• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branduil

Shirobako 6

ibwqxg2WvnHbC5.jpg
ibeOT3VhrOIHvm.jpg

iUnrzEkfiBnSw.jpg
i8KJURcp9XkBB.jpg

It's pretty impressive how Tarou manages to become more annoying every week. And yeah, this episode was full of references, some of them strange and unexpected. Really well-balanced episode that managed to develop multiple characters. I look forward to seeing what production issues they run into next.

Jex

GAF has an irrational dislike for Psycho Pass. It's actually really good, and season 2 is fine so far. Also the ending song is cool:
A few points:

- GAF isn't a person, neither is AnimeGAF.
- Describing an opinion you dislike as "irrational" isn't really fair. Most of the people who've criticised PyschoPass have actually given perfectly understandable reasons why they dislike the show.
- This is what PsychoPass does to people.

Inou Battle - 06

I had in the back of my mind that Sayumi would be some stuck up person, but she actually seemed kind and polite when she was alone with Andou.
Hope we'll see more of Maiya, she was the real star of the episode.

Midonin

Seraphim Call 04

This show has a really dreamlike feel to it. The way it cuts between Hatsumi's worries, the sketching, the swimming, all of it, makes it feel not so much like one coherent story (though it is coherent) as it does... well, a dream. Hatsumi's worries about not being "feminine" enough are something I've seen plenty of times in anime, though I'm not sure what the punchline was trying to get at. Since the angel within her was
an abstract painting.
Perhaps femininity and beauty is something for each person to define on their own.

Seraphim Call 05-06

Two episodes that absolutely must be watched together and, on the heels of last night's South Park, much more amusing to see. Like with the last episode, there was a twist at the end that made for an easy resolution to the story.
The love letter was addressed to their mother.
But the resolution isn't the goal here for any of these stories. It's about the inner thoughts and worries of the people. Shion's worry about her bonds with Sakura, and Sakura's worry about being dependent on Shion. Though one machine is virtual reality and the other is a dream machine, in terms of storytelling function, they're basically identical. What is virtual reality but a dream we can program? And if you're programming dreams, is virtual reality needed? It all led up to a twin sister kiss, which is not where I expected the story to go, but I'm okay with it.

It's just the logic of a dream, and nothing more.

Worshiping Bay is far far worse then being a fan of Paycho-Pass

Both Bay and Psycho Pass are terrible, but Bay is at least doesn't pretend to be anything he's not.

I'd definitely recommend giving Psycho-Pass (season 1) a go. I was never really bothered by the premise of this entire Sybil system since a) it's the darn premise and b) it really isn't that far reached as far as I'm concerned. Compared to other dystopian fictions, I really don't have to stretch my suspension of disbelief much. For example,.something like 'Equilibrium' where everyone's taking a bunch of anti-emotion pills every day seems far more ridiculous. Yet, it didn't really bother me much in that movie.

Why is it so unlikely that society comes up with s.th. like the Sybil system in the span of a hundred years if it really does work for the most part and thus provides a nice sense of security? You wouldn't believe the US citizens could possibly be happy with their awful healthcare system, yet there it is.

The problem is that the show doesn't do anything to actually justify it in any way. The cornerstones of quality dystopian fiction are thinking through what the implications of the various elements of the society would be (generally with some strong world building) as well as using the 'horrible dystopian future' to comment on present day society (for example, a work which has a future in which people are basically treated as a disposable work force by a corporate run government is commenting on how that's an increasing problem in modern day society. This is a pretty simple example, but I think it proves the point well enough). Psycho Pass doesn't do any of that (unless the show suddenly got way better after I stopped watching it.

There's no consideration put into how the Sybil system came to be, what the real implications of it would be on a society as well as the attitudes of the people who lived there (the people in Psycho Pass basically just feel like modern day humans who happen to live in a horrible dystopian world with some crazy system rather than people who were born and raised in that society), or how it would really change people's lives. The show feels less like anyone working on it had anything dramatic to say about society, the government, capitalism, or even the treatment of criminals by modern day society (something that should have been almost impossible not to comment on given the premise), and instead just feels like a bunch of the staff thought that various futuristic dystopian works looked 'cool' and wanted to make something like them without any understanding of how they worked.

For a much better anime example of how to do a story in a dystopian future, see From the New World. There's clearly been a huge amount of thought put into how the society came to be, what the motivations of the people in charge would be, what the pros and cons are for everyone living in it, and what the attitudes of characters who grew up in such a society would be. The characters don't feel at all like modern day humans. The show also manages to have a lot to say on various subjects such as slavery, institutionalized racism, the role of public education, the treatment of children who are deemed to be of lower intelligence, and much more. And it's never coming across as preachy when it does any of those things.

Both Bay and Psycho Pass are terrible, but Bay is at least doesn't pretend to be anything he's not.

The problem is that the show doesn't do anything to actually justify it in any way. The cornerstones of quality dystopian fiction are thinking through what the implications of the various elements of the society would be (generally with some strong world building) as well as using the 'horrible dystopian future' to comment on present day society (for example, a work which has a future in which people are basically treated as a disposable work force by a corporate run government is commenting on how that's an increasing problem in modern day society. This is a pretty simple example, but I think it proves the point well enough). Psycho Pass doesn't do any of that (unless the show suddenly got way better after I stopped watching it.

There's no consideration put into how the Sybil system came to be, what the real implications of it would be on a society as well as the attitudes of the people who lived there (the people in Psycho Pass basically just feel like modern day humans who happen to live in a horrible dystopian world with some crazy system rather than people who were born and raised in that society), or how it would really change people's lives. The show feels less like anyone working on it had anything dramatic to say about society, the government, capitalism, or even the treatment of criminals by modern day society (something that should have been almost impossible not to comment on given the premise), and instead just feels like a bunch of the staff thought that various futuristic dystopian works looked 'cool' and wanted to make something like them without any understanding of how they worked.

For a much better anime example of how to do a story in a dystopian future, see From the New World. There's clearly been a huge amount of thought put into how the society came to be, what the motivations of the people in charge would be, what the pros and cons are for everyone living in it, and what the attitudes of characters who grew up in such a society would be. The characters don't feel at all like modern day humans. The show also manages to have a lot to say on various subjects such as slavery, institutionalized racism, the role of public education, the treatment of children who are deemed to be of lower intelligence, and much more. And it's never coming across as preachy when it does any of those things.

The part in bold is only somewhat true as there's a bunch of scenes where its shown how this system has affected the people.
2 examples: There's some kind of 'disease' or mental illness where people degenerate into a kind of vegetative state and that stems from how the Sybil system affects people's live. Can't quite recall the details about that.

Another example is that people have grown so accustomed to the lack of violence that when someone gets brutally attacked in a public, packed space, everyone is wondering what's going on, as if that's just some kind of play/act going on as this shouldn't be possible.

Overall though you make good points and its true that the people do mostly feel like the ones from our times. And it certainly is lazy not properly addressing the uprising of that Sybil system in the first place. Still, since that ultimately didn't end up being all that important for the plot I didn't mind it too much I suppose, even if its laziness.

edit:
Oh and yeh, Shinsekai Yori has amazing world building.

Shirobako 6:
Man, seeing characters bonding over their love of Ideon is great. The scenes with Endou and Shimoyanagi talking about their love for the series/movie are great, especially as they get fired up. The music is also really great there, and it really invoked the feeling of Ideon for me. Traditional animation is still the best, as expected.

Tarou continues to be terrible, and Aoi continues to be great at fixing up his messes. The director is also awesome. He has some really funny moments in this episode, but he also gets fired up and manages to finally get started on what he should have been doing to begin with.

cajunator

Banned
Lucky Penny aka Right Stuf got the rights to Looking Up at the Half-Moon and will be coming out Spring 2015
http://www.rightstuf.com/site/main/news/individual/FT0000007483.html

Interesting. I havent heard of this.

Calling jman:
P1RykM5l.jpg

Llmx589l.jpg

I don't know why I decided to take a random look at this anime... but man, it looks like they just took video game cutscenes and tried to turn them into a show.

Pretty much. But it looksl ike GDGD Fairies a lot so its expected.

Inou Battle 05

literally everything

But... Kinos journey...Twelve Kingdoms...SPICE AND WOLF

Sailor Moon R 1

Yeah yeah I'm way far behind on this season via Viz 2 a week uploads

This was a pretty decent way to start season 2, but not great. New villains I remembered enjoying a lot as a kid but as an adult they just seem kind of boring. I feel like they were probably enhanced by dic's hack job as most of the "I love you more then the stars" "then stop flirting brother" was massively toned down.

While this is true, I feel like if/when Toru makes a pact with her it will be when all else has failed and/or an act of desperation like say Chaika is kidnapped by someone incredibly powerful and Toru just gets wrecked fighting him, heals up and makes a pact with Fredrica for more power. Might be cliche but he's been so adamant about not making a pact you'd need something cliche like that for him to go over the edge. I don't think a martial arts tournament even if it's to the death gets us there,

Sailor Moon R 2

Wow this is bad

The villains are a complete joke and their reasons for making these elaborate plans to steal energy are silly. They clearly don't need that much energy to live off of why not just randomly target people instead of trying to absorb mass amounts of energy for your tree?

Also while I know the answer is "because then we wouldn't have a series" why don't Ail and An just go somewhere else on the planet. They establish in the first episode of this season that Earth is full of energy, so why stay in the once place where there are magic girls who keep getting in your way? You can teleport and fly there really is no reason to stay. Season 1 at least there was the excuse of "we can sense the Silver Crystal is somewhere in this area" to explain why the bad guys never bothered to attack anywhere else.

Its certainly not a great arc. Very dull after that incredible finale of S1. I have to get through it somehow to get to S and its very difficult. I dont even want to think about having to watch it.

Princess Tutu 1:
Great music, great character designs (and so expressive), and a wonderful sense of style. What's not to love? A very good first episode that sets up the characters well, provides a few standard scenarios to start with, and then goes pretty crazy towards the end. The splitting of the imagery and everything with the gears turning was very well done. Pretty much every comedic scene was 100% on point, too.

Squeeeee
This show is so adorable and youre going to love it!
It can also get pretty dark and mature at times though. Ahiru will capture your heart easily

Squeeeee
This show is so adorable and youre going to love it!
It can also get pretty dark and mature at times though. Ahiru will capture your heart easily

Yeah, that's definitely the feeling I got from the first episode. A mixture of some adorable moments and some hinting of darker things to come. I already love Ahiru. She seems pretty great. And every scene with her friends was awesome because of their amazing facial expressions while they teased her.

Midonin

Twintail 06

CAST OFF. CHANGE TWINTAILS.

So Robogog and Deboss both fell, to warriors of the opposite attribute. A fitting death. Oddly, rather than Sentai, I feel like I can draw more comparisons to Kamen Rider this week. Not only is Erina using something similar to Kabuto's Cast Off, the way her armor can reconfigure itself into a weapon reminds me of Kamen Rider Birth's system - in his case, it could reassemble into a rad scorpion. There's also quite a bit of Symphogear in this week's episode, too. Erina's armor is as trigger-happy as Chris', and Yoko Hikasa voicing a black-clad doppelganger of the main heroes calls to mind Maria in Symphogear G. I feel like this show is smarter than it looks - it's taking itself seriously, but not in a completely stoic kind of way. It's in the same way as Prisma Illya. Still the best show on Thursday, though Yuyuyu is a close, close second.

Jex

I appreciate that you wrote up your thoughts on this, but I honestly feel it's sufficient to say the show is badly written, badly directed and badly produced. In a world where you are inundated with potential great media to consume there's no point wasting your precious time on this Earth on crap. Even if we narrow your potential entertainment possibilities down to just 'Anime' there are thousands of better alternatives.

Pyscho Pass - not even once.

I appreciate that you wrote up your thoughts on this, but I honestly feel it's sufficient to say the show is badly written, badly directed and badly produced. In a world where you are inundated with potential great media to consume there's no point wasting your precious time on this Earth on crap. Even if we narrow your potential entertainment possibilities down to just 'Anime' there are thousands of better alternatives.

Pyscho Pass - not even once.

This is true, although I feel like writing up why something is bad can often times be very instructive, both to improving one's own critical eye, as well as helping to sound out ideas for things to avoid in your own works. So some of writing out a post like that I think is for my own benefit as much as anyone else's.

There's definitely no point in wasting any time in watching Psycho Pass. I regret even watching as many episodes as I did, and that was still in the single digits.

duckroll

Psycho-Pass 2 - Episode 6

I think this is the first episode so far where the action actually felt it was staged in a relatively exciting way. The content continues to be the try-hard grimdark escalating joke of systemic failure that they've been building up in the last few episodes. It's really hard to take any of it seriously, but it can be pretty entertaining in unintentionally hilarious ways, especially all those scenes with characters talking about Akane's "hue". Lol. I wish the production wasn't so rushed though, this episode would have been way better if there was some solid animation here and there accompanying the unusually nice direction, instead of the typical Psycho-Pass "quality". :p

phaze

Naruto Shippuden 386
beatingadeadhorsex2r6j.gif

I wonder how much of this utter tripe was filler. I refuse to believe even Kishi would spend 4 to 6 chapters on poor and completely redundant flashbacks. Half of which we've already seen.

Ergo Proxy 12

Man, that
kiss scene
was hilariously awkward. Way to go Vincent. The dialogue and even voice acting in this show is hit and miss. Its fine in one moment only to descend into the terripoor territory in the next.

Ergo Proxy 13

Better than the whole of Blade Runner.

Man there's something immensely sad about Iggy's fate. Freed from his duty of being an Entourage and given free will, he still couldn't help but cling to Re-L. RIP

CDiggity

Twintail 6

Yellow sure is...something. The guildys are still hilarious and we now have introduced an evil counterpart to our team. Still trying to figure out who is best Tail though.

This also seemed to be a textbook example of a midseason animation blunder as several of the characters faces looked off. Mostly this was with characters who weren't the focus, but it was slightly distracting.

Midonin

April 06

Tsubaki focus episode! I liked Tsubaki almost entirely because of Ayaneru, and even if she doesn't "win", love isn't quite a game. It's more complicated than that, and just as it was last week, I enjoyed the parallel scenes at the start of the episode and the end of it. Kaori's got a ton of energy. Her passion when reviving the fallen piano was infectious. And also importantly, a new challenger or two approaches. I wonder what aspects of Kousei and Kaori these two are going to bring out.

Psycho-Pass 2 - Episode 6

I think this is the first episode so far where the action actually felt it was staged in a relatively exciting way. The content continues to be the try-hard grimdark escalating joke of systemic failure that they've been building up in the last few episodes. It's really hard to take any of it seriously, but it can be pretty entertaining in unintentionally hilarious ways, especially all those scenes with characters talking about Akane's "hue". Lol. I wish the production wasn't so rushed though, this episode would have been way better if there was some solid animation here and there accompanying the unusually nice direction, instead of the typical Psycho-Pass "quality". :p

Psycho-Pass 2-6

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

SERIOUSLY? The boat's name is What Color? Holy shit.

PWkN2gw.jpg

DiGiKerot

In British Industry news, it seems like most of the senior folks at Manga UK have jumped ship and formed their own company. Exactly what they'll be doing isn't entirely clear at the moment, but it'll be curious to see what happens to Manga going forward, and what Animatsu will even be able to pick up. As I understand it, Manga presently have contracts in place to do UK releases for pretty much anything Funimation picks up global rights for - this covers a bunch of their current major releases like the Eva movies, Attack on Titan and Psycho-Pass, as well as stuff like Fairy Tail. I guess this leaves them either having to chase rights to things before Funi (or Anime Ltd) pick up more than just UK distribution, or picking up scraps from elsewhere, at least until whatever deals are in place with Funi expire.

I suppose this does mean that they can actually talk to Geneon now, though!

Jarmel

Banned
I could write paragraphs on how fucking terrible the new season is. I knew Ubukata was garbage but this is on a whole new level.

Say what you want about the flaws of the first season but it did actually try to examine the world and characters in it. This is just people getting blown up real nice for half an hour. The only thing to comment on is how bad the writing has gotten.

jman2050

Shirobako 6

So in the end, when you come right down to it, Tomino saved Exodus. All praise Tomino-sama.

Tarou is still a complete numbnuts that helps absolutely no one. I like this show but I hope this thing doesn't devolve into a pattern of Aoi fixing Tarou's screwups, cause that would be unfortunate.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Shirobako Episode 6:

30 seconds in and I want to slam Taro's head with a car door over and over again until he is dead. One of the most effective heels I have seen in a good long while.

Psycho Pass 2 06

059ed7b666.jpg

YEAH ALMOST HUH

Wow that ending. Hooray for contrived and stupid reasons to make this go on longer cuz we can't write good!
Some decent action but Miwa really just needs to leave. All she can do is complain about people trying to fix stuff but she has no solutions of her own. Completely useless character.
And rofl at the boats name being What Color. That's so dumb I think I like it.

Shirobako 06

The power of Idepon brings people together!
Thank you based Gomino.
Tarou has got to have some kind of moment later. Like being that dumb character who has that amazing idea that saves everything that one time.

Twin Peaks

458rZQp.jpg

Crocodile

I've never seen Psycho-Pass but thanks for this write-up. Does a good job of explaining the issues of the show aside from just "Psycho-Pass SUX!". Also what you say about From the New World has been spot on and I think a good part of the reason I've been enjoying my current watch of the show.

Firemind

Even though some of Bay's films are entertaining (The Rock comes to mind), I'll never forgive him for literally pissing on my childhood just so the lowest common denominator can identify with the film.

JoJo 1-4

This show as so much style and personality, holy crap. Love the art, music and characters so far. Especially Will Anthonio Zeppeli, badass just flows through his veins.

Log horizon 2
Not much to say so far, plenty more enjoyable than SAO, that's for sure.

Space Dandy 1
Ha, this show is going to be so much fun.

Midonin

YuYuYu 06

The idea that episodes with explosive action scenes are the ones worthy of being judged "great" is something I wish to challenge, because an episode like this says just as much about the world as the one that came before it. It's for the best that Karin didn't activate her power up mode, as it has some pretty bad side effects.
Loss of sight, loss of voice, loss of hearing, loss of taste.
Poor Karin, finally being accepted by the Hero Club at the moment when she feels most unworthy of it. I'm not doubting that magical girl stuff might return, but that's not looking like the primary purpose here.

Also, we're going to the pool/beach next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom