• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorvoSol

Wait what?

In Le Morte d'Arthur Arthur goes to Rome, chops off a giant's dick, defeats Emperor Lucius and is crowned Emperor of Rome.

The section is a heavily embellished version of Historia Regum Britanniae, where Arthur fights Lucius in Gaul instead of Rome. There are enough versions of Arthur that everybody except Fate Zero can be right about him, but Le Morte d'Arthur is the one I grew up on, so it sort of infects my biases.

It's an awesome version, 'cuz when the Roman envoys arrive in Britain and demand tribute from Arthur, he tells them Britain conquered Rome first, and demands they pay him tribute basically because he was bored as heck and wanted a war.

Gugure! Kokkuri-san 8

ihvjchyqsehwbrndci.gif

Worst show ever. How could they do this to me with that ending.

It's Nozaki-kun all over again. :(

Cross Ange 08

Ahh, the "school festival" episode. What really gets me about this show is how each ep is like combining Code Geass filler with Code Geass main plot. It makes it feel weird.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon R Episode 57:

Okay, this series has officially given up and decided that Ali and Ann are full fledged bumbling comedy villains. Outside of that, this episode did remind me of how much I hate Haruna Sakurada, living embodiment of the Christmas Cake trope and all around indeed virulently sexist character archetype. As far as the rest of the episode, even by the standards of this insipid arc, this was bloody pointless and boring. Strongest recommendation to avoid unless you have run out of NyQuil.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon R Episode 58:

Right, so since we have hit the penultimate episode of this arc we finally arrive back at the plot with the Makai Tree having some problems and Ali and Ann having to change up some tactics. Indeed this is the episode where shit gets real and everything falls into place. Also, Ali and Ann are developing humon emotions of some kind and are having problems dealing with it, which would have been an interesting plot point had it been introduced several episodes ago, as it is, it comes too little, too late for me to really care.Kind of feeds into how shitty the villains have been but more on that next week. Anyway, recommendation to watch since things kick into high gear at long last.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
The King of Braves: GaoGaiGar Episode 1

Ah yes, I have at last arrived at what many call the best of the Brave series, though I am sure that is a rather contentious title given the expanse of the series and I am interested if it can take the crown from personal favorite Brave Police J-Decker. Anyway, this one certainly starts out rather high octane, even more so then for a member of the Brave series. Not much context is being provided here, so many questions, but it seems like everybody is in the dark at this point. I can't say I am digging the artstyle of this title, it looks like somebody decided to fuse a 1990s anime with Astroboy and wasn't consistent about it.

HEROBANK Episode 34 – Searing Hot Revenge! Kaito vs. Ryuuga!!
B3NvPSiCAAAYK5T.png
B3NvYW8CYAAj87v.png

Poor Fukuta and any other victims of the buttjet of previous episodes.

Good episode thoughh
closed the only non bl pairing route fast for the main cast, then again since the staff was always on board for BL due to many previous scenes should have been expected. Why would she go after Taiga, lol

Shocking twists all around.

Sailor Moon R 12

Who cares about danger? As long as you can get pork-buns and cake everything is swell.

It's an heartwarming episode of Ail and An, and then the Sailor Guardians manages to figure it all out. Too bad Usagi doesn't believe it though :p

DraColle & Oreca Battle Episode 34

A dungeon just for Papi...well it was actually fun with Yuna treasure hunting. Makes me wish we had more treasure hunting anime.

I miss Tanken Driland.

Oreca was good for Chuchulain and Data. Plan is kind of clear though.

Akame Ga Kill! 21

wtfffffffffffffff
everyone's dying

I didn't really care for Mine in the series since her character was literally an asspull throughout the series, but that death was still sad.

But god damn it, Susanoo....

Necrovex

I really need to finish Gintama at some point. It's been on hold at Episode 13 for months now, I keep finding other things to watch and I forget about it!

I've been on hold on episode 23 for about a year now. I plan to continue watching it once I get to South Africa, and cry about having spotty wifi.

Blusby

Shingeki no Bahamut 07: This may as well be Pokemon with the demons being Team Rocket, and also Jeanne still the best.

#teamJeanne

phaze

Well Gon pawned his for only ~100m Jennies and even if he could've gotten much more in an auction, he and Killua still made 900m just with the rise to floor 200 (and they never lost).

On top of that there seem to be a lot of Nen users that aren't hunters. So all of those could just easily make billions in that arena. Which...is kinda again the problem I have with this kind of number/power creep. At the beginning it's mentioned how much a Hunter license is worth and how grueling that exam is and then it turns out that it isn't really anything that special.

Anyways, the money is just one aspect that seems poorly thought out. The bigger problem is how even the lowest and stupidest grunts now happen to possess Nen capabilities and may be Hunters to boot. Especially when you consider that seemingly every one of those could destroy any number of 'normal' humans. I just have a hard time imagining society functioning well like that.

And really, the whole Phantom Spider arc kind of demonstrates that. But...it's like it doesn't even matter that the Top 10 Mafia bosses, huge numbers of the sub-bosses and lackeys got annihilated. They even fucking continued the auction as if nothing happened the two times beforehand (I mean people would find out quickly that their bosses aren't responding anymore, right)?

It seems like weak world building overall, whether I should really give much of a fuck about it is another question I suppose.

-Agreed about the money thing, it doesn't make a lot of sense.
- As said earlier, by now Gon pretty much interacts only with the select few Nen users. I think there was even some test of Nen knowledge/ power before they let them enter the game ? So it's no wonder no Nenless schmucks are to be met there.

In general I agree about the shoddy world building. There's almost no mention of the political landscape of world or the impact the Nen users or the Hunter organisation have on it. After GA Togashi keeps conjuring things out of thin air to set up the story and to get it to where he wants it to end. Given your comments so far, I'm really curious what you will think of next arc. :p

@Legend of Korra
Finally caught up. Really pretty but ultimately forgettable and contrived ride.
They are never going to mention Zuko's mother again are they ? (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Bahamut - 07

Great episode. Some cool tidbits and great moments with Favaro and Kaisar. Wished they showed a bit more of the Tigerdemon (I thought he was some kind of baboon all this time) VS Jeanne fight though

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Fate/stay Kitchen

Lots of action, which should keep the oldschool crowd happy for a week, I suppose. Plotwise, its a weird episode, but I found it weird in the VN too, so I'm not sure what to say about that.

Extreme Ending Spoilers
I simply don't understand why Archer did not kill Shirou the moment he got there. Like, given Archer's goals, I don't understand why he was saving Shirou at all. It made no sense to me in the VN either.

Amagi Tiramie Park 6

Tiramie wins the episode again for his betrayal. Totally wacky episode, but still funny.

Amagi Tiramie Park 7

Tiramie being creepy as all fuck had me rolling. This dude needs his own series. I personally like this series quite a bit and think the lack of overrarching plotlines is completely forgivable so long as they get enough of the mascots' antics in.

Hunter x Hunter - Greed Island arc

Well, that arc was kind of a dud. For the most part I wasn't caring about any of the characters other than the Phantom Spider members and Hisoka. Gon and Killua were the same old same old and their training was particularly interesting. They're still alright characters so far but there was little to it this time around. Bisky...felt kinda cheap. Her entire role seemed a bit contrived and well, the age thing is still just so stupid. That said, she wasn't really annoying at least. I couldn't care less about Bomber, who never felt threatening, or the other side characters though. They just weren't interesting whatsoever.

The 'game' itself was, unfortunately as expected, rather bad. Just felt poorly thought out. I also don't really want to be bothered reading and memorizing several cards, though fortunately only few ended up mattering. But man, Ging is an awful game designer. For how this game was supposedly intended to avoid player killing, all the mechanics basically support it and make it one of the most effective ways to gain cards...as evidenced. Cards of a killed player vanish? Oh no. Ah wait, let's just torture or threat that person and there you go!

But 'tis cool Ging, only ~60 guys died to Bomber alone. Let's blame it on the playerbase not playing according to your expectations. Poor world building that, this time around, wasn't accompanied by interesting characters or plot.

Blusby

Fate/stay Kitchen

Lots of action, which should keep the oldschool crowd happy for a week, I suppose. Plotwise, its a weird episode, but I found it weird in the VN too, so I'm not sure what to say about that.

Extreme Ending Spoilers
I simply don't understand why Archer did not kill Shirou the moment he got there. Like, given Archer's goals, I don't understand why he was saving Shirou at all. It made no sense to me in the VN either.

Archer at the time was giving Shirou chances to turn away from the path he had chosen in life, when Shirou adamantly proclaims that he's gonna go after Caster Archer basically gives him a final warning via slash to show just how serious he is and well, Shirou just continued resisting.

Midonin

Inou Battle 08

I've been thinking about the speech from last week, and more importantly the fandom's reaction to it. How this is one of the few times when voice acting is acknowledged when it's been called the worst part of anime fandom. How from Hatoko's end, it was one not of malice, but of confusion. And how one part of it - how she was confused by him pretending be evil - was largely ignored when characters who actually are evil (or morally ambiguous) are unironically loved by the Western fandom. I think some of the fandom liked it because was confirmed their own ideologies, but I'm not entirely sure Hatoko was coming from the same place. Why was it assumed that she was saying what the show "really thinks" about chuuni when the show was otherwise poking light fun and sort of embracing the concept in the six episodes beforehand? Tomoyo being a light novel author - just as much of a meta-commentary - didn't get nearly the same response. If anything, she was really taking on more of an Ayase role, and even Ayase came to accept otaku culture with some degree of passion. It was Hayami, too. Picking apart this one speech and all the things around it made for an internal fandom study that's been going on in my head on and off for the past week.

But in the actual show, when all is said and done and Sayumi awakens to her Avengers Assemble power, all is made up, and Jurai does profusely apologize and admit he messed up. He does so in his own way, but the feeling behind it is genuine. I liked Tomoyo admitting to being a LN author, too. Her "I don't want to show anyone my book until I've completed it" mentality is exactly the same one I have, so I get where she's coming from.

And in another part of the show, it appears that, to some extent, there really is a magical war going on in the background, but on the macro level as it is on the micro, it's being done by characters solely for the purpose of amusement, and in a way that nobody actually gets hurt. Give humanity the keys to the kingdom, and half of the people will be wondering how they can use the king's resources to goof off. The power of entertainment has a great effect on the human mind, and that's something Japan is very familiar with.

Everything means something, and those meanings aren't always going to be as direct.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Archer at the time was giving Shirou chances to turn away from the path he had chosen in life, when Shirou adamantly proclaims that he's gonna go after Caster Archer basically gives him a final warning via slash to show just how serious he is and well, Shirou just continued resisting.

Heavy UBW ending and other Fate material spoilers continued:
It just seems weird he'd even bother sparing himself for any particular reason when it is literally his goal. Like he has no reason at all to "feel bad" about murdering himself. I guess the way you would handwave it is that he's been acting as a Counter Guardian so long as to not even see Shirou and EMIYA as the same. But I still think that he should have killed Shirou to begin with, what's the point in seeing if you can change his mind?

Full Metal Panic! - 8

Man, I love these kind of episodes in this show. Sousuke trying to act like a normal high-school kid will never stop being funny.

If this kind of stuff is what Fumoffu is all about, then I can't wait until I get to it.

Its basically all Fumoffu is about. Fumoffu is fucken ace.

Hunter x Hunter - Greed Island arc

Well, that arc was kind of a dud. For the most part I wasn't caring about any of the characters other than the Phantom Spider members and Hisoka. Gon and Killua were the same old same old and their training was particularly interesting. They're still alright characters so far but there was little to it this time around. Bisky...felt kinda cheap. Her entire role seemed a bit contrived and well, the age thing is still just so stupid. That said, she wasn't really annoying at least. I couldn't care less about Bomber, who never felt threatening, or the other side characters though. They just weren't interesting whatsoever.

The 'game' itself was, unfortunately as expected, rather bad. Just felt poorly thought out. I also don't really want to be bothered reading and memorizing several cards, though fortunately only few ended up mattering. But man, Ging is an awful game designer. For how this game was supposedly intended to avoid player killing, all the mechanics basically support it and make it one of the most effective ways to gain cards...as evidenced. Cards of a killed player vanish? Oh no. Ah wait, let's just torture or threat that person and there you go!

But 'tis cool Ging, only ~60 guys died to Bomber alone. Let's blame it on the playerbase not playing according to your expectations. Poor world building that, this time around, wasn't accompanied by interesting characters or plot.

This may be off subject but have you seen the anime of Gintama?

Greed island was in no way meant to avoid player killing , it was just part of the game. 8Gms with superpower don't raise an eyebrown then it's mean it's allowed.

Heck there was even some rules about killing ( and cards ) and none against.

Midonin

Book of Bantorra 19-27 + Final Thoughts

Pretty much directly from this point on, the plot picked up. I think it's interesting how Japan can produce a story where
a universe's Jesus figure is more or less the final villain
, and a story where the local Satan analogue is your hero. (Something like Tears to Tiara, for example.) The Cerulean Death arc was interesting, but my favorite part of it was Noloty's story.
Why did they have to kill her off? She was the best character.
The religious nature of the ending does parallel a few stories from our world nicely, and as cheesy as it is, a big
everyone returns from the dead to fight alongside each other
moment will always speak to the part of me that likes those sort of things.

Vexille
was the true villain in all this, since he made the absoloutely dickish move during the flashback that more or less ruined everything. I'm satisfied with the ending, and it ties into the first arc of the story nicely enough. Though on the gritty side of things, I'm ultimately satisfied with how this series was plotted. Everything fell into place, the themes were consistent, and the use of the book motif reinforced the themes. Noloty is still my favorite character.
Though Young Kitty, as played by Yukarin, was a nice surprise.

Started with the heaviest fare of the four book anime. The next one is going to be considerably lighter, and one of the first examples of an evergreen genre.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom