• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikodemos

Can anyone recommend me some reasonably decent action series featuring firearms? Something in the vein of Black Lagoon, Jormungand, Gunsmith Cats, Canaan etc. Basically as long as it has guns and they're not fantasy-depicted it would interest me. No mecha, though, not a fan of that.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Seven Deadly Sins 7

Well its good to see that the gore isn't being censored.
Strange how some shows have such a problem with tv censorship(Terra Formars, Jojo etc) and some get away scott free.

Code:
[IMG]http://s11.postimg.org/c4oz3effn/ban.jpg[/IMG]

Is this show any good?

Narag

Kokkuri-san 7

mods please set this
XUOZKQ7.png
emoticon to :fantasticmrjeff tia

SNAFU 13

You know they're planning an athletic festival since people are wearing tracksuits.

Well... At least it wasn't another culture festival episode.

Hm... I dunno. It's a change with a pessimistic main character I guess. It got some comedy, but it's kinda boring sometimes. Maybe it's just not my kind of show.

Wasn't all bad though, so 2.5/5 Teen Romantic Comedy movies:
5sC0HIQ.png

Grexeno

Please be something that would be awesome to see on Toonami... Please be somthing that would be awesome to see on Toonami.
Although if it's Hunter x Hunter, that would suck for anyone looking to own the series on disc. The entire series could run over $1000 dollars with Sentai pricing.

Everyone should watch Yuuki Yuuna.

Yeah, it may resemble Madoka quite a bit at first, but thankfully the show isn't trying to BE Madoka and has its own identity. It's really enjoyable!

Apparently Sentai is going to announce another license today and it's a big one.

Hunter X Hunter. Please let it be Hunter X Hunter!

Please be something that would be awesome to see on Toonami... Please be somthing that would be awesome to see on Toonami.

Hunter X Hunter on Toonami really would be awesome. I'd love seeing people's impressions of that show in ToonamiGAF.

Xeteh

So from reading the comments here after the last few episodes of Akame ga Kill I decided to read the manga to see what it was missing. Its really fantastic and a real shame that the anime is doing its own thing at this point. I'll probably keep watching it to see where it goes but man what a bummer.

Midonin

Inou Battle 07

All the meta stuff this story is saying is really speaking to me. The subject matter and the way it's discussing it is fascinating. The centerpiece of the episode is Hatoko's speech, which shows how "normal" she is to everybody. And the thing is, I think both of them having some time to self-reflect was good. Jurai wasn't being "spineless", I'll disagree on that, because a guy being willing to look into his emotional inner world, something he does very often, just missed this blind spot, is a good thing. Just as Hatoko trying to get to the root of her problems, and getting some helpful advice, is a good thing.

Jurai has his power because it makes him look cool. Chifuyu has endless, youthful imagination, so she can make dreams reality. Tomoyo wants some time to herself to write, so she has it. Sayumi is the guiding force of the group, the den mother, so she can heal. Hatoko's powers, though, are flexible, but probably the most "generic" set of powers you can get. What someone who wasn't heavily invested in anime literature would think of when they think of superpowers, with the exception of other really basic things like flight and super strength.

Loved the Time is Guilty moment, too. I'm not sure what freezing time and calling on dark flames would do in unison, but the thought process behind it counts. Hatoko's jealousy may slightly have something to do with romance, but it's really coming from a different place. Because romance is a spice that can be added to everything, but it's not always the main flavor. (I swore to myself I'd not use food metaphors. But they're so helpful.) It's this show that consistently gives me the most to write about. Like Tomoyo, I can relate to having writers' block when it comes to naming your characters. Jurai's sister, like Maiya, also provides a nice foil for his home life.

It's a show that needs to be understood, but it falls into a certain niche, so it's not going to be understood by everybody. Anime that works on a meta level is common these days, but this is one of the ones that's really hit home with me, for the first time in a while, because it's talking about anime culture itself. How people would respond to anime becoming real, even in such a limited capacity. The gap between fiction and reality.

It's also honest, the honesty is simply coming from a different place. Because the "real" can be defined in as many ways as there are people.

See duckroll, if we got stuff like this:

I wouldn't mind CGI at all in anime. We're just not there yet, on multiple levels.

I'm also not sure if the anime studios are ever gonna get there with their cramped, low budget working spaces. In the end there's a lot of proper R&D required to create proper 3D frameworks/engines and push the technology ahead. There's not only 3D artists but also programmers unless the studios purely rely on third party software (which would come with its own share of disadvantages).

Dunno, I just can't see that kind of work blossom in the average anime workplace.

So I won't be surprised if we get only very little great CGI in anime that not only looks great but also not out of place/shares the same aesthetics. For instance in F/Z there is a lot of solid CGI work when considered on its own (Berserker for example), but I still feel like it doesn't merge well with the hand-drawn animation. It actually lowers my immersion as I can't help but actively notice the inconsistency of the visuals.

Mr.Jeff

Grisaia no Kajitsu Episode 6
Everyone in this show is fucking insane
Is episode 6 the start of Sachi? I read a lot of similar comments yet no-one mentions any details!
If it is, it's kinda sad they're leaving the 3 worst routes for last.*

*Worst being subjective since they're all terribly written.

WataMote 12

I know this feeling.

And I guess I recognize myself in some of the other situations Tomoko finds herself in too. Luckily not everything and to this extent though. I've both laughed at the show and felt bad for laughing at some stuff. I've felt bad for Tomoko and disliked what she's thinking about others. It's both fun, depressing and a bit horrible, and the end of episode 11 made me cry :p

Some interesting animation and music cues. The OP is fitting, and the main ED has gone from being funny because of the singing to being pretty sad in the end.

I liked this show, so 4/5 shattered Tomokos:
k9lLuUu.png
k9lLuUu.png
k9lLuUu.png
k9lLuUu.png
HCA1zHZ.png

zulux21

Is this show any good?

if you like shounen shows you will likely enjoy 7 deadly sins as aside from the pointless molestation from time to time it's a solid shounen show.

If you don't like shounen shows though this one isn't going to do anything to win you over.

as for the sentai acquisition....
I'm hoping it's Skip Beat, with at the same time a second season funded by them coming as well.... but alas skip beat is always what I hope when someone teases an acquisition (the second season comes in when they say it's a big one :p) (it used to go back and forth between that and yakitate japan but rightstuf already saved me from needing to hope for yakitate anymore :) )

e_i

Nisekoi manga 1-147

Raku is the pimp. Just how many girl's are love with him? He's even gotten
Chitoge's foreign princess doppleganger.
Seriously though
Mako and Ruri
should start dating and having lots of hatesex.

zulux21

I want a HxH so bad but I'll be kinda scared if Sentai gets it. Can't think of any good recent dubs from them.

personally I am surprised that funimation didn't pick it up. I know they have some fears about longer series and don't really pick them up anymore, but last time I checked Yu Yu Hakusho did pretty well for them and thus could appeal to their fans who already have Yu Yu.

My guess though is that the Japanese owners of Hunter x Hunter want way to much money for it and that is why it hasn't been picked up and isn't likely the pick up sentai is teasing though.

Sentai has licensed The Familiar of Zero: Knight of Two Moons.

I am fine with this, hope it gets a dub as I tried watching season 2 in japanese and just can't stay interested but I should be able to continue the show with a dub.
I am wondering if since they call it a big one if they managed to get the rest of the seasons though.

e_i

personally I am surprised that funimation didn't pick it up. I know they have some fears about longer series and don't really pick them up anymore, but last time I checked Yu Yu Hakusho did pretty well for them and thus could appeal to their fans who already have Yu Yu.

My guess though is that the Japanese owners of Hunter x Hunter want way to much money for it and that is why it hasn't been picked up and isn't likely the pick up sentai is teasing though.

I am fine with this, hope it gets a dub as I tried watching season 2 in japanese and just can't stay interested but I should be able to continue the show with a dub.
I am wondering if since they call it a big one if they managed to get the rest of the seasons though.

So Sentai has seasons 1,2, and 4. Not 3...yet.

Acosta

Barakamon [End]

Managed to find the time and the will to end Barakamon. Honestly, I didn't watch because I never wanted it to end.

It was not amazing, and when I say that, I mean that it doesn't have moments that make me think "this was amazing", or "hilarious" or "extremely clever". I see The Eccentric Family and I can name several moments that I would describe as amazing, art wise or plot wise. Barakamon doesn't have that, but it doesn't have it because it's not in its nature. It´s a placid show that warms your heart, like some kind of delicious soup. It´s not made for the amazement of your senses but for making yourself feel better. And as any dish, maybe making a simple soup it´s relatively easy, but there is a difference depending of your knowledge and the materials used, Barakamon has top quality ingredients that are cooked with calm and care for 12 episodes.

I'm not going to declare it AOTY or anything, I think, but I'm glad I watched this. It´s too "perfect" to give me a lesson of maturity but it´s something great to wash away the struggles of real life, especially if you can relate a little with that feeling of creative anxiety.

Extra points for adorable mom.

Midonin

Book of Bantorra 04-06

I liked the conclusion to the first arc/book. Colio got to have his hero moment and prove everyone wrong. The fifth episode was a cute standalone episode - and shows that not every book is full of tragedy - but the sixth episode marks the start of something I didn't think would come about until much later. The start of a very Noloty-centered arc. She remains the best character, and it looks like Meseta isn't quite as heartless as she seemed. She's using Noloty's kindhearted nature for the best possible causes. (Also her surprising strength. That girl could punch me, if she wanted.) For this arc, at least, I remain invested. The magic feels kinda low and high at the same time. It's highly regulated, but as fantastic as anything you'll find this season. Kind of like Someday's Dreamers, but with more violence.

phaze

Man, the next episode is one of my favorite episodes of anything, hope you like episode 16.

Can't say I was particularly enthralled by it unfortunately.

Ergo Proxy 16
Right, so giving some much needed character development to Re-L was certainly a good idea, I'm just not sure if we needed to spend 20 minutes on mundane ship activities and facial hair joke just to give her the ability to smile. It doesn't help that this was just after the series dropped some serious story bombs in the most deranged manner in the previous episode and yet, they even failed to acknowledge in any way the existence of that bizarre TV show here. Maybe it was just mine or Vincent's fever dream. I'm also completely fed up with the wasteland and hope that Vincent and company will manage to get their asses to Mosk soon. It's been like 10 episodes now ...

Yowapeda Grande Road Episode 7

Pretty bad writing in this week too, I cant wait for this drama and silliness with the pack to be over with and Machimiya to go away if possible. How dare they ingest Braces kun :(

I hope Imaizumi can pull away.

Pupipo! - Episodes 1-15 [END]

How could they manage to fit such an amazing story in just 15 three minute episodes? It's simply unbelievable.

Pupipo is the best anime I've seen from 2014. If you haven't seen this yet, spare 45 minutes of your time and watch it, you won't regret it.

Can't say I was particularly enthralled by it unfortunately.

Ergo Proxy 16

Right, so giving some much needed character development to Re-L was certainly a good idea, I'm just not sure if we needed to spend 20 minutes on mundane ship activities and facial hair joke just to give her the ability to smile. It doesn't help that this was just after the series dropped some serious story bombs in the most deranged manner in the previous episode and yet, they even failed to acknowledge in any way the existence of that bizarre TV show here. Maybe it was just mine or Vincent's fever dream. I'm also completely fed up with the wasteland and hope that Vincent and company will manage to get their asses to Mosk soon. It's been like 10 episodes now ...

I think that was the last episode I really enjoyed of the show, although I can't quite recall. In general though it just got too experimental and pretentious from hereon.

Pupipo! - Episodes 1-15 [END]

How could they manage to fit such an amazing story in just 15 three minute episodes? It's simply unbelievable.

Pupipo is the best anime I've seen from 2014. If you haven't seen this yet, spare 45 minutes of your time and watch it, you won't regret it.

Is this on Crunchyroll? I might check it out since I dropped JoJo (time constraints). If pupipo is really that short then I'd like to check it out if it is on CR.

Inou Battle - 07

Holy shit. Andou got put on fucking BLAST by Hatoko.. Mad props to the VA who does her voice because that was an excellent 2+ minutes. Like that the story itself is being pushed forward by this new group of people as well. Really looking forward to the next episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom