• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

fertygo

Shirobako - 09

iyyDJhAxsq3uI.jpg

ibfFKo1xiNhQ9E.jpg

So, even them stalking amazon chart.. felt a bit vindicated here lol

Now that was amazing episode, I love all the theme about working with passion.. so apparently CG worker does paid good but some of them bored to the death! lmao

The negotiation process scene is reference to Strike Witches S3 right? lol

Ending scene is hella hilarioous too

10/10 eps

Midonin

Twintail 09

I know the first thing people will think of with the Fusionic Buster is the Power Blaster, because the average overseas perception of toku begins and ends with MMPR, but it's a recurring Sentai element for ages. It's not always a combiner - sometimes the cannon is a robotic dog, like in Dekaranger - but in both Akibaranger and the now-airing Toqger, combining weapons like this are still going strong. It's a truly Ridiculous Cannon, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Acena sending everyone into a dreamspace (with a Kugimiya?) reminded me of the Maakuu Space from the various Space Sheriff series, which are usually broken in a similar fashion. The fact that everybody's taking this ridiculous premise so seriously is what makes it funny, but also what enables the audience to take it seriously. Nothing with a ridiculous premise should have "so bad it's good" as the highest possible rank it can achieve. That's undervaluing it. Twintails draws from a long line of Sentai and tokusatsu traditions, as worthy of being analyzed as anything else this season.

And I really want that "Tail On!" single. Twintail, like Outbreak Company, is a show where I want to buy every CD to support the show with my wallet. And if they ever release a figma, I'd love it if my first one was from this show. Especially since the Z-Cune Aoi Figuart was never actually released....

Pooya

PP2 9

citizenkaneclap.gif

hahahaha, the faces are amazing. somebody else is writing the movie right? that's too bad :(

this probably ends up being a simulation to measure crime coefficient of the viewer, that's the big revelation in the end, none of it was real.

Midonin

April 09

I'm wondering how much of Kousei's talent is natural talent. He's good at piano, but at the same time, one gets to be good at things through endless practice, and his mom made him do nothing but practice. Still heavily on the exaggerated, theatrical way of filming, but seeing more of his childhood here, the show wasn't glossing over it. Even knowing what they represent, I still like the underwater effects. And Emi's backstory was touching - everyone wants to inspire others the way they were inspired, so I get where she's coming from. Go Emi!

Jarmel

Banned
April 09

I'm wondering how much of Kousei's talent is natural talent. He's good at piano, but at the same time, one gets to be good at things through endless practice, and his mom made him do nothing but practice.

There's only so much you can polish a turd. Hardwork is required usually to draw out any sort of talent a person might have. Look at Michael Jordan, for example.

http://a.pomf.se/hmplva.webm

Loli Hanabi is adorable.

She just kept pulling those heartstrings every time she wanted to be with her beloved older sister.

That Neji scene was actually pretty brutal though.

Didn't expect it to be that hard to watch.

And I find it really funny that after the stellar Kakashi vs Obito fight, the next best animated fight wasn't one with Naruto, Sasuke, Obito, Madara, Hashirama, etc.

But the fight between Hinata and Hanabi.

http://a.pomf.se/gcasam.webm

Studio Pierrot certainly have their priorities straight.

Kokoro Connect - 12

I can't help but be left with the feeling that this episode is pushing through what must be a lot of LN material in a very short amount of time. It's just that familiar combination of leap frogging between multiple scenes and perspectives in a short amount of time that just makes you feel like the dudes wanted to get through a check list of iconic moments with the limited time they had allotted. So this one comes off as feeling uncharacteristically packed compared to the other individual arcs of the show.

I can't say I disliked it though. Up until now Male Protag #2 has been more or less an undefined figure. He felt more like a device used to make sure that the show wasn't relegated immediately to harem status rather than something that was actually intended to be a fleshed out character. It was neat that they finally set up an episode where he's the focus of events for once. Like they were going out of their way to color a character that was, up until this point, a total blank slate. Yui's side of the story felt a bit less strong in comparison. I liked that they were still referencing back to her original trauma as something that she was continuing to battle with internally rather than something that they were acting like was all decidedly in the past at that point but I'm not sure how I feel about how the old "rival" arc was handled overall. Again I get the feeling that this is more a side effect of trying to adapt what must have been a much larger arc in the LN because it just wasn't something that was concluded in a satisfying manner.

As with Shingeki ni Kyojin or... well, Hunter x Hunter, not so coincidentally, the adaptation is fairly faithful to the original overall, but pretty much manages to fuck something up whenever it strays away from it. Not that I consider the original flawless, but it's a bit disheartening.

Man thanks for going through and clearing that stuff up. The small nitpicks haven't greatly effected my enjoyment of Parasyte but it was definitely weird having the inconsistenies back to back like that in such a short amount of time. It would have probably been a tad more difficult to portray
the public's overall feeling that something was going on / being covered up
but the little things like having guards in the government office during that particular scene just seem like weird omissions.

Attack on Titan 24-25 + Final Thoughts

Well we went really went off the rails from the manga at this point.

Not that it's an inherently bad thing. I'd even say the final fight in the Anime is better than in the manga. But I really have to question
the Titans in the Wall reveal being delayed until the episode's end. If this means no one saw it,
how are they going to explain it when the second season rolls around?

What really brings the show down is its pacing, especially episodes 10-16. At the same time, the first third is better in the Anime than it was in the Manga because it doesn't jump around chronologically like in the Manga. Overall I'd say Attack on Titan is good if flawed.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The anime and the manga are like the same thing except the art doesn't suck in the anime

Midonin

YuYuYu 09

That went to darker places than I thought. I can see the Madoka comparisons, but this seems to be coming from a different place. The scope of the story is a little broader, and the tone is a little more optimistic, even with
Mimorin attempting to commit suicide.
And episode 4 did have its role to play in the plot - by establishing Itsuki's singing talent, the loss of it hits that much harder. These fairies may be cuter than Kyubey, but they're looking just as untrustworthy. At this rate, Ribbon and Glasses may be the last good fairies left on TV.

Chuuni 12

Well... Things work out I guess...

Hm... I dunno, the romance stuff was decent, and Rikka was cute. Having all the characters be chuunibyou (at various points) was maybe a bit too much, although some of the battle stuff looked cool. The comedy wasn't that great, and Dekomori was more annoying than funny.

The visuals in the OP... Well... I think I get what they're trying to do, but it's not that good. The ED is the same kind of stuff as K-On and Tamako Market, so that's fine.

The romance bits are decent enough, so 3/5 finger spinning Rikkas:
yteT9Z6.gif
yteT9Z6.gif
yteT9Z6.gif
wlrSc0g.gif
wlrSc0g.gif

fertygo

Shigatsu & Yuki Yuna

I wish I save Shirobako for last, everyone on fucking suicide watch on these animu

depressing thursday
There's only so much you can polish a turd. Hardwork is required usually to draw out any sort of talent a person might have. Look at Michael Jordan, for example.

At the same time you had people like Tyson/Shaq tho, but you right the true best is usually the one with talent and working their ass off.

Psycho Pass 2 09

hWgSrQj.gif

This is stupid!
It's really stupid!
This show makes my blook curdle!

Shirobako 09

Everyone is delusional in this show and are seeing anime characters. Truly a rough business.
The ending was great.
CG is a lie.

jman2050

Shirobako 9

So far we've have Aoi who has her dream job but no clear future goal, Ema who has her dream job but works under taxing conditions while doubting her own abilities, and Zuka who's still trying to break in. In contract to all this we have Misa who's in her chosen career path, holds a stable job with great benefits, and has her skills properly recognized by her superiors. And yet she feels boxed in and frustrated because of the overly narrow nature of her work. I do programming work so obviously I've had plenty of opportunity to mull over the pros and cons of overspecialization, so Misa's dilemma in particular is something I can definitely relate to.

Meanwhile, the producer mulls over Exodus's preorder numbers and Tarou for the first time ever says something useful and enlightening. Musani tries to broker a deal to score what seems like an adaptation of an extremely popular franchise (setup for second cour perhaps?) and the director... um, he comes up with a new ending to Exodus. An ending that sounds uh... see I don't even know how to respond to any of that.

Aoi's reaction at the end when she realizes how utterly screwed she is is absolutely perfect.

cajunator

Banned
tomorrow is

twintails

EVERYDAY IS TWINTAILS

You poor Chaika watchers. I'll remember her for the solid first season, but I'll pretend the second season never existed.

This is probably for the best. It has been a bit of a letdown. But I think for a lot of series, the second season lets down the first.

Chaika AB - Episode 9

The magic technique that puts audiences to sleep? Or the one which ruins an entertaining show? Or maybe the one that.... fuck it. The ball has been dropped so hard in the last 3-4 episodes. Really disappointing. The way they decided to rearrange and compress the events of the novels completely ruined any potential this arc could have had. Oh well, only one more episode. Meh.

Yeah it really went downhill in a hurry. shame.
At least we discovered Chaika and her overwhelming cuteness.

She has an ahoge, so she's good.

Indeed so!
She is as cute as Rikka without the baggage.

RightStuf holiday sale day 4 is up. Notables inculde:

Attack on Titan Part 2 Limited Edition: $45
Blue Exorcist Blu-Ray and DVD sets: $120 for the BDs, $60 for the DVDs.
Grave of the Fireflies Remastered Edition: $10.50 for the BD, $6.50 for the DVD
Madlax: $13 or $15 if you want the thinpak.
Ouran High School Host Club: $20 for both the DVDs and the BDs
Slayers Seasons 1-3: $24
Summer Wars: $12
Tokyo Magnitude 8.0: $24.50 for the BDs, $21 for the DVDs

Madlax! Now theres a show that I havent watched in ages!
I have the original art boxset though so no need for the thinpack.

Had it on repeat for 3 hours yesterday. Instant addition to my all time favourites.

I was mostly speaking of the ED :p but that track is magnificent too. Though they seem to overuse it.

Parasyte 10

Despite my many minor gripes with it, most of which have already been covered here, this was probably the best episode since the initial three. Good they went again for a swift execution and not a prolonged fight. They don't seem to possess either the budget or any idea what to do with those.

Still, I hope this is the last we have seen of "Parasyte comes to school, threatens Shinichi's friends, goes on rampage, is dealt with."

The ED is really great too but man that insert song is so haunting and unforgettable.
It really set the mood and the atmosphere in a huge way.

Just reading Shirobako episode 09's discuss in 2ch and see this show up in this episode

I just wonder will Mizushima going to make another military moe show?

One can only dream!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nn30pP-VAI8

It's been going on for months. If you check out anime news sites you would know about it.

Oh my god...
that is quite incredible. and the CG is terrible :p

For those who don't know, Doug Walker is doing his Disneycember videos again, only this time going over and reviewing the Studio Gibli anime movies (Although focusing on the ones distributed in America by Disney though).

If you're not a fan of the Nostalgia Critic (which, I've heard that many people here don't care for), you don't have to worry. He's reviewing them strictly as himself and not his character and isn't focusing on making jokes or anything.

So far, he's reviewed Nausicaa and Castle in the Sky.

I guess I'll just put a pre-emptive spoiler warning, since I haven't seen that many Gibli movies and I don't know what he covers that'll be considered a spoiler to some of you. So yeah, just throwing that out there.

Man I love Doug's videos. Maybe hes a bit crazy for some but I love his Nostalgia critic stuff.

Denki-Gai 10

Some people will say it's Nozaki, but for me, Denki-Gai has been a hidden gem of this season for combining some mature thoughts on love (mostly everything surrounding Tsumorin, especially this episode) with some sometimes lowbrow otaku humor. That contrasting tone makes the moments of each more effective. The moment with Director and Hiotan was a little suspect, but handled better than, say, the similar moment in Blue Spring Ride a season or two ago. Kameko, Sensei, Fugirl, everyone's adorable. The chocolate making lesson was my favorite part of the episode, a nice mixture of a cooking show spiced up with character-based humor.

This show really is overwhelmingly adorable. Been enjoying it a lot!

Jarmel

Banned
Your Lie in April-9

This episode and Parasyte's episode this week has reminded me how fucking atrocious the mental health care system is in Japan. Kousei really needs to see a psychiatrist.

Oh and the pacing is awful. Dragging this stuff out doesn't do the drama any favors.

fertygo

Your Lie in April-9

This episode and Parasyte's episode this week has reminded me how fucking atrocious the mental health care system is in Japan. Kousei really needs to see a psychiatrist.

Oh and the pacing is awful. Dragging this stuff out doesn't do the drama any favors.

Hu uh, this and next eps should've just one eps, most of ep in the show actually is.

Which is weird, I thought they blistering through the manga.

sonicmj1

This past year has made me realize just how much better Urobuchi is compared to most anime writers.
It is certainly enlightening how much better the first three episodes of Aldnoah Zero seem now after experiencing what followed them. Oh, for the days when we merely skewered clunky exposition!

jbug617

Banned
Your Lie in April 9

I agree with Jarmel about the pacing. I feel they are dragging out his performance. His mother really messed him up.

edit:
Forgot I teared up when he told his mom to die. That scene was very well done and you know why he can't escape his thoughts on his mother

Yuki Yuna is a Hero - 9

Everyone who thought this show would be just another Madoka rip-off is flat-out wrong. It
may be hitting all the Madoka notes of the "being meguca is suffering" routine.
But it's doing a fantastic job in it's own right.

I love how they made the one most heart-broken by the system not Itsuki, Yuna, Karin, or Togo, but Fuu, who feels responsible for everything that's happened to the club. Episode 4, an episode that I thought had little relevance, ended up becoming a very important part for this episode. We needed that episode to learn of Itsuki's love for singing.

Because in this episode, once Fuu hears of what has happened to their bodies, when she finds out that Itsuki had been doing everything she could to regain her voice, topping it all off with hearing that she passed a singing audition months ago, she of course becomes heartbroken.

So what does she do? She goes off to attack the Taisha in a fit of rage, with the rest of the club trying to stop her. I'm not BS'ing you here folks, you could really feel the pain, suffering, and guilt in her voice as the girls fought to stop her from hurting somebody. And it all culminates with Itsuki and the others grateful that they have each-other and are thankful to her for creating the club, no matter what happened to their bodies.

The entire last act of this episode was very well done, and it hit all the right notes. Really guys, more of you should check this show out, it's doing a really good job.

Your Lie in April 9

This is reminding me of the slow parts of the Shingeki no Kyojin anime or the slowest episodes of the ant arc in the HxH anime. Repetition of themes, switching the focus to secondary characters, several flashbacks, everything to delay the key moment. What it seemed imminent at the end of episode 7 it has been delayed to episode 10.
Of course it could (and should) be said that in this series the main character problems and inner conflict is the start of the show, not the advancement of a arbitrary main plot. The problem is, at this point I don't really care for him, repetition and predictability has killed my sympathy.

Fate Stay Night UBW - 08

Shirou is going to evolve into Lairon? Rin pls... you tell Shirou to protect himself at school, yet you send Archer home. While knowing there's atleast another Master and someone tried to pierce your head with a dagger the other day.
That was a clever trick, it caught me by surprise. Caster isn't as useless as I thought. I'll miss Illidan, for obvious reasons.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Fate Stay Night UBW - 08

Shirou is going to evolve into Lairon? Rin pls... you tell Shirou to protect himself at school, yet you send Archer home. While knowing there's atleast another Master and someone tried to pierce your head with a dagger the other day.
That was a clever trick, it caught me by surprise. Caster isn't as useless as I thought. I'll miss Illidan, for obvious reasons.

Saber is a lot more powerful than you're giving her credit for. It is entirely in Rin's best interest to have both her and Archer on their side.

Saber is a lot more powerful than you're giving her credit for. It is entirely in Rin's best interest to have both her and Archer on their side.

So she sent Archer home to try to bond with Shirou, and get closer to Saber? Am I missing why you pointed out she's alot stronger than I give credit for, in a post not mentioning her?

CDiggity

Twintail 09

So from what I hear, this episode was outsourced to Korea. And it shows, which is a shame because it is still a very enjoyable show. I guess all of those known Toku/Sentai voice actors aren't cheap.

Watching this in conjunction with Shirobako makes for a funny experience when you can tell that the Twintail team is on the ropes when it comes to production.

I absolutely love it when Studio Pierrot blatant love for Hinata gets the better of them.

Moments like these just cause so much fun (Both for their great taste and all the butthurt that ensues) that I hope they continue doing more Hinata centric episodes after wrapping up the manga ones.

Also, I really like that they gave Hinata's hair shine to Hanabi's Rukia hairstyle.

Yuki Yuna is a Hero 9

This episode was pretty emotional towards the end. Even though it ended on a decent note I feel (I don't think I'm alone here) it's going to get worse from this point on.

Quasar

So I manage a end of year anime vote for a small community and well i put up our vote thread a little while ago.

It got me thinking though..this year unlike past years I have no instant go to #1 or anything. Maybe I'm just tired but theres no real easy answer standouts for me.

Anyone else feel this way?

EDIT: I take that back after looking through anichart. Theres Silver Spoon S2 at least.

cajunator

Banned
Shirobako 9

In this episode we learn about the lies of the 3D future, and how Cars has ruined Pixar. We also learn about Tomino's writing process; that ending killed me.

Well they did accurately depict how ugly a Prius is.

Shin Sekai Yori 5

Leave it to a Saint Seiya director to fuck things up. I thought it was an outsourced episode because it was sometimes reaching Reconguista levels of incoherence. In the pursuit at the beginning, we go from the group being together and the pursuers right on their heels, to Saki completely alone and not even running a second later. I'm not sure if it was a deliberate choice or a lack of budget because pretty much every more dynamic scene here felt unfinished. Satoru getting slashed with the spear felt like it was missing a few frames. And I think they tried to depict an assault on the tunnels with a shaking still frame. @_o Other than that: a jarring change in art style (that changes again during the episode though for more understandable reasons), poor integration of music and over abundance of close up shots, facial expressions that make no sense in the context of things that are happening on the screen. They didn't manage to ruin the pretty as usual backgrounds and ED is godly as always so all was not lost I suppose. Still, really poorly executed episode.

As far as events that transpired here go - damn did that "sex" scene came out of the blue even with the explanation that the library gave for it. Earlier I thought queerats will turn out to be genetically altered humans or just normal people hidden under some illusion but given the size of the Queen that has shown up here, at least the latter option is out of the table.

This episode is widely seen as one of the worst. However dont let this one cloud your judgement of the series, because it picks right back up. If I were to criticize this show at all it would be the spotty production values. The important bits though, the story and characters are just amazing. At this point I dont really want to discuss anything because so much of it is spoilers. You really have to finish the series first.

Precure Max Heart 17 & 18

Two consecutive trash-based Zakennas, and the Precure find an illegal dumping site in the mountains and have a sad. It's turning into Captain Planet outchea, brehs. (but hopefully not Captain Earth)

I salute your inhuman strength being able to watch this show. I dont know how you do it.

Chuuni 12

Well... Things work out I guess...

Hm... I dunno, the romance stuff was decent, and Rikka was cute. Having all the characters be chuunibyou (at various points) was maybe a bit too much, although some of the battle stuff looked cool. The comedy wasn't that great, and Dekomori was more annoying than funny.

The visuals in the OP... Well... I think I get what they're trying to do, but it's not that good. The ED is the same kind of stuff as K-On and Tamako Market, so that's fine.

The romance bits are decent enough, so 3/5 finger spinning Rikkas:
yteT9Z6.gif
yteT9Z6.gif
yteT9Z6.gif
wlrSc0g.gif
wlrSc0g.gif

First season was marvelous and very cute. You get a sense that Rikka and her friends might grow a bit and learn to control the Chuuni. then season 2 comes along and fucks everything up. But at least it was still cute.

So I manage a end of year anime vote for a small community and well i put up our vote thread a little while ago.

It got me thinking though..this year unlike past years I have no instant go to #1 or anything. Maybe I'm just tired but theres no real easy answer standouts for me.

Anyone else feel this way?

EDIT: I take that back after looking through anichart. Theres Silver Spoon S2 at least.

But Ping Pong?

Shigatsu - 09

Jesus Christ they're laying it on real thick with the mother, aren't they? For the first couple minutes I was once again wondering "you know, this wouldn't be so bad if it was a bit more subtle and the terrible monologue wasn't there" and then, BAM, the evil mother of evil makes her appearance once again.

She's no longer portrayed with eyes (previously they were just shadowed out) but she apparently also fucking beat up her little child real bad because he didn't perform quite to her liking, despite winning (i think?) the thing anyways. She does that in front of everyone else present.

That's not a layered, gray character, it's a black one. Pure evil. Who could blame Kousei for saying what he says afterwards? Like fucking hell. I was expecting this anime to tell us why his mother isn't just a terrible person and it does the exact opposite.

From a writing perspective I also dislike how such an absolutely monumental event in Kousei's past is revealed only now, just when he's having his performance. It's a cheap method to add quick drama that happens to screw up the pacing and tension the show was able to build up with the previous performances.

I bet that smarts!

Angry Grimace

So she sent Archer home to try to bond with Shirou, and get closer to Saber? Am I missing why you pointed out she's alot stronger than I give credit for, in a post not mentioning her?
Sending Archer home isn't as dangerous when she's a master mage and both of them can call the servants whenever they want if the need to. She isn't terribly in danger by not having Archer around. I mean, she is of course, assuming none of the other masters are Kiritsugu and just going to sniper her down.

No, she's trying to preserve the relationship with Shirou (and by extension Saber) so she keeps Archer at home since she knows Shirou is probably hostile towards him at the moment. But let's be fair, she is hot for Shirou also, so that's a bit dumb, sure.

Attack on Titan 24-25 + Final Thoughts

Well we went really went off the rails from the manga at this point.

Not that it's an inherently bad thing. I'd even say the final fight in the Anime is better than in the manga. But I really have to question
the Titans in the Wall reveal being delayed until the episode's end. If this means no one saw it,
how are they going to explain it when the second season rolls around?

What really brings the show down is its pacing, especially episodes 10-16. At the same time, the first third is better in the Anime than it was in the Manga because it doesn't jump around chronologically like in the Manga. Overall I'd say Attack on Titan is good if flawed.

The changes made within the last 2 episodes from the manga are really shitty, and I say that as someone who thinks the manga is inferior in just about every way otherwise. Well, the exaggerated laugh from Annie made me roll my eyes too, but yeh.

In the manga Eren actually has important character progression when he finally makes the decision to fight for his friends, even if he does not want to fight Annie. In the anime however he doesn't do that. In fact, he decides against helping out his friends and everyone else and instead gets buried for a while. It's only when he's about to die once more that he's taken over by rage and finally gets going. But...fuck that. That's a character regression compared to the manga version of that fight. We just get the same old "rage-mode activated" instead of Eren doing whats right on his own volition.

Also they handled the Titan-inside-the-wall break a bit poorly. It's understandable that it would be weird if done just like in the manga due to the long break...but still, felt weak in the aftercredits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom