• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.
Den-ki gai 07

Lewd onsen and boobies episode. Poor Camera and Shark-teeth didn't get in on the fun though. Amusing how this episode was able to mix bookie love and serious relationship stuff together without it coming off as super awkward. I actually felt really bad for Kameko and Tsumorin. Kameko because she's my favorite character of the group but the one destined to not get matched up with the one she likes and Tsumorin simply because she seems so....desperate(?) to be with the manager again even though their time it over.

Parasyte - the maxim - 06

Interesting episode. Funny has his near death experience has already caused major changes in Shinichi's character and I must say I approve of what I'm seeing those far. Also kinda surprised that despite what happened to him he doesn't absolutely hate Migi but kinda sees him as an extremely important tool.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Avatar: The Legend of Korra Book 4: Episode 7

Right and there it is, there is the grand fucking culmination of being trapped by your own writing. Before this episode Kuvira was a mere authoritarian general perceiving to pick up the broken splinters of her fractured nation by whatever means necessary. Certainly not a strictly speaking good person, especially with the business of brutally crushing dissent beneath an iron heel, but that kind of goes with the business of being a military dictator. The fact of the matter is Kuvira has been the leader who has been more or less in the right this whole season. Basically this is why they had to add the element of true modern fascism/Nazism to the mix in a truly haphazard way. We are now told that Kuvira is purging people of non Earth Empire origin because we need a reason to hate Kuvira. That is it, we have not been given a reason why Kuvira would want to do this, nor as she or Bittar expressed any prejudicial viewpoints and there were certainly opportunities to introduce those elements in more subtle ways. So, you know what, fuck your shitty writing, I am still cheering for The Great Uniter. Speaking of things that don't make sense, why the fuck would Kuvira need Prince Wu now, for any reason? Also, Korra and Asami are a couple, I don't care what anybody says, this has gone beyond shipteasing. It is very clear that the writing staff want these two to be a couple and are working as hard as they can to make that happen. Let me see, Verrick and Bolin need their own spin-off series. Finally, I am remembering just how much I hate Mako and how useless he is. Also, I think it is pretty clear that Mako is being kept around to be Prince Wu's love interest at this point. Well, as much as the word interest can work with Mako at any rate.

wonzo

Banned
Yowapeda 28-32

yowapeda28.jpg

he actually sang the magical girl opening while catching up. lmfao

This show is too good whenever it hits that holy peak of SHONEN HAATO every now and then.

Yuuki yuuna wa yuusha de aru 06

After its been discovered that they've lost something as a result of their battle, how can I not feel the obvious dark undertones going on here? This new fact of being a Hero only reinforces the fact that I believe there's clearly more to being a Hero than just stopping monsters from wrecking shit. I have no doubt these changes are not temporary and the government is clearly hiding something from then. Out of all of them though I gotta feel even worse for Tougou, she's already playing behind the 8-ball with being unable to walk. I also can't help but note there's some weird meta commentary about disability here as well since she's been disabled since the beginning of the series.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The most awkward show to discuss
It's weird talking about a show no one cares about. lol

I also couldn't convince people here to vote for it as best TV show of the year, but I did it because TV is TV and distinguishing anime from live action is stupid!

Wait a second, Media Blasters is still around?

Okay, make that second worst, because even with the improved video quality coming from Sentai as you claim, there are still the complaints you mentioned in your post in addition to the fact that their dubs are still crap.
Yeah, Media Blasters is like some kind of glorified holding company now.

I used to like Sentai because they would license Japanese features like commentaries, omakes, OVAs, production diaries and so on. But it looks like they're doing the same boring barebones releases as Funimation now.

All I know is that firehawk scrubbed through the end of the movie, classic firehawk!
I watched the fucker in a theater. It probably coloured my experience more than it should have. lol

Avatar: The Legend of Korra Book 4: Episode 7

Right and there it is, there is the grand fucking culmination of being trapped by your own writing. Before this episode Kuvira was a mere authoritarian general perceiving to pick up the broken splinters of her fractured nation by whatever means necessary. Certainly not a strictly speaking good person, especially with the business of brutally crushing dissent beneath an iron heel, but that kind of goes with the business of being a military dictator. The fact of the matter is Kuvira has been the leader who has been more or less in the right this whole season. Basically this is why they had to add the element of true modern fascism/Nazism to the mix in a truly haphazard way. We are now told that Kuvira is purging people of non Earth Empire origin because we need a reason to hate Kuvira. That is it, we have not been given a reason why Kuvira would want to do this, nor as she or Bittar expressed any prejudicial viewpoints and there were certainly opportunities to introduce those elements in more subtle ways. So, you know what, fuck your shitty writing, I am still cheering for The Great Uniter. Speaking of things that don't make sense, why the fuck would Kuvira need Prince Wu now, for any reason? Also, Korra and Asami are a couple, I don't care what anybody says, this has gone beyond shipteasing. It is very clear that the writing staff want these two to be a couple and are working as hard as they can to make that happen. Let me see, Verrick and Bolin need their own spin-off series. Finally, I am remembering just how much I hate Mako and how useless he is. Also, I think it is pretty clear that Mako is being kept around to be Prince Wu's love interest at this point. Well, as much as the word interest can work with Mako at any rate.

If I was a Meme Master who had a folder of reaction gifs, this is where I include some violent table flip gif and tell this show to go fuck off.

I'd do it in the Korra thread, but I assume that'd get me banned. lol

jgminto

Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood 4

Sigh, I've been putting this off for a while but I think it's time I just power through to the stuff that wasn't in the original. From what I watched so far this episode has definitely been the biggest step down from the original.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
They made Kuvira too complex and nuanced and in the right politically speaking. They wrote themselves into a corner basically.
It's the Amon problem, where there might be a point to be made, but they also need the villain to be a villain so MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA EVIL TIME.

I mean, they made this stupid mistake already. Why would they repeat it?

Shengar

Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood 4

Sigh, I've been putting this off for a while but I think it's time I just power through to the stuff that wasn't in the original. From what I watched so far this episode has definitely been the biggest step down from the original.

I just watched the first episode of Brotherhood, and holy hell it's very disappointing. There's too many things that against the principle of Arakawa's writing that makes FMA feels solid in the first place.

fertygo

I just watched the first episode of Brotherhood, and holy hell it's very disappointing. There's too many things that against the principle of Arakawa's writing that makes FMA feels solid in the first place.

Brotherhood hasn't touching newer material till 15 eps or so, Its not been unfaithful or like that.

DEATH™

You Lie in April 6

As much as Tsubaki is awesome, I'm more excited about those 2 people wanting to kick Kousei's arse...

Amagi Brilliant Park 7

Sento's Hot, Tentacles, Park getting freebies, Sento's Hot, AV's awesome, and I got a feeling it's gonna be confession time next episode...

And did I mention already that Sento's Hot?

Pooya

argevollen 19
possible spoilers

I'm still watching this yeaaah, it feels like my own personal anime now. lolz.
It's actually fairly watchable now, it's ok. This episode had really nice developments, mass produced evas, pity sex and celebration before everybody dies. them death flags. I like the characters now and it appears it's going to get rough. poor Captain :(

Shengar

Brotherhood hasn't touching newer material till 15 eps or so, Its not been unfaithful or like that.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think that Brotherhood would unfaithful because that against what makes it exist in the first place. It's the attempt to make the pilot episode feel "grand", shows how it badly tries to add original touch. I'm not against slight addition of original material whatsoever. The problem is how this original material doesn't adhere to Arakawa's principle in her writing.

Arakawa is highly aware with what she draw in her manga. She knows what happened and what characters do in each panel. Rarely, her characters went overboard with their (battle) action. When her character action does went overboard like Ed&Al vs Lan Fan, she acknowledges it, the world react naturally as the battle end the people of Rush Valley protest how much destruction they've just made.

This isn't totally the case with episode 1 of Brotherhood. Isaac action of making city-wide transmutation circle just to freeze the Central Castle is far too excessive. Armstrong entrance by making through hole of someone's house is unnecessary. When he punched the oncoming pillar of ice, only to make it redirected to other way and crash through a building means there should be victims, yet the episode doesn't acknowledge it.There still many things that bug me out, but I'm just can't put them in coherent piece.

Puruzi

Banned
Yuki Yuna is a Hero 06
Jesus CHRIST I'm afraid for the girls. It'll be fucked up if they lose those things.
Yuna and Karin must be a thing also.

Twintails 06
Erina is the absolute best.

dan2026

Don't get me wrong, I don't think that Brotherhood would unfaithful because that against what makes it exist in the first place. It's the attempt to make the pilot episode feel "grand", shows how it badly tries to add original touch. I'm not against slight addition of original material whatsoever. The problem is how this original material doesn't adhere to Arakawa's principle in her writing.

Arakawa is highly aware with what she draw in her manga. She knows what happened and what characters do in each panel. Rarely, her characters went overboard with their (battle) action. When her character action does went overboard like Ed&Al vs Lan Fan, she acknowledges it, the world react naturally as the battle end the people of Rush Valley protest how much destruction they've just made.

This isn't totally the case with episode 1 of Brotherhood. Isaac action of making city-wide transmutation circle just to freeze the Central Castle is far too excessive. Armstrong entrance by making through hole of someone's house is unnecessary. When he punched the oncoming pillar of ice, only to make it redirected to other way and crash through a building means there should be victims, yet the episode doesn't acknowledge it.There still many things that bug me out, but I'm just can't put them in coherent piece.

Watch the whole series and you will see its an excellent adaption of the manga.
A lot better than the poor first adaption.

Jarmel

Banned
The 1st episode of Brotherhood was stupid but they seemingly needed something to separate themselves from the first series.

Looking at how Brotherhood was handled, I doubt we'll ever see something like a Soul Eater version.

I have not been able to watch much anime but started to just stream Arpeggio of Blue Steel on Netflix I was just about to shut it off after the first episode kept going got to the Makie arc too much feels to turn off

12 eps is kinda short should I read the manga instead or is there another season out there?

DiGiKerot

I have not been able to watch much anime but started to just stream Arpeggio of Blue Steel on Netflix I was just about to shut it off after the first episode kept going got to the Makie arc too much feels to turn off

12 eps is kinda short should I read the manga instead or is there another season out there?

The anime plot verges off wildly from the manga at about the point where you are at - they're following the TV show up with some movies at some point, though.

Jarmel

Banned
It's the Amon problem, where there might be a point to be made, but they also need the villain to be a villain so MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA EVIL TIME.

I mean, they made this stupid mistake already. Why would they repeat it?

Why wouldn't they? If you're stupid enough to make the mistake the first time, you're stupid enough to make it the second time.

Puruzi

Banned
The 1st episode of Brotherhood was stupid but they seemingly needed something to separate themselves from the first series.

Looking at how Brotherhood was handled, I doubt we'll ever see something like a Soul Eater version.
This is a necessary thing that needs to happen.

The anime plot verges off wildly from the manga at about the point where you are at - they're following the TV show up with some movies at some point, though.

kinda guessed that would be the case since it is so short wiki manga list seems to have many volumes I was wondering if the manga has some of the charm or is it darker?

If anything, the manga is a lot goofier than the anime was. Both Iona and Gunsou are way more personable there.

Ok Iona seems way too robotic and cold compared to everyone else of her kind who seem to be growing following their own agendas and desires

I'll try the manga later today thanks

Code Geass 11

I assume there's a reason they're hiding C.C.'s true name for now. Lelouch doesn't seem phased so I assume it's something that's not particularly important yet. Oh also she has amnesia. If I had to guess...Britannian Royal Family member.

Please tell me Kallen doesn't have a crush on Zero. That's the last thing we need.

About that.

They actually never reveal her name for the entirety of the show. One of the few things I really didn't like about it and was overall really pointless. I guess it's just there for the sake of speculation or something, but I don't know. Either way, they never reveal her real name. I know. It's stupid.

Code Geass 12

Ooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhh....

Heh, did Lelouch really just accept a kiss from Shirley after she just told him her father had been killed, and that he's the one who did it? Calling him gentle and such because he never hit you is a bit of a lenient standard though. Still though, her dad. And Lelouch killed him. This is going to get reeeeeaaal ugly at some point.

You have no idea.

Such a shame that this is all the stuff I hear about Kyoani nowadays. I haven't seen too many shows from them, but man would I be upset if a studio I really liked started doing this kind of thing. This is the kind of stuff people look at and say: "These guys made great anime before?!?"

My Hyouka for Gundam Build Fighters offer is still up you know. ;)

JCG

About that.

They actually never reveal her name for the entirety of the show. One of the few things I really didn't like about it and was overall really pointless. I guess it's just there for the sake of speculation or something, but I don't know. Either way, they never reveal her real name. I know. It's stupid.

Given the whole "water drop" device they used, my impression was...
...that it's almost like the Lost in Translation whisper or other similar situations in film (the sound of a moving train, planes taking off, etc.) that hide a spoken phrase from the audience and never reveal it. The mystery is part of the charm, in a romantic sort of way, even if it does annoy some viewers. What's important isn't necessarily what was said, the name could be anything, but the simple fact that Lelouch knows something truly personal about her now. That makes him special, in the grand scheme of all the other people that she granted Geass powers but never let in on that secret, accidentally or not. Which ultimately ties into how he does learn about C.C.'s past and true origins later on, etc.

Such a shame that this is all the stuff I hear about Kyoani nowadays. I haven't seen too many shows from them, but man would I be upset if a studio I really liked started doing this kind of thing. This is the kind of stuff people look at and say: "These guys made great anime before?!?"

Man, it's been years since I've even tried to proactively check out anything by Kyoani.

Nafe

Probably wasnt me because I wasn't posting about it but thanks a ton for the recommendation! Windy Tales looks like something that'd absolutely be up my alley.

Ah, okay. Hopefully you enjoy the show.

Jexhius was watching it. I remember this was the first non-Kurosawa Japanese movie I'd ever watched, so needless to say it coloured a lot of what I thought about Japan back then. It certainly helped that I hadn't even thought about anime back when this came out though. lol

Ah, I wondered if you had seen this yet. I think the only one I saw for sure was icarus. Hm, I don't remember what my first movie was.

On a random note, if you want to hear Viz community managers squirm like they're Ubisoft trying to explain why Assassin's Creed Unity is a piece of shit, you can listen to the new episode of ANNCast:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/anncast/2014-11-13/.81009

I will say, for all my issues with Zac, he didn't waste any time in asking the hard questions about the Sailor Moon BD. Of course, there are no real answers to get though.

I might have to give this a listen later. I wasn't really paying attention to Assassins Creed but had heard it had some bugs and now I've started to see some weird pictures of how the character models are messed up.

I'm almost glad that Crystal and the lack of an original DIC/Ocean dub killed any interest I had in Sailor Moon. At this point it's more laughing at the schadenfreude more than anything else.

I still think the first/original Japanese version is good and worth watching but unless Crystal really turns things around you don't really have to watch Crystal if you don't want.

I have to imagine a lot of people wrote it off because of the CG animation...

That could be part of it but it looked like a lot of people didn't even realize it was airing. Two or three episodes had already aired and were subbed even. Some commented that that kind of says something about the show as well. Amagi and G-Reco are in the same position but a lot of people were waiting for the first episodes there.

It's weird talking about a show no one cares about. lol

I also couldn't convince people here to vote for it as best TV show of the year, but I did it because TV is TV and distinguishing anime from live action is stupid!

I was like some people in that I was actually interested in the show but due to its long staggered release, I didn't start watching it until the second last Blu-ray volume or so was out. At least it won Aoty. ;p

I watched the fucker in a theater. It probably coloured my experience more than it should have. lol

Oh, really? Yeah, I imagine that would,haha. I watched the first part of the movie one day and then the rest the next day. Did they give a bit of a break at the theater?

Jarmel

Banned
What's interesting is the lack of key animators for an episode of Amagi Brilliant Park. They should have a bunch of key animators not doing anything right now. That seems to imply that either they're going all out with the Kyoukai no Kanata movie or they're working on a new resource-intensive series relatively soon.

Midonin

Seraphim Call 07

Math and time paradoxes. Another dreamlike story, this one having to do more with the content than the way it was presented. Why that time travel device was there wasn't as important as what it represented. Trying to attain the unttainable, and creating a closed time loop. Not too hard to follow, but, like the episodes before it, eventually gets to a point where the question of what is real becomes pronounced.

Seraphim Call 08

One of my favorite episodes of the show. Ayaka and her giant pet robot chameleon turning into a Thunderbirds-esque crimefighting force, wasting her dad's money on playing superheroes. Unlike the other episodes, this one looks like it was very much real, even if the shift in the episode midway is given little indication that it's going to happen. The giant robots and robot lizards made for a more fanciful side of this futuristic city. Comparing this episode to the ones around it is one of the things I love about anthology shows. Something for all tastes.

Seraphim Call 09

And back to something low-tech, low-stakes, and with a very human message. I like that this is also one of the first episodes of the series where the girl who sang the ED song and whose name was in the title - was not the primary focus of the episode. Kasumi Kurenai was more of an urban legend that Lulu was aspiring toward - and Lulu's the one who learned the lesson, this was really her story. Trying to argue with the object of her admiration that she wasn't enough like herself adds that nice touch of dramatic irony.

Anime's already a niche, shows like this are even more of a niche, but they never quite obtain the prestige of other shows. There's not even a central character in shows like this and Sengoku Collection. It requires thinking on a different level, but ultimately, the thing about it is the down-to-earth stories of the present, and 1999's idea of the distant future (now our recent past) make for something that feels very distinctly anime, in just the way I'm looking for when I describe anime.

What's interesting is the lack of key animators for an episode of Amagi Brilliant Park. They should have a bunch of key animators not doing anything right now. That seems to imply that either they're going all out with the Kyoukai no Kanata movie or they're working on a new series relatively soon.

Tarou got them all to quit.

phaze

Serial Experiments Lain 2:
Clubbing culture.

Lain is either really fearless or just plain crazy. That was a nice and tense scene at the end of the episode. Right now, I'm not sure how anything is fitting together, but it's all really fascinating to watch. This is a really neat window into a particular point in time and a very specific style. The whole thing just oozes atmosphere and it has a very cyberpunk type feeling. The opening scene of the episode in particular was pretty disorienting, but it fit perfectly well with the content of the scene. Lain is seeming to have found something that interests her and is going to bring her out of her shell somewhat. The use of sound remains something the show is doing extremely well. Well that and the power lines. I have no clue where any of this is going, but I'm loving every minute of it.

One of the best episodes for me. Just an incredibly tense and atmospheric visual trip.

S1 was really the only season of that show I enjoyed.

Whole show has been a huge step down from the original series.

I've been catching up on Avatar and Korra (up to S3) and I don't quite agree. Both shows are underwhelming but at least Korra doesn't go up its own episodic ass for the 3/5 of its run time.

Link Man

Banned
Been occupied most of the week (Bravely Default eating up my time), just got to watching some anime yesterday.

Chaika AB 6

Well, that got a bit bloody. Not really memorable, otherwise, but it was setup for what's to come.

Parasyte 6

Bullfighting and wine and the lost generation! Wait a minute...

But no, the show is starting to get really good now with the new upgrades. Shame about that clunky scene in the hospital, kind of killed the pacing.

Denki-GAI 7

Lewd, but touching.

Shengar

Watch the whole series and you will see its an excellent adaption of the manga.
A lot better than the poor first adaption.
I have faith in that! Just wished the first episode isn't that stupid
If only they make it less grand, it'll be acceptable. Like perhaps manhunt on Isaac while seemingly using Bradley as a bait.

Amagi - 07

This was yet another goofy episode, though not as funny as others. There were one too many stills for my taste and some animation were a bit lackluster. Tiramie keeps delivering the devious stuff I enjoy, it's probably my favorite character in this show.
Given the elemental girls were promoted in PVs and got their own ED I was expecting them to have more screen time/active roles by now. Yet they're still just in the background not doing much really.

This got me an urge for cute girls doing pirate stuff.

Midonin

Given the elemental girls were promoted in PVs and got their own ED I was expecting them to have more screen time/active roles by now. Yet they're still just in the background not doing much really.
For me, that goes for all the girls. Isuzu and Latifah haven't had much in the way of focus either. Isuzu got one episode last week, and I suppose there was episode 3, but most of the show has been banter between the mascots themselves, or Seiya and the mascots. It's not what I was hoping for going in. Though this is on the source material rather than KyoAni, so I'm not going to blame them.

Crocodile

Why do you say that? Too much work? Soul Eater not popular enough to be worth it?

Why wouldn't they? If you're stupid enough to make the mistake the first time, you're stupid enough to make it the second time.

I guess learning from one's mistakes was to much to ask of the Korra writers? I haven't seen the latest episode yet but you could already see the handlebars coming in on Kuvira's face in earlier episodes so it wouldn't surprise me if they went all the way this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom