• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

Defuser

Inou battle ep 7
applause-gif-tumblr-457s5q.gif

Holy fucking shit. Hayami Saori is one beast of a VA with that outburst, I always knew she is talented but dammmmmmmnn.

Genshiken: Second Season - 01

....I have absolutely no idea what I just watched, in both a good way and a bad way. In the bad way, the pacing in this was too fast for me to really grasp anything. In the good way, it's fun in it's over exaggeration of some of it's cast.

cajunator

Banned
I would pay money that I could get my memories of watching CG first time erased from my memory and I would be able to experience it again. It's so damn entertaining show.

Same. also several other shows like Haibane Renmei, Kinos journey, From The New World..If I could turn back time...

Oh man.

"Forgive me General but I have to KILL ALL THE JAPANESE!"

I assume somewhere there's a gif of Bender saying "Hey, sexy mama. Wanna kill all Japanese?"

LOL. This is the turning point where the show went from amusing trainwreck to legendary clusterfuck. The world was never the same.

Log Horizon, the anime decide not to mention sexual stuff that's happening in the novel.

Parasyte, making the anime more modern.

Aoi Bungaku, especially the Hashire Melos part.

Sexual stuff in Log horizon?

I haven't followed this discussion so I don't know if this applies, but Sailor Moon?

You mean the greatest right.

Definitely one of the top anime scenes. Who could forget it? We are all witnesses to history.

Well during the first susukino events , when the assholes were feared in town , the people of the land were abused in various ways ( including what you can think of ) This was ommitted in the anime because this wasn't an important plot point . i'm not even sure this part wasn't removed during the second version of the priniting of the books it's not even said , just heavily implied..

- Sabagebu is a good one ( since it's vastly different from the manga )
-Galaxy angel went from serious space drama sci-fi in their games to Comedy of the week episodes

2 examples on the top of my head.

Galaxy angel's approach worked the best for it. That wouldnt work well as a serious drama of any sort. As bite sized comedy its gold.
How did Sabagebu differ?

Excel Saga is an example of a studio reading up on the source material, throwing all of it in the trash, and then getting high on a cocktail of coke, heroin, and some exotic east asian herbs and committing the result to film.

Excel Saga is exhausting. But man what a drug that show was. So frenetic the english VA lost her voice and got sick.

You already saw it.
When Nina masturbated with the table while thinking of Euphy

Fuck that scene ._.
Actually fuck Nina too. Worst girl.

No Game No Life Episode 1

Thumbs up. I liked it a lot. Cool MC, cute sister, fantasy world and a fun-sounding story. The anime didn't waste much time on the "traveling-to-a-new-world" schtick, which was appreciated. Anyways, so they're in a world ruled by games. I'm hoping for some bad ass games where the MC wins in awesome ways. I'm kinda curious if the real world will be touched upon later, like their parents and more details on how they became so introverted.

This show is so much fun. Kind of like mondaiji with the OP characters with supreme confidence and the winning nature to back it up, but a bit more smartly written.
There is a character and an episode coming up soon that you wont forget. she will probably become your favorite too!

It'd probably be on my AOTY list if not for that shit.

It was on my list because I didnt think that stuff was all that bad in NGNL. Certainly nothing I noticed. I think yall over-exaggerated that aspect of it.

Get used to it. Ruins a pretty good show imo.

Nah not even close.

Cross Ange - 01

aIl1WGf.gif
aIl1WGf.gif
aIl1WGf.gif

So I gotta ask.
The blood on her dress when she's laying on the floor was from earlier when she was holding her dying mother right? Because there's no way that all came from her during her physical.

BUT YEAH. PURITY IN FULL FORCE!

Lol I knew you'd get to this eventually. Welcome back to the fold BTW. Havent seen you around!

Probably massively LTTP, but I just saw on twitter that they are doing a 5-year anniversary box set for K-On!!
rBgSyCIl.jpg

Only 30000 yen!

It's just crazy to think that was five years ago though. Damn.

Nice set! I already have blurays of it but if there wasnt anything Id be tempted at least.

Denki-gai 01

That was pretty good. I lost it at the awkward shrink-wrapping 18+ material scene and the Sommelier's Party. The second story wasn't nearly as funny but it was kind of like skipping four arcs of Genshiken and going straight to Comic-fes, which was okay. Probably keep watching this one.

Second episode goes into some lolicon territory. It was pretty disconcerting but at least its done for satire. Still not comfortable.

Man theres nothing for me :(
But these sales usually happen too late anyway.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Sexual stuff in Log horizon?

Man theres nothing for me :(
But these sales usually happen too late anyway.

Yeah, there's implied sexual assault in the novel version. Not that it's important anyway. I think the anime also omit the need to go to bathroom, tone down the violence, and the manual looting (as in, they need to skin the monster they kill to get the loot)

Defuser

All these years I've been listening to Maximum the Hormone's F, a slight thought came to my head in amuse of why is this song chorus has a similarities to Frieza and never thought about it further. And now my mind is blown because the is song actually all the while is about frieza when Toriyama chose the name for the dragonball movie.

Genshiken: Second Season - 02

An improvement over the first episode, if only just for the better pacing. Don't know whether or not I'm gonna end up really hating or really liking Yajima by the end of this, but thankfully it's started to tilt towards the latter now.

cajunator

Banned
Everyone should watch Yuuki Yuuna.

Agreed. At least if you like drama/mahou shoujo, cuties in peril

YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

AWESOMEBEAR WE DID IT!

Noted. Time is too limited to watch anything not great or seminal. Hito sure didn't steer me wrong with UY.

Right now I'm looking at:
Ideon
LOGH
Dirty Pair
Wolf's Rain
Tylor

Amongst others.

Still got a lot of Urusei Yatsura to get through though. Maybe if there was a season where I wasn't watching 7 shows I could get through it a bit quicker...

AWESOME! Dirty Pair and Tylor are classic! So much nostalgia fuel.

Can anyone recommend me some reasonably decent action series featuring firearms? Something in the vein of Black Lagoon, Jormungand, Gunsmith Cats, Canaan etc. Basically as long as it has guns and they're not fantasy-depicted it would interest me. No mecha, though, not a fan of that.

Noir's second half, Burn Up W, Burst angel, Madlax, Youre Under Arrest plays the cop thing pretty straight..

Kokkuri-san 7

mods please set this
XUOZKQ7.png
emoticon to :fantasticmrjeff tia

PLEASE DO THIS

WataMote 12

I know this feeling.

And I guess I recognize myself in some of the other situations Tomoko finds herself in too. Luckily not everything and to this extent though. I've both laughed at the show and felt bad for laughing at some stuff. I've felt bad for Tomoko and disliked what she's thinking about others. It's both fun, depressing and a bit horrible, and the end of episode 11 made me cry :p

Some interesting animation and music cues. The OP is fitting, and the main ED has gone from being funny because of the singing to being pretty sad in the end.

I liked this show, so 4/5 shattered Tomokos:
k9lLuUu.png
k9lLuUu.png
k9lLuUu.png
k9lLuUu.png
HCA1zHZ.png

My only gripe about this show, which isnt much of one, is that Tomoko never really changes. Shes just as hopeless at the end as the beginning. But its a comedy and I didnt expect her to, so its alright.

Sentai has licensed The Familiar of Zero: Knight of Two Moons.

Cool. I must admit I wasnt really sold on Louise as a character, although she is very cute, because Im not a Rie Kugimiya fan, but she is growing on me. I was burned pretty badly by Shana and her urusai bullshit and it literall soured my view of Kugilolis for a long time. but Taiga and toradora warmed my heart again somewhat. From what I hear Louise kind of settle down and becomes more dere over time and less like I want to punch her cute self through a wall.

Galaxy angel's approach worked the best for it. That wouldnt work well as a serious drama of any sort. As bite sized comedy its gold.
How did Sabagebu differ?
GA approach of teh game could have worked as an anime if they decided to make it a normal space drama. There nothing wrong with the plot of the games. It could have worked as a straight adaptation , they just choose not to.

Sabagebu manga seems to be more serious , less joking with various character having different personnalities , this is especially true of the heroine.

what the fuck

It's nothing special, in the novels it was a worst "rumours".

PaniPoni Dash 24

God damn it, I've been had. It fucking lied to me.

EDIT: Ichijou being a detenation buton for Square Enix and Himeko blowing it up redeemed the betrayal

Ventara

No Game No Life Episode 4

So things proceeded as expected. Sora (along with Shiro) won the chess game, became King, and now will look to beat the other 15 races, which will earn them a chance to face The Game God. Don't think that'll happen this season since there's only 12 episodes. Anyways, Sora plays a bit of economics and shows us how stupid the humans in this game world are, and his coronation speech was kinda uninspirational, what with constantly calling humans weak, but whatever, the crowd cheered anyways. Oh and we get another
Phoenix Wright
reference, which was the highlight of the show.

Also, Sora totally does not seem like the NEET type, and his eyes constantly glow red every time he says something cool (they should tone that down, lol). Not expecting it, but would be interesting to hear his backstory.

No Game No Life Episode 4

So things proceeded as expected. Sora (along with Shiro) won the chess game, became King, and now will look to beat the other 15 races, which will earn them a chance to face The Game God. Don't think that'll happen this season since there's only 12 episodes. Anyways, Sora plays a bit of economics and shows us how stupid the humans in this game world are, and his coronation speech was kinda uninspirational, what with constantly calling humans weak, but whatever, the crowd cheered anyways. Oh and we get another
Phoenix Wright
reference, which was the highlight of the show.

Also, Sora totally does not seem like the NEET type, and his eyes constantly glow red every time he says something cool (they should tone that down, lol). Not expecting it, but would be interesting to hear his backstory.
I think the exact opposite of sora speech.
He was giving everyone a big slap telling them to wake up , since they were back on the wall . You don't do that with empty promise and hope but by showing conviction. And he did that by basicly saying that ( ironicaly ) giving them a promise ..that they could rise again to their old status , before the war.
It was IMO , carefull presented because everyone knows that humans are the only ones that can't magic, telling them "it's ok , we can do something else instead" works much better.

PaniPoni Dash 24

God damn it, I've been had. It fucking lied to me.

EDIT: Ichijou being a detenation buton for Square Enix and Himeko blowing it up redeemed the betrayal

I don't even know how the hell they were allowed to make this scene , lol

Twin-Tails - 4

Ahahahahahaha that visual novel scene with the villains, oh man.

In this episode, they expand upon the backstory for Twoearle, spouting some madness about how the love of Twin-Tails overtook her world, or something like that, causing her to let go of her love for Twin-Tails, etc. Now, here's where my main problem with this show lies.

It's so freaking strange how seriously this show takes itself with such a ridiculous premise. Like, I know that's obviously the appeal and wherein most of the comedy aspect is. But I have to say though, while the show is entertaining with its humour, it's not that...engaging.

Samurai Flamenco, despite its madness, WAS engaging. Because there, you could argue that the overall theme was "being a hero". It was something general and plausible to juxtapose with all the
supervillains, crazy prime ministers, and aliens that he constantly fought.
It was still able to have a sense of focus in common everyday stuff that people could relate to.

In this show, it's all about the Twin-Tails! Twin-Tails are power! Twin-Tails give you strength! As long as you love Twin-Tails, you can do anything!

It's just crazy chaos mixed with MORE crazy chaos! Which, I understand is where the fun comes from for the most part. But when I see the characters talking about this kind of stuff like its an actual serious thing, I can't help but wonder how it's going to keep this up.

Bottom line, the show's pretty enjoyable so far. But I don't see it being able to capture that same novelty Samurai Flamenco had.

cajunator

Banned

Done!

Inou Battle - 07

Uhhh.. why Hatoko.. everything I don't want this show to be, stupid drama that goes on for way too long (2 min warning). Credit to the VA though.

So awesome. Best girl laid down the law!

hatoko proving she's best girl just like i called from the first ep

I called it first! Back when the art was unveiled :D

Space Dandy Season 1 releasing 2/17
http://www.funimation.com/blog/2014...nt=Space_Dandy_Season_1_Blog&utm_nooverride=1

Funimation Store Exclusive:

Amazon Exclusive:

There is also a regular limited edition

Hmmm. Not sold on either. Might be the first time I will opt out of an LE. I dont want a hat that says boobies (I already have a Kiddy Grade hat) and the extras look meh. Not to mention no artbook. NO FUCKING ARTBOOK WHAT>?

Well, that's FUNimation for you.

Not always. Tsukuyomi Moonphase had a gorgeous release with a ton of art postcards and a little binder and some great packaging they can achieve it. That was like ten years ago though.

Space Dandy 6&7

Episode 6 was alright, a little boring. Seven was better, the way dandy races, or propels himself, is hilarious. I'm also loving his logic "Somtimes, a man's got to do what a mans got to do..."

Also, gotta love this scene
Show is pretty good so far.

Ventara

No Game No Life Episode 5

So not much happens this episode plot-wise, but it was still nice, though again we are shown how stupid the humans (or maybe it's just Steph?) in the game world are. For a world where games are everything, you'd think they'd focus more on understanding these game mechanics better. Anyways, Steph loses a bunch of times to Sora and Shiro, has to dress like a dog and give up her clothes. And Shiro wears the bra and panties on her head as a sign of dominance(?), lol. So Steph learns there's a lot more to games than chance and luck, and we also find out she isn't a total idiot when it comes to maintaining the country. She's still just a Steph, though, lol.

Anywho, we find out there's a race of animal girls somewhere (I hope that shows up this season), and apparently, there's a Flugel (another race) who spends their time in the library ever since they won it from the former King in a game (really, the former King is an idiot), and Sora is off to challenge him/her (probably gonna be a cute girl). Edit: Oh wait, there was a bit after the ED, and yep, it's a cute girl. Really, when is it not?

Oh, and this show does references well, and I kinda like the ED song.

I think the exact opposite of sora speech.
He was giving everyone a big slap telling them to wake up , since they were back on the wall . You don't do that with empty promise and hope but by showing conviction. And he did that by basicly saying that ( ironicaly ) giving them a promise ..that they could rise again to their old status , before the war.
It was IMO , carefull presented because everyone knows that humans are the only ones that can't magic, telling them "it's ok , we can do something else instead" works much better.

Oh, I got that, but he definitely could've worded it better, like how humans can adapt or whatnot. The way he put it was pretty stupid, calling humans cowards and weak.

cajunator

Banned

Oh my. Adorable!

Oh man! I have never seen that kind of thing in a harem anime before.

Seriously, I can't remember a time when a harem protagonist got straight up told. At least not like that!

Gotta give credit to the VA. There was some serious effort put into that.

I cant think of another example either, although Inou battle isnt quite a harem anime in the traditional sense. But man its fun watching Hatoko verbally punch him in the face with reality. And adorable. So best.

Genshiken: Second Season - 01

....I have absolutely no idea what I just watched, in both a good way and a bad way. In the bad way, the pacing in this was too fast for me to really grasp anything. In the good way, it's fun in it's over exaggeration of some of it's cast.

You will learn to love Hato. My second favorite Genshiken character next to Ohno.

GA approach of teh game could have worked as an anime if they decided to make it a normal space drama. There nothing wrong with the plot of the games. It could have worked as a straight adaptation , they just choose not to.

Sabagebu manga seems to be more serious , less joking with various character having different personnalities , this is especially true of the heroine.

It's nothing special, in the novels it was a worst "rumours".

I would say both shows greatly benefited from the changes.

No Game No Life Episode 5

So not much happens this episode plot-wise, but it was still nice, though again we are shown how stupid the humans (or maybe it's just Steph?) in the game world are. For a world where games are everything, you'd think they'd focus more on understanding these game mechanics better. Anyways, Steph loses a bunch of times to Sora and Shiro, has to dress like a dog and give up her clothes. And Shiro wears the bra and panties on her head as a sign of dominance(?), lol. So Steph learns there's a lot more to games than chance and luck, and we also find out she isn't a total idiot when it comes to maintaining the country. She's still just a Steph, though, lol.

Anywho, we find out there's a race of animal girls somewhere (I hope that shows up this season), and apparently, there's a Flugel (another race) who spends their time in the library ever since they won it from the former King in a game (really, the former King is an idiot), and Sora is off to challenge him/her (probably gonna be a cute girl). Edit: Oh wait, there was a bit after the ED, and yep, it's a cute girl. Really, when is it not?

Oh, and this show does references well, and I kinda like the ED song.

Oh, I got that, but he definitely could've worded it better, like how humans can adapt or whatnot. The way he put it was pretty stupid, calling humans cowards and weak.

BEST GIRL ARRIVES!!

PaniPoni Dash 25

more fucking robots and little brother flavored soda. Fucking Ichijou festival nearly killed everyone because Ichijou is too dangerously awesome for this show.

Branduil

Reminder that everyone who liked the chuuni guy in Trigger's show getting told should watch Aura: Maryuuinkouga Saigo no Tatakai, the one actual good chuunibyou story in existence. Featuring everyone's favorite overexposed seiyuu HanaKana and a Michiru Oshima OST.

cajunator

Banned
Reminder that everyone who liked the chuuni guy in Trigger's show getting told should watch Aura: Maryuuinkouga Saigo no Tatakai, the one actual good chuunibyou story in existence. Featuring everyone's favorite overexposed seiyuu HanaKana and a Michiru Oshima OST.

This show had a short haired cutie in it I think,. I cant recall anything actually about it.

Syrinx

Code Geass 24

That's an odd time to switch to a new OP.

So Suzaku learned from that kid what really happened which I should have figured out for myself, frankly. But who the hell is this kid, aside from looking like C.C., being named V.V. and thus related to her in some way (probably from that same thing the Britannians were conducting with C.C.), knowing about Geass, and being a stupid kid, and more importantly, why the hell is he showing up now, besides of course this being a very convenient time to do so?

Viletta gets her memory back. They kinda screwed the pooch with her; every development she's made just reeks of her being a complete inconvenience to the plot. So they made her lose her memory since if she knew Lelouch was Zero, things would be broken, and then she spent god-knows-how-long being Ohgi's waifu instead of doing anything relevant, and now she's back, not to much effect at all. At least until Ohgi dies, which I doubt he will.

How the hell's the student council going to help Suzaku? Was Nunally referring to that knightmare Nina built? She couldn't have known about that. So what can they do? What would they do, seeing as how Shirley knows Lelouch is Zero (if this show is going to do absolutely anything with that, now's the time) and thus wouldn't hurt him?

fertygo

Inou Battle - 07

God, the MC is mighty douche lord, maybe the biggest one that I seen in animu.. hella achievement considering the medium.. just fucking deserved he got TOLD like that

10/10

And drop the show for good, and please be careful with spoiler for next week eps guys.. because I'm so not looking forward watching/hearing the MC being justified next week for being shitty, ugh..

Mushishi 09

You are on an overpass and a train is about to pass under you. You see several people tied to the track about to be hit by the oncoming train. You notice a man on the overpass large enough that if he were to fall on the tracks he would stop the train before it reaches those tied to the track. Do you push the man on to the tracks to save the many or let the many meet their fate?

Mushishi 09

You are on an overpass and a train is about to pass under you. You see several people tied to the track about to be hit by the oncoming train. You notice a man on the overpass large enough that if he were to fall on the tracks he would stop the train before it reaches those tied to the track. Do you push the man on to the tracks to save the many or let the many meet their fate?

Is that a question from the show or something you just thought up? How is that show so far? I need to watch it, I have heard too many good things to pass it up. That and Monster.

Jintor

Is that a question from the show or something you just thought up? How is that show so far? I need to watch it, I have heard too many good things to pass it up. That and Monster.

It reminds me of a common thought experiment, though it's not quite the same (you'd have to be pretty damn big to stop a speeding train with your corpse)

It is a really stupid question brought up when discussing utilitarianism which is the main focus of this episode. Mushishi is very good from what I've seen so far.

cajunator

Banned
based floppy ear steph

She is #3

It reminds me of a common thought experiment, though it's not quite the same (you'd have to be pretty damn big to stop a speeding train with your corpse)

One of our trucks got nailed by a train because the driver wasnt paying attention. Luckily he got out in time. Theres no corpse that would stop one. It cuts through almost anything at speed.

Lol. I'm dying here, because it's true and for w/e reason the thought didn't cross my mind and now I realize how silly the question is.

It is a really stupid question brought up when discussing utilitarianism which is the main focus of this episode. Mushishi is very good from what I've seen so far.

Question is easy regardless, I would push the dude and justify my action by assuming he was the one who tied them up.

Yeah, I have been hearing so many great things, I should really jump on the show asap.

PaniPoniDash 26 END

And to end everything, we get a pool episode, filled with fanservice shots because SHAFT knew what we wanted in 2004, and possibly into the future.

I would also consider this worthwhile garbage. As in it's worth a watch. It may not be considered as legit good on the likes of say.... Mushishi, but it's still good in terms of consumable anime. My pleasure anime. My pizza anime.

But I guess with this out of the way, I must move onto my next animes.

Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei and Ninja Nonsense.

cajunator

Banned
PaniPoniDash 26 END

And to end everything, we get a pool episode, filled with fanservice shots because SHAFT knew what we wanted in 2004, and possibly into the future.

I would also consider this worthwhile garbage. As in it's worth a watch. It may not be considered as legit good on the likes of say.... Mushishi, but it's still good in terms of consumable anime. My pleasure anime. My pizza anime.

But I guess with this out of the way, I must move onto my next animes.

Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei and Ninja Nonsense.

AHahahahha YESSSS

Norio Wakomotoooooooooooo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom