• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mushishi - 05

About time a decent Mushi showed up, doing something good and being kind. And the girl getting somewhat attached to it was sweet, like she lost an old friend.
I'd say it's the less memorable episode I've seen of the show so far, though still an excellent episode. The soundtrack is pretty darn good aswell.
4aGS5h6.jpg

WataMote 02

Hm... Reminds me of a thread I read...

Meeting up with old friends you haven't seen in a while can be an emotional rollercoaster, and for Tomoko it was the greatest drawing ever, but for him it was just another background character.

Acid08

Banned
Nah.. at least the action is cool and aren't stock footage spam like in Wing.

The *sometimes* cool action does nothing to make up for the god awful bullshit that is the characters and story. Wing has really good individual moments and a plot that is at least pretty coherent from beginning to end.

Firemind

Like are you actually watching the show? It's pretty clear what is going on and when/why.
Having exposition doesn't mean it's free from being criticized. The overarching plot is dumb and here's why:

We are to believe Amira is able to steal the god key in heaven because she's a halfling. She doesn't explain why she did it and so we are left in the dark. We are led to believe she is either acting oblivious or she's a puppet of someone behind the scenes. The latter is more plausible, so why should we care about her if her wish to see her mother is a ruse? They should have done it like in Samurai Champloo and have the goal be the vehicle for the group to stick together. Instead there's all this overarching nonsense distracting us and getting in the way of our characters interacting and doing interesting things.

After she gets knocked out from her attempt to flee, protective magic saves her from pursuit; she falls through the clouds and the chase is stopped. It doesn't really explain why the angels stopped the chase. Later on, angels are seen descending from heaven to relay a message and demons using giant tentacles to interfere. There's no barrier or supreme god who forbids them from meddling with humans. So why the passivity? You'd think armageddon would concern gods and humans alike.

In a later point in time, Azazel tries to capture Amira (possibly for his own nefarious reasons), succeeds, casts her in a dungeon with little security. At this point, Amira is turned into a damsel in distress. For some reason, she's become helpless; not the ass-kicking demon we saw earlier. Her protective guardian saves her yet again from being recaptured by Azazel. He trots away and she is left... captured again. At the end of episode six, Azazel tries to chase after her with an army of dragons.

Are you getting my drift? This is getting overbearing to the point of indifference. It's so predictable. The outcome is clear. Bahamut shall awaken, there will be drama and someone will be the chosen one and put an end to it. Can we go back to hunting bounties and wild horse chases, please?

Yona of the Dawn 6

Kind of a slow episode, I'm really over these flash backs of So-Won, Hak, and Yona as either kids or teens showing how great of friends they are. Yep I get it now even if each is technically a different flash back and a different one of the three reminiscing we're not getting anything new out of it and it feels almost like filler.

I did like Yona's first step towards becoming tough, though I am disappointed the reason for her short hair was more of a desperation "cut my hair to escape the guy who grabbed it" and not a "this is my resolve to kick ass". Yeah the later is far more cliche but it would have worked really well in this series. Also of note I did like the goofy priest introduced at the end and the preview next week really seems like we're about to get the grand adventure under way.

jbug617

Banned
I can't get into Trinity Seven. I thought it was going to be a little similar to High School DxD but it just doesn't click like High School DxD does.

Blusby

Can we go back to hunting bounties and wild horse chases, please?

Ideally how the series should have been, not a fan of the "plot" at all. I'd much rather have it be a SoL revolving around quirky bounty hunters trying to get to ruseland rather than wasting all this screentime on a bunch of non characters running this hollow narrative that doesn't seem to have anything to offer. I'm enjoying it a lot still but that's mainly because of Favarro, Kaisar, and Rita being really entertaining characters.
I can't get into Trinity Seven. I thought it was going to be a little similar to High School DxD but it just doesn't click like High School DxD does.
Probably because it takes itself more seriously more often than DxD and when it does it's garbagio.

jbug617

Banned
DTL, K sequel is a "new season"
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-11-11/2015-k-anime-sequel-confirmed-as-new-season/.80921

King Records' Starchild brand confirmed on Monday that next year's K anime sequel is a "new season."

The official Twitter account for the K anime project announced last month that production on a sequel to the franchise has been green-lit for 2015. The announcement did not specify what kind of media the project would be at the time. (The most recent K anime was the sequel film K: Missing Kings.) The image posted by the staff shows character Yashiro, and reads, "Each of their bonds are..."

Majin Bone 32

I'm getting kind of frustrated with how great the cg fights look... but they keep playing out exactly the same. Good guys get wrecked the whole time by new bad guy showing off his crazy powers... and then good guys land one move on the bad guy and he retreats for no reason.

Also why is it that these anime that are supposed to be glorified tie ins for children's collectable games always are surprisingly well written with rather complex characters? The relationship between Shougo and his mother felt very natural and the character drama between the two was believable and well handled.

Majin Bone 33

Poor Swordfish, you were introduced as the biggest bad ass, now you're just a lowly jobber :'[

More of a comedic episode with some great moments and a pretty powerful ending scene between our MC and his father. The fight was great though I dunno why the bad guys even bother to bring white bones when the entire good guy team has iron bones white bones get completely trashed by irons.

Hello Anime-GAF! Now that I am a member I can finally discuss anime with everyone. However, I have not kept up with it recently, because of school work. What shows are worth checking out? This fall, summer, spring, last year etc. I have been watching Fate/stay night and am enjoying it a bit, not as much as I enjoyed Fate/zero though.

Oh and I am not the best at critiquing media, so my apologies if my reviews/thoughts sound a little lazier than most in the near future.

Mature

Hello Anime-GAF! Now that I am a member I can finally discuss anime with everyone. However, I have not kept up with it recently, because of school work. What shows are worth checking out? This fall, summer, spring, last year etc. I have been watching Fate/stay night and am enjoying it a bit, not as much as I enjoyed Fate/zero though.

Oh and I am not the best at critiquing media, so my apologies if my reviews/thoughts sound a little lazier than most in the near future.
Space Dandy, Ping Pong, Gundam Build Fighters, Stardust Crusaders for this year.

As for currently airing shows there's Shirobako, Bahamut, and Parasyte.

Midonin

Ryuusei Sentai Otomet 09-11

Switching the protagonists for a few episodes is something that doesn't happen very often, but it did show they're just as worthy of being heroes as the Musumet team, even if they're the kind of heroes who are doing it more for vanity than justice. (Speaking of justice, the return of Kamen Nanjer was a welcome thing.) I will never get tired of Shion's English, it's one of the more entertaining parts of the show.

Ryuusei Sentai Musumet 12-13 + Final Thoughts

It's about what I'd expect from a Sentai finale. The heroines work together and combine their powers for the greater good, but the problems are far from over because the meteor is still making everyone go crazy. Ultimately, my problems with the show are similar to G-On Riders, but to a lesser extent. It feels like every show from this era really grafted the romantic comedy plots onto the superheroine plots in a way that made the romcom elements feel more important. Most of the show had to do with rescuing Shirai from the Black Meteor's grip. The Finalizer that upgrade their powers was neat, and the robot head was in the show even if it never made a full robot.

I like the Sentai concept, but again, it leaves the girls feeling perphirary in their own show. This is why the first Kamen Nanjer episode was the best - Kurenai and her love of heroes was at the center of the plot. It was something that Jinsei's Ikumi would do in a better way later on. A strange little show, and again, not terrible, but as a product of its time, I feel like its focusing its plot on things that could be used elsewhere.

Speaking of strange little shows, my next backlog show is taking me even further back in time, to Seraphim Call. If Musumet is the ancestor of Twintails, then Seraphim is the ancestor of shows like Sengoku Collection.

Hello there. Feel free to share your MAL/Hummingbird account if you got one.

I see you got a Gintama avatar, you have great taste because we all know that Gintama is the pinnacle of anime.

Anyways I recommend you watch......

Barakamon (a very funny feel good anime)
Parasyte (a very great ongoing horror psychological Anime)
D-Frag ( a very good comedy)
Noragami

Notable things from this year and last include:
Space Dandy
Ping Pong
Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun
Shirobako
Mushishi S2 (watch the first if you haven't already!)
Parasyte
Noragami
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure (parts 1 through the on-hold part 3)
Space Battleship Yamato 2199
Wolf Children
Flowers of Evil
The Eccentric Family
Silver Spoon
Kyousogiga
Non Non Biyori
Yozakura Quartet: Hana no Uta
Rozen Maiden Zurückspulen
Girls Und Panzer

Space Dandy, Ping Pong, Gundam Build Fighters, Stardust Crusaders for this year.

As for currently airing shows there's Shirobako, Bahamut, and Parasyte.

Thank you, I'll be checking out Space dandy as well as Parasyte tonight after some studying.

any opinion on I Can’t Understand What My Husband is Saying? I'm hearing some positive remarks through a few friends, but I don't trust there opinion, they have bad taste in everything.

Mature

Thank you, I'll be checking out Space dandy as well as Parasyte tonight after some studying.

any opinion on I Can’t Understand What My Husband is Saying? I'm hearing some positive remarks through a few friends, but I don't trust there opinion, they have bad taste in everything.
You sound wise.

I Can't Understand what blah blah blah is a short form show, so you can't lose a whole lot by watching its three minute episodes. The ones I saw were... pretty average and kind of dumb. Seemed like a run-of-the-mill otaku insert fantasy where the MC is a loser with a moe waifu.

Crocodile

Having exposition doesn't mean it's free from being criticized. The overarching plot is dumb and here's why:

We are to believe Amira is able to steal the god key in heaven because she's a halfling. She doesn't explain why she did it and so we are left in the dark. We are led to believe she is either acting oblivious or she's a puppet of someone behind the scenes. The latter is more plausible, so why should we care about her if her wish to see her mother is a ruse? They should have done it like in Samurai Champloo and have the goal be the vehicle for the group to stick together. Instead there's all this overarching nonsense distracting us and getting in the way of our characters interacting and doing interesting things.

LOL nice strawman to open up your post with :p

Anyway, nothing is stopping the cast from interacting and doing interesting things. They've been doing that literally every episode which is why most of us are enjoying this show. We have gotten insight and character development for every character - more into their pasts, motivations and how their lives are connected not only to the greater world at large but also this larger looming threat. They also have an interesting dynamic and play off each other well. The end goal (finding the sunflower samurai vs. preventing Bahamut's resurrection) are different and the later obviously has more agency and has had a stronger influence on the direction of the narrative but it has in no way precluded any of the things you say you want to see.

I'm not sure what about the structure of the series makes Amira's goals so less interesting than Fuu's goals to you. Regardless of how Amira is being manipulated, from her perspective they are equally genuine.

After she gets knocked out from her attempt to flee, protective magic saves her from pursuit; she falls through the clouds and the chase is stopped. It doesn't really explain why the angels stopped the chase. Later on, angels are seen descending from heaven to relay a message and demons using giant tentacles to interfere. There's no barrier or supreme god who forbids them from meddling with humans. So why the passivity? You'd think armageddon would concern gods and humans alike.

Because is clear the angels are neither omnipotent nor omniscient and Micheal lost track of her when she fell through the clouds? What is hard or nonsensical about that? They are the ones who directed the Knights of New Orleans to search for her in the first place so even if they aren't directly tearing up the landscape, they have been invested in her capture since Day 1. They do have eyes and ears on the ground and that's why they were able to find her in the first place.The demons only found Amira et al. after they had been tailing them all episode and periodically lost track of them as well. Aside from like razing the Earth, a last resort type of maneuver if I ever saw one, what could they reasonably done to be more aggressive? There is still also the matter that they have no idea who put Amira up to this and they are actively trying to find that out as well (hence the "bait plan" of this most recent episode).

In a later point in time, Azazel tries to capture Amira (possibly for his own nefarious reasons), succeeds, casts her in a dungeon with little security. At this point, Amira is turned into a damsel in distress. For some reason, she's become helpless; not the ass-kicking demon we saw earlier. Her protective guardian saves her yet again from being recaptured by Azazel. He trots away and she is left... captured again. At the end of episode six, Azazel tries to chase after her with an army of dragons.

For some reason? She was "sucker punched" by lightning and then while knocked out she was tortured and beaten by high ranking demons. Most people in most narratives wold have been straight up dead already. I'm having a hard time seeing the misogyny. It's never been established she could beat demons of that high a level one on one before and in this circumstance she again was "sucker punched" and it was three on one. They've actually been remarkably consistent in how they've portrayed how powerful she is respective to other characters in the show. I was legit afraid she'd have the be "nerfed" like many powerful female characters are over the course of many narratives but she's never had issues with lower level demons, zombies or the ilk from beginning to end. She has never been threatened by any normal human when she's healthy and that hasn't changed through the course of the show. She's always been a brute force kind of fighter and that has never changed.

As for the rest of your paragraph, you are basically regurgitating the plot back to me. The group narrowly evades the clutches of one faction that wants them only to fall into the clutches of another faction that want them. Ok?

Are you getting my drift? This is getting overbearing to the point of indifference. It's so predictable. The outcome is clear. Bahamut shall awaken, there will be drama and someone will be the chosen one and put an end to it. Can we go back to hunting bounties and wild horse chases, please?

Yeah it's not breaking some new narrative ground here but that's descriptive of the vast majority of fiction, including stuff I know you like, and has little inherent bearing on its actual quality. All I see is " I don't like it therefore its dumb" as opposed to "its dumb therefore I don't like it." You're absolutely entitled to the former opinion but that doesn't make the writing or the narrative or any other aspect of the show objectively flawed. You've failed to demonstrate the later and as such when you complain about things that make no sense when they actually make complete sense you're going to get called out on it.

Clov

The elite use Hummingbird because it's not MAL and being different is being better.

Eh, I switched to Hummingbird since MAL eventually started lagging when it came to updating my total amount of time spent watching. It wasn't by minutes or hours either; I'm talking weeks.

Hi there! If you need some anime to watch from this season there's plenty to choose from, Shirobako being my favourite of the season at the moment. In the last year we've had Gundam Build Fighters and Log Horizon which are both currently in their second seasons.

Also don't worry about writing detailed reviews, I'm not the best when it comes to critiquing things but I try!

Hi there! If you need some anime to watch from this season there's plenty to choose from, Shirobako being my favourite of the season at the moment. In the last year we've had Gundam Build Fighters and Log Horizon which are both currently in their second seasons.

Also don't worry about writing detailed reviews, I'm not the best when it comes to critiquing things but I try!

Log Horizon looks kind of interesting, my only concern is, if I did not like SAO will I dislike LH?

Argevollen 15-16

Typical mech causes pilot to start going bat shit, is benched, thinks about things, realizes he still has to fight, and gets back in the mech. Or I assume that's where this is going we're still in the middle of that process though.

Log Horizon looks kind of interesting, my only concern is, if I did not like SAO will I dislike LH?

Not at all! Log Horizon approaches things differently to Sword Art Online. It goes into the mechanics of the game in far greater detail and shows how when trapped in a game you have to adapt to your surroundings and Log Horizon shows this well. It's not like in Sword Art Online where Kirito already knew what to do already and did everything perfectly well.

Managed to convince a friend to watch Haikyuu!! after having to listen to his 30 minute rant of AC:Unity.

He seems pretty chipper now that he's watching men's volleyball and not complaining about Ubisoft for like the 10th time.

Not at all! Log Horizon approaches things differently to Sword Art Online. It goes into the mechanics of the game in far greater detail and shows how when trapped in a game you have to adapt to your surroundings and Log Horizon shows this well. It's not like in Sword Art Online where Kirito already knew what to do already and did everything perfectly well.

Ooo, that does sound a bit more interesting, I'll be putting that on my plan to watch list. Thank you.

Back to studying :( I will post impressions of the shows I check out later tonight. Thank you for all the recommendations everybody!

Log Horizon is the anime that SAO only dreams it could be, the only thing SAO beats LH in is budget but when you use your budget on garbage it doesn't matter.

Argevollen 17

Oh a new OP finally, and this one looks finished unlike the last one

So after a whole episode of the MC realizing he needs to get in the fucking mech and convincing his superior he won't go crazy and that he HAS to get in the mech because "they need it's power if they're going to have a chance to survive"... he goes crazy instantly and fights the super powered mech on the other side of the field.

I want to point out, the super powered mech on the other side of the field wasn't doing anything up till this point, it was just standing there and waiting for Argevollen to show up so he could fight it. Having the MC get back in Argevollen wasn't what turned the tide of battle at all, we can assume perhaps Ghost would have gotten bored and begun attacking as well, but in the end the others win the battle without Argevollen.

At least the battle between Argevollen and Ghost was great, liked the shot with them fighting in the morning sun.

Firemind

Yeah it's not breaking some new narrative ground here but that's descriptive of the vast majority of fiction, including stuff I know you like, and has little inherent bearing on its actual quality. All I see is " I don't like it therefore its dumb" as opposed to "its dumb therefore I don't like it." You're absolutely entitled to the former opinion but that doesn't make the writing or the narrative or any other aspect of the show objectively flawed. You've failed to demonstrate the later and as such when you complain about things that make no sense when they actually make complete sense you're going to get called out on it.
I believe I've given reasons why the narrative is flawed, starting with the horse acting as a deus ex machina. I can't help it if you believe it isn't one just because of the horse's previous fling with Amira and because it's played for laughs.

The show has a fair number of conveniences for the sake of plot, which I can accept given the one cour run, but some of them are tasking me a good amount of suspending my disbelief. Like I am supposed to believe the angels really are amiable by letting the group live. Sorry, but keeping Amira's emotions in check is not a legitimate reason. What is stopping them from simply exiling the group? They did try to assist Amira in triggering doomsday. Seems it'd be beneficial to off them at some point. Instead it gets ignored, they're greeted like celebrities and get to hug the king. Even Favaro is surprised!

I'm not the only one who's criticizing the show for its weak narrative and one-dimensional characters. Juggling the screen time between the main and secondary characters really did the show no favours.

I'm not sure what about the structure of the series makes Amira's goals so less interesting than Fuu's goals to you. Regardless of how Amira is being manipulated, from her perspective they are equally genuine.
For one thing, Samurai Champloo follows an episodic structure; the conclusion of the initial plot culminating at the very end. It's about the journey, whereas with Bahamut it's about the destination. Secondly, Amira is more of an accessory, a weapon, a macguffin, than an actually interesting character. Interesting is subjective, but there really isn't a lot so far that substantiates Amira as a genuine sentient being, other than she misses her mother and likes to eat meat. Oh and she likes to slap Favaro a lot! Haha, slapstick!

Argevollen 18

Herp derp the science lab that developed the super robots for each opposing army was actually the master mind behind everything, what a crazy twist that everyone saw coming for about 8 episodes now and one they made no attempt to hide.

I will say intelligence guy straight up murdering the commander in cold blood at the start did surprise me wasn't expecting Argevollen to show actual death like that.

Gundam Build Fighters Try 5

Is it just me or did they make the female lead and the female rival boobs massive in that one scene outside of the tournament building? Like it was borderline distracting and I normally not bothered by things like that but in GBFT it's really out of place.

Other then that pretty exciting episode, though I do like how they make no attempt to hype up the female character with her SD Gundam. All the support and rival characters were commenting on how awesome Yuu's custom built Gunpla was an how skilled of a pilot the MC is with his hax Gunpla.

It's funny this is probably one of the weaker episodes as a whole across both GBF seasons, and yet it was still really entertaining and got me hyped at the end when Burning Build Fighter powered up, got the theme playing, and wrecked the foe.

Necrovex

People were trying to do you a favor.

Vyse deserved what he got in that adaption. :p

I am getting close to catching up to One Piece, after like ten years of watching the bloody show. What should I do with my life when I catch up to the current episode? Life won't be the same without the knowledge I have a backlog of One Piece to power through.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom