• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.
Puella Magi Madoka Magica - 06

Homura got balls of steel, alpha as fuck. I think that was the OP melody playing from the dance machine the redhead was using? That's cute.
Kyubey spirit bomb was probably more chocking to them then it was to me since it wasn't hard to connect the dots when we saw the "contract ceremony".

*tinfoil hat on*
I didn't know this though..
Kvrw7lh.jpg
KAhXKjg.jpg
Mami-san? Did we see her container break? I thought picture related was the seed from the witch?
Is there hope she is alive and may have been rusing everyone this entire time? Maybe she's with Kyubey and that witch, and together they're traveling the world scamming people into becoming magic girls?! Mami is on the end card, coincidence? I'm onto something here!

Midonin

Kokoro Library 01-04

Show two of my library/book-related batch. The library isn't metaphorical and is really just a library. While AzuDai is thought of as one of the first major examples of the vaguely-defined "slice of life" genre, Kokoro Library actually predates its TV series by a year or so. It also has Chiwa Saito and Miyukichi in some of their early roles.

Unlike AzuDai, it's not really the comedic-type, but contemplative. Not quite to the level of Yokohama Shopping Diary, but there's a lot of moments of silence and montages used to set the mood. Kokoro is pretty cute, and Aruto actually being her favorite author, and the motivation for doing so, is really heartwarming. The rush of guests to the library at the end of episode 2 achieved a similar effect. The character design is a product of its time, but the themes of the show are the kind of thing that holds up as well today as it did when it first aired.

I love these kinds of anime, and even if there's only one or two of them per season, I hope more keep being made. Looking forward to getting further into this show.

Homura got balls of steel, alpha as fuck. I think that was the OP melody playing from the dance machine the redhead was using? That's cute.
Kyubey spirit bomb was probably more chocking to them then it was to me since it wasn't hard to connect the dots when we saw the "contract ceremony".

*tinfoil hat on*
Mami-san? Did we see her container break? I thought picture related was the seed from the witch?
Is there hope she is alive and may have been rusing everyone this entire time? Maybe she's with Kyubey and that witch, and together they're traveling the world scamming people into becoming magic girls?! Mami is on the end card, coincidence? I'm onto something here!

Mami's Soul Gem got crushed when Charrolette ate her head. She's not still alive, I'm afraid.

cajunator

Banned
Cowboy Bebop Limited Edition sets are sold out
https://twitter.com/FUNimation/status/537370930805477376

thankfully I ordered the Amazon version when I did.

*tinfoil hat on*

Dog Drug Reinforcement :D

TraBuch

Banned
How's WataMote? Reading about it, it seems to have some themes similar to NHK.

And what the hell, how have I not known there were more seasons of Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei and Monogatari? I guess I know what I'll be watching next. Next you'll be telling me The World God Only Knows got a third season.

Mature

And what the hell, how have I not known there were more seasons of Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei and Monogatari? I guess I know what I'll be watching next. Next you'll be telling me The World God Only Knows got a third season.
Monogatari is nothing but sequels.

Watamote is good fun and even well produced at times. If you're into that dark, self-deprecating style of humor, you'll probably enjoy it. It's pretty relentless.

cajunator

Banned

Watamote is very self aware comedy/satire of otaku/neet life. But its done in a much more biting way and a sketch-like format instead of how NHK explores the topic.
And yes, TWGOK did get a third season (I know youre being sarcastic)

Acosta

Log Horizon (Up to 5)

I'm kinda enjoying this, but not as much as I expected.

I guess it´s already discussed but this is for different people right? I don't remember some characters like this. (Google Fu to the rescue, it is. But is this normal? changing to another studio and altering characters in such a noticeable way?)

Aside of that, that I don't mind too much, it´s all fine and dandy. The focus on MMO mechanics is still great and that explanation on how to beat a raid boss was great. What I don't understand is this weird focus on Akatsuki sorrow. I don't remember her being defeatist in S1 (she was badass actually), but now we have a full episode of her saying herself how much she sucks and how "ugly" she is, what?

I hope it starts soon with more Shiroe megane action.

TraBuch said:
How's WataMote?

Suffering.

Acosta

Quasar

Log Horizon (Up to 5)

What I don't understand is this weird focus on Akatsuki sorrow. I don't remember her being defeatist in S1 (she was badass actually), but now we have a full episode of her saying herself how much she sucks and how "ugly" she is, what?

Well one of the 2/3 books the season is based on was the whole Akatsuki character development story that just finished.

Yona of the Dawn 8

They should call this set up the anime because we've spent over half the run time establishing the origin stories and motivations of every character so far. On one hand it's frustrating because I want the story to start moving forward and for us to get further into bad ass princess warrior Yona, on the flip side it's all so well written it's hard to complain. Yun's back story was again really good and gave a character I didn't care much for before the flash back a needed depth and arc to establish why he's going to join Yona's harem team. Next week seems to be bringing the story developments with Yona seemingly learning to use a bow and some focus on what the villains are doing.

Midonin

Tamako Love Story

Not necessarily the element of the story, nor the pairing, I would've focused on, but I enjoyed it. The story chosen held my attention, and I'm glad that Choi and company did get one scene outside of their short. If I was making it, I would've emphasized the other shops outside of the mochi ones, and played up the magical realism aspects a bit more. Not that I didn't enjoy the story here, it's just not the first thing that comes to mind when I heard "Tamako Market movie."

One of my favorite parts was when Tamako was running through the shopping district, but the only way we could tell was by the audio, since everything had dissolved into a kaleidoscope of color. Kanna was as fun to watch as she was in the main show, and I'm glad the Baton Club got to give a rather nice performance. The love story of the movie was cute and does fit with themes of the show, I just feel that I don't have a lot to say about it. It hit all the emotional beats, sure, but at the same time it feels like a safe route for the movie to take.

Of KyoAni's movies, I still like the K-ON! movie the best - this is because K-ON! is my favorite anime overall - though this would also rank pretty high. Seeing a daily life epilogue movie likes this makes me excited for the Tamayura movies, and glad that anime doesn't always need to be full of action in order to hit home.

Acosta

Well one of the 2/3 books the season is based on was the whole Akatsuki character development story that just finished.

I should have said that I don't mind a focus in Akatsuki at all. It´s just that I don't remember her this way. Sure, she felt insecure in some social environments but I don't remember her doubting in this way
Yes, not going to a raid was a blow to her but I feel they are exaggerating it and it ends a bit forced

I should have said that I don't mind a focus in Akatsuki at all. It´s just that I don't remember her this way. Sure, she felt insecure in some social environments but I don't remember her doubting in this way
Yes, not going to a raid was a blow to her but I feel they are exaggerating it and it ends a bit forced

Akatsuki felt pressure in S1 multiples times ,
when nyanta arrived , the pressure coming from people shiroe already knew and the fact that she didn't have all those items , the moments when she realised that minori understood shiroe intentions better than her and the list goes on.
What is happenning is just the continuation. she could fool herself by following shiroe commands, but when shiroe is not there, there goes the result

Trinity Seven - 08

Honnestly , this is one of the best trinity seven episodes , for the fact only that the characters were themselves, and brought their personnalities for enhancing the dialog.

Tears, comedies, studying, misunderstandings , running gags , jokes , this episode had it all , including a MUCH NEEDED dose of world building so the aundience can finally get what is going on.

I don't think i've ever realised that the wrap gate were in fact ripped-off version of stargates.
I guess the anime served a purpose then.

Another thing to note was the ED song , much better than the second , but still inferior to the first.. it was still agood attempt.

It's such a shame that the ba&ckground music during the varrious scenes is so dull.

Speaking of Bahamut, I really love the end cards for each episode, like this one:

798159-rage_of_bahamut_ep_1_end_card.png

Probably as much as Tokyo Ghoul's:

tokyo-ghoul-yamori-jason.jpg

The end cards for Bahamut are pretty great. I really love them.

Yeah but them Tokyo Ghoul ones...

Tokyo-Ghoul-Episode-11-Review-Mado-Akira-750x410.jpg

This one is artistically beautiful and amazing. Too bad the anime couldn't be like that, just enjoyable nothing else.

Kvik

Yeah but them Tokyo Ghoul ones...

Tokyo-Ghoul-Episode-11-Review-Mado-Akira-750x410.jpg

This one is artistically beautiful and amazing. Too bad the anime couldn't be like that, just enjoyable nothing else.

Them watercolours. o_O

Yeah, the anime fall short of my expectations since I love the manga. Some of the episodes which got censored to hell and back weren't doing it any justice either.

Akatsuki no yona - 08

This was an alright episode , nothing really happenned except some somewhat touching parting words and a flashback. A flashback that puzzles me. Poor people ? in the fire tribe area ? NOT SURPRISED . I mean i haven't seen other tribe except fire and wind but considering how cunning this clan seems to be , this seems like a logical conclusion.

But :

Why the arrogance again ? I'm glad he has a high view of himself but still..

Them watercolours. o_O

Yeah, the anime fall short of my expectations since I love the manga. Some of the episodes which got censored to hell and back weren't doing it any justice either.

Let's hope for the best for season 2 of Tokyo Ghoul, since the author of the manga Ishida Sui has a hand on the script.

Quasar

Trinity Seven - 08

Honnestly , this is one of the best trinity seven episodes , for the fact only that the characters were themselves, and brought their personnalities for enhancing the dialog.

I think part of it was that it wasn't so plot heavy. It was just the chaarcters hanging out to some degree.

Full Metal Panic! - 9

"Sousuke, don't think of it as an order, think of it as a friend's request!"
"If that's your order, then I will!"

Oh Sousuke.

And of course Chidori walks in on him right before Tessa comes out of the shower. The show doesn't even need to show you what happens afterwards because face it, you already know, lol.

zulux21

So I know this is a little off topic but I figure some of you guys would like to know this.

Frys has Hatsune Miku: Project Diva F for $12.98 shipped (9.99 base + 2.99 shipping) given that the game is going for $40 plus on amazon I figured it was worth mentioning in case someone in here was waiting for a deal on it. (USA only)

edit: it seems it's sold out online already but you can still do in store pick up if you have one near you.

"Because it happened in the novels" isn't really a good answer to the question of "why is this happening in the anime?", it's just moving goalposts. Imagine his question was "why is this happening, in both the anime and the novels?"

Jintor

Log Horizon (Up to 5)

I'm kinda enjoying this, but not as much as I expected.

I guess it´s already discussed but this is for different people right? I don't remember some characters like this. (Google Fu to the rescue, it is. But is this normal? changing to another studio and altering characters in such a noticeable way?)

Aside of that, that I don't mind too much, it´s all fine and dandy. The focus on MMO mechanics is still great and that explanation on how to beat a raid boss was great. What I don't understand is this weird focus on Akatsuki sorrow. I don't remember her being defeatist in S1 (she was badass actually), but now we have a full episode of her saying herself how much she sucks and how "ugly" she is, what?

I hope it starts soon with more Shiroe megane action.

Akatsuki's been dealing with a feeling of powerless ever since basically the end of the first arc. Once the combat moved into politics and she wasn't really needed as a catspaw very often she began to feel increasingly useless (well to be fair, she kind of was). Add that to her weird romance issues with Shiroe, feeling crap next to a high-schooler, and other stuff, and I can see it being justified. It's still a tad irritating though.

The other thing to bear in mind about Log Horizon is that pretty much every player character was once a human who played an MMO and bought a new expansion the day it came out, so you can kind of infer a few things about most of them (especially the ones who were at level cap when the disaster hit)

Acosta

Akatsuki felt pressure in S1 multiples times ,
when nyanta arrived , the pressure coming from people shiroe already knew and the fact that she didn't have all those items , the moments when she realised that minori understood shiroe intentions better than her and the list goes on.
What is happenning is just the continuation. she could fool herself by following shiroe commands, but when shiroe is not there, there goes the result

Akatsuki's been dealing with a feeling of powerless ever since basically the end of the first arc. Once the combat moved into politics and she wasn't really needed as a catspaw very often she began to feel increasingly useless (well to be fair, she kind of was). Add that to her weird romance issues with Shiroe, feeling crap next to a high-schooler, and other stuff, and I can see it being justified. It's still a tad irritating though.

The other thing to bear in mind about Log Horizon is that pretty much every player character was once a human who played an MMO and bought a new expansion the day it came out, so you can kind of infer a few things about most of them (especially the ones who were at level cap when the disaster hit)

Yeah, you are right, maybe I didn't appreciated those issues or disregarded them as some personal issues for being socially awkward and didn't pay too much attention. However I always understood them as a social issue, so I guess it caught me by surprise to see it extending to a complete self-depreciation of her abilities.

duckroll

Yama no Susume S2 13

Easily the best looking episode I've seen this year. Astonishing.

need key animator credits asap

Quite a number of good animators worked on the episode. Akira Hamaguchi did the scene where they all met up in their yukatas, with all the energetic expressions and posing. Shingo Yamashita did the firefly effects and stuff. I think the nightmare flashback scenes in the first half of the episode were by Hisashi Mori while Tatsuro Kawano did the actual flashback in the end, but that's a guess on my part based on their art styles. They're credited though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom