• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shengar

Valkyria Chronicles would have made a great anime.

All they had to do was make a serious war epic.
Some possibility of paralel world's Valkyria Chronicles have been brewing in mind lately.
I've never seen the anime (or played the game). How did they botch it to make it so bad?

Flanderizing the character, like Welkin become dense and Alicia become a tsundere while both of them in the game doesn't act like that. Not very much I think.

Pani Poni Dash 7

Some interesting swimsuit shots, ones at which, I remember to look at faces and then it feels like I'm seeing two different images. Which is good maybe.

Guess we see the imouto of Ichijou, who also likes to fuck with people. I feel slightly bad for the bunny though. The one time he won, everyone had their memories erased. Protect that status quo yo

Syrinx

Code Geass 3

Just in case it wasn't clear that this was an anime, Lelouch has a blind wheelchair-bound little sister, and there's a shower scene.

Valkyria Chronicles 04

2ul7BII.png

Okay this is a major rewrite from what is in the game. (I'm playing the game and watching the anime simultaneously to compare them) The Galian general was always unlikable but they've made him hilariously detestable in this.

Anime!

Chaika AB 3 -

A pretty fun first half (a nice combination of Chaika continuing to be adorable and sister antics) transitions into a more serious and plot relevant second half. Definitely some interesting things teased during the
Black Chaika
moment too. Was that the
knight guy who got hit with the beam back in S1 too? Looked like it for sure.

Chaika AB 4 -

Shiiiii - all the truthbombs.

Chaika AB 5 -

Say what you want about the Chaika rankings in and of themselves, I think it's pretty clear that White Chaika's team, if nothing else, completely annihilates the competition. Red Chaika has random soldiers, Fake Chaika has random soldiers, White Chaika? 2 assassins who periodically turn on level 3 x-factor, a goddamn dragon, and now
a hilariously powerful human weapon of mass destruction.
Totally stacked deck.

TUSR

Banned
Chaika AB 3 -

A pretty fun first half (a nice combination of Chaika continuing to be adorable and sister antics) transitions into a more serious and plot relevant second half. Definitely some interesting things teased during the
Black Chaika
moment too. Was that the
knight guy who got hit with the beam back in S1 too? Looked like it for sure.

Chaika AB 4 -

Shiiiii - all the truthbombs.

Chaika AB 5 -

Say what you want about the Chaika rankings in and of themselves, I think it's pretty clear that White Chaika's team, if nothing else, completely annihilates the competition. Red Chaika has random soldiers, Fake Chaika has random soldiers, White Chaika? 2 assassins who periodically turn on level 3 x-factor, a goddamn dragon, and now
a hilariously powerful human weapon of mass destruction.
Totally stacked deck.

Red Chaika is liked for other reasons...

Vivi and White Chaika are prob my favourite.

Red Chaika is liked for other reasons...

Vivi and White Chaika are prob my favourite.

No, I get that Red Chaika is liked for other reasons. It's just something that's been bugging me and I'm wondering whether they're going to attempt to even the battlefield at all during the course of the season. If you ask me I think
the last couple lines in the latest episode probably implied that White Chaika and My Little WMD are probably gonna have a falling out. I'd say something along the lines of new girl joining up with Red Chaika down the line but I don't see the show runners throwing a potentially important character onto a Chaika whose perspective we really haven't seen much of lately.
Oh well.

S1 I was definitely with Red Chaika, but S2's upped the cute factor to impossible levels, I'm definitely leaning on White Chaika these days.

TUSR

Banned
No, I get that Red Chaika is liked for other reasons. It's just something that's been bugging me and I'm wondering whether they're going to attempt to even the battlefield at all during the course of the season. If you ask me I think
the last couple lines in the latest episode probably implied that White Chaika and My Little WMD are probably gonna have a falling out. I'd say something along the lines of new girl joining up with Red Chaika down the line but I don't see the show runners throwing a potentially important character onto a Chaika whose perspective we really haven't seen much of lately.
Oh well.

S1 I was definitely with Red Chaika, but S2's upped the cute factor to impossible levels, I'm definitely leaning on White Chaika these days.

Im still miffed that in AB Episode 1 (I think) Fredrica mentioned about making a pact with Toru to become a dragoon, and he still hasn't.

Pretty cute, if not fairly mediocre. Was the start of Takamura DA GOD's anime character design career so that's a plus.

I see. I thought it was a pretty decent show. Especially how they mixed the upbeat happenings with the darker stuff towards the end and that
remaining operation time counter
at the end of every episode as a solemn reminder of what's eventually going to happen. That specifically is something I don't think I've seen any other anime do.

I've become curious about what AnimeGAF thinks regarding some of these olders shows that I saw years ago so I might ask about a few more in the coming days.

Valkyria Chronicles 05

Alicia's got her very own harem going. They're really pushing this love triangle and it is freaking weird. A lot of foreshadowing about Alicia's abilities as well.

This anime had the potential to flesh out the minor troops in the squad and so far all it has managed is to rewrite the main characters we already love into bad anime archetypes. It looks like more barracks hijinx in the next episode so perhaps something comes out of this.

Valkyria Chronicles 05

Alicia's got her very own harem going. They're really pushing this love triangle and it is freaking weird. A lot of foreshadowing about Alicia's abilities as well.

This anime had the potential to flesh out the minor troops in the squad and so far all it has managed is to rewrite the main characters we already love into bad anime archetypes. It looks like more barracks hijinx in the next episode so perhaps something comes out of this.

There's one thing that I think the anime handles better than the game but I'll wait till you're finished since it's heavy spoiler territory.

Lain

Psycho-Pass 2 ep. 5

The episodes keep being gruesome, the newbie inspector keeps being kind of an idiot and more layers of trouble are added on top of it all for Akane. If something bad happens to Akane I'll be pissed.

Parasyte 1&2
So far, based on these 2 episodes, I think the show is enjoyable. I really do not have much to complain about. I love the main character so far. The story is certainly intriguing for me. good choice of music for this type of show, dub step really fits it. Cannot wait to watch the other episodes to see what else there is.

I died during the bathroom scene
when migi was trying to get izumi aroused

Guys, we have a rebel here...

Take the steel pipes.

Thoraxes

I'm gonna make some enemies in this thread, but I though Hyouka was just "okay." I enjoyed Chuuni more.
I like you.
Valkyria Chronicles 01

To celebrate the release of Valkyria Chronicles on PC (go buy this!) I thought I'd watch the anime adaptation.

This feels a lot more anime than the game does. They took some liberties with the opening but I'm fine with that. I don't really like what they did with Alicia's personality. She feels a lot more tsun tsun than she ever did in the game. It appears they tried to replicate the canvas art style of the game with the shading but it doesn't look anywhere near as good. The music is still fantastic.
Picked the fuck up.
Animegafers don't die young, they grow old and bitter.

Monocle-ization works the same way as desertification around here. Just watching the happiness erode into disgust and dislike for everything is kind of beautiful in a way.

Sub, so you can hear Jun Fukuyama try and out-ham Norio Wakamoto. It's pretty amazing to hear.
Pretty much , those 2 alone make the japanese dub, so much awesome.
norio wakamoto speech is just ..

so log horizon 2, how is it
Not bad , more of the same , some issues but it's still log horizon.
Despite some changes it's still following the source material properly.

What does everyone think of Mahoromatic? I remember being recommended this show years ago and enjoying it.
I'm still not sure what to think regarding that ending though.
It's a fun and ok show ... untill the show goes GAINAX, it's enjoyable and cute at times.

Psycho-Pass 2 ep. 5

The episodes keep being gruesome, the newbie inspector keeps being kind of an idiot and more layers of trouble are added on top of it all for Akane. If something bad happens to Akane I'll be pissed.
I'll be legit surprised if akane manages to survive this season without any injury .

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Gundam Build Fighters Try Episode 6:

I guess we are just going to have to accept the fact that Fumina is going to be wearing that outfit for the foreseeable future, I am dismayed at that. Anyway, this episode has produced what I would consider to be the first truly decent battle of GBF Try. Probably not coincidentally this is the first battle to finally feature actual team tactics
I was not expecting this to be one big homage to the 08 MS Team, I think I like this. Also, we get the first instance of Fumina acting as a leader even it means some chicanery on her part because she has been saddled with utter shitheads a teammates and then need a deft touch in order to cooperate properly.
Let me see, Gyanko I think has officially hit one note comic relief and her act is horrifically stale at this point. Speaking of stale, the world's lamest rivalry between Kousaka and Sakai continues even though nobody in the universe actually cares about the statue building contest. I think that is an overall problem with Try thus far, we have worse set of supporting characters, but it is still early and it took some characters in the first season a good long while to not be utterly hateable.

jgminto

Gundam Build Fighters Try 6

You know what should be cooler than a big burning fist special move? An even BIGGER burning fist special move but a decrease in visual quality hampered the impact. The previous uses of Sekai's martial arts were always the best looking parts of the episode but there was a distinct lack of flare with this new combination attack, if you compared it to his tornado attack or space martial arts it would look worse by comparison. A power upgrade needs that oomph to ensure it's believable for the audience. If we compared it to G Gundam's upgrade from Shining to God Gundam, the Shining Finger would usually result in shutting down the suit and perhaps a destroyed head unit if they were a serious foe but the Bakunetsu God Finger would usually detonate the entire suit when used. It was an instantly recognisable increase in power. But with the regular Burning Gundam to the Winning Knuckle, both end with the enemy exploding and both are able to create massive forces of wind and energy with a single move. There's no meaningful differentiation. Hopefully this will only be temporary and once we start getting into serious fights there will be a better power communication of the Winning Knuckle.

As for the rest of the episode, the main cast is still fun. I enjoy Fumina's roll as captain and planner but I would like to see some actual team strategies in the future instead of her using two wild elements disguised as team mates. Gyanko's Sekai obsession is still terrible. Yuuma's infatuation with Sekai's sister is still terrible and Minato's newly developed crush for Fumina will be terrible too. Sigh...I miss the relationships from the first season. They weren't perfect but they had solid foundations of interactions and emotions.

duckroll

There's a Psycho-Pass movie coming?! I miss all the sweet info.

Yeah it's opening in Japan in Jan, right after PP2 wraps up in Dec. It's set after PP2, and involves Akane going on an investigation outside of Japan, as the Sibyl System is finally being exported out into Asia or something. Kogami is supposed to be returning in this one too. Grand finale maybe.

Midonin

Gundam Build Fighters Try 06

Rock on, Fumina. That was a pretty neat display, and having such a cute thing give a power up that reminded me of Complete GokaiOh is pretty neat. Kaoruko needs a few more scenes outside of her fangirl thing, but knowing she's still in the running for the tournament is something I can appreciate.

Psycho-Pass = 2112-2113

Psycho-Pass 2 = 2114

Psycho-Pass Movie = 2116
OK thanks , i guess i was confused when i got the information then .

The Valkyria Chronicles anime was brain melting garbage of the worst kind.

It was inferior to the game but it wasn't that bad.
It's only people who have played the game that dislike it that much. But alone it's a normal anime with everything that goes with the name

dan2026

It was inferior to the game but it wasn't that bad.
It's only people who have played the game that dislike it that much. But alone it's a normal anime with everything that goes with the name

I loved the game, but I dropped the anime like a hot coal part way through.
I wouldn't say it was worth anyone's time.

whats that

Have you finished the game? It's necessary in order to understand the comparison. Here's my post on it from another read.

There's one moment in the anime that was handled much better there than in the game.

It's a HEAVY STORY SPOILER so I'll put it in spoiler tags.

Welkin grieving after they retake Bruhl. He was a lot more human in that scene compared to the game where he doesn't even cry and displays little grief in comparison. Here's the scene for reference.

Highly recommended that you don't watch this until you've finished the game at least.

-Horizon-

If AnimeGAF were a product, that would be on the back of the box.
Nobody would buy it.

so log horizon 2, how is it
There is now an annoying pink haired character. Otherwise, still the same feel as the first season. Though the latest episode did imply there would be some very big impacts on the characters because of something happening to their world, more so than anything done in season 1.

Midonin

Encouragement of Climb S2 18

Oh thank goodness. Aoi getting a job at a cake shop dredged up memories of Watamote. Aoi's nervousness and pastry shop are a much, much more positive experience overall. Is the Order a Mountain?, more or less. A Blue Mountain. She and Hinata have such a great chemistry with each other. I can already see the season finale set atop Mt. Tanigawa coming, and it's going to be a thing of beauty. The characters have grown, and having more time to do so has made for something less likely to leave peoples' minds compared to the first season.

Nikodemos

There is now an annoying pink haired character. Otherwise, still the same feel as the first season. Though the latest episode did imply there would be some very big impacts on the characters because of something happening to their world, more so than anything done in season 1.
Most of the stuff presented in Roderic's conference foreshadows stuff that has happened already either in this episode or in preceding ones (NPCs losing their N status, skills becoming 'real', flavour text becoming active etc.)

Yeah it's opening in Japan in Jan, right after PP2 wraps up in Dec. It's set after PP2, and involves Akane going on an investigation outside of Japan, as the Sibyl System is finally being exported out into Asia or something. Kogami is supposed to be returning in this one too. Grand finale maybe.

so what you're telling me is that I should just read a synopsis about PP2 because I only care about Ko?

-Horizon-

Most of the stuff presented in Roderic's conference foreshadows stuff that has happened already either in this episode or in preceding ones (NPCs losing their N status, skills becoming 'real', flavour text becoming active etc.)

Shows me how much I remember season 1 lol, forgot about whats his name who became an adventurer. Does the skill thing mean stuff like the cooking? That's the only one that comes to mind that happened in the first season. Or is it that
new reviving magic thing Shiroe came up with?

Saudades

Gundam Build Fighters Try 6

Cringe factor outweighing the very little awesome factor, as usual. I think Fumina was in sport gear the whole episode - what's the point of that, aside from more pixiv fanarts? Doesn't she have any other clothes? Heck even her outfit from the ED looks better, and less revealing too. And I swear Gyanko's team is in the tourney only so she can fawn over Sekai before they got jobbed by some uber villain of the week in a future episode.

Sekai & Yuuma rivalry should've been resolved like 2-3 episodes ago. Their constant bickering and lack of coordination in battle is too tiring to watch. By this time in GBF Reiji and Yuuki were already having their awesome rematch. This also pushes Fumina down to the role of having to be the glue that holds them together instead of, I don't know, doing actual shit.

The battle in this episode had potential to be great, what with the enemy team incorporating some real tactics in their fight, like how the twin fought against Meijin back in GBF. And it did started out pretty well (not sure how I feel about radar jamming, I guess they try to be guerilla-like and it is cool, but aren't the players in a team standing right next to each other IRL?), but then it's random martial arts bs saves the day again. Is it too much to ask for some decent beam saber action? Btw Winning Gundam alternate mode looks like something out of Super Sentai (both the knuckle and the copter).

I still like to see the custom suits in action (last week's Stargazer and Strike Noir were awesome, and so are the 08th MS Team Customs this week), but the characters is making it a chore to watch (feels like I'm watching Bayformers here). Wish some more old characters from GBF that I love so much return.

This got a chuckle out of me though:

MtDWyjC.png

I guess Mature and KuwabaraTheMan will understand?

Nikodemos

Shows me how much I remember season 1 lol, forgot about whats his name who became an adventurer. Does the skill thing mean stuff like the cooking? That's the only one that comes to mind that happened in the first season. Or is it that
new reviving magic thing Shiroe came up with?
Rundelhaus Kord (though spellings differ; ironically, they would have in the real Middle Ages too).

That, as well as
cooking no longer being tied to a skill (lower-level cooking, at least) and the shocking discovery of goblins actively training.

Shiroe's
trick
was foreshadowed by Ri Gan, the Sage of Mirror Lake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom