• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firemind

The fuck is this madness?

1416768722005.png
Sakuga and seiyuu ain't cheap.
suckers

Frog-fu

Banned
Nagi no Asukara 1-13

I've been binging on this whenever I could since last night and I've been kicking myself for overlooking it when it was still airing. I only gave it a shot because it was recommend on MAL as being similar to Shinsekai yori, which I freaking loved, so that was all the endorsement I needed to get into this.

Not gonna lie, there are some problems with the plot and writing, and I don't think it's quite as strong as SSY, but I am really enjoying the hell out of it.

I'm writing this whilst recovering from my "holy shit!" reaction to episode 13.

Akame ga Kill - 21

Big time showdown! Esdeaths ability is overpowered as hell, but it was amusing seeing it in action. It's like a free kill card every 24 hours. What's more amazing is she developed it herself?
This should have been named Esdeath ga Kill. Akame? Who's that?

/XX/

Puella Magi Madoka Magica - 03

Really really like the designs. This witch looked like something from alice in wonderland twisted with disney chilling in candyland
Oh.. new ED.. how fitting
Inspired only by the best "Animes of Czechoslovakia", my friend:

■自己紹介をかねて、よくある質問をまとめてみました... - 劇団イヌカレー gekidan INU CURRY
https://ja-jp.facebook.com/inucurry/posts/1584095395152160

Leaving aside spotty English translations, the Facebook & Twitter accounts created very recently by GEKIDAN INU CURRY (formed by artists Ayumi Shiraishi and Yōsuke Anai) are of course worth a follow if you, as you say, liked their work for that episode!

Hunter x Hunter - 64

Go figure, the young girl is—you won't believe it—an old woman that alsohappens to be their master's master! Since this is anime I'll just be glad she isn't sexualized.

The power creep keeps making for pretty poor world building. When every second grunt they encounter is now some powerful Nen user then the Hunter exam at the beginning seems like a laughable joke at this point. And you know, that pretty much made you rich enough to never work again.

Or that battle arena tower with its floors. So you can easily get up to floor 200 without even knowing Nen, and the 190+ floors will already make you insanely rich. How does this not get taken advantage of?

It also just feels kinda off in general that Nen etc. isn't well known in the population at large when it seems to be relatively common. The world just doesn't seem especially cohesive and well thought out.

It also just feels kinda off in general that Nen etc. isn't well known in the population at large when it seems to be relatively common. The world just doesn't seem especially cohesive and well thought out.

I might be off, but I think you can only perceive Nen if you can use it or atleast do the aura thing.
It's still kind of a dumb explanation but the world building isnt a huge facet.

VRMN

Caught up with my weekend shows:

Amagi Brilliant Park 08
This show is so inconsistent, but when it's good, it's really good. This was one of the good weeks. Got to the premise quickly and kept iterating on the gag in a lot of clever ways. It's like the show has two writing staffs; the people behind Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai on the meh episodes and the people behind Fumoffu on the good ones. And it's unfortunately probably going to shift back closer to Chuu-2 in the last third of the series because they have a plot to sort out.

In Search of the Lost Future 08
I wish I could pinpoint what I do enjoy about this show. I have issues with the animation style, a few of the characters, and the overarching story, but there's something here with the mystery that gets me past those substantial issues. Not that the mystery is that mysterious at this point, but I'm at least looking forward to the revelations undoubtedly coming next week. I didn't have that much of an issue with Kaori's misunderstandings, because the core one made enough sense (and I think there was some truth to it, thus why Sou didn't answer immediately), but unbreakable fate is the root cause of it and that irks me a bit.

Unlimited Blade Works 07
It's been long enough since I've played the game that I've lost some of the finer points of the plot even if I remember the general beats of the story. Still, I got the distinct sense that ufotable is being a little too cute with the foreshadowing. Still, solid action in this episode, something the series has spaced out a little fewer and farther between than I would have liked.

Celestial Method 08
Can't say I didn't see this coming; they haven't even said it yet and it's obvious what's going to happen when Nonoka/Shione's wishes are fulfilled. Still, this has been an enjoyable ride after a somewhat shaky start. I thought for sure that this would turn rapidly into another "cute girls doing cute things" show, but it's had more substance (and drama) than I would have expected going in and that's a good thing.

Akame ga Kill 21
No, White Fox, repurposing the fight in the church from the manga here doesn't absolve you of your sins from largely skipping the last arc.
Well, at least we got a preview of the next manga chapter, with Mine's death, which was nicely handled here.
I'm still watching to see where they take things, but the prior three episodes largely torpedoed this for me. Not to the point of dropping, but I'm still pretty disappointed at how quickly this fell apart. Maybe the ending arc, entirely anime original at this point, will save things.

Akame Ga Kil 21

Literally fuck what the Akame ga Kill anime has become. I cannot even form the right words to say how wrong and fucked this anime is. Holy fucking shit I feel sorry for anyone following this tripe and not the manga.

I am going to ask mods make all discussion of this 'anime' a bannable offense.

Hunter x Hunter - 64

The power creep keeps making for pretty poor world building. When every second grunt they encounter is now some powerful Nen user then the Hunter exam at the beginning seems like a laughable joke at this point. And you know, that pretty much made you rich enough to never work again.

Or that battle arena tower with its floors. So you can easily get up to floor 200 without even knowing Nen, and the 190+ floors will already make you insanely rich. How does this not get taken advantage of?

taken advantage of.. how? Are you talking of nen users beating people without nen and turning into millionaires? They already are millionaires if they want to! They explained in the second? episode that you can sell your license for a fuckton of money, enough for a life of luxury.

So there's no torture.

There's no rape.

There's no mindbreak.

And there's no gore.

She managed to defeat the jobber.

Help rescue the guy.

Confess her love.

And get a kiss.

Honestly speaking, that's actually the best way that moment could've possibly happened.

Amagi Brilliant Park 8

fukc46y.jpg

Doujin bait so obvious no one would take it

Ehhhhh dunno if I'm feeling this series anymore.
I'm starting to get bothered by the numbers at the end being altered at seemingly random. But it's still better then amnesia melodrama which we haven't gotten to yet, surprisingly.
Since the next episode is about the fairy girls and they have been just background characters the whole time I guess I'll keep going.

Sword Art Online II 20

I am so mind numblingly bored. I don't think I can do it anymore. Frankly I'm amazed that I made it so far in this series but I also watched all of Mahouka so it's not like I don't have precedent for being a dumbass.

Akame ga Kill! 21

B-but Pinchi...
I only skipped around this episode, I think I'll just consider it dropped.

kinger256

Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

Disappointing.The initial premise looked fun, with Haruhi being a catalyst for crazy events and Kyon being the person to deal with all of it. But then the awful Melancholy episodes happened and the rest wasn't as good as I hoped for. It all came down to how much I didn't care for any of the characters. Kyon had his monologues which were too boring and too long. Haruhi's tenacious attitude didn't result to much except for her unamusing abuse of people. Nagato and Asahina both fit into their own boring archetypes, and Koizumi's entire existence in this series is to spout exposition. It didn't help that the character designs for the first season were atrocious. It improved a bit in the second season but it wasn't enough to have it not consistently bothered me throughout the series.

I'm pretty sure I would have dropped this series if it weren't for how the episodes were ordered achronologically. All the melancholy episodes were much more bearable due to the inclusion of less terrible episodes interwoven throughout it.

I watched episodes one, two, and eight, and skimmed through the rest of endless eight Reading the impressions on it, I thought it was a ploy by KyoAni to save on animation costs. Not sure if it thats the case but an interesting experiment nonetheless. If someone was marathoning this I could see the insanity of watching all them, but if they were watching it weekly as it came out, that might leave enough time for each episode to become less mundane.

Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya

This movie was great. Excellent direction and a fairly solid story that somehow manages to salvages the characters. Almost enough to make me care for them.

Is this worth watching Melancholy for? Kinda. Melancholy is not much worse than the average anime.

Pooya

cross ange 8

lol nice developments. I like where this is going,
it was all for her mom.
hahaha. I hope they don't come back but they probably will before the rebellion or whatever.

Mushishi - 13

The girl infected was basically in a coma to the guy 'responsible', and was clinging on for the chance that she might wake up. But in the end if you don't move on it's going to cost you.
Moral of the story: move the fuck on or
become a walking corpse for the next 20 years
It's started to wear on me that so many characters look very much alike. But that's the catch of introducing multiple new characters every episode I suppose.

Hunter x Hunter - 64

Go figure, the young girl is—you won't believe it—an old woman that alsohappens to be their master's master!

Since this is anime I'll just be glad she isn't sexualized.
Internet has you covered , however you need to look at the right places :)

It is taken advantaged off.

The hunter exam is made to select people with "talent" people that want adventure of more than personnal gain.
If you pass the exam yet want to sell your card , it's possible but your forfeit , all the advantages that comes with being an hunter. Greed alone only get you so far.

Same with the battle arena. many people are static in that tower , and the goal ( being a floor master ) give you a stable place, money , fame and the like.

Thing is : hunters are well know , but nen isn't . now the people you're seeing know nen already , that's just it. There is like no point of showing people that don't know nen when nen give you a really unfair advantage.

taken advantage of.. how? Are you talking of nen users beating people without nen and turning into millionaires? They already are millionaires if they want to! They explained in the second? episode that you can sell your license for a fuckton of money, enough for a life of luxury.

Almost all hunter become hunter so they can use the hunter association to help their personnal goals , so selling the license has no point for the hunters. I mean i wouldn't want an organisation full of greedy people , that's also the purpose of the hunter exam.

Akame Ga Kil 21

Literally fuck what the Akame ga Kill anime has become. I cannot even form the right words to say how wrong and fucked this anime is. Holy fucking shit I feel sorry for anyone following this tripe and not the manga.

I am going to ask mods make all discussion of this 'anime' a bannable offense.

Lol , i don't think i will watch the end of the anime but yeah from what i'm seeing , this is disapointing.

Well Gon pawned his for only ~100m Jennies and even if he could've gotten much more in an auction, he and Killua still made 900m just with the rise to floor 200 (and they never lost).

On top of that there seem to be a lot of Nen users that aren't hunters. So all of those could just easily make billions in that arena. Which...is kinda again the problem I have with this kind of number/power creep. At the beginning it's mentioned how much a Hunter license is worth and how grueling that exam is and then it turns out that it isn't really anything that special.

Anyways, the money is just one aspect that seems poorly thought out. The bigger problem is how even the lowest and stupidest grunts now happen to possess Nen capabilities and may be Hunters to boot. Especially when you consider that seemingly every one of those could destroy any number of 'normal' humans. I just have a hard time imagining society functioning well like that.

And really, the whole Phantom Spider arc kind of demonstrates that. But...it's like it doesn't even matter that the Top 10 Mafia bosses, huge numbers of the sub-bosses and lackeys got annihilated. They even fucking continued the auction as if nothing happened the two times beforehand (I mean people would find out quickly that their bosses aren't responding anymore, right)?

It seems like weak world building overall, whether I should really give much of a fuck about it is another question I suppose.

cajunator

Banned
Hmm may be hard to tell without elaborating which aspects you actually enjoyed so much about that show.

If you appreciated the world in that show and overall are looking for some great world building I could definitely recommend 'From the New World' (Shinsekai Yori). Deals with some similar topics as well.

I second this suggestion.

ohyou.jpg

The real Madoka start here:D

Listening to this cover of Catch you catch me by Hanatan make me happy <3

Great cover!

Well Gon pawned his for only ~100m Jennies and even if he could've gotten much more in an auction, he and Killua still made 900m just with the rise to floor 200 (and they never lost).

On top of that there seem to be a lot of Nen users that aren't hunters. So all of those could just easily make billions in that arena. Which...is kinda again the problem I have with this kind of number/power creep. At the beginning it's mentioned how much a Hunter license is worth and how grueling that exam is and then it turns out that it isn't really anything that special.

Anyways, the money is just one aspect that seems poorly thought out. The bigger problem is how even the lowest and stupidest grunts now happen to possess Nen capabilities and may be Hunters to boot. Especially when you consider that seemingly every one of those could destroy any number of 'normal' humans. I just have a hard time imagining society functioning well like that.

And really, the whole Phantom Spider arc kind of demonstrates that. But...it's like it doesn't even matter that the Top 10 Mafia bosses, huge numbers of the sub-bosses and lackeys got annihilated. They even fucking continued the auction as if nothing happened the two times beforehand (I mean people would find out quickly that their bosses aren't responding anymore, right)?

It seems like weak world building overall, whether I should really give much of a fuck about it is another question I suppose.

No the hunter exam is special , it's hard and in most cases deadly ... it's just piss easy if you have nen.
Witch is the point since there is the second exam where you have to learn nen in order to keep your card.

Learning nen isn't done in one way, there are plenty of ways to ( natural hability , luck , trauma, experiments, curses ) Most of the mafia bosses were guarded by normal people , heck the reason the brigade was able to kill the mafia bosses were because they couldn't defend against nen. and the ones who could couldn't survive because the spider brigade is EXTRA OP ( more than normal , witch is the point of those characters)

And if you're at greed island, bear in mind that regular players are nen users ( it's a prerequisite ) even if they aren't hunters , it was after all a game for hunters , hence the insane difficulty to even get out properly.
What you're seeing aren't just regular characters you could meet anywhere , you're meeting more and more powerfull/op characters as times goes on.
It might give you a false impression about the world building but gon has stepped in a world where he just doesn't meet regular humans

cajunator

Banned
Log Horizon S2 E8

Akatsuki did her best Kirito impersonation and had to go faster and faster then got her super secret skill which only she can get to beat the bad guy, writers of Log Horizon are clearly ripping off the far superior writing of SAO what a bunch of

Dont insult Akatsuki in such a way!

I'm a huge Ufotable fan, and I haven't bothered watched Fate/Stay Night for 4 episodes now! :p

Chaika better! Shocking truth!

Childhood ruined

Terra Formars OVA - 02

Refreshing to see ones death not being mashed or sliced to pieces, but over dosage. Quite creepy seeing the person wholly transform into the creature it's based upon.
Also sheds some light on how the cockroaches obtained some 'old powers' and what I assume was that leader cockroach that Adolf fought.

VRMN

So there's no torture.

There's no rape.

There's no mindbreak.

And there's no gore.

She managed to defeat the jobber.

Help rescue the guy.

Confess her love.

And get a kiss.

Honestly speaking, that's actually the best way that moment could've possibly happened.
Yeah...she's incredibly unlikely to get off this easily in the manga.

Kokkuri-san 08

I'm pretty sure this episode was made specifically for a few people in this thread. The ending was great.
Nice how they inserted Kokkuri's female form in the OP.

Cross Ange 08

Is it dumb that they live in the magical future but can't fix someone from the royal family's legs? I think that's pretty dumb.
And is it really a good idea to let the slaves walk around with guns and knives freely? Especially when there's a fucking princess around? This is a really ramshackle operation right here.
It is very difficult to take any of these "serious" scenes seriously when everyone is in bikinis. When red head girl was leaving on her bike I half thought it was going to explode for no reason. Which would've been hilarious.
At least Rito Yamato is coming back next episode.

Space Dandy 9

Wow, that was by far the least interesting episode by far. Either that or Episode 7. Very colorful and I guess the design of the plants were pretty cool to look at, but an extremely uninteresting episode plot wise.

Grisaia - 08

When i saw the camera angle staying
on the car , i knew this would happen

So this arc is 2 episode because it serves both for the MC and the girl.. i can accept that

That kiss scene ? Felt really unnecessary

The sexual arrassement scene ? was magnificent

This ending ? Ahah lol cliffangers ...

Puella Magi Madoka Magica - 04

So the events that happened in latest the witch labyrinth is showing its effect in the 'real world', but the girls cant really explain to others what happened and the source of their sadness.
Ohh the music is soo good. Obligatory Shaft headtilt? &#9745;
The digimon cat is taking every chance he gets to push them to make a contract. What are you up to, do you get provision for every magic girl recruited or what?
We have lift off! Sayaka signed! And the wish used didn't come as a surprise. Probably not far until Madoka also signs. And who's this grumpy girl coming to replace dearest Mami? You can never fill her shoes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom