one just because of the horse's previous fling with Amira and because it's played for laughs.

The show has a fair number of conveniences for the sake of plot, which I can accept given the one cour run, but some of them are tasking me a good amount of suspending my disbelief. Like I am supposed to believe the angels really are amiable by letting the group live. Sorry, but keeping Amira's emotions in check is not a legitimate reason. What is stopping them from simply exiling the group? They did try to assist Amira in triggering doomsday. Seems it'd be beneficial to off them at some point. Instead it gets ignored, they're greeted like celebrities and get to hug the king. Even Favaro is surprised!

I'm not the only one who's criticizing the show for its weak narrative and one-dimensional characters. Juggling the screen time between the main and secondary characters really did the show no favours.

For one thing, Samurai Champloo follows an episodic structure; the conclusion of the initial plot culminating at the very end. It's about the journey, whereas with Bahamut it's about the destination. Secondly, Amira is more of an accessory, a weapon, a macguffin, than an actually interesting character. Interesting is subjective, but there really isn't a lot so far that substantiates Amira as a genuine sentient being, other than she misses her mother and likes to eat meat. Oh and she likes to slap Favaro a lot! Haha, slapstick!

I don't think talking through the plot points would do much good, because it feels like you have some more fundamental complaint about the show. Bahamut is not an episodic show, nor did it ever promise to be one. It opened with an elaborate sequence showing Bahamut's sealing. Favaro has portentious dreams of Bahamut's revival before the end of the first episode. It's called "Rage of Bahamut: Genesis". The show is, and has always been, centered around Bahamut's revival, and the events that create the setting of the F2P mobile game.

You might argue that this squanders the show's greatest strengths in its early going, in how Favaro's recklessness freely motivated the plot. That could be true (I'd love to just watch Favaro go on adventures), but it doesn't give enough credit to the character work the show continues to do. The demons and angels might be pretty one-dimensional (I kind of love them for it), but the whole primary cast continue to get a lot of development. Favaro has gotten a lot of texture in the last few episodes without really compromising or contradicting the jerk that he was at the start. The challenges created by Favaro's actions, build conflict within Kaisar's character that have pushed him past the proud, reckless facade he projected at the series' opening. Even your characterization of Amira doesn't give her enough credit. Did you forget her first time in the tavern, her first dance, her first swim in the lake? She's a very innocent, naive figure, open to new experiences and delights, with no patience for things that slow her down. She's not just a tempermental, nostalgic glutton. Even Jeanne is more than a hardened knight, and going by her feelings toward the prophecy, not in the ways you might expect.

Rita could be better. Since she left town (and I liked the peek behind her cynical facade we got there), she's just been the detached, aloof one pushing everyone forward. It's hard to tell how the journey has changed her so far. And I hope Amira will get to do things again soon, since captivity doesn't really suit her. But the show you describe seems to be a series of utterly random events carried out by bland ciphers, which doesn't fit with what I've seen so far at all. The journey is changing everyone involved in it, and that's as rewarding for me as all the great action.

Yuki Yuna is a Hero - 2

It's no secret this show borrows a lot from Madoka. Thankfully though, so far, it doesn't seem like it's trying to BE Madoka.

There's a sense of mystery in the alternate dimension or whatever, but the comradery between the four girls is keeping things upbeat.

I like the system where if they cause too much collateral damage in the alternate dimension, it will affect the real world as well, meaning that if they're careless, they could do more harm than good.

So yeah, I'm legit interested in seeing where this goes.

Parasyte 1&2
So far, based on these 2 episodes, I think the show is enjoyable. I really do not have much to complain about. I love the main character so far. The story is certainly intriguing for me. good choice of music for this type of show, dub step really fits it. Cannot wait to watch the other episodes to see what else there is.

I died during the bathroom scene
when migi was trying to get izumi aroused

Gundam Build Fighters Try 5

It's funny this is probably one of the weaker episodes as a whole across both GBF seasons, and yet it was still really entertaining and got me hyped at the end when Burning Build Fighter powered up, got the theme playing, and wrecked the foe.

I got hyped the moment the swimming team were shown in action. I can't wait to find out why a swimming team are playing gunpla battle.

I've heard Animegaf hates anime, no wonder you don't recognize anyone, they all leave because they hate anime.

Then why are you here, considering I recognize you before you were even an animugaffrar?

I recognize people, but there's a slew of slackjaws up and about in here!

Chronicles of the Lying Ass Sakura Club 11

I wonder if the first segment of the Botan x Sakura dealio was a load of shit too.

Syrinx

Code Geass 2

That battle was cool, I gotta say. They're coming on way too strong with the chess symbolism though.

Oh okay then,
they're brothers

Pani Poni Dash 5

Boring Girl is so boring she forgot her own existence. TRAGIC

Why is Ichijou such a troll? She just gets her kicks fucking with everyone. I'm surprised they still drag her everywhere despite that.

Jintor

There's a few issues, but if you liked the first season you'll like the second.

It's more Log Horizon, despite all the fuss things haven't really changed much.

Pretty terrible, its like they forgot that Tohya squad are important characters.

if i run that last post through the dtl filter it still comes out as kind of 'eh'. Guess I'll watch it and see

JCG

Code Geass 2

That battle was cool, I gotta say. They're coming on way too strong with the chess symbolism though.

Oh okay then,
they're brothers

I liked the use of it purely as a visual motif and for some of the symbolism. The games are basically irrelevant window dressing, as you should realize by the lack of attention given to them even during the show. A few years later, they actually copied a real world-class chess match for an unrelated show, but I thought the extra attention to accuracy didn't add anything there.

I wish I could experience Code Geass for the first time once again, that show is incredible.

I'd say even the second or third time has its benefits, though it's not a popular choice around here.

Pani Poni Dash 6

I think the animators were on drugs when they were making this, because this was rather bizarre given the previous 5 episodes.

It was also very enjoyable for a drug trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom