• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enron

Banned
God damn even with my penny annie job I'm doing better than half of them.

This is why all anime is bad for you.

Yeah seriously. Average college student, fucked around for a couple of years, not a whole lot of ambition, 9 years into his average office job career and I destroy this chart except for the VA. I would have thought directors and exec producers made so much more than this.

CorvoSol

Gundam Build Fighters Try 7

I kinda think all the negative buzz I saw on Twitter was a bit extreme. I liked this episode just fine. I will make the following concessions, of course:

1) GBFT's treatment of Fumina is kinda shaky. She could be a much stronger lead, and her support Gundam could be doing better, but if the idea is that she, like Sei, has to grow into holding her own, then hey, maybe her being sort of a supporter at first is the point. I did like that her Winning Gundam forced Sekai and Yuuma to work together, and I loved the giant punch going on in that episode, too, because it was really Super Robot. The final point is I really don't know how I feel about her default spandex outfit.

2) The show still lacks the emotional punch of its predecessor, and it remains sort of hard to see it happening, but then again if you told me we'd all be feeling for Mao when he lost and cried his eyes out, I might have doubted you early on.

3) Shimon's plot line is incredibly by the books so far. The sick younger sibling is a really old idea.

Now let's get to what I liked. First, I thought that Snap-Fit-Shimon's whole reason for using basic kits being because those were the ones his brother had made for him was a great thing. The progress of the little kid toward wanting to build his own custom gunpla as a result was a good idea within the bounds of Build Fighters' universe.

Second, I really liked that the show gave the cast a moral hurdle to jump. Was it the best conceived one ever? No, but it was a good move on the show's part, and I admired that the episode stuck to its guns by making the characters react to it differently and struggle with it. I would've liked the fight to reflect that better for Yuuma and Fumina, but hey, I've seen worse.

Third, I enjoyed seeing the Water Team lose because their team was a really dumb idea.

Lastly, I thought it was a really solid match. It wasn't "OH SHIT SON DID YOU SEE THE GM K9 KAMPFER AMAZING THROWDOWN THIS WEEK?" But it was a solid match. At a time when CrossAnge is trying to starve me to death for Mecha Action, I really cannot complain when GBFT decides to indulge me in my much fantasized about Destiny vs Burning Gundam Shiny Finger throw down.

Try has yet to reach the august level of its predecessor, certainly, but I find it hard to hate on a show that is still such simple, easy fun for me.

Syrinx

Code Geass R2 4

lmao at Lelouch's internal monologue toward Rolo at the end. "I'll use you up and then throw you away like a ragged dust cloth!" Damn dude, Rolo sucks miserably but come on. That reminds me at how much Rolo sucks. Lol Rolo.

He pulled that whole thing off rather easily. In fact, as they pointed out, it's an old strategy he's used before. How didn't they prepare for that?

Clov

Aniplex also has that new Urobuchi movie, Expelled from Paradise. They're going to put it out into theaters, too. I'm interested in giving it a watch at least. Hope it comes to Canada.

Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei 2

So given that I've already saw the Deep Love segment, it looks like I finished this episode earlier than expected. So is it kind of like a Side A/B kind of show?

And apparently Sensei has quite the pick up lines for getting high school girls. I also genuinely remember saying that saying you'll die for someone was the number 1 way to get into pants. And it seems to be working.

fertygo

Gundam Build Fighters Try 7
*snips*

Yeah I like what they aim for this episode, but the idea to achieve it is really bad.. so its very easy to dislike the whole thing after it. That being said I think in the end its does the job well enough for me after I expected the worst after the initial kickstart for the episode, the resolution is very nice to see for the whole that involved.

Jintor

denkigai 04

Yeah I dunno, it's getting a bit too consumerist for me. Also not funny enough... Hmm... Might drop it

Zombie girl's one note gag is also getting progressively more irritating

However

Ero-hon g-man is hilarious

/edit okay everything to do with sommelier is amazing

Thoraxes

FYI Space Dandy Vol. 1, Nisekoi Vol. 2, and TTGL Parts 3-5 are up on TRSI now! Also Ben-To has a Feb 3rd release date! Thank fuck.

IDK if I want to order from Funi's store, so I may just go for the "standard" LE from Rightstuf because it's $42 and I just want glorious Dandy on BD.

Lucky! A snowstorm held up my order yesterday, I think. Here's hoping that it actually arrives today!

I hope so for you too!

TUSR

Banned
Looks to be 4 volumes. I know volume 1 is eps. 1-5, and volume 2 is eps. 6-10.

So yeah, 4 releases of 5 episodes each (Nisekoi was 20 episodes).

I don't expect them to sell out, so I think I'm going to hold out for a box set. And if nothing materializes from that I'll just get the BDs.

Thoraxes

I don't expect them to sell out, so I think I'm going to hold out for a box set. And if nothing materializes from that I'll just get the BDs.

It's Aniplex, so i'm not expecting much from them now anyways.

They seem to be going the piecemeal route for their new release direction with no indication of that changing. Nisekoi, KLK, the new TTGL release, Valvrave, and Monogatari S2 are in chunks. (Silver Spoon was season 1 and 2 separated, but released as complete seasons DVD-only).

But yeah, I don't expect them to sell out either. Their stuff is stocked for a long time.

Also, I want the cute art of each of the main girls that's going to be on each release. They're the same as the art for the JP BDs and they're all super cute.

Parasyte - the maxim - 07

Absolutely loved this episode from start to finish.I'm really enjoying Shinichi turn from A-typical self insert high school boy to parasite infected superman with a better personality. Was also great to see there are was infect another person out there in the same situation as him, though if you ask me his parasite is in a pretty awful place.

Mendrox

Parasyte - the maxim - 07

Absolutely loved this episode from start to finish.I'm really enjoying Shinichi turn from A-typical self insert high school boy to parasite infected superman with a better personality. Was also great to see there are was infect another person out there in the same situation as him, though if you ask me his parasite is in a pretty awful place.

Bueno.

duckroll

Chaika AB - Episode 7

More buildup. Feels like even less happened this week than last week. They're really padding the arc out, which makes little sense since they only have 10 episodes this season to wrap stuff up. I guess the finale is going to go faster than expected. At this rate ep6-8 are going to be a ton of time wasting, teasing, and slowass buildup leading to a 2 episode finale. At least Ando is storyboarding ep9, so hopefully BONES goes all out with the action animation. :p

---

I wonder what's the source for this chart. I can't seem to find it on the main website.

I think this is a Japanese fan chart. In the original Japanese chart, they do list the sourcing below each role. It's not the salary the characters in the show earn, but rather the average salary in Japan for that sort of person in that age-group based on existing public polling data from various sources.

Lain

Psycho-Pass 2 ep 6

They are doing pretty good with the greenhorn detective, because by now I just despise her. The moment she had that shitty thought about Akane she gained all my remaining dislike that she hadn't still gained from previous episodes and went from a big annoyance to watch to a fully disliked individual.
The enforcer dude is completely creepy, though the (supposed?) reason of his obsession with Akane didn't feel like much of a surprise.

Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works 6

Shirou is coming out as a a better guy in this compared to the old anime and that's something that makes me happy. I finished reading the F/SN manga not too long ago and there by the end he was a very cool and sorta badass dude, so it's nice to not see the fully weak and at points annoying person here, though he still has the kind of characterization that has him make some questionable calls. It's just too bad that the fights are delayed until the next episode, but I expect great things.

TheRancor

I think this is a Japanese fan chart. In the original Japanese chart, they do list the sourcing below each role. It's not the salary the characters in the show earn, but rather the average salary in Japan for that sort of person in that age-group based on existing public polling data from various sources.
Right, that makes sense.

jgminto

I should give Shirobako a shot but the art design for the female characters is so off putting. The male cast looks varied and mostly adult in appearance but the female cast look like high school students (and it seems like they're meant to be out of high school) with the strongest case of same face outside of an idol show.

cajunator

Banned
I should give Shirobako a shot but the art design for the female characters is so off putting. The male cast looks varied and mostly adult in appearance but the female cast look like high school students (and it seems like they're meant to be out of high school) with the strongest case of same face outside of an idol show.

Its the same style as TariTari and Hanasaku no Iroha almost.

Watched Millennium Actress yesterday, t'was very good.

The editing and transitions \o/

Also couldn't help but tear up
when it was revealed that the guy she was searching all her life was ultimately tortured to death. It was kinda reminiscent of 5cm/s as it felt like our MC threw her life away for a love interest she couldn't reach instead of moving on. That just makes me sad. Even though she's later on pointing out that she didn't necessarily love him but loved chasing/searching him. Considering that she never really seemed particularly happy (at least in the few 'normal' scenes we got of her) and was longing to see him, that statement felt like an attempt to feel better about her life retroactively. I think finding some catharsis in actually meeting him again properly would've done well for her, even if nothing were to come of it.

Let's see the number of times Aniplex of America has released a later box set:
Gurren Lagann movies (originally released on DVD per movie, later released as a BD set)
Durarara!! (originally released in DVD singles, released as a BD set)
Blue Exorcist (originally released in sub-only DVD singles, later released on BD/DVD box cour sets w/dub)
OreImo S1 (originally released in a DVD set, later had the BD-Box import)

Looks like the waiting for a box strategy has little effect. Just go ahead and get the BDs.

Its the same style as TariTari and Hanasaku no Iroha almost.
Hanasaku Iroha (no no):
Original character design: Mel Kishida
Anime character design: Kanami Sekiguchi

Tari Tari:
Original character design: Tanu

Shirobako:
Original character design: Bunbun⑧

Perhaps that may have something to do with it.

phaze

Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei 1

Behold, she was a reason why I wanted to watch this show. It's so simple, and yet very fucking appealing.

nocountryforshitposte34jxb.png

Chiru is the proper reason for watching the show. !

Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei 2

So given that I've already saw the Deep Love segment, it looks like I finished this episode earlier than expected. So is it kind of like a Side A/B kind of show?

And apparently Sensei has quite the pick up lines for getting high school girls. I also genuinely remember saying that saying you'll die for someone was the number 1 way to get into pants. And it seems to be working.

Assuming I understood this correctly - yes most or even all episodes consist of two or even three separate stories.

Naruto Shippuden 387

Kakashi missed the whole party and only came back to steal Naruto's and Sasqe's kill.
Thank God the talk no jutsu didn't work and they had to finish up their duel.
If Obito will turn now, I'll just chalk it up to to the regrets of a broken pile of dead meat.

They still felt the need to pad it out with extended flashbacks, Kakashi/Obito/Minato angst but even with subpar animation, it was decent enough episode. Yay for Kushina theme return.

cajunator

Banned
Watched Millennium Actress yesterday, t'was very good.

The editing and transitions \o/

Also couldn't help but tear up
when it was revealed that the guy she was searching all her life was ultimately tortured to death. It was kinda reminiscent of 5cm/s as it felt like our MC threw her life away for a love interest she couldn't reach instead of moving on. That just makes me sad. Even though she's later on pointing out that she didn't necessarily love him but loved chasing/searching him. Considering that she never really seemed particularly happy (at least in the few 'normal' scenes we got of her) and was longing to see him, that statement felt like an attempt to feel better about her life retroactively. I think finding some catharsis in actually meeting him again properly would've done well for her, even if nothing were to come of it.

The movie especially hits hard when you realize that
Genya was in love with Chiyoko and would have made a devoted husband to her if she had only noticed him. Ultimately Chiyoko never really found happiness.

The movie especially hits hard when you realize that
Genya was in love with Chiyoko and would have made a devoted husband to her if she had only noticed him. Ultimately Chiyoko never really found happiness.

Yeah exactly.
By not moving on from some 'unreasonable' pursuit you're likely to overlook other people that have taken interest in you and may have lead to a happy or at least happier life. Genya was reminiscent of Kanae's role in 5cm/s. Both were pretty much not even considered as a potential love interest by Chiyoko and Takaki respectively.

Midonin

Aikatsu! 109

Juri physically resembles Seira, but when it comes to characterization, they're quite different. Instead of rock, she's aiming to be an actress, and also has a flamenco/Spanish motif going on. I could easily take that in a Masayoshi-ish direction, but this is Aikatsu. It exists outside the realms of late-night anime, I'll enjoy it that way. Sumire is my favorite of the S3 crew, but Juri's making a pretty strong case for herself. Passion, acting, flamenco! I also want to see more of Hinaki. Aikatsu may not reach Cinderella girls numbers, but across all three seasons, it's coming close to matching or passing the original 765 girls. And I don't think we're done just yet.

fertygo

I beg to disagree. Yuki Yuna is indeed awesome and resembles Madoka quite a bit yes, but it's nothing like what I've heard goes down in WIXOSS.

Yuki Yuna isn't even about magical girl despair!
Not right now anyway.

I think he just ask about similar theme, Yuuki Yuna does doing its own thing but its safe to say they sharing same circle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom