• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.
Inou Battle - 08

Suddenly we're introduced to a bunch of new characters. Well as long as it shakes things up I'm all for it.
So this superpower stuff is all basically a way for fairies to pass time and bet who wins? That's silly enough that I can get behind it. This Litia fairy is pretty great. And the power of potato chips...
GshXNoV.jpg
jgGuofK.jpg

Isotope

Inou Battle - 07

Marathoned this show (Turns out it's not so bad. Robber da best), then got to this episode. That outburst was amazing; VA really made the scene.

Link Man

Banned
Rage of Bahamut 7

Fun episode, Amira being cute, nice misdirection by Kaiser. And they totally stole that barrier stepping stone move from Log Horizon.

Shingeki no Bahamut 07

Gee I would've liked that first part better if I could see what the fuck was going on, Funimation encodes strike again
Liked this episode quite a lot, I'm glad Favaro and Kaisar are finally getting along.
And shit I know if the story has an ancient evil big bad that will destroy the world he is gonna wake up and be the final boss but they really want to push the fear of the big scary CGI Deathwing
I also agree with Duckroll's post in the thread that the gap between the episodes kind of killed the momentum a little.

-------------------------------

Is Chaika really only going to be 10 episodes this season? I'm hoping this doesn't turn into a "Read the LN" situation.

Yes, and apparently they are skipping a lot of stuff, including an entire volume.

Why. Who chose this to dub? It should stay forgotten forever.

TUSR

Banned
-------------------------------
Yes, and apparently they are skipping a lot of stuff
Chaika
LN spoiler from what I've heard:
apparently Gaz is alive in the LNs now or something?

If Toru doesn't make a contract with Fredrika I'm going to lose my mind. Can anyone who has actually read them tell me if the show has been trolling this whole time.

This may be off subject but have you seen the anime of Gintama?

Nah, and since it apparently takes a lot of episodes to really get going I'm not sure when I'm gonna check that out.

Greed island was in no way meant to avoid player killing , it was just part of the game. 8Gms with superpower don't raise an eyebrown then it's mean it's allowed.

Heck there was even some rules about killing ( and cards ) and none against.

At the beginning someone specifically mentions that e.g. the loss of cards on death is supposed to deter from player killing.

But eh, even if player killing is totally fine, I just can't help but grow more and more irritated by Ging. He just seems like an overall smug jerkoff whose son adores him anyways despite despising killing, because he's a top hunter and that's all that counts to Gon? I mean this game was even meant to be an obstacle to overcome for Gon and all these people killing each other?

Branduil

Rage of Bahamut 7

The show is still good. The large-scale battle had a pretty nice budget and the CGI was integrated decently. Some of the storyboarding and animation in the second half felt iffy but nothing too distracting. The story itself remains quite predictable, but the characters are charming enough that you don't mind.

Chaika
LN spoiler from what I've heard:
apparently Gaz is alive in the LNs now or something?

If Toru doesn't make a contract with Fredrika I'm going to lose my mind. Can anyone who has actually read them tell me if the show has been trolling this whole time.

I think S2 and the LN will conclude at the same time from what I heard.
I'm fairly certain that Gaz spoiler is true. He's even on that artwork of S2.
And for the Dragoon cavalier, I am sure that happens at some point and it's too big of a thing to skip.

Puella Magi Madoka Magica - 05

I was expecting that violin boy to die just as Sayaka said she's the happiest she's ever been. We're 5 episodes in and Madoka is still beating around the bush.
Cool detail that the wish influences the power of the magic. Since Sayaka wished to heal that boy, she now heals herself faster.
I think Homura has the ability to stop time/teleport or shes faster than sonic on steroids? Either way I hope they kick that redheads ass and puts her in her place. I bet that witch is gonna come back and interrupt their fight, so they have to fight together to defeat it
Since that cute Doll from episode 3 managed to do some pretty horrible stuff, this little fucker is probably Satan himself.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Tokyo Ghoul - 1-2

Well this went completely as expected.

I find it odd that Ghouls are public information but the safety and security structure of the city is kind of shitty. I guess we'll find out later what the ghouls are weak against (besides other ghouls), but why the fuck would you go out walking at night, especially to shady dark areas alone? Besides MC and Crazy chick, there were the two schoolgirls walking alone at night
One being a ghoul

I don't really get why they made a distinction of him being Human and a Ghoul if he is effectively a Ghoul now. Maybe because he was born a human and experienced life as one makes him different, but it isn't like he can eat human food anymore, so I don't really get the distinction.

Jarmel

Banned
Inou Battle-8
lololololol This episode was a complete genre shift.
We have people being 'killed', teeth getting punched out, and someone punched hard enough to throw up
So this episode revolved around the other Chuuni's group and how
there actually is a legit war going on
. Welp I didn't expect the other group to
be the main leads and we're following the side characters
. I guess the big question is whether the show is going in that direction for the finale or if this was just an one-shot sort of deal. Chances are it's the later but a man can dream. I really feel bad for Andou, dude got super ripped off.
Thank you Based Trigger for all that awesome background art during the F Base assault and the fighting animation this episode.
I suppose it says something about me in that I found the earlier bits more interesting than half this show's run.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Like I said, they are skipping a lot of material, apparently.
Including a scene where Toru pats Red Chaika's head and she blushes like crazy

Skipping that scene is a crime! Crime i tell ya!

Log Horizon 2nd 8

The Akiba Raid finally over. Akatsuki get what she wanted, a Teaching and high level weapon. The 27 maiden then have a pajama parties. Lovely.

Inou Battle 8
Wait is that actually building some drama with a plot possibly worth caring about. And then they take it away back to the slice of life stuff, poking fun at the antics of deus ex machina. Well the new cast members seem fun and enjoyable and this backstory is sort of interesting but it doesn't really seem to want to commit to actual drama. It just chickens out when it starts building. Attempting to be a commentary on Chuuni or Shounen action doesn't mean you can fall into pits without cost.

Grisaia 05:
"I wanna die!"
"Okay."
(Proceeds to bury girl alive in a coffin)

Sugoi na
That's the difference between pathetic protagonist and people that aren't there to listen to stupid rants.
Best reaction possible.

WHAT , someone licensed this show ?

WHAT A MISTAKE

At the beginning someone specifically mentions that e.g. the loss of cards on death is supposed to deter from player killing.
It's a supposition , but it's not an active deterrent.
It would have been perfectly acceptable to make a game where death isn't possible and they made no attempts not to. It's not for show that this was a game for hunters made by hunters. Death was obviously part of the design. It just wasn't part of the main quest

The game was designed around exploration AND thievery ( entire set of cards were around this aspect )

But eh, even if player killing is totally fine, I just can't help but grow more and more irritated by Ging. He just seems like an overall smug jerkoff whose son adores him anyways despite despising killing, because he's a top hunter and that's all that counts to Gon? I mean this game was even meant to be an obstacle to overcome for Gon and all these people killing each other?
Then you've reached the appropriate conclusion about ging.
About the game: it was said at the start , this was only meant "for fun", nothing else , Greed island only had the added value that it could be used as a training ground if you have enough talent.

Frog-fu

Banned
Nagi no Asukara 14-26

What the fuck happened to this anime? The first half was great. I had my issues with it here and there, but it was enjoyable nonetheless. Then the timeskip happens and everything changes and not enough is for the better. It's probably one of the most disappointing decline in quality for me in a while. Everyone falls in and out of love with one another to the point one could make a pretty detailed info graphic. The protagonist becomes an insufferable prick most of the time. Everyone just became so much less likeable.

I finished this a few hours ago and I'm not at all saddened or whatever that it's over. A little relieved actually, and I had a feeling I would a few episodes into the second half.

Tokyo Ghoul - 1-2

I find it odd that Ghouls are public information but the safety and security structure of the city is kind of shitty. I guess we'll find out later what the ghouls are weak against (besides other ghouls), but why the fuck would you go out walking at night, especially to shady dark areas alone? Besides MC and Crazy chick, there were the two schoolgirls walking alone at night
One being a ghoul

I don't really get why they made a distinction of him being Human and a Ghoul if he is effectively a Ghoul now. Maybe because he was born a human and experienced life as one makes him different, but it isn't like he can eat human food anymore, so I don't really get the distinction.

The reason why they made a distinction was because Kaneki knew what living like and being a Human was even though he was turned into a Ghoul. Also add to the fact that only one of his eyes changes unlike other Ghouls where two of their eyes changes. So in that case he isn't a full blooded Ghoul. The eye that can't change symbolizes his human side while the one that can symbolizes his Ghoul side.

NeonZ

Gintama 001

So, it's set in the edo period, but with flying cars, aliens and other space creatures. Lots of characters that gets introduced as well. Amusing enough.

I had completely forgotten about that. The show later on jokes about how
they forgot about the aliens
, but, really, flying cars are what really disappeared almost completely from the series. Most later episodes just have modern vehicles being used on Earth, aside from actual spaceships and other combat vehicles.

phaze

Tokyo Ghoul - 1-2

One being a ghoul

I think it's something you just have to accept. Realistically, with this number of ghouls running around ,they would deploy army long time ago

I think it's something you just have to accept. Realistically, with this number of ghouls running around ,they would deploy army long time ago

Well if you read further in the manga there are hints of conspiracy, but if I go any further to explain I'll go into spoiler territory.

Yo AnimeGAF folks, after getting back into anime regularly and chilling around here for much of it I got the chance to write a guest article for a writing blog about storytelling as it pertains to anime. If any of you would like to check it out I'd love to get opinions or feedback about my points!

http://wordtrance.com/anime-storytelling/

Wow man, that was very well written, imo. I agree with the problems that reside within anime. The tropes you listed tend to dilute the experience for some. These tropes work for certain shows however, as they are not inherently bad.

Yo AnimeGAF folks, after getting back into anime regularly and chilling around here for much of it I got the chance to write a guest article for a writing blog about storytelling as it pertains to anime. If any of you would like to check it out I'd love to get opinions or feedback about my points!

http://wordtrance.com/anime-storytelling/

I read it.

I think you did a good job of pointing out the positives and negatives. I didn't notice any glaring issues so I can't really offer any useful feedback unfortunately.

cajunator

Banned
Amagi - 08

This was pretty funny with Sentoo and the mascots trying to cover for Kanie at school. And once again the elemental fills the role of 30 seconds background filler.
Welp this is only 13 episodes, this park is fucked if they keep doing stuff like this.
Hnnnng, so many best girls

She is so cute! I love this show! Based KyoAni!

The fuck is this madness?

1416768722005.png

Look up prices for the Geneon set of MAgical Nanoha A's

Amagi Brilliant Park 8

Ehhhhh dunno if I'm feeling this series anymore.
I'm starting to get bothered by the numbers at the end being altered at seemingly random. But it's still better then amnesia melodrama which we haven't gotten to yet, surprisingly.
Since the next episode is about the fairy girls and they have been just background characters the whole time I guess I'll keep going.

Sword Art Online II 20

I am so mind numblingly bored. I don't think I can do it anymore. Frankly I'm amazed that I made it so far in this series but I also watched all of Mahouka so it's not like I don't have precedent for being a dumbass.

Akame ga Kill! 21

B-but Pinchi...
I only skipped around this episode, I think I'll just consider it dropped.

Kokkuri-san 8

Thank you, God.

Based episode

Chaika has been boring as dirt this season.

:(
Nah I disagree! but it has been more confined to a rescue mission sorta thing for a while.

Puella Magi Madoka Magica - 04

So the events that happened in latest the witch labyrinth is showing its effect in the 'real world', but the girls cant really explain to others what happened and the source of their sadness.
Ohh the music is soo good. Obligatory Shaft headtilt? ☑
The digimon cat is taking every chance he gets to push them to make a contract. What are you up to, do you get provision for every magic girl recruited or what?
We have lift off! Sayaka signed! And the wish used didn't come as a surprise. Probably not far until Madoka also signs. And who's this grumpy girl coming to replace dearest Mami? You can never fill her shoes

Oh there is so much more to explore!
Also new girl might be more likeable than you think. shes definitely my favorite!

Fate Zero 5

1. Fuck Saber and everything about her. Let's just move on from the fact that they made Arthur a chick and instead look at how they've subsequently treated her. So allegedly she's supposed to be an ultra badass and like, the toughest of the Servants in the game, but somehow, she's had her ass handed to her by Lancer and then spends this entire episode utterly dependent on men to bail her out. Whether it be Lancer saving her from Berserker, Rider saving her from Lancer, or Kiritsugu trying to save her with a sniper rifle. And don't even get me started on her ridiculous "breast" plate and battle dress of utter stupidity. Didn't she spend her life masquerading as a man? Then why isn't she dressed in goddamn armor like a man?

Saber's portrayal is so completely not King Arthur that even in show people think she's fucking Joan of Arc, but I'm just gonna point out that even Joan of Arc should be pissed off at that, cuz Joan 1) Didn't wear dresses into battle like a goddamn Barbie and 2) Coulda held her own against a fucking prehistoric Irishman cosplaying FFVII's Zack Fair.

In short, there isn't anything good about Saber's character at all.

Moving right along, the GOOD stuff in this episode is no surprise to anybody: Rider. Dude shows up, invites everybody to the game, hams it up like the King he is, and knocks Berserker out of the fight with one damn blow. He's raucous, loud, and so, so good. When Professor Not-A-British-Name is sitting there pissing all over Milk Wafer, Rider does the kid a solid and points out that at least he had the balls to come into battle, rather than hide (simultaneously shaming every other dude, too.) He further disses Prof. WhoRemembersThatName by making the dude waste one of his three wishes or whatever, to boot.

The best part, though, is his proposal to everybody else, which is just: "Let's quit this stupid game and conquer the world, guys!"

Further proving she isn't fucking King Arthur, Saber turns him down, instead of being like "FUCK YES I LOVED IT WHEN I CONQUERED ROME."

Summary: Rider good, Saber shit.

Corvy this makes me sad. I love Saber so much! but I understand where youre coming from!

Like I said, they are skipping a lot of material, apparently.

When you post things like this you're supposed to have important scenes behind those spoiler tags, not dumb comedy scenes. Cutting yet another scene of
Red Chaika being a Tsundere
is not what I'd call relevant material

Sword Art Online S2 E20

When Kirito showed up at the end

82hd6.jpg

It's completely stupid and out of nowhere bad ass scene that works for a stupid series like SAO. If anything the series could use more big hero moments like that.

In the middle of Hunter x Hunter - 77 and man, this family is one gigantic death flag, dear mother of blatancy @_@

I don't know if all of them gonna die or either the sister or brother survive, but someone IS gonna die, that's for sure.

edit:
For now it appears it's in fact the mother that survives.

Terraformars 9

Perhaps if we could have seen more of Adolf's bad ass moment this episode could have been the best of the series, instead it was so poorly drawn that I had no idea what was happening half the time. It's too bad as Adolf went from the character I cared the least about to the character I cared the most about in 2 episodes, it's really too bad that
he's probably either dead, about to be killed, or about to die as there is no way the series is going to let him stick around after what's happened.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Watamote 01

Wow.. just wow. So this is how it feels to be laughing and crying at the same time. It is a good comedy, but I felt like I will go to hell for laughing at this. A lot of things really hit close to home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom