• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Igarashi needs to kick Enokido to the curb and start directing magical girl shows again.

Just think, in five years we'll be saying "Rie Matsumoto sure had a promising career until she joined BONES, directed nothing but shounen adaptations and collaborated with [future disappointing staff]. She should have stayed at Toei."

DEATH™

I don't know, it just sounded like a single parent telling people to stay with their only child after 3 episodes of their life regardless of whatever smack problems they develop just so you can somehow manage to buy them some LEGOs.

Lol, I guess I need to reword my sentences.

I said that because shows like those IMO have a slow start (not like the first few episodes are awful). I was about to give up Toradora on the 5th episode but went through with it anyway and never regretted it.

duckroll

Yama no Susume 2 - Episode 1-3

Don't really want to rush it too much and marathon what's out of the series, so I've only watched 3 episodes so far. Since they're 10 minute episodes, there's an urge to just power through a ton of it, but that would dilute the healing energy it provides. I really like it so far.

I think firehawk is right in that the first season did more with less, but that's the nature of good 3 minute shows. In terms of "less is more", Pupipo is the king. It managed to cramp a lot of different themes, a pretty epic story, and a series of really varied events into the short runtime. But I don't think that is a negative thing for this second season. It might not do as much with each minute than the first season did, but each episode is three times longer, and that gives it more space to breath too. Pacing is tricky thing especially for shows which are more about the moments than the "story" so to speak.

The first episode of season 2 is a good example of how different the approach is for a series with a longer runtime. There were episodes in the first season which were very similar to this - the episode where Kokona spends the night at Aoi's place for example, or the final two episodes where they chill by the river. With an extended runtime here, they manage to tell a more complete form of that sort of story, while juggling all four characters at the same time. Could the same story have been condensed to the season one format and packed more of a punch in terms of runtime for content? Sure. But would that really make the story more effective? I don't think so. It's not necessarily better or worse, and I think for an expanded and more elaborate continuation of the series, the season is doing a pretty great job.

The next two episodes also made very good use of the expanded runtime to build up the feeling that the mountain they're climbing is more challenging and more exciting than the one from the first season. I like how aware the show is of the change in format, and how it uses it to feel "bigger". Considering the story theme is about climbing mountains and the escalation in difficulty and reward, the expansion of the runtime and the season length plays into that really well. The production values are also way, way better, which makes it even more appealing to watch on a visual level.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Inuyasha: The Final Act Episode 1

Pacing, what is this pacing you speak of? Got to go faster, faster, faster, faster!

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Yuki Yuna is a Hero - 6

So
each of the girls who powered up the last episode has lost part of a physical ability.

Yet despite that, everything's still all happy with them. I'm really curious to see what direction this show is going to go in now.

Like,
is there really going to be no more magical girl stuff from now on? Or will the conditions they have worsen despite us continually being told this episode that they're temporary.

Honestly, I can't exactly feel the foreshadowing here as much as I did with Madoka. In that show,
you could feel a genuine sense of hopelessness. And even in its first few episodes it still had that overall feel that things weren't exactly "quite right".

In this show, we've still got a nice, upbeat attitude with our main characters for the most part, despite the setbacks.

To get a little insight on this show, I did a little investigating and I read that the main themes for this show are "courage", and "being a hero". Now, I know the latter is obvious, but the former gives me room for further speculation.

The whole thing with them
losing a part of their physical abilites due to them powering up may play in favour of the courage thing. So if they do end up having to transform into magical girls again, I assume everyone (save Yuna) will be scared to power up again in the middle of a battle. Which will lead to the deaths of one of the members of the club. Then the remainder of the show will be about them fightining off the last enemies with their full power, despite knowing what could happen to their bodies. With the whole message being the usual "Having courage and being a hero means doing what you have to do, even though it's scary" kind of thing.

That's the way I can see this show going. My other thoughts? I really hope they somehow top the fight scene from the last episode and have them go all TTGL.

It's really strange how this show doesn't have many viewers here. It's nothing like that Day Break Illusion show that aired last year.

Yeah, hard to see how the series goes from here, unless there's another 'bad guy' around the corner, it'll probably about them coming in term with their disability.

I expect good action from this anime!

Is there a studio that is extremely consistent? More so than other studios? I know it's technically a subjective answer, but is there such a thing as a studio that makes critically acclaimed shows regularly?

Probably none. Even the best studio have their bad day once in a while. And yeah, director also affect the quality...

Millennium actress

Wow, what a fantastic movie. I could see myself putting this in my top 5-10 all time favorite anime movies. Everything about it was well done, from the characters and cinematography to the transitions between the past and films. I cannot find the words to express how much I loved the movie. I want to go back an hour and half ago to view it again. What do/did you guys think of this movie?

I think the same as you :)

Jarmel

Banned
Ultimate Blade Works-6

Some scenes were well directed, other's weren't. The intro conversation in particular was wonky as it kept panning to something either up or down.

Quasar

Log Horizon 2.07 - Liked this, but then tiny ninja is a favourite and I liked this novel more than its sequel.

SAO 2.19 - Liked this, but then I like when we see outside the games even if it's all about how Asunas mum is an awful status chasing control freak. I kind of wish Asuna would tell her she's a mother with that lower class boy, just to see her explode.

Shengar

This might be one of the worst anime related posts I've read on GAF O_O

9QxNmso.gif

Jex

In general, I don't really think Attack on Titan is really worth wasting your energy on in terms of online debate. I feel like each side on the 'how good is Attack on Titan?' argument has stated their case numerous times. There's no real need for further debate, at this stage.

Yuki Yuna is a Hero - 6

So
each of the girls who powered up the last episode has lost part of a physical ability.

Yet despite that, everything's still all happy with them. I'm really curious to see what direction this show is going to go in now.

Like,
is there really going to be no more magical girl stuff from now on? Or will the conditions they have worsen despite us continually being told this episode that they're temporary.

Honestly, I can't exactly feel the foreshadowing here as much as I did with Madoka. In that show,
you could feel a genuine sense of hopelessness. And even in its first few episodes it still had that overall feel that things weren't exactly "quite right".

In this show, we've still got a nice, upbeat attitude with our main characters for the most part, despite the setbacks.

To get a little insight on this show, I did a little investigating and I read that the main themes for this show are "courage", and "being a hero". Now, I know the latter is obvious, but the former gives me room for further speculation.

The whole thing with them
losing a part of their physical abilites due to them powering up may play in favour of the courage thing. So if they do end up having to transform into magical girls again, I assume everyone (save Yuna) will be scared to power up again in the middle of a battle. Which will lead to the deaths of one of the members of the club. Then the remainder of the show will be about them fightining off the last enemies with their full power, despite knowing what could happen to their bodies. With the whole message being the usual "Having courage and being a hero means doing what you have to do, even though it's scary" kind of thing.

That's the way I can see this show going. My other thoughts? I really hope they somehow top the fight scene from the last episode and have them go all TTGL.

It's really strange how this show doesn't have many viewers here. It's nothing like that Day Break Illusion show that aired last year.

If you want to know what direction things are going to go in just look at the title of episode 7 shown at the end of 6.

Idyllic Happiness

That tells me that things are going to do downhill after episode 7. What you speculated is accurate I think. After trying to get back to their normal lives they're going to have to fight against a new enemy and will definitely be forced to make some heavy decisions.

Being a courageous hero doesn't always end on happy note.

Jarmel

Banned
In general, I don't really think Attack on Titan is really worth wasting your energy on in terms of online debate. I feel like each side on the 'how good is Attack on Titan?' argument has stated their case numerous times. There's no real need for further debate, at this stage.

To be fair, the manga actually did get better for a while. Mainly when it stopped focusing on the mysteries.

If you want to know what direction things are going to go in just look at the title of episode 7 shown at the end of 6.

Idyllic Happiness

That tells me that things are going to do downhill after episode 7. What you speculated is accurate I think. After trying to get back to their normal lives they're going to have to fight against a new enemy and will definitely be forced to make some heavy decisions.

Being a courageous hero doesn't always end on happy note.

My issue is if they're gonna pull the rug, they really burned a lot of time doing so. I mean you're over half-way through your broadcasting run and finally shit starts getting realy.

Jintor

Log Horizon s2 03-05

Wow, this really went nuts. 03 was completely action, 04 was near complete character building and setup, and then 05 took nearly a complete genre shift with the introduction of the new primary antagonist for this mini-arc or whatever.

It's interesting how the dual nation of respawning being both kind of trivial yet still really frightening is dealt with by the populace at large and with characters in general, who I would describe as being "logically" blaze about dying but emotionally still invested. Still, I can't help but feel like the anime at least doesn't get the balance quiiiiiiiiiite right. Well, 06 looks like it's going to deal with that a bit, so I guess I'll comment more later.

Very difficult not to marathon this... well, I guess I have marathoned it, since i watched 4 episodes today and didn't actually intend to. But I got most of my work done, so I guess it doesn't matter.

Mamare might not be a great immediate writer, but I honestly believe he's a pretty good plotter... of course, that's viewing his stuff filtered through both an animated director and a whole bunch of different translators. I would really love to interview him though.

Jex

To be fair, the manga actually did get better for a while. Mainly when it stopped focusing on the mysteries.
But, if decades of television (Twin Peaks, X-Files, LOST) have taught me anything, it's that people generally care more about mysteries than anything else. I don't think the second season of AoT will be that well received for this very reason.

Quasar

Log Horizon s2 03-05

Wow, this really went nuts. 03 was completely action, 04 was near complete character building and setup, and then 05 took nearly a complete genre shift with the introduction of the new primary antagonist for this mini-arc or whatever.

It's been interesting seeing the two parallel books smashed together for the show.

Yuru Yuri ♪♪ - END

That was pretty enjoyable. Yuru Yuri's your standard slice of life/comedy moe anime, but it was very competent in that regard. The humor was pretty good (the running gag were hilarious), but what really kept me watching was how engaging it was. It does a pretty job of adapting the various little events from the manga, so episodes rarely dragged on. The characters were likeable and varied, and the show somehow finds the time to develop all of them. It's worth noting that while Yuri isn't the focus of the anime, but there's a sizeable amount to found. Just don't expect any involved yuri pairings.

All in all a solid, "easy-going" anime.

PS:
You were wrong R_Thanatos, Season 2/Episode 1 was still my favorite by a nautical mile!

Ok then , your opinion , you can agree that the rest of the episode were good ? You're telling me that the time travelling episode did nothing ?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So, a change of artist (we're using Jasmin Darnell now, in case people don't remember) delayed things a bit, but we have a sketch!

If anyone has any comments/things that might be changed, feel free to let me know via PM!

Scan248_zps19a0a0ab.jpg

Shingeki no bahamut : genesis - 02

A good episode.
I wonder how long will favaro keep lying and how this will end.

So far so good , both on the practical and technical level.

T'his is a good anime

Cross Ange - 07

It's a step up from last episode, but I didn't enjoy it as much as I have other episodes. The first bath scene where Ersha and Lolipop threw in the brushes were funny.
The virgin looked pretty rad. Now that they're all jolly good friends maybe the plot will progre- oh next episode appears to be obligatory beach episode, go on..

DiGiKerot

Girl Und Panzer 8

I dunno what's better/worse, the completely out of nowhere scene of the Russian girls singing, or the laughable dub hack job that replaced it with tetris music. The Russian singing had me

1264091579_kirk_rofl.gif

The Tetris version however made me question my faith in humanity... or at least in Sentai, how the fuck could you not come up with a better solution then that?

I dunno man, Sentai get a lot of crap for this, but if you actually play both versions of the scene side-by-side, in addition to the removal of the lip-flaps, there are actually quite a few other alterations to the animation in terms of scene transitions and pan timing and duration to go along with the change in music. I don't think Sentai would have either the money, capability or materials to do such a thing themselves, which makes me think that the whole amended sequence was what they were handed from the licensors in Japan and told they had to use.

Girls und Panzer movie delayed to 2015 Summer
http://yaraon.blog109.fc2.com/blog-entry-28244.html

Well it's expected, GuP anime always delay lol

Tarou confirmed as GuP staffer.

Joe Molotov

Suite Precure 3 - 10

xlP6zIM.jpg

Suite Precure in a nutshell, so far.

Hummy is so dumb, but I can't help but like her. She's dumb in a funny way, not an annoying way. She's not constantly begging for food like an infant or getting into trouble. Also, dat Kotono Mitsuishi!

ptrRedY.gif

I don't know about all this, though...

12I6d38.jpg

I guess....a cat is fine too?

Cross Ange - 07

svEYDvv.jpg

Perfection

Got some glorious Ange and Captain fanserivce like I desired. Ange finally decided to stop being a bitch to her comrades and a couple of them finally decided to stop being a bitch to her.

I dunno man, Sentai get a lot of crap for this, but if you actually play both versions of the scene side-by-side, in addition to the removal of the lip-flaps, there are actually quite a few other alterations to the animation in terms of scene transitions and pan timing and duration to go along with the change in music. I don't think Sentai would have either the money, capability or materials to do such a thing themselves, which makes me think that the whole amended sequence was what they were handed from the licensors in Japan and told they had to use.

Tarou confirmed as GuP staffer.

I noticed the changes to the animation, but the changes looked really bad. It looked like I was watching GuP abridged and kept expecting someone to make a pop culture reference.

FS/N UBW 6
Characters are killing this series. I just don't like anyone. Shirou is dumb, Saber is boring, Rin has been reduced to be tsun, Shinji seems pigeon-holed to his role of bad guy, Sakura still doesn't do anything except cooking...

Mushishi S2 17
An interesting plot looking at the separate elements but I don't think they all formed together a good episode that really made viewers feel something strongly, be sad drama or melancholy or happiness. It starts being kind of a mystery and then Ginko arrives and explain everything in flashbacks. Though it has some nice moments, like when
the unknowing mother pulls the thread of her own baby. Me: "no don't do it!"

Cross Ange 7

Better than the previous one, it's enough ridicule in parts to be enjoyed. Hot bath scene, lesbo scene, random magical girl scene, the mortal Japanese cold, some action in the end.

BluWacky

But, if decades of television (Twin Peaks, X-Files, LOST) have taught me anything, it's that people generally care more about mysteries than anything else. I don't think the second season of AoT will be that well received for this very reason.

Is that really true in the case of X-Files? My impression - as a very insular but still quite keen X-Files fan - was that the standalone Monster Of The Week episodes were generally more popular than the mytharc episodes (leaving aside the ones which mixed the two elements more successfully, like Triangle etc.) I mean, by the time they wrapped up "who took Samantha Mulder?" no-one really cared, and this was reflected in the quality of the resolution.

(additionally it was the Mulder/Scully dynamic that really made the show work, otherwise it would have continued long into the ether with Doggett and Reyes).

There are still lots of mysteries to theorize, discuss and solve in the second season of AoT, if it covers everything in the manga up to now.

big manga spoilers, don't read if you only watched the anime
-monkey beast titan, nature and abilities
-titan secret village
-Historia backstory
-Ymir nature and relationship with Historia
-shifter ability inner workings
-coordinate ability
-Eren strange memories flashbacks
-king's family secrets and powers
-conspiracy in the government and in the foundation of the city
-Eren's father, his death, his motives, relationship with the king
-Ackerman family "powers"
-etc

Necrovex

Well Attack on Titan won't be received well at all if you start comparing it to the greatest show known to humanity, Twin Peaks. :p

Midonin

Cross Ange 07

Magical girls are one of the greatest gifts Japan has given the world. Now, when I said I wanted "magical girls and mecha" in the same series this wasn't quite what I meant, but I do think it's interesting that the introduction of cosplay and manga, elements of otaku culture in our world that may not necessarily exist in this fictional one in the same form, are the things that end up bringing everyone closer together. I'm also starting to wonder just how seriously the next episode dialogue should be taken when looking for someone to blame, since Salia blames the writers for "revealing her secret", even though in terms of in-show progression that was undeniably a good thing. It's not quite Lagrange yet, and I don't think it ever will be, but this (and everything past episode 5, really) are notable improvements in terms of good vibes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom