• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pooya

Amagi 9

Ending all the debates, Sylphy has no weakness.

Between this and that KnK episode, why they don't just make an idol anime?!!

VRMN

Your Lie in April 08
Well, Kousei is still kind of a sad sack, but he's at the very least inspired these two. That's more than most have accomplished at his age. Takeshi is a bit more straightforward than Emi in motivation, but they're both more likable than I'm used to seeing out of rival characters. Time for Kousei to bomb out next week, I expect. Music and the general direction of the concert scenes continues to shine.

Amagi Brilliant Park 09
Oh wow. Two straight good episodes out of this show. I think this is the first time that's happened so far. Elementario continues to be the best of the side characters, even if Tiramie is fun to hate. And the end of the episode hints at a deep, dark secret they're keeping from Kanie, which will probably be the plot hook for the final four episodes (and wind up pushing them over the top in attendance count).

Yowamushi Pedal - Latest episode of Grande Road

Man, this truly great year for sport anime.. this show maybe made me shake up the top list for my AOTY. What a great show.. Show had everything, plenty likeable character, lively interaction and even fucking awesome villain, its such a exciting ride especially when its entering the tournament.. full of emotion, and I even cried at one episode with backstory from one character, its really well done. Maybe the source material is just that good, but Keiko Yoshida involvement made me think she probably one of the reason the tight and smooth pacing that this show had.

Its definitely better show than Haikyuu!! for me, and Haikyuu is pretty damn good and ranked high in my AOTY rank, and I gonna had trrouble deciding which of this or Ping Pong that I liked better, Ping Pong is definitely more sophisticated as show and also moved me immensely but Yowamushi Pedal is entertain me greatly too! Its had all of what I asked from entertainment piece and also made me emotionally engaged despite the simple premise of the show.

Sport animu is truly the best.

I believe it is not as great as this post is stating. Machimiya has been a step down and feels like a toned down clone of the god Midousuji. His cronies have like no feelings or personality. At least Midousuji had a cool captain that was pretty passionate and a Braces-kun who was pretty good character design too.

I think it was great from start through to the end of the 2nd day and start of the third but it went down when the snake nonsense came, also a few slow episodes in s1 made the day feel way too long. Also the lack of giving Imaizumi any sort of significant achievements like the speedster of naniwa or Onoda is a huge criticism too.

fertygo

I believe it is not as great as this post is stating. Machimiya has been a step down and feels like a toned down clone of the god Midousuji. His cronies have like no feelings or personality. At least Midousuji had a cool captain that was pretty passionate and a Braces-kun who was pretty good character design too.

I think it was great from start through to the end of the 2nd day and start of the third but it went down when the snake nonsense came, also a few slow episodes in s1 made the day feel way too long. Also the lack of giving Imaizumi any sort of significant achievements like the speedster of naniwa or Onoda is a huge criticism too.

Err.. dude, Imaizumi is clearly playing bigger role than the Osaka dude (the only character that I felt pretty underused tbh)

The new antagonist is rather lame indeed but he just showed up in like last 2 eps which opposed to my post that more meant as general impression for the series, and I think Midosouji da gawd gonna take back the main antagonist role again,

Humanity Has Declined 09

VA0t0LI.jpg

Let them eat cake

It's the rise and fall of a nation. Should have built a boat instead :p

/XX/

Already posted? First promotional video for the Otaku no Video Blu-ray Disc release coming next month:

『おたくのビデオ スペシャル・エディション Blu-ray』12月26日発売! - YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86AHTBxw0rY

Midonin

Kokoro Library 11-13 + Final Thoughts

I wasn't sure I'd loaded the right episode with #11, but it was just what Kokoro had been looking for. Her family's backstory and the library's backstory. Even a backstory for the Comparoid she met earlier. The "everyone we've met over the course of the show comes together to help the main characters" kind of ending was satisfactory, if expected, and a decent payoff for everything. Episode 13 was cute, and I liked seeing Kokoro and Akaha's first meeting. The show's budget wasn't the greatest at points, like the shot where Kokoro's feet are the only thing in frame. What it does have going for it is a lot of cuteness and a lot of heart (pun intended?). Some growing pains from being the early stages of a genre that would later become an anime staple, but it works.

And to my surprise, the show's director would later go on to work on the last show of my book-themed anime tour, which also stars Chiwa Saito. There's going to be something else before I get to that series, though. Something a little more recent, a little bigger in scope. A little more metaphorical.

Clov

http://studio4c.co.jp/topics/post/20141127.html

Studio 4C has posted a more comprehensive staff listing for Project Itoh: <harmony/> on their site:

Director/Storyboard/World Design: Takashi Nakamura
Director/AR Design: Michael Arias
Character Design/Chief Animation Director:Takahiro Tanaka
Animation Director/Prop Design: Kazuyoshi Takeuchi
Mecha Deisgn/Mecha & Effects Animation Director: Koji Watanabe
Color Design: Kumiko Naruke
Art Directors: Marefumi Niibayashi, Osamu Hasada
Unit Direction/CGI Director: Yusuke Hirota
Animation Production: Studio 4C

I'm really excited for this. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

Not sure how to multi-quote when mobile, but I'm also excited for that Otaku no Video BD. Hopefully that's Animeigo's next project after Bubblegum Crisis has shipped.

Midonin

selector spread WIXOSS 09

I hope Chiyori's loss doesn't affect her too badly. Eldora said it wouldn't, but you can never be sure with how much the game is rigged.
Akira... that she's not calling herself by a nickname anymore means Ulith is in for a turnabout she never could've seen coming. There's a part of the human mind that's attracted to darkness, and WIXOSS has been doing a good job holding my attention ever since it debuted earlier in the year. Thanks to Black Rock Shooter (which AnimeGAF convinced me to watch) and M3, I have some idea where the story is going to end up, but seeing how it all plays out is part of the fun.

Branduil

http://studio4c.co.jp/topics/post/20141127.html

Studio 4C has posted a more comprehensive staff listing for Project Itoh: <harmony/> on their site:

Director/Storyboard/World Design: Takashi Nakamura
Director/AR Design: Michael Arias
Character Design/Chief Animation Director:Takahiro Tanaka
Animation Director/Prop Design: Kazuyoshi Takeuchi
Mecha Deisgn/Mecha & Effects Animation Director: Koji Watanabe
Color Design: Kumiko Naruke
Art Directors: Marefumi Niibayashi, Osamu Hasada
Unit Direction/CGI Director: Yusuke Hirota
Animation Production: Studio 4C

Sounds good, but I really want to pass a law banning Japan from ever using English punctuation marks in titles again.

Midonin

Garo -Seal of Flames- 09

Alfonso has become Gaia, the mantle is passed down.
So now both "rival" characters have Makai Knight powers. Can't have a W without an Accel, a Wizard without a Beast. I also noticed from the design of this Horror that it would be something prohibitively expensive, even with CG, to film in live action, especially the feet made of upside-down corpses and the trippy inverse color attack it did. That's how you take advantage of the animated medium.

Also, it was recently announced that, besides a ton of other stuff for Garo up to and including a musical, the anime will be getting a second (likely two-cour) season in the future, as well as a movie. So this story is just getting started.

selector spread WIXOSS 09

I hope Chiyori's loss doesn't affect her too badly. Eldora said it wouldn't, but you can never be sure with how much the game is rigged.
Akira... that she's not calling herself by a nickname anymore means Ulith is in for a turnabout she never could've seen coming. There's a part of the human mind that's attracted to darkness, and WIXOSS has been doing a good job holding my attention ever since it debuted earlier in the year. Thanks to Black Rock Shooter (which AnimeGAF convinced me to watch) and M3, I have some idea where the story is going to end up, but seeing how it all plays out is part of the fun.

I love and hate this show so much.
Episodes are great but its probably the single worst show in terms of satisfaction ever.
Every episode feels like 5 minutes then has you sitting on the edge of your seat for an entire week.

jgminto

This is the recent sport anime I haven't watched. It looks like I need to remedy that.
You should know it's almost 50 episodes at this point so it won't be a small undertaking.

Machimiya isn't that similar to Midousuji. Midousuji looks creepy but all he cares about is doing anything to win. Machimiya is an actual creep. And his team hasn't even gotten their introduction episode yet. Also that "snake nonsense" was amazing.

Andrew J.

The Legend of Korra: Book 4, Episode 9

More to the point, Korra being dismayed that Prince Wu showing up just underscores how fucking justified Kuvira was in taking power. He is a fopish idiot who is ill respected among the leadership and the populace and putting him on the throne will end the Earth Kingdom.

I put it to you that an Earth King who can act as a unifying symbol but is unable and/or unwilling to interfere with the self-governance of the provinces is exactly what the Kingdom really needs right now. Some middle ground between Kuvira and complete Balkanization.

Amagi - 09

Oh a fortress, maybe it'll be an adventure like the last o- karaoke
1RGvzoR.png

I like that the elemental girls got screentime but I wasn't enjoying this as much as I should have. It had some funny bits, especially in the beginning but after the halfway point it went predictable and slow.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I put it to you that an Earth King who can act as a unifying symbol but is unable and/or unwilling to interfere with the self-governance of the provinces is exactly what the Kingdom really needs right now. Some middle ground between Kuvira and complete Balkanization.

They don't seem to have that option. Prince Wu is SO not that man.

You should know it's almost 50 episodes at this point so it won't be a small undertaking.

Machimiya isn't that similar to Midousuji. Midousuji looks creepy but all he cares about is doing anything to win. Machimiya is an actual creep. And his team hasn't even gotten their introduction episode yet. Also that "snake nonsense" was amazing.

Introducing visual genjutsu stuff like that ruins the pure unadulturated sports experience which makes it offensive and painful to watch. How could I take it seriously when it is imagined as a snake that is viscous and folks screaming all crazily when its just biking? It made no sense. Additionally if Machimiya team is already caught up to, it already suggests they werent as good as Kyoto Fushimi who remained a force to be reckoned with for many more episodes.

Terra Formars - 10

You had one job Adolf!
This was a pretty bloody episode, that rock scene was brutal. If the 'country secrets' was legit then I'm not sure if this episode was needed, it just reinforced what was already established in the last episode, by Adolf being more badass and suffering.
The transition was nicely done, and by the looks of it, there's more "cockroach thief's" showing up.

Naruto SD Episode 1 (engdub)

Ways to ruin your main series...change the lead characters voice actor :(

I dont understand why viz did this. Especially since Naruto maintains his regular va in the shippuden anime here :(. I just cant get into him here.

Cwarrior

Which of the One Piece movies comes most recommended?

Best are

One piece movie 9
One piece episode of nami
One piece dead end adventure
One piece filmz
One piece strong world
One piece 3d2y

Other worth checking out ones are

One piece movie 2
One piece movie 6
One piece movie 7(ymv lighthearted treasure hunt non-seriouse story)

Full Metal Panic! - 11

Okay, so I'm watching the dub, and I come across what is perhaps the biggest missed opportunity for a Wilhelm Scream. The boat shakes and a random guy falls off a railing right before the scene transitions quickly. How can you even not think about putting one in?

That aside, it's really interesting to see just how much Chidori doesn't act like a damsel in distress in this show. In fact, she ends up being more worried of what Sousuke has to go through when he has to save her or if he'll even make it out alive.

I cannot name any other light novel female protagonists off the top of my head that are like this, so good job FMP!

Also,
so help me if Andrei is dead. I doubt it, but still.

Garo - 09

Yeah this is more like it! Very colorful, LSD rush Knight. The monster in this was something else, at first I thought Orcs were going to invade from Draenor.
Some sad moments but we'll most likely get some bro teamwork now. That's what
Sensei would have wanted ;_;

phaze

So uhhhhhhhhhhhh

I haven't watched a single episode of japanimation in basically a month.

Yeah

SO HERE WE GO

Attack on Titan 19

that's some cut rate horse CG

so fucking wordy

bitch bitch bitch moan moan moan

i'm so tired of these fucking monologues

oh so a long fucking flashback? goddamn it

lol you're all biting your damn thumbs that's your apology? what a bunch of morons.

no I don't want a shitty Evanescence-knock off soundtrack

okay that's fun ending I guess.

You're taking your times with this. :p Imho it's a pretty smooth sailing from here on iirc. Good episodes and little padding compared to before.

Monster 31-33

Just fucking
shoot him
already !

Hus, thirty years war and now
Johan
. The Czechs really want to see the world burn, don't they ? I'm assuming that those loveable pics from ED come from the book he stumbled upon in this episode. This arc seems to be finally coming to its climax point but they're dragging it out as much as possible. Liked that Johan showed a bit of frailty here. His infallible "all according to keikaku" persona was rubbing me the wrong way.

Humanity Has Declined 12

Haha. Holy crap.

Hm... Well... It's definitively strange. But I'm not sure it's the kind of strange I like. Guess it's just one of these shows I don't get, just like Flowers of Evil.

The look of the show is interesting and the OP and ED is nice though. The ED reminds me of the Azumanga Daioh ED and looking it up, it's not weird that I do.

I give it 2.5/5 fairies:
ZBCTqtY.png
ZBCTqtY.png
z5Xsw7Y.png
svY3rSB.png
svY3rSB.png

Sorry Cajun :p

TUSR

Banned
Oh yes, both Corvo and you are watching Fate/Zero? Oh this is too good.

You sir are in for a treat.

some of his reactions were on par with mine. episode 1 had some really shit scenes in it.

Do you already know the story of FS/N or are you watching it alongside F/Z?

I don't know anything about the fate franchise (type moon???) aside from f/z 1-3 and UBW 1-7.

Good on you for watching superior fate.

Yeah I already like it more than UBW, but someone told me UBW gets really good in the latter half.

some of his reactions were on par with mine. episode 1 had some really shit scenes in it.

I don't know anything about the fate franchise (type moon???) aside from f/z 1-3 and UBW 1-7.

Yeah I already like it more than UBW, but someone told me UBW gets really good in the latter half.
So you're watching UBW as well? Is it true that F/Z's first episode ruins UBW's plot twists?

Curious to know as watching UBW has really made me want to watch F/Z as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom