• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarmel

Banned
Amagi Brilliant Park-7
ibreHXXeuPwe7c.jpg
What an absolute fucking dud of an episode. This wasn't funny, entertaining, or even interesting on any level. It could have been a sort of fun and whacky side story but so many things here just fall apart on every single level leaving me with a bad aftertaste in my mouth.

The direction wasn't there on any front. The storyboading was flat and the animation only had a few interesting cuts, the rest just consisted of a ton of still frames. This had the worst production values of the entire series and it's probably one of the worst single episodes KyoAni has done in a long time on the animation side. Just so many still frames. The OST was awful and the pieces just didn't match any of the scenes.
I like the new girls though. The AV actress being the translator was pretty funny and Pink Mayoi stuttering was hilarious. Rest of the cast fell really flat other than Tirami. They just seemed there this episode.
ibp6YVJHmom9YQ.jpg

I did enjoy the references though.
Despite how absurd this episode was, it's just so utterly lifeless.

Clov

Even with the Sailor Moon debacle, I'd say they aren't the worst licensing company, at least not while Sentai is around. At least the Sailor Moon redub sounds good.

Bear in mind I'm talking about nowadays, not historically which in that case yeah they were pretty bad.

Sentai's improved greatly in terms of video quality over the past year or two. I haven't had many problems when it comes to that aspect of their sets. Sentai's real problems are their overwhelming laziness in terms of packaging, menus, extras, and their horrendously ugly subtitles.

Honestly though, can you really call Sentai the worst licensing company with Media Blasters still around?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'm struggling to think of any anime in years I've seen less discussion of in these threads than that Goro Miyazaki show. Is anyone even watching it?
Admittedly, it's not licensed either.

I mean, there was a time when I was the only person watching Yamato 2199 here for that very reason. But that said, I don't know if there's someone who thinks it's the best show ever here and is just trying to get heard....

Sentai's improved greatly in terms of video quality over the past year or two. I haven't had many problems when it comes to that aspect of their sets. Sentai's real problems are their overwhelming laziness in terms of packaging, menus, extras, and their horrendously ugly subtitles.

Honestly though, can you really call Sentai the worst licensing company with Media Blasters still around?

Wait a second, Media Blasters is still around?

Okay, make that second worst, because even with the improved video quality coming from Sentai as you claim, there are still the complaints you mentioned in your post in addition to the fact that their dubs are still crap.

Pani Poni Dash 9

Fuck, new OP and a new ED. A bit soon, but whatever. New maid character and somehow knowing Behoimi as well, I wonder how it'll go down as I continue. It's rather bizarre in that there's.... not much normalities, but we can't have Mahou Shoujos because magic doesn't exist. BIAS! BIAS I SAY

Syrinx

Media Blasters is still around? I could have sworn it didn't since I still don't have Yami To Boushi To Hon No Tabibito.

Rhapsody

Banned
Your Lie in April 7

I know people have a lot of problems with this anime, but I'm enjoying it so far though. The episode was well directed and got the points across well enough.

Clov

Wait a second, Media Blasters is still around?

Okay, make that second worst, because even with the improved video quality coming from Sentai as you claim, there are still the complaints you mentioned in your post in addition to the fact that their dubs are still crap.

Not only are they still around (after losing the licenses to a big portion of their back catalog), they're releasing undisputed classics Kite and Kite Liberator on Blu-Ray!

I don't listen to a lot of dubs, but yeah, Sentai's are pretty terrible. Some of them sound like they've come straight from the 90s.

Media Blasters is still around? I could have sworn it didn't since I still don't have Yami To Boushi To Hon No Tabibito.

They somehow are still hanging on. They're still planning on releasing that, too.

Syrinx

Shirobako 6

Pretty sure that wasn't a direct interpretation of Waiting For Godot there, but I guess getting the straightforward point of it out in a timely manner to a culture that may not be familiar with it (I may be wrong), that was needed. Especially since the sensei did actually make a point of it to the aspiring seiyuu.

Aoi and a timely Inepon expo extinguish the fire going on at the studio. So how long until that stupid idiot fucks it up again? If he does I hope his ass is had. Aoi shouldn't have to keep cleaning up his messes.

They somehow are still hanging on. They're still planning on releasing that, too.

It was originally supposed to release over a fucking year ago!

Pani Poni Dash 10

Not-Yuuko/Boring girl got a hair growth power up. Still considered the Boring girl.

So now we know Behoimi and Media... have knowledge on disarming bombs, and everyone but the boring girl is able to keep up with the explanation. This is why you're considered the boring girl. But at least you aint the bunny.

For me, sometime it fit the scene, sometime, it don't. I don't like the use of dubstep in episode 5, while i'm mostly okay with the previous episode.

I respect and understand your displeasure. Like every other form of entertainment, it's subjective.

We can at least all agree that the show is quickly becoming badass.
I hope

Episode 5/6 spoilers
Can't wait to see how his new found abilities will work out. Is it me, or does it seem like some of the strengths of migi sort of transferred over after fusing with his heart.
I was thinking about this when playing some games, don't know how I didn't notice when initially views the ep.

zulux21

This and Parasyte are the only Anime I'm enjoying right now :p

you lie in april is the only anime I have managed to stay caught up with this season.... freaken work has me there nearly every day a week until late so I don't have time to watch stuff with the wife... and the little free time I do have with her has mostly been dedicated to the binding of isaac rebirth...

it does make me sad that no one seems to be talking about Magic Kaito 1412 though :(

I do need to catch up on parasyte and bahamut though.... the rest of the shows this season will likely fade into wait until dubbed categories for me.

Quasar

For fellow aussies.

Just got a message from Animelab, they just added a dozen more new shows (including SAO S2, Psychopass S2,Vanadis,Mushishi Next Chapter S2) .

They really are moving pretty fast to beef this whole thing up (I guess so they can start charging for it). Surprised they have moved so fast that they are now Simulcasting 11 shows.

Syrinx

Code Geass 11

I assume there's a reason they're hiding C.C.'s true name for now. Lelouch doesn't seem phased so I assume it's something that's not particularly important yet. Oh also she has amnesia. If I had to guess...Britannian Royal Family member.

Please tell me Kallen doesn't have a crush on Zero. That's the last thing we need.

Quasar

It's hard to make it in the political cartooning biz if you're not irrationally upset at something.

I guess.

Can't say I'm upset about Kyoanis output. But then I've generally just considered them creators of gorgeous fluff for the most part. Even if I haven't REALLY liked anything since Hyoka. Well I didn't mind Tamako (probably more the movie than the show).

As for the toon, I'm not sure I get some of it (who is Sakuga?) and Shinkai seems happily off on his own doing stuff he likes to do (of which I loved Garden of Words). Though I would like him to tackle some themes outside his wheelhouse a bit.

Jex

Having listened to parts of it, what I got out of it was:

-Viz doesn't think there's a problem on their end
-Viz claims they have the best materials Toei could provide
-Viz will not be switching disc authoring companies, the rest of Sailor Moon will receive the same treatment

lalalala I'm not listening lalalala

Jex

Jexhius was watching it. I remember this was the first non-Kurosawa Japanese movie I'd ever watched, so needless to say it coloured a lot of what I thought about Japan back then. It certainly helped that I hadn't even thought about anime back when this came out though. lol

All I know is that firehawk scrubbed through the end of the movie, classic firehawk!

jgminto

For fellow aussies.

Just got a message from Animelab, they just added a dozen more new shows (including SAO S2, Psychopass S2,Vanadis,Mushishi Next Chapter S2) .

They really are moving pretty fast to beef this whole thing up (I guess so they can start charging for it). Surprised they have moved so fast that they are now Simulcasting 11 shows.

If they are planning to charge for it they're going to have to do a lot more to stand up against CR as competition.

Syrinx

Code Geass 12

Ooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhh....

Heh, did Lelouch really just accept a kiss from Shirley after she just told him her father had been killed, and that he's the one who did it? Calling him gentle and such because he never hit you is a bit of a lenient standard though. Still though, her dad. And Lelouch killed him. This is going to get reeeeeaaal ugly at some point.

Quasar

If they are planning to charge for it they're going to have to do a lot more to stand up against CR as competition.

Sure, it's like any non CR service. They have access to at least some funi dubs, so that might appeal to some. I more or less expected it to mirror the funi service, which isn't available to non US folks but they seem to be getting a chunk of content that's outside that scope.

Who knows how it will work. Might just be pay to not get adds. I wouldn't be against paying if it got them more bandwidth to their servers and they got all the funi exclusives along with other stuff.

I stopped watching Amagi Brilliant Fart (good one Woof) when I noticed it wasn't going to be about managing the park effectively but about magic and character interaction. I don't give a shit that you want to have an Indiana Jones adventure with your giant breast short skirt wearing waifu. I wanted to watch you manage a park in a cold but calculating manner dammit.

TUSR

Banned
I stopped watching Amagi Brilliant Fart (good one Woof) when I noticed it wasn't going to be about managing the park effectively but about magic and character interaction. I don't give a shit that you want to have an Indiana Jones adventure with your giant breast short skirt wearing waifu. I wanted to watch you manage a park in a cold but calculating manner dammit.

Let it sink in.

Quasar

you have a low bar for giant.

Lain

Fate/stay night Unlimited Blade Works 5

Rider has never been my favorite female character in F/SN, but she's got a nice voice.
The little fight between Tohsaka and Emiya was cool to watch but also a bit maddening when thinking how she saved his life some days before and now she's trying to kill him. It also shows that Tohsaka can get over her feelings to get to her goals, especially when pissed off.
All in all great episode, except for the fact that there was almost no Saber in it, a pretty hefty negative if you ask me.

Pooya

amagi 7

moe pirates, moe money. They should make a moe pirate anime, really.

This is worse than free, chuu2 and knk right now, good job.

duckroll

Hill Climb Girl

I found this really disappointing for a short about a girl who supposedly loves cycling. It's the polar opposite of the first short which managed to convey a number of themes in an imaginative and original setting while leaving much to the imagination and interpretation of the viewer. Here everything is heavy handed and simplistic.

The girl has a professional cyclist she admires, and she competes with a friend every morning racing to school on her bike. But there's no real display of passion, skill, or tactics even though it is presented as a competitive challenge. Her "passion" and "determination" amounts to close ups of her face while racing and close ups of the bike for dramatic shots.

When she saw the "inspiration" vision and the vocal song kicked it, it was clear this short was made by people who had no real interest in cycling or showing their love for it as a hobby or as a sport - it was just a random theme picked to frame a lazy throwaway story about "a person who really likes something and makes a little progress in it because she really believed" or something. Lame.

Note: This is the second entry in the Animator Expo shorts series: http://animatorexpo.com/hillclimbgirl/

cajunator

Banned
Code Geass 5

I for one am shocked that girl turned out to be a princess.

Mysterious girl C.C. shows up...but other than refuge doesn't really seem to be serving any purpose. Was thinking she and her power would do something this episode, but no, she's just there now.

While I sorta get what Suzaku's ideals are (I guess order and peace while he changes Brittania from the inside; good luck with that), somebody said earlier that he's going to do some incredibly stupid things, and after these last two episodes I don't have any doubts that that statement will be accurate.

CC best girl. She likes Pizza Hut and is the best.
Anyway, keep watching because damn, this show...

At no point does the Tree of Doom arc get better then tolerable.

Thats unfortunate.

B2PH0hkIgAAtpiN.png:large

up there with the best of shakespeares novels

Shakespeare was shit.

You mean you're not embracing the textures-pasted-over-3d-models future of backgrounds?

I kind of like this look but its pretty lazy. Its almost like its trying to echo Shinkai's work but for corner cutting sake.

I'll bring the gasoline, you guys take care of the rest, okay?

Please do not set Wonzo or other Gaffers on fire.

I've heard of the horror stories about Max Heart so it will be avoided. I'm not sure right now where to start on it. I did watch a dub episode of Futari wa a while back so I may just continue with that (in sub at least).

Futari Wa is pretty good and a great jumping off point to see how it began (and still two of the best Cures). The sentai aspects of the series dot show up until several seasons later though.

I like how trinity seven looks, the characters look less generic because of the faces imo

I like the character designs but they arent very special.

Well , no.
The faces are most distracting
Case in point :

I can't

Well "misunderstandings" is the theme of the show so far
I mean look at episode 2 and episode 4

it's misunderstandings everywhere , anytime !

That pic just shows that ninja girl is the best anyway. I like the white haired girl too though.

A bit off topic, but MAL pisses me off sooo much, my profile pic never changes. I just want to punch the living daylights out of someone. Surprises me how much this site makes me mad, like unreasonably so :mad:

I just use MAL for series information, characters, and pictures mainly.

Aikatsu! 108

Sumire's making a name for herself in the idol community rather quickly, if she can turn Maya's house of horrors into Snow White and the Seven Dorks. More importantly, this episode had a lot of Yurika. These scenes of the older generation mentoring the younger are one of the great parts of this season. The old characters get to stick around, and the new ones get to be fleshed out. The redhead called Juri is showing up next week - wonder what her deal is.

I have been told that Juri is lovely and that hair seems to confirm this. Makes me want to watch it but that series length >_<

I'd definitely recommend giving Psycho-Pass (season 1) a go. I was never really bothered by the premise of this entire Sybil system since a) it's the darn premise and b) it really isn't that far reached as far as I'm concerned. Compared to other dystopian fictions, I really don't have to stretch my suspension of disbelief much. For example,.something like 'Equilibrium' where everyone's taking a bunch of anti-emotion pills every day seems far more ridiculous. Yet, it didn't really bother me much in that movie.

Why is it so unlikely that society comes up with s.th. like the Sybil system in the span of a hundred years if it really does work for the most part and thus provides a nice sense of security? You wouldn't believe the US citizens could possibly be happy with their awful healthcare system, yet there it is.

That the system is in actuality still seriously flawed is of course pretty much the expected main topic of the show. You can still find that system to be too stupid when you actually see it in action but it feels like some people are rather dismissive on the premise itself.

Either way, other than that I actually really liked the visuals, a few of the characters and thought the pacing was rather great. Things like the many literature references to appear deeper were dumb but didn't end up bothering me much on the whole.

I feel like it did what it wanted to do pretty well.

Psycho-Pass S2 though. Is a completely unnecessary poor man's Psycho-Pass that can go fuck itself. Nice OP and ED though!

Still find it funny that people misspell Sibyl and instead I see my street name everywhere (Sybil)

Any suggestions for a new anime ringtone for my phone? Getting bored with my current one.

Chaika phrases. In particular when shes eating grapes. I find the adorable quotient to be quite high at those times.

My friend has this as his messages alert.

I like it!

Also reminds me that I really need to finish Steins;Gate. I think I got side tracked around ep 2 or 3 due to exams a couple months back, so I might as well start over.

Oh my god YES you need to watch it!!

Golden Boy 1 & 2

Holy shit

Indeed. Please continue! It stays good the whole time.

Watch a dub?

Yes in this case the dub is where the magic happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom