• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorvoSol

Fate/Zero 1

Okay, okay, okay, where do I start? Basically, I really didn't enjoy this first episode. I understand this episode is atypical, and I'm not going to write the whole series off because of it, but this wasn't a good way to start a show. And not because it lasted 47 minutes, and not just because it was 47 minutes of words words words. The real problem is that it was both of those things plus jumping between four different story lines. And by four different story lines I mean it was also jumping back and forth in time, and frankly, dumb as I am, I got lost numerous times.

I caught the gist, but this episode was dense, slow, and hard to follow despite that. And by slow I mean wow. Just a lot of standing around doing nothing but talking about other people and laying out a web of families and conspiracies that I'm sure were all very, very important.

The final straw, inasmuch as I'm comfortable using this term to describe the first episode of a highly recommended show, was the unhappy revelation that King Arthur was a fucking girl. And I mean, yay creativity, I guess, but no, King Arthur is a girl. Maybe this doesn't upset other people as much as it does me, and that's fine, but King Arthur is a fucking girl. I mean hey, I guess that's a step up from Nobunaga the Fool's bullshit floating orb of whatever being King Arthur, but can I just once have a fucking Anglo badass ready to repel some goddamn Saxons, wearing their beards for a belt?

Anyway, let's move on from personal grievances to what I think the episode did right.

Every main dude was established, his motivations made clear, and the heroes are all fairly compelling dudes. Which is an impressive feat considering two of them had 0 facial expressions. The world was illustrated, so I've got an idea of it, and the tournament has been set up well enough, I suppose. I've heard the show has some great fights to look forward to, and I'm excited for that. I've also been told that the whole web of families gets clearer as the show goes on, so I'm letting myself cool my jets on that.

But Arthur's already shit tier on the Guy's I'm Rooting For list.

Fate/Zero 1

Okay, okay, okay, where do I start? Basically, I really didn't enjoy this first episode. I understand this episode is atypical, and I'm not going to write the whole series off because of it, but this wasn't a good way to start a show. And not because it lasted 47 minutes, and not just because it was 47 minutes of words words words. The real problem is that it was both of those things plus jumping between four different story lines. And by four different story lines I mean it was also jumping back and forth in time, and frankly, dumb as I am, I got lost numerous times.

I caught the gist, but this episode was dense, slow, and hard to follow despite that. And by slow I mean wow. Just a lot of standing around doing nothing but talking about other people and laying out a web of families and conspiracies that I'm sure were all very, very important.

The final straw, inasmuch as I'm comfortable using this term to describe the first episode of a highly recommended show, was the unhappy revelation that King Arthur was a fucking girl. And I mean, yay creativity, I guess, but no, King Arthur is a girl. Maybe this doesn't upset other people as much as it does me, and that's fine, but King Arthur is a fucking girl. I mean hey, I guess that's a step up from Nobunaga the Fool's bullshit floating orb of whatever being King Arthur, but can I just once have a fucking Anglo badass ready to repel some goddamn Saxons, wearing their beards for a belt?

Anyway, let's move on from personal grievances to what I think the episode did right.

Every main dude was established, his motivations made clear, and the heroes are all fairly compelling dudes. Which is an impressive feat considering two of them had 0 facial expressions. The world was illustrated, so I've got an idea of it, and the tournament has been set up well enough, I suppose. I've heard the show has some great fights to look forward to, and I'm excited for that. I've also been told that the whole web of families gets clearer as the show goes on, so I'm letting myself cool my jets on that.

But Arthur's already shit tier on the Guy's I'm Rooting For list.

I want to see your impression on Rider because after all he's the best servant.

jman2050

No Game No Life Episode 9

I'll be honest; I didn't quite get what was really going on. Felt a little too overly complicated. Sora could've chosen a simpler game and still have the same end result. But whatever, we get +2 waifus to his harem and one of them is an elf. I hope the game with the warbeasts starts next episode and isn't half as confusing.

IIRC, the whole point was that Sora needs absolute unequivocal trust from Kurami and the only way he figured to do so was to give up his memories to her and convince her that his intentions were genuine. This is why he was obviously losing on purpose.

Of course for obvious reasons he could never allow himself to actually lose the game outright so he provided an out for Shiro to finish the game in his place and had to trust that she would follow through.

I know that feel bro

Cross Ange 7

Sunrise clearly wanted to make a yuri hentai series about girls who fight dragons in mechs then go back to base to have crazy sex, only instead they were forced to have this plot about a magic continent and norma planning a revolt against magic people. I'd be very interested in seeing the original concept plans of Cross Ange back when it was an h series, for scientific reasons.

I can't tell if it wants to be the edgiest High School Comedy or the tamest Women in Prision exploitation show.

cajunator

Banned
Rider's cool and all but the best servant is clearly Caster :)

Well shes not bad!
fMvErDz.jpg

Thoraxes

Its only the first 13 episodes right?
Anyway LET US CELEBRATE TWGOK 3 BEAR
Ive had S1 and 2 for a while. Time to complete the trifecta of cuties.
FUCK YEAH.
Sentai Releases for March

Devils and Realists- DVD and Bluray
Gingitsune- DVD and Bluray
Outbreak Company- DVD and Bluray (Dub)
Place to Place (Acchi Kocchi)- Bluray
Student Council's Discretion- DVD and Bluray
Familiar of Zero Season 2- DVD and Bluray
The World God Only Knows: Goddesses - DVD and Bluray (Dub)

It's up on RS already
DOUBLE FUCK YEAH.
yeah Funimation said it's coming out in February.

TRIPLE FUCK YEAH.

They put Ikki Tousen on Netflix for some reason.

Trying to create hype for the next series? :p

I remember reading about the DVD getting silently reissued a couple years back so I'm assuming the extra DVD in this is that which implies the literal track has been gone for a while (a really, really long while.) . Any chance its a rights issue with Miramax and Disney would have had to license that subtitle script to include in their current NA releases and just opted not to?

Hm... Strange.

Thoraxes

Noooooo how do you get stuff so early?!
They still havent shipped the latest monogatari or Log Horizon ._.

Maybe they just love me, idk. I put every single thing I buy from them in a separate order though, to ensure I get it the fastest and that no other items can hold up the others. It's rare that I spend less than $50 on an order too, so I never have to worry about shipping costs.

Surprised you didn't get Log Horizon or Ototrimonogatari yet either; I've had them both for a few weeks now >.>

Nisekoi should be shipping tomorrow morning too!

cajunator

Banned
Maybe they just love me, idk. I put every single thing I buy from them in a separate order though, to ensure I get it the fastest and that no other items can hold up the others. It's rare that I spend less than $50 on an order too, so I never have to worry about shipping costs.

Surprised you didn't get Log Horizon or Ototrimonogatari yet either; I've had them both for a few weeks now >.>

Nisekoi should be shipping tomorrow morning too!

I just checked my orders it looks like Nisekoi is holding it up (remember I dont get fast free shipping so I have to group)
Once thats in the floodgates open!

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Gundam Build Fighters Episode 7:

Yes, this was by far the best episode of the second series here and the first that really shows flashes of brilliance on par with the first season.
Not really sure why they felt the need to job out Team Free! so hard and while it was a neat gag I can't help but feel that they wasted a perfectly good rival team
Anyway, this episode was asking some tough questions on the nature of Gunpla fight and had a lot more emotional content and chracter growth then we have seen in most of the fights. Also, this was one of the best Gunpla fights, not coincidentally as Sekai was forced to trade his John Cena moveset for a Ric Flair moveset and psychology now that I think about. I will dock the battle points for basically ignoring the team gimmick because that is what these battles are supposed to be about. Anyway, I was thoughtfully delighted and I am hoping this means the series is going to turn the corner.

jgminto

Gundam Build Fighters Try 7
iLpbNnY4HpYE0.png

So this is what it looks like when you want to create a conflict of interest for the characters with as little effort possible. The team has absolutely no connection with the fighter or his brother before this point but we're supposed to believe that eliminating him from the competition is a heavy moral quandary for them. But Little Timmy wants to see his big bro hit a home run and score a touchdown so he can miraculously be cured of his illness through victory. Because that's how getting better works. Obviously this scenario has been done hundreds of times already but this might actually be the worst example of it I've seen. It feels like it passes the point of an overused trope into insulting the intelligence of the viewer. This might have been acceptable if there was actually a relationship or strong rivalry between Team Try and Shimon and his brother prior to this but instead of that we get...
inse3QnixUmfG.png

The fight between Sekai and Shimon was entertaining once it got down to the two of them. The use of martial art techniques works really well in this kind of one on one equally matched scenario. But when using a horrible conceit to eliminate the four other combatants is the only way to create a fight that comes close to the first season in terms of excitement, it severely cheapens the main concept of team based combat.

duckroll

What, WHAT?! There is going to be a Blame! anime, for real!?

Woah, that's exciting, the manga was incredible. Such a weird and surreal voyage, hope it can make justice to the environments.

No, it doesn't seem like there's going to be a Blame! anime "for real". Maybe there is, maybe there isn't. What they're announcing here appears to be some of Blame! being animated as a in-universe anime which appears in episode 8 of Sidonia season 2. It's a really odd announcement. Maybe they are making an anime for it and they're using Sidonia to cross-promote it before they start? Dunno.

Midonin

Gundam Build Fighters Try 07

Fun episode, and the final battle did carry some emotional weight to it... but next week is a Kaoruko episode. I'm excited for that one.

CDiggity

Being newbie animator is really poor

Wow...this graph is depressing. If we are going by current exchange rates ($1 = ~116 yen), then Ema is making less than 10k a year. And one high quality seiyuu makes more than the rest combined.

What this chart doesn't show is Tarou salami slicing everyones wages and making $1M/year.

GBF Try 7

Ignoring the anime team once again conspiring against any team that I like by having them be defeated badly, it was a great episode.

Destiny Gundam is the best suit this season thus far, though thats probably by seed bias.

I actually found time to post. Holy Crap!!!

Parasyte 3-6

This show has been awesome. Love the wub-wub during action scenes.

While I saw the
mother death
coming from a mile away it still shocked me and upset me which means they did the scene right. Easily one of the animes I am most enjoying this season.

Fate/Stay Night -Unlimited Blade Works- 3-6

Dat animation budget.

I am still enjoying this but the fights still feel few and far between. I know Fate/Zero fights hadn't picked up at this point yet either but it would be cool to see two servants really go at it for more than 5 minutes. And that tsundere...

Joe Molotov

Suite Precure♪ 12 - 21

I wasn't really feeling Suite for the first few episodes, but it's growing on me, especially now that the Best Cure has arrived, Cure Beat.

Not really that excited about the prospect of the bratty kid eventually joining the team, but Siren is da gawdess.

Midonin

Encouragement of Climb S2 19

Spending this time having fun before the Tanigawa climb is okay with me. I like these characters, so any time spent time with them is going to be fun. In this case, Aoi conquers her homework. Her crazy dream was probably my favorite part of the episode - I love animation like that. Seeing her meet Yuka was cute, too. Hinata enthusing about Shirahama made me look up the Adventure World park. It looks like a fairly regular amusement park, but damn if this show isn't doing a fine job of making me want to tour places in Japan other than Akihabara.

Yu-Gi-Oh! Arc-V Episode 32

Wow most intense duel of the maiami duel cup thus far. So many effects and stunning action cards. Then the Pendulum summons. It was amazing.

Sora finally! I expect to be awesome, my des toy scissors bear, I cant wait! Its on Odd Eyes Pendulum Dragon level.

Gundam Build Fighters Try 7

This is now entering "skip everything but the battles" territory. My god, the writing in this is so clumsy and inept. I'd even take a grimdark Gundam political story over this.

Midonin

Librarian 07

I expect Kakei can become the kind of person who can find a loophole in the Shepherd system. Having it in the story has introduced some new wrinkles, though I do have to wonder about all the possible variables that could go from rejection to creating a sex doll based on the girl you never ended up with. Surely there'd be more than one turning point on that choice tree. So both Tsugumi and Nagi have had their flags raised - as did everyone else. Fun episode.

Book of Bantorra 10-12

The ants/mother arc was tragic and uplifting at the same time, and damn, Ireia is not a lady you want to trifle with. Just like with Noloty's story, I'm noticing that the arcs keep blending into each other in a way where it's not as easy to place the end of one LN and the beginning of another as I thought. Hamyut's backstory drew to light just how weird she is, even compared to the other members of the Library. Bit of a masochist, too. I'm not sure what's going on with her there. The show's doing a good job at keeping me intrigued, spacing out these little downtime moments in between the big setpieces.

e_i

Little Busters! 08

Huh. They actually found somebody that's good at baseball.

Kud needs help with both moving more boxes and finding a roommate though. Er... And what's an RA?

Residental Assistant. They are there to provide help and be a keeper of the peace in a dormitory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom