• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.
Puella Magi Madoka Magica - 09

UgnAyQj.gif

So this is where the real suffering begins. Witches and bitches get stitches
I'm sorry, you're no bitch Foodie, it just rhymed :(
. Homura telling it like it is to poor Madoka while she's devastated.
I'm pretty conflicted, on one hand I want more suffering, and on the other I want to see Madoka riding on a unicorn in a valley of rainbows with all the magic girls.
Kyubey's reason is that we're fuel for the fire that heats the oven of the universe? A necessary evil? I can see why he does it, and they don't have emotions so that makes it even easier. Unless he's fucking lying. I'm going to go on a hunch here and say that Madoka Rebellion is magic girls VS Kyubeys alien race?
New ED, maybe it's just for this episode only? I like the previous ED alooot.
8cyj9A6.jpg
fxxmzIQ.jpg

Smooth Kyubey!

e_i

Humanity Has Declined 12

Haha. Holy crap.

Hm... Well... It's definitively strange. But I'm not sure it's the kind of strange I like. Guess it's just one of these shows I don't get, just like Flowers of Evil.

The look of the show is interesting and the OP and ED is nice though. The ED reminds me of the Azumanga Daioh ED and looking it up, it's not weird that I do.

I give it 2.5/5 fairies:
ZBCTqtY.png
ZBCTqtY.png
z5Xsw7Y.png
svY3rSB.png
svY3rSB.png

Sorry Cajun :p

Did you know that the show is told
backwards chronologically?

Gundam Build Fighters 19

The show's obsession with making the models' equipment and parts explode culminates in making repairs mid-fight in order to be able to do it all again; it's starting to bug me a little bit since it happens in every episode and loses impact as a result. The fight against Nils would be fine in any other show, maybe even great, but coming right after the Meijin fight and concluding in pretty much the same way as the fights against Fellini and Mao, it's a bit...disappointing. The "backstory" stuff mostly reiterated what we already know, too.

Humanity Has Declined 12

Haha. Holy crap.

Hm... Well... It's definitively strange. But I'm not sure it's the kind of strange I like. Guess it's just one of these shows I don't get, just like Flowers of Evil.

The look of the show is interesting and the OP and ED is nice though. The ED reminds me of the Azumanga Daioh ED and looking it up, it's not weird that I do.

I give it 2.5/5 fairies:
ZBCTqtY.png
ZBCTqtY.png
z5Xsw7Y.png
svY3rSB.png
svY3rSB.png

Sorry Cajun :p
All of my rage at your score :
jinruiqnk8f.gif
Kidding , just an escuse to post this gif
Damn i thought this was one of the best episodes ( it's in my top 3 )
I honnestly thought you would have scored it 3.5 or more for the serie.
I mean it's unorthodox , original , full of ideas , not afraid of doing "odd" things and with characters ( fairies ) that got the show higher and the heroine that acted like we all should but don't.

I mean it's unorthodox , original , full of ideas , not afraid of doing "odd" things and with characters ( fairies ) that got the show higher and the heroine that acted like we all should but don't.

2deep4me I guess :p

Gundam Build Fighters 20

This episode felt oddly stretched, with quite a few shots lingering for much longer than they should have (maybe this was an homage to something?) The fight wasn't that great, and I feel that they've put the melodrama on a level that just feels odd within the context of the series.

Midonin

Fairy Tail 210

The rules of the game are explained more than WIXOSS, but unlike WIXOSS, I don't think this is a real card game. After ZX and WIXOSS, I had sort of forgotten what it was like to watch a card game that's not a late night anime.

Selector spread Wixoss 9
This episode felt alright. A bit too sappy at first but the fight felt decently paced and more understandable than usual.
I hope Chiyori isn't bitten back too much by the reversing wish. Although it seemed she would only be unable to play Wixoss, this show has the tendency to twist simple ideas into much worse. Also looking forward to Akira's and Ulith's fight

e_i

Denki-Gai episode 8

"This turtle's just like yours, Dad."
"It used to be an elephant."

*Spits out drink on computer screen*

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
You're taking your times with this. :p Imho it's a pretty smooth sailing from here on iirc. Good episodes and little padding compared to before.

Like I said, hadn't watched anything in a month. I also watch a single episode of everything on my plate in a round before I go on the next episode.

Midonin

PriPara 22

There's so much PriPara on TV. Does that cause PriPara in the streets?

It damn well better. Stick to the man, sisters! Who is also a girl. And then there's Leona. What I'm saying is, everybody should be PriPara-ing, even me. The show's just past the halfway point now, and that means it's time for some new songs as a gift from the Overseers of Entertainment. Dressing Pafe, SoLaMi Smile, when will you learn? It's not whether you win or win, it's if Meganee and Meganii can keep the independent city state functioning for the day it holds cultural soft power over the entire state of Japan. They already have Saints, what makes you think they don't have Gods?

Loved the new songs. Dressing Pafe's is my favorite, because the rival characters always get the best songs. ("Rosette Nebula" rocks my soul.) SoLaMi's is pretty good too. The Making Dramas still can't match the levels of the Prism Jumps, but the show's picking up pretty nicely. Especially now that Gloria has vowed revenge. On top of her already persistent state of revenge. Adding a "secret identity" twist to idols does help keep the formula fresh, and it makes me wonder where the franchise is going to go once it's resynced itself with Jewelpet.

At this point, I'm beginning to suspect an Idol God may very well be an actual God.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Cross Ange - 03&04

wNOPW9i.png
8S3zudT.png

Awwww yisssss!

My heart did backflips when Ange kissed Hilda
to spit the spiked water in her mouth

Now I need to decide whether I should continue watching because it looks like Kira Yamato has arrived and I would rather not have this garden ruined.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
The Dragon Dentist

This was pretty good, but not very coherent. Are there some sort of cultural things I'm missing?

Hill Climb Girl

Main girl is super adorable. CG was incredibly well done, though kinda janky at parts. Looks style-wise like a much better Knights of Sidonia.

Carnage

Awww yeah. I love me me some brutal Old West-styled revenge plot. The watercolor artstyle was really sick but I felt like the faux-film grain effects were just too forced on. Perfectly set up for a series, though. I'd watch it.

duckroll

Garo - Episode 9

Leon x Alfonso is pretty fun to watch. I like Leon best when he's just being an honest and helpful guy, and holding back his angst. He's pretty likeable. Alfonso's character arc is really predictable but at least they got it over with. It'll be interesting to see both of the younger Makai Knights working together, hopefully in the next few episodes. The Horror design this week was really good too. I love how they did the fake out at the start with the traditional fantasy design, and when they finally got to it, it was totally different and more in line with how Horrors are generally designed on the show.

All the CG aerial dodging stuff was pretty bad though. Just poorly choreographed and lazy looking. Bad colors too! Meh.

It's funny how the entire encounter played out like 2 guys trying to solo a raid boss for their own reasons. MMO culture...

Yeah well I'll be over there. You know, really far away.

Man, I remember that show really getting a lot of hate around here when it was airing. What was so bad about it? Like, I never watched it, but there seems to be like, a pretty negative response whenever this thing is brought up from that point onwards.

Quasar

Clov

BtB movie? Jebus. kyoani I will shovel anything these days.

You will? What for?

Can't say I'm particularly excited for the movie, though. Really didn't like BtB. I'm more interested in whatever else they're doing next. Wouldn't mind a Free movie, to be honest.

Quasar

You will? What for?

Can't say I'm particularly excited for the movie, though. Really didn't like BtB. I'm more interested in whatever else they're doing next. Wouldn't mind a Free movie, to be honest.

Cursed by autocorrect :(

I thought BtB was pretty awful, though I did watch it all unlike Amagi Park.

Garo - Episode 9

Leon x Alfonso is pretty fun to watch. I like Leon best when he's just being an honest and helpful guy, and holding back his angst. He's pretty likeable. Alfonso's character arc is really predictable but at least they got it over with. It'll be interesting to see both of the younger Makai Knights working together, hopefully in the next few episodes. The Horror design this week was really good too. I love how they did the fake out at the start with the traditional fantasy design, and when they finally got to it, it was totally different and more in line with how Horrors are generally designed on the show.

All the CG aerial dodging stuff was pretty bad though. Just poorly choreographed and lazy looking. Bad colors too! Meh.

It's funny how the entire encounter played out like 2 guys trying to solo a raid boss for their own reasons. MMO culture...

Best episode of the anime that had a few other sub stories, I wish it didnt take so long to bring them both together, but it was worth it to put it after the other two had their own development (Leons solo thing was great).

I hope its more than 12 episodes. I hate when shows end just as they finally blossom into amazing shows.

Clov

Leading up to the Hyouka movie, obviously.

Obviously!

That would actually be pretty interesting, though I can't see them returning to Hyouka anytime soon. Just imagining it looking even better than the TV series though... it's just too good to exist.

Shengar

Damn i thought this was one of the best episodes ( it's in my top 3 )

Watashi alone should ensure three out of five rating.

Gundam Build Fighters 21

Still feel like a lot of the drama is forced and strange, but I'm glad it ends without much of an issue. Fight is ok.

Gundam Build Fighters 22

As good of a job as they did setting up Yuuki's rival, this would have been so much more effective if it was alluded to at some point earlier in the series. He feels thrown in here solely to establish Yuuki's new Gunpla (hey, remember when Sei and Reiji had more than one of those?), and while the fight is better than the last few it still lacks some oomph.

Garo 9
This weeks episode is pretty great with all of that touhou dodging thing and alphonso transformation. It was not really that easy to follow, but i guess more flash than substance was a good thing after all, not like anything made sense in this series anyway.
I am quite surprised that this was kinda good. Just went in blind

Branduil

Memai

A story of NTR, yanderes, and a lonely, unemployed man who forces his girlfriend to cosplay as his waifu. Starring the original Chaika.

Joe Molotov

Suite Precure♪ END

Suite Precure was okay, but I feel like it lost it's way in the final third of the series. Mephisto was a decent villian, and when he turned good, they didn't really have anyone to replace him. Falsetto was too jokey to take seriously as a threat especially since we knew Noise was the Big Bad, but Noise didn't show up until the very end. Also, it strains credibility that Aphrodite wouldn't have told them that Mephisto was her husband and that he suddenly turned evil for some reason. Same with Ako, no one mentioned that Princess Ako was missing from the kingdom, and OH BY THE WAY there just so happens to be an Ako in town that looks exactly like her except she wears glasses? Come on. Superman got away with the glasses thing, but at least he changed his name, Ako didn't even do that!

Even though I liked Siren, the show was the best when it was just Kanade and Hibiki and they were frenemies. That was good. Most Precures have one fight and then they're super best friends forever, but Hibiki and Kanade fought all the time. Once they added a 3rd and 4th Cure into the mix, that dynamic got shelved in favor of "Siren doesn't know how to open up to the other Cures" and then "Cure Muse doesn't know how to open up to the other Cures."

Also, Noise. He spent most of the final episodes as a chicken. Hm. But then he unleashes his true power and turns into a sweet-ass black dragon! Yeah, now we're talking! But that wasn't even his final form, omg! I bet his final form is gonna be badass as fuuu...oh, he's a chicken-man now. WTF, are you kidding me Toei? A damn chicken-man. Downgrade total. :(

Bombless

Cross Ange - 03&04

My heart did backflips when Ange kissed Hilda
to spit the spiked water in her mouth

Now I need to decide whether I should continue watching because it looks like Kira Yamato has arrived and I would rather not have this garden ruined.

Keep at it.

fertygo

apparently Tomino said Tetsuro Araki had capability to revolutionize anime world some day in one of recent interview.

I can't....

Need confirmation tho.

Kokoro Connect - 01

Hmmm, got recommended this show from a friend who hasn't seen much in the way of anime so I wasn't expecting much going into it. Couple that with setting itself in one's typical highschool environment and there wasn't much this show had going for it to really hook me in. The reality is that this just isn't something I'd typically gravitate to unless it was doing something really ambitious in one aspect or another. The twist this show is employing is kinda neat though and the first episode was enjoyable enough to make me want to continue it, for now at least.

The random hand drawn style of background art they're employing in a lot of scenes fluctuates between looking nice in some scenes and very drab in others. Feels like it was more a decision to add any sort of visual flair to whats otherwise a pretty unambitious show in the art and style department. We'll see how it progresses.

Kokoro Connect - 02

In this episode we met god. God is a plant that knows martial arts. I honestly wasn't expecting them to give us something resembling an info dump so early in the game. Frankly when your explanations are more or less "magic" then the how and why don't matter as much the effect it causes amongst those around you ... and the show agrees! So our main 5 are all going to be switching bodies at random during the course of the series and they're being watched by aliens or gods or kung-fu plants. Frankly these are things that we all established from the first episode minus the existence of Kung-Fu plants. Though the possibility that this show may genre shift to the life and times of Kung-Fu plants I think it'd probably be best not to get my hopes up for that.

The sprinkles of comedy are probably what I'm enjoying from this series the most so far. Gotta wait to see how the inevitable drama develops though the hints they're dropping at this point aren't what I'd call subtle. Figure yellow hair girl probably has a reason why she's troubled by perky for staying at home alone. Although ... you'd think that would be a not so uncommon thing among highschoolers? I don't know what's actually customary in Japan or how anime's distorted my general perception but so long as you have permission highschoolers outright living alone isn't too uncommon is it? Oh well, wouldn't surprise me if it looped back into yellow's reasoning for learning martial arts too.

Kokoro Connect

Oh neat, someones going through Kokoro Connect with some nice writeups. Gonna be curious to see your thoughts on the drama. While there's a lot of it I felt like it was justified given the situation (which is a social nightmare of sorts) and never really goes full melodrama...that is until the OVAs.

Log Horizon 9

ba1UDT4.jpg

Sums up this episode nicely.

Another raid focused episode and another reason why I love this show so much. One can tell the writer has MMO experience compared to something like SAO based on the battles with the raid bosses and how everyone encounter this just 'Hit it until it dies!'. The counting down till a boss uses a skill, managing adds I just freaking love it.
Feels bad that they got wiped on some total bullshit. Three end of raid bosses at the same time? FUUUUCCCKK. Episode also gladly touched on the feelings of despair and being a loser when dying. So if one has to see parts of their life when they really sucked every time they died along with losing a memory? Yeah I can imagine you really don't want to die even if that death isn't permanent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom