• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sorry Hunter x Hunter but some of your character design is seriously garbage tier. Most chimeras look hilariously bad.

To be fair when the original art looked like this (left was in shonen jump, right was in the fixed volume)

bOom9.jpg

It's understandable why some of the chimera ant's look hilariously bad

World Trigger 7

Toei gonna Toei but with the anime finally getting to the parts that originally drew me into World Trigger it's getting easier to recommend. Yes it still has lots of reaction faces and still images with moving mouths but the story and action did finally pick up and we start getting a glimpse of what combat will look like in the series going forward with trigger users fighting other trigger users.

Mature

Watamote 01

Wow.. just wow. So this is how it feels to be laughing and crying at the same time. It is a good comedy, but I felt like I will go to hell for laughing at this. A lot of things really hit close to home.
Don't worry, it eases up.

The unfinished HxH art is my favorite thing. It looks like they subbed me in for a chapter.

Firemind

Full Metal Panic! - 8

Man, I love these kind of episodes in this show. Sousuke trying to act like a normal high-school kid will never stop being funny.

If this kind of stuff is what Fumoffu is all about, then I can't wait until I get to it.

It wears thin after a while. I'm interested in what you have to say about the disparity between the first season and the spinoff series. Don't get me wrong; Fumoffu is funny (I believe the first part of episode five had some the funniest gags, moreso than the famous episode seven), but after a while I missed the arcs where he faced deranged terrorists. That's what makes Full Metal Panic such a unique series. Fumoffu and The Second Raid were off-kilter; Fumoffu was too lighthearted and The Second Raid too serious. KyoAni never managed to strike a good balance, which is why I want to see them take another shot at it. It's never meant to be though; it's been nine years since The Second Raid.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Fate Zero 5

1. Fuck Saber and everything about her. Let's just move on from the fact that they made Arthur a chick and instead look at how they've subsequently treated her. So allegedly she's supposed to be an ultra badass and like, the toughest of the Servants in the game, but somehow, she's had her ass handed to her by Lancer and then spends this entire episode utterly dependent on men to bail her out. Whether it be Lancer saving her from Berserker, Rider saving her from Lancer, or Kiritsugu trying to save her with a sniper rifle. And don't even get me started on her ridiculous "breast" plate and battle dress of utter stupidity. Didn't she spend her life masquerading as a man? Then why isn't she dressed in goddamn armor like a man?

Saber's portrayal is so completely not King Arthur that even in show people think she's fucking Joan of Arc, but I'm just gonna point out that even Joan of Arc should be pissed off at that, cuz Joan 1) Didn't wear dresses into battle like a goddamn Barbie and 2) Coulda held her own against a fucking prehistoric Irishman cosplaying FFVII's Zack Fair.

In short, there isn't anything good about Saber's character at all.

Moving right along, the GOOD stuff in this episode is no surprise to anybody: Rider. Dude shows up, invites everybody to the game, hams it up like the King he is, and knocks Berserker out of the fight with one damn blow. He's raucous, loud, and so, so good. When Professor Not-A-British-Name is sitting there pissing all over Milk Wafer, Rider does the kid a solid and points out that at least he had the balls to come into battle, rather than hide (simultaneously shaming every other dude, too.) He further disses Prof. WhoRemembersThatName by making the dude waste one of his three wishes or whatever, to boot.

The best part, though, is his proposal to everybody else, which is just: "Let's quit this stupid game and conquer the world, guys!"

Further proving she isn't fucking King Arthur, Saber turns him down, instead of being like "FUCK YES I LOVED IT WHEN I CONQUERED ROME."

Summary: Rider good, Saber shit.

I'll never understand why people like Rider so much. Jaded anime fans really love their Large Hams who chew up the scenery as often as possible.

The historical record suggests Joan of Arc was a 5'2" girl. No, she probably wouldn't have beat an experience spearman in a fight just sayin.

Hey, that turkey was immaculately drawn.

You gotta at least show the turkey for anyone who hasn't seen in man

Gundam Build Fighters Try 7

This season isn't as good as the original, but it's still very enjoyable. At times it feels like the the writing team did not want to do the 3 vs 3 format for this season but it was some executive decision from above so they continue to set up scenarios that allow for 1 on 1 battles like this week. This series is really lacking strong rival characters they keep setting them up only for them to be beaten or become irrelevant the same episode :\

Rage of Bahamut Genesis 7

Hard to know what to say about this without gushing over it. I'm glad we've finally got Favarro and Kaiser on the same page and they can work together now for the rest of the series. Going to assume Amira's father is gonna become the bad guy going forward with the current antagonist now dead. Interested in seeing what Jeane will do with Favarro and Kaiser next week.

Midonin

Sailor Moon R 11-12

The school episode was fun, if clearly done to save on budget, and it feels nice to be wrapping up the arc. It hasn't been terrible, and it's had some fun character moments. They really pushed the love triangle into overdrive there.

I'll never understand why people like Rider so much. Jaded anime fans really love their Large Hams who chew up the scenery as often as possible.

The historical record suggests Joan of Arc was a 5'2" girl. No, she probably wouldn't have beat an experience spearman in a fight just sayin.

I'm pretty sure we took any concept of historical accuracy out the window when we introduced the holy grail as the ultimate wish giving device, made Arthur a female, and had magic as a thing that existed though the ages. Having a Joan of Arc in the Fate/X universe who is Saber's height really wouldn't be that crazy.

Gundam Build Fighters 13

As funny as the whole baseball thing is, it went by so quickly that it felt a little throwaway. Glad to see Reiji's injury hasn't really played that much of a part in the proceedings, at least.

Gundam Build Fighters 14

I guess between this episode and the last one we've hit a bit of a slump. A few funny moments aside, the races weren't terribly interesting and forcing the Strike to come to a halt is a pretty boring way to throw a wrench in things.

TraBuch

Banned
Not sure if this is the right thread or not, hope it is, but I was just wondering if anyone would mind recommending me some anime based on stuff that I like/dislike. It's been a few years since I seriously paid attention to anime so I feel like I'm missing a lot of stuff. Any help would be appreciated.

Loved:
Welcome to the NHK (Favorite ever)
Bakemonogatari
Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
Cromartie High School
Katanagatari
Black Lagoon
Steins;Gate
FLCL
Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Cowboy Bebop
Gungrave
The World Only God Knows

Liked:
Gintama
Astro Fighter Sunred
Arakawa Under the Bridge
The Tatami Galaxy
Genshiken
Kore wa Zombie Desuka
Baccano
Nichijou
Nodame Cantabile
Usagi Drop
Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko
School Rumble
Mirai Nikki
Outlaw Star

Meh:
Sword Art Online
Attack On Titan
Toradora
Clannad

Disliked:
Kaze no Stigma
Fate/Stay Night
Naruto
Lucky Star
K-On
Fractale
Zero no Tsukaima
My Bride is a Mermaid
Maria Holic

Not sure if this is the right thread or not, hope it is, but I was just wondering if anyone would mind recommending me some anime based on stuff that I like/dislike. It's been a few years since I seriously paid attention to anime so I feel like I'm missing a lot of stuff. Any help would be appreciated.

You're in the right place. There's some good stuff this season
Try Shirobako, Parasyte and Shingeki no Bahamut Genesis.

You could also try Space Dandy (give it a few episodes to get going) Daily Lives of Highschool Boys and Barakamon

There's also some other good shows from this year like Ping Pong The Animation and Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun

Inou Battle - 08

Fact : if you add "of the end" after a special move or skill it gets 200% chessy and +50% more powerfull.

Problem is that 50% more of 0 is still 0.

Anyway this was good episode and a nice change of POV for everyone.I really liked the fact that the "conversation" back then was actually real ..the realistic part of the show seems quite intresting.

NIce usage of "recovery powers"

Yep , this episode was good.

DEATH™

Anohana

If you like that, then I can recommend more...

jbug617

Banned

Silver Spoon (Gin no Saji)
Barakamon
Tsuritama

Blusby

Fate/Zero
Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works
(alternate story to the one you've seen and significantly better)
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Honey & Clover
Futakoi Alternative
Gankutsuo
Samurai Champloo
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
Kids on the Slope
Parasyte -the maxim-
Shirobako
Kara no Kyoukai
Kyousogiga
Gunbuster
Diebuster
Space Battleship Yamato 2199
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Macross Plus
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
Rahxephon
Ping Pong: the Animation
Hellsing Ultimate
Eureka Seven
Shingeki no Bahamut: Genesis
Shinsekai Yori
Texhnolyze

Jarmel

Banned
The Idolm@ster-1
So I decided to watch this due to a number of people praising it. This might not be for me. I found a number of the characters either shallow or boring. There just doesn't seem to be that much depth there. Obviously those things can change but due to there being such a large cast, I'm not sure how much development and characterization all these individuals can have.
The background art was much more impressive than I thought, even if the composition didn't work in a few shots. There wasn't much character animation to talk about although there were a few bits that had a good amount of animation going on.
iXwMipE8Nnjo9.jpg

I'm getting Mikuru flashbacks.
The interesting thing about this episode was the direction, mainly in that it was filmed as a sort of faux documentary on the girls. I suppose this was an interesting way of introducing the characters in an organic sort of fashion. However through most of the episode, I kept thinking about self-insertion and how there were segments of the population that would love that component. I was going to complain to high heaven about this until the ending as it seems like the new producer will be his own character(hopefully). I'm also curious about whether this will devolve into a sort of psuedo-harem type thing where some of the girls are competing for Producer-san's affections.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I'm pretty sure we took any concept of historical accuracy out the window when we introduced the holy grail as the ultimate wish giving device, made Arthur a female, and had magic as a thing that existed though the ages. Having a Joan of Arc in the Fate/X universe who is Saber's height really wouldn't be that crazy.

There is a Joan of Arc in the Fate universe who looks just like her lol

duckroll

Out of the stuff airing right now, you'll probably enjoy Shirobako and Rage of Bahamut Genesis. For recent stuff from previous seasons you might enjoy stuff like Ping Pong, Nozaki-kun, Fate/Zero, Hyouka.

But you should ignore all these recommendations and just watch Space Battleship Yamato 2199 first. :p

The Idolm@ster-1
Don't judge Idolm@ster by his first episode.. there are too many characters , and not enough screen time. Im@as only becomes good once it start devellopping each character ( or set of characters ), that will happen soon.

Word of advice : just put Takane in your TOP 3 already !

TUSR

Banned
Don't judge Idolm@ster by his first episode.. there are too many characters , and not enough screen time. Im@as only becomes good once it start devellopping each character ( or set of characters ), that will happen soon.

Word of advice : just put Takane in your TOP 3 already !

I originally did this, then I watched the second and I was hooked.

Syrinx

Code Geass R2 7

"Bubbles! AAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!"

This show knows how to make me laugh. Lelouch using Geass on those thugs to make them do pushups and dance and shit followed by maniacal laughter (seriously, nobody does maniacal laughter like this guy) had me rollin'.

Lelouch is going to play along with Nunally's plan for now. I don't know why he was agonizing so much over it; as that one guy pointed out, there's no way people would go for this idea after what happened last time. No way. All Zero would have to do is point out that fact; they will not cooperate with Britannia on this plan after the fiasco with Euphemia. Yeah it was all his fault, but she doesn't know that, and frankly he and Suzaku are the only ones who do know.

Other than the aforementioned thug scene though, I can't say that I see what's so "list"-y about this show. Show is pretty much the sequel to Geass so far.

VRMN

Sailor Moon R 11-12
Oh thank god this is in its final stretch. I'll give them this much; for as stupid as this arc can be, was, and is, they did at least attempt something here, which is more than I can say for most filler arcs. I mean, aside from the part where they erased all of the heroines' character development from the first series just to enable the whole thing anyway. But Ail and An are enjoyable enough as villains, even if they make Jadeite look competent by comparison. I still can't believe I'm looking forward to Chibiusa just so they can finish erasing the Usagi/Mamoru relationship stalling.

Inou-Battle 8
For a minute there, they had me. I thought this was actually getting serious and about to have a plot more far-reaching than their clubroom, but no, it was just a feint (for now) as they quickly got back to mocking the type of show they appeared to have become for the first half of the episode. And...yeah, of course that worked, Sayumi. Of course it did.

Bahamut 7
What the hell is wrong with Amira's face? Was that in episode six and I just completely missed it? Good to see Favaro and Kaisar fighting together instead of against each other for once. It's still mostly obvious where this is going and what awaits them in Helheim, but the action is too good for me to mind that part too much.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Inou Battle 8
Well, that was an unexpected development. All this time, we're looking at the side character all this time, a spin off from a main series. Jojo pose make me smile. Oh well, all well end well, and July is still an annoying chuuni who have awaken new power when trying to open a bag of potato chip...and he still failed to open it!

Jarmel

Banned
The Idolm@ster-2
I enjoyed this episode a lot more than the first. It doesn't have stupid questions such as what does it mean to be an idol splashed all over the screen. So this episode revolved around a photo shoot and what it means to have individuality. It reminds me of something someone told me, which is that you want to be unique enough to stand out but not unique enough to look crazy. In industries like fashion or idols, I guess, it seems like the industries orient around certain looks and behaviors yet the individual has to try and find way to stand out while still fitting inside that mold.
One thing I've enjoyed about the show so far is that it does play around with the setting a lot on a visual level. What I mean by that is stuff like manga panning, dramatic lighting, alternate designs, use of shadows, and even more minor stuff like cutting off the Executive's head with random stuff.
I'm a little worried though that the premise of the show either might get boring or stale after awhile. Also with a cast this large, it seems like episodes will have to focus on groups at a time.

Joe Molotov

Suite Precure♪ The Movie : Take it back! The Miraculous Melody that Connects Hearts

A Pretty Cure movie that actually connects to events occurring on the show? Wow, this is rare!

And man, the police react fast and in full force to non-Precure related events.

Jarmel

Banned
The Idolm@ster-3
So the girls get their first gig with Producer-san and it's in the middle of nowhere. The girls have to improv due to a series of errors and a low budget. I really don't have much of an opinion on this episode as I thought Yukiho's problems were more annoying than anything else.
ieH89LaBGtPRq.jpg

Hey we got 2D car animation this episode!
It was sort of funny seeing Yukiho freak out but it also got old. Her reactions are so extreme and the way she responds is so repetitive, that I started to tune her out. The idea of stage fright is very much a real thing for many performers but I don't think the show handled it well in regards to her.
I did find the background art to be really good this episode, mainly with how the wood was drawn. The lighting was also good in a number of shots. I thought the show did a fairly decent job capturing the rural atmosphere and there were some good character animation bits with Yukiho on stage.

Rhapsody

Banned
Inou Battle 8

I really found this series to be some regular slice of life with a small gimmick of chuunibyou at the start, but I've been enjoying it much more lately. It's been doing a nice mix for me and even surprising me here and there. The end certainly was interesting, and I wasn't expecting the episode to end right there.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Shingeki no Bahamut: Genesis Episode 7

I will say this show knows how to put on an epic battle, or at least an epic curb stomping since outside of a main character all of the humans are bloody useless.

Thoraxes

Best day ever.

Come home to a package adorned with glorious Chitoge-sama, and a nice full-body poster.
Gonna be nice when I have one for all four girls because their bluray art was all really fucking cute (however Chitoge's was the best by far).
Seeing her huge grin when I opened the bluray case brought a smile to my face.

Fuck yeah.

2014-11-2501.54.1267djr.jpg

jman2050

Inou Battle 8

So we have a
war between people with superpowers orchestrated by a secret organization of fairies that functions as a Battle Royale of sorts, complete with intrigue, behind-the-scenes backstabbing, romance, and human superweapons who are given a new home with our band of misfit heroes
except all of that stuff is happening in the background and we're just following our group of silly high school students doing silly high school things because that's apparently the author found that far more interesting! He/She's probably right.

Ending of this episode was great.

Try D-Frag.

DEATH™;140283754 said:
Anohana

If you like that, then I can recommend more...

Hm... If he didn't like either Clannad or Toradora, I'm not sure AnoHana is something to recommend.

Best day ever.

Come home to a package adorned with glorious Chitoge-sama, and a nice full-body poster.
Gonna be nice when I have one for all four girls because their bluray art was all really fucking cute (however Chitoge's was the best by far).
Seeing her huge grin when I opened the bluray case brought a smile to my face.

Fuck yeah.

Cool.

Veitsev

Based on this list in general I would recommend

- Nisekoi (Its animated by Shaft and is very similar visually to Bakemonogatari + Arakawa. Might be too haremy/romance for you but worth giving a shot for the similar style)
- Noragami (main character is similar to main in Monogatari and voiced by the same actor; just a fun supernatural show that can be really funny)
- BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad (great dub, I would watch this one dubbed) and Kids on the Slope (You liked Nodame Cantabile, these are the other two best music based animes ever made)
- Dennou Coil (Directed/Created by the guy that did the key animation on FLCL; very good sci fi series with a unique well realized world. It starts off slow but it builds up to a great conclusion and even the little details during the slow times end up mattering. Just very well put together)

Watch these Mamoru Hosoda movies if you haven't seen them. They all have great dubs too.

- Summer Wars (my personal favorite Hosada film)
- The Girl Who Leapt Through Time (If you liked Steins;Gate you will like this)
- Wolf Children

Based on the kind of comedies you seem to like

- Good Luck Girl! (same studio that made Gintama; similar insane comedy/parody. Has some great serious moments too)
- The Devil is a Part Timer
- D-Frag
- Ouran Koukou Host Club

Good Luck Girl!, Devil, and Ouran have good/great dubs with Good Luck Girl being the strongest. The two leads have some pretty insane chemistry and seem to be having a ton of fun talking shit to each other.

As far as new/current stuff I would give the following a try

- Parasyte: the Maxim
- Shingeki no Bahamut: Genesis
- Hitsugi no Chaika
- Akatsuki no Yona

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom