• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Yo AnimeGAF folks, after getting back into anime regularly and chilling around here for much of it I got the chance to write a guest article for a writing blog about storytelling as it pertains to anime. If any of you would like to check it out I'd love to get opinions or feedback about my points!

http://wordtrance.com/anime-storytelling/

the genre of ani­mated TV shows orig­i­nat­ing in Japan com­monly referred to as anime.
the genre of ani­mated TV shows
the genre
jpoWKlcw0IeSd.png

Aria the Natural 02

Much better than the first episode. I don't know what they were thinking making Venice's most notorious womanizer into a giant cat...

Anyways this episode explores the city looking for treasure. What they found isn't unexpected and a great way to conclude the episode. Aria seems to know where to look whenever Akari is looking for something. I'm beginning to think these mutated beasts they call cats actually built Neovenice.

Bahamut 07

Great episode. Farvaro actually surprised me
in that he didn't freak out and go into a blind rage against the demon who killed his father like you see so many other characters do in anime. Props to Kaiser as well Loved the demon's cockiness through the entire fight, really made the entire thing a joy to watch since it was clear from the start that our heroes actually posed little to no threat at all to him.
Oh look Rita saving asses and connecting the dots together about Amira, she suffers so much hanging out with these idiots but I guess somebody in this group actually has to take care of business.

Jeanne d'Arc a best.

Jintor

Log Horizon s2 08

Crosspost from OT

Finally got around to watching the latest ep. Really beginning to notice how terrible the animation looks, if I'm being honest. I mean, at least it's mostly more solid than a lot of other anime, but this could look so much damn better... oh well. Luckily the action and script are still tight. It's not so bad as to be completely distracting, but it verges on the edge at times. Particularly with an action-heavy episode like this.

Still, it was pretty cool.
They don't seem to have taken into consideration the fact that they just removed the barrier though... like... the ramnifications thereof... but still, the way they twisted the flavour text (I think the most interesting part was that the flavour text actually became about Akatsuki herself) and then kind of made it all about her, that was actually kind of heartwarming.

Really looking forward to next episode. Anything to get into the head of the villain with glasses.

Did anyone pick this up to dub? Somehow I doubt it :T

/edit I was a tad annoyed that crazy murderer guy was
basically just a crazy murderer guy and had little to no interesting backstory. If I'm not mistaken he was polishing the armour back in Ep 2 or 3 or something, right? And he walked past Akatsuki that one time I guess.

Andrew J.

Not sure if this is the right thread or not, hope it is, but I was just wondering if anyone would mind recommending me some anime based on stuff that I like/dislike. It's been a few years since I seriously paid attention to anime so I feel like I'm missing a lot of stuff. Any help would be appreciated.

If you like Bebop and Outlaw Star, you should definitely check out Trigun.

wonzo

Banned
bahamut 7

bahamut7.jpg

it's all beer and food while shit gets real

Yamishibai S2 10-13 END

yamishibais211.jpg

More of the same which is always a good thing due to just how little horror there is these days. Hope we get a S3!

phaze

Bahamut 07

Great episode. Farvaro actually surprised me
in that he didn't freak out and go into a blind rage against the demon who killed his father like you see so many other characters do in anime. Props to Kaiser as well Loved the demon's cockiness through the entire fight, really made the entire thing a joy to watch since it was clear from the start that our heroes actually posed little to no threat at all to him.
Oh look Rita saving asses and connecting the dots together about Amira, she suffers so much hanging out with these idiots but I guess somebody in this group actually has to take care of business.

Jeanne d'Arc a best.

On a semi related note, there's apparently an anime set in hundred years war coming this winter.

cajunator

Banned
Full Metal Panic! - 8

Man, I love these kind of episodes in this show. Sousuke trying to act like a normal high-school kid will never stop being funny.

If this kind of stuff is what Fumoffu is all about, then I can't wait until I get to it.

Oh, you are in for a TREAT

Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt - 1

mmm alright

This show is so wonderfully fucked up and has an incredible soundtrack.

Amagi 8

This show is all over the place. Apparently its still about saving a park?

Best girl, apparently shes only in one episode though.

I like KyoAnis recent way of showing a girls emotion through her hair, similar to some Miyazaki films.

Inou Battle - 08

Suddenly we're introduced to a bunch of new characters. Well as long as it shakes things up I'm all for it.
So this superpower stuff is all basically a way for fairies to pass time and bet who wins? That's silly enough that I can get behind it. This Litia fairy is pretty great. And the power of potato chips...

That bag of potato chips must be like Terra chips. Sealed by the force of the sun.

Puella Magi Madoka Magica - 05

I was expecting that violin boy to die just as Sayaka said she's the happiest she's ever been. We're 5 episodes in and Madoka is still beating around the bush.
Cool detail that the wish influences the power of the magic. Since Sayaka wished to heal that boy, she now heals herself faster.
I think Homura has the ability to stop time/teleport or shes faster than sonic on steroids? Either way I hope they kick that redheads ass and puts her in her place. I bet that witch is gonna come back and interrupt their fight, so they have to fight together to defeat it
Since that cute Doll from episode 3 managed to do some pretty horrible stuff, this little fucker is probably Satan himself.

Oh this is so good. Please continue.

Yo AnimeGAF folks, after getting back into anime regularly and chilling around here for much of it I got the chance to write a guest article for a writing blog about storytelling as it pertains to anime. If any of you would like to check it out I'd love to get opinions or feedback about my points!

Great article. Easy to read and well written points. I dont have much to say other than I agree with basically all of it.

Gintama 007

Way to cause an hm... interplanetary? incident.

Money trouble, working for government officials with big schlongs and a pinhead prince. Luckily everything works out and lives gets ruined.

oh happy days when somebody starts watching Gintama. Remember what we tell everybody here: show is only ok during the first 20-25 episodes, then it turns amazing afterwards. So 9/10ths of the show is great.

Yeah, I remember that.

Really interesting article. That was a good read.

It wears thin after a while. I'm interested in what you have to say about the disparity between the first season and the spinoff series. Don't get me wrong; Fumoffu is funny (I believe the first part of episode five had some the funniest gags, moreso than the famous episode seven), but after a while I missed the arcs where he faced deranged terrorists. That's what makes Full Metal Panic such a unique series. Fumoffu and The Second Raid were off-kilter; Fumoffu was too lighthearted and The Second Raid too serious. KyoAni never managed to strike a good balance, which is why I want to see them take another shot at it. It's never meant to be though; it's been nine years since The Second Raid.

Well, the show's all right balancing what it's got so far. I'm really interested to see how KyoAni takes it after the first series. With one show being funny and filled with hijinks and the other focusing more on the serious stuff.

oh happy days when somebody starts watching Gintama. Remember what we tell everybody here: show is only ok during the first 20-25 episodes, then it turns amazing afterwards. So 9/10ths of the show is great.

I really should pick this show back up too. Perhaps I'll get around to it after I finish all of FMP.

cajunator

Banned
Watamote 01

Wow.. just wow. So this is how it feels to be laughing and crying at the same time. It is a good comedy, but I felt like I will go to hell for laughing at this. A lot of things really hit close to home.

Its pretty hilarious but Tomoko is adorable. I want to hug her.
Poor miserable thing.

Not sure if this is the right thread or not, hope it is, but I was just wondering if anyone would mind recommending me some anime based on stuff that I like/dislike. It's been a few years since I seriously paid attention to anime so I feel like I'm missing a lot of stuff. Any help would be appreciated.

Loved:
Welcome to the NHK (Favorite ever)
Bakemonogatari
Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
Cromartie High School
Katanagatari
Black Lagoon
Steins;Gate
FLCL
Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Cowboy Bebop
Gungrave
The World Only God Knows

Liked:
Gintama
Astro Fighter Sunred
Arakawa Under the Bridge
The Tatami Galaxy
Genshiken
Kore wa Zombie Desuka
Baccano
Nichijou
Nodame Cantabile
Usagi Drop
Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko
School Rumble
Mirai Nikki
Outlaw Star

Meh:
Sword Art Online
Attack On Titan
Toradora
Clannad

Disliked:
Kaze no Stigma
Fate/Stay Night
Naruto
Lucky Star
K-On
Fractale
Zero no Tsukaima
My Bride is a Mermaid
Maria Holic

Of recent shows I think you might like Non Non Biyori, Barakamon, Tsuritama, Jinrui, From The New World, Gargantia

Alright, cool, wasn't sure if there was a general anime OT and OTs for each new season or if it was all just one thing.

Its all contained here and more specific show OT's but in here anything anime related goes.

The Idolm@ster-1

So I decided to watch this due to a number of people praising it. This might not be for me. I found a number of the characters either shallow or boring. There just doesn't seem to be that much depth there. Obviously those things can change but due to there being such a large cast, I'm not sure how much development and characterization all these individuals can have.

The background art was much more impressive than I thought, even if the composition didn't work in a few shots. There wasn't much character animation to talk about although there were a few bits that had a good amount of animation going on.

The interesting thing about this episode was the direction, mainly in that it was filmed as a sort of faux documentary on the girls. I suppose this was an interesting way of introducing the characters in an organic sort of fashion. However through most of the episode, I kept thinking about self-insertion and how there were segments of the population that would love that component. I was going to complain to high heaven about this until the ending as it seems like the new producer will be his own character(hopefully). I'm also curious about whether this will devolve into a sort of psuedo-harem type thing where some of the girls are competing for Producer-san's affections.

Its not really that type of show, but also the first episode was shot in a unique perspective that the show doesnt carry forward to the next episode. It becomes standard viewpoints.

Don't judge Idolm@ster by his first episode.. there are too many characters , and not enough screen time. Im@as only becomes good once it start devellopping each character ( or set of characters ), that will happen soon.

Word of advice : just put Takane in your TOP 3 already !

Take this advice and further add Makoto. Third place is up to you!

cajunator

Banned
Best day ever.

Come home to a package adorned with glorious Chitoge-sama, and a nice full-body poster.
Gonna be nice when I have one for all four girls because their bluray art was all really fucking cute (however Chitoge's was the best by far).
Seeing her huge grin when I opened the bluray case brought a smile to my face.

Fuck yeah.

2014-11-2501.54.1267djr.jpg

Im supposed to receive this and a bunch of other stuff today!
Shes the worst girl but I loved Nisekoi so I look forward to all 4 girls getting a cover.

Based on this list in general I would recommend

- Nisekoi (Its animated by Shaft and is very similar visually to Bakemonogatari + Arakawa. Might be too haremy/romance for you but worth giving a shot for the similar style)
- Noragami (main character is similar to main in Monogatari and voiced by the same actor; just a fun supernatural show that can be really funny)
- BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad (great dub, I would watch this one dubbed) and Kids on the Slope (You liked Nodame Cantabile, these are the other two best music based animes ever made)
- Dennou Coil (Directed/Created by the guy that did the key animation on FLCL; very good sci fi series with a unique well realized world. It starts off slow but it builds up to a great conclusion and even the little details during the slow times end up mattering. Just very well put together)

Watch these Mamoru Hosoda movies if you haven't seen them. They all have great dubs too.

- Summer Wars (my personal favorite Hosada film)
- The Girl Who Leapt Through Time (If you liked Steins;Gate you will like this)
- Wolf Children

Based on the kind of comedies you seem to like

- Good Luck Girl! (same studio that made Gintama; similar insane comedy/parody. Has some great serious moments too)
- The Devil is a Part Timer
- D-Frag
- Ouran Koukou Host Club

Good Luck Girl!, Devil, and Ouran have good/great dubs with Good Luck Girl being the strongest. The two leads have some pretty insane chemistry and seem to be having a ton of fun talking shit to each other.

As far as new/current stuff I would give the following a try

- Parasyte: the Maxim
- Shingeki no Bahamut: Genesis
- Hitsugi no Chaika
- Akatsuki no Yona

Of those comedies, you cant go wrong with any! Also add Sabagebu to the list if you take a liking to Binbougami Ga's protagonist.

If you like Bebop and Outlaw Star, you should definitely check out Trigun.

Also check out Vandread and Nadesico!

Cardfight!! Vanguard: Link Joker Episode 155 & 156 (engDub)
Pretty epic duel with Takuto and Leon facing themselves in these selfcest inspired duels. The cards were pretty epic used. Enjoyed Takuto's a bit more than Leon's just for the sake of the cards used and the Limit Breaks employed. Best cards were easily Knight of Passion, Bagdemagus, the always pleasing Link Joker clans Star-vader dragons, Star-vader, "Omega" Glendios, and of course from our favorite Gold Paladins, the amazing Salvation Lion, Grand Ezel Scissors. Takuto is much better with Gold Paladins than Aichi Sendou ever was. Hopefully things will stay true to this with the next episode.

Midonin

Trinity Seven 08

So now that Arata has two people to fight for, things are progressing nicely. A day off like this is a good chance for more character interaction. The revelation that everyone embodies the opposite of their respective sin is a nice take on this motif. As Levi said, she's not envious of anybody, and Lilith is the kind to think dirty thoughts are bad. She's not like, say, Twoearle. Not sure what was up with the Hijiri-alike at the end, but the mystery continues to grow.

cajunator

Banned
I want to get into the Monogatari series, which one would you all recommend? Also, what is the series about?

its the most clever harem anime youll ever see.
Its sort of a bunch of stories about various girls Araragi meets and their backgrounds and such. A lot of scenery chewing and lots and lots and lots of words.
Start with Bakemonagatari, then Nisemonagatari, then it gets complicated from there.

I want to get into the Monogatari series, which one would you all recommend? Also, what is the series about?

I believe the order is Bakemonogatari > Nisemonogatari > Monogatari (Second season) > Hanamonogatari > Tsukimonogatari (unreleased).
From what I can remember it's basically the main character Ararararagi-san meeting these different female characters and interacting with them/solving their supernatural problems.

I marathon-ed through Bake, Nise and Mono like 6 months ago after hearing good stuff about it. It's ALOT of dialouge. I can't say what "season" I like the best, but more what situations and characters across all of these I prefer.
Overall it didn't live up to what I imagined it would be, and quite frankly some arcs with uninteresting (to me) characters was hard to get through. But I enjoyed the series as a whole nonetheless.

Give Bakemonogatari a few episodes, or atleast so you've been introduced to a few of the cast. Just remember that Monkey and Snail is best. Speaking of which I still have to watch Hana..

G-Reco 07

Sometimes the characters do or say things that I don't expect humans to do or say in those situations and I'm wondering what the hell is going on.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Watching the iM@S movie, and what the hell @ the weird random part at 36:14 that looks like some strange rotoscoping or something? Really, really jarring.

Mature

I didn't enjoy what little of Gintama I saw in the very beginning, but when my friend started showing me episodes way down the line I couldn't stop laughing. Seems like the show really finds itself later on. Or maybe it's adapted differently. I dunno.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
I didn't enjoy what little of Gintama I saw in the very beginning, but when my friend started showing me episodes way down the line I couldn't stop laughing. Seems like the show really finds itself later on. Or maybe it's adapted differently. I dunno.

it does take quite a few episodes for the show to really warm up but it's so worth it

Been amusing enough for me to keep going at least.

Not that I'd drop it anyway :p

Gintama : 1-13 : Ok
Gintama : 14- 24 : good
Gintama : 25-259 : awesome

Moonkid

The only issue I had was the generalisations, treating it like a genre rather than a medium, but you address that and I understand why you chose to do that so no problems with me! A fun read, I may have to link it to a friend of mine who's hesitant to try anime.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Watching the iM@S movie, and what the hell @ the weird random part at 36:14 that looks like some strange rotoscoping or something? Really, really jarring.
Yeah. It's also odd because it's not like it was a scene with a lot of action that may have benefitted from rotoscoping so the slightly mundane nature of it made it stick out even more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom