• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes only a few more weeks. Tomii!!!!

bg_main.png

cajunator

Banned
Kokoro Connect is only great in the sense that best girl wins.

This is true and admittedly I was able to overlook many of its faults because of it. The show can be occasionally extremely aggravating but I feel like it all lead to where I wanted it to.

Strike Witches event gonna be held March 14 at a thing with the seiyuu. Along with my wife Perrine being the star of Operation Victory Arrow volume 3

EVERYTHING'S FALLING INTO PLACE.

Eeeeeeeeeee
*squeezes Zachy

cajunator

Banned
RS Sale Day 5
http://www.rightstuf.com/site/main/holiday/

Some of the shows on sale:

Kids on the Slope
Infinite Stratos
Nadia
Durarara!! (Aniplex)
Haganai
Haganai Next
Love Hina

Day 5 of RightStuf sale is up and ready to go! Here are the notables:

Birdy the Mighty: Decode: $12 (It is SAVE edition BTW)
Cardcaptor Sakura Manga: $10.40 each and there's a bundle for the whole series for $40
Durarara Lunch Box Limited Edition: $130 (Why Aniplex?)
Infinite Stratos: BD is $24.50 DVD is $21
Love Hina: $16
Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water: $40 for BD, $32 for DVD
Okami-san: $16
Welcome the the N.H.K: $12 (Again, it is SAVE edition)

Edit: Ninja'd again.

Some really great stuff this time around.

idolmaster 1-6

i feel like i've developed brain damage in the last year, i told myself id never watch idol anime, and im really enjoying it.

not really because Idolm@ster was pretty good execution-wise.

I think I need to start on Psycho-Pass. Edgy is God's last gift to humanity.

Shin Sekai Yori 6-7

Some spotty transitions here and there and they clearly don't have a budget to do much justice to battles on such a scale but it was alright otherwise. If they thought Kiroumaru got the orders from ethics committee to liquidate them, then I don't see why they would assume they managed to hide their mischief from the school/adults on their return. Given the promo pic I don't think that's the last I have seen of Squealer.

Now its getting real.
talking about anything this early is still massive spoilers though.
may want to marathon from here out or cliffhangers will drive you bonkers.

Himemiya

ronja 7-9

all caught up now and i'm glad i did the watchbet as this really is such a nice show to unwind to even with some of the more twisted and dangerous fantasy creatures popping up. definitely the best use of cg in an anime series thus far.

I'm glad you think it's a good show! Really should be more recognized by people who like warm, relaxing shows with some light conflict. I am still doing my part of the watchbet (slower than you are) but Ronja is two-cour anyway, as you might know.

Got this today:

Adorable. What's that accessory?

Midonin

selector spread WIXOSS 10

Mayu's becoming increasingly unhinged. It was also interesting meeting the real Iona, and how fortunate it is that she's no longer an echo of her former self. Not the most creative person, but all kinds of people found their way into this game.
I also liked that the Iona we also know as Kuro/Black has been officially renamed Yuki. Which is a White thing. What does that mean for Tama, I wonder?
The show's only got two or three episodes at most left to go, but there's so much more to wrap up. My attention is held, and I want to keep it held.

VRMN

And here's the plot. Ugh. The premise was always going to lead to drama, but this was caked on too thick by at least two layers. Park's numbers are doing a too little, too late surge, Kanie's last ditch efforts aren't doing enough, and oh Latifa's sick again.

Cue heavy handed back story, a curse which means
failure assures that Latifa dies
, oh and my favorite, the "
I met her when I was younger
" cliche. And then add an
eternal childhood and enforced amnesia
to raise the stakes to the point that Kanie's breaking from the pressure.

And of course a magic bullet is hinted at in the closing moments, because this isn't late enough in the series for it to all be over.

I knew it would happen. It's still ham fisted at best.

Midonin

Garo -Seal of Flames- 10

Mendoooooooooza! Feels like things are moving along nicely. I also liked the moment where Herman got Wile E. Coyote'd.

VRMN

Regardless of the end result, it's too much for an ostensible comedy to dump on you in one episode. But that's not why it rubs me the wrong way.

The stakes were sufficiently high from the premise. They're trying to personify it by making it all about Latifa now, not her country. And in doing so they undermine her character by making her less the well meaning girl who wants to help her subjects and more the victim to be rescued by the protagonist.

There was already some of this with Kanie more or less being there to save the park from Isuzu's management ineptitude, but I thought they covered themselves well with that, with Isuzu having strengths Kanie doesn't and the general subversion of Kanie being emotionally driven in a way that Isuzu isn't. There's no out here. They just made it a damsel in distress scenario.

Midonin

what is better, Selector infected Wixoss or Daybreak Illusion? I watched an episode of each but other things got in the way.
WIXOSS is more compelling, but Daybreak has characters that are more likable, if only because they're supposed to work as a team instead of being at each others' throats. I also think Daybreak's slightly more stylized art is a point in its favor, but Wixoss has twice the number of episodes.

Saying which one is "better" depends on what kind of metric we're using for that.

cajunator

Banned
WIXOSS is more compelling, but Daybreak has characters that are more likable, if only because they're supposed to work as a team instead of being at each others' throats. I also think Daybreak's slightly more stylized art is a point in its favor, but Wixoss has twice the number of episodes.

Saying which one is "better" depends on what kind of metric we're using for that.

wixoss has a stronger story and Daybreak has stronger characters?

what is better, Selector infected Wixoss or Daybreak Illusion? I watched an episode of each but other things got in the way.

Honestly, you're better off just sticking with Yuki Yuna.

Daybreak illusion tries way too hard to be a "super dark magical girl show like Madoka was." While WIXOSS is pretty much "a bunch of girls suffering with card games involved" and that's pretty much it.

Of course, I've only watched like, three episodes of Daybreak illusion and none of WIXOSS and everything I said is pretty much everything I've heard about both shows.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
And here's the plot. Ugh. The premise was always going to lead to drama, but this was caked on too thick by at least two layers. Park's numbers are doing a too little, too late surge, Kanie's last ditch efforts aren't doing enough, and oh Latifa's sick again.

Cue heavy handed back story, a curse which means
failure assures that Latifa dies
, oh and my favorite, the "
I met her when I was younger
" cliche. And then add an
eternal childhood and enforced amnesia
to raise the stakes to the point that Kanie's breaking from the pressure.

And of course a magic bullet is hinted at in the closing moments, because this isn't late enough in the series for it to all be over.

I knew it would happen. It's still ham fisted at best.

I would have been fine with no plot ever coming because I just found the mascots hilarious. Although I can't stop hearing Moffle as Saber now, even though she's not doing the same voice at all.

Gintama 030

Can't even enjoy a toilet break with these guys around.

It's a death threat/stalker/murder mystery, and somehow it gets solved, even with Gintoki and Kagura mostly messing things up.

Looks like there's a lot of references to various crime drama shows and such as well. Don't think I know any of them :p

cajunator

Banned
Honestly, you're better off just sticking with Yuki Yuna.

Daybreak illusion tries way too hard to be a "super dark magical girl show like Madoka was." While WIXOSS is pretty much "a bunch of girls suffering with card games involved" and that's pretty much it.

Of course, I've only watched like, three episodes of Daybreak illusion and none of WIXOSS and everything I said is pretty much everything I've heard about both shows.

I really like Yuuki Yuuna a lot and I just want more new magical girl stuff to watch.

Amagi - 10

Eh, I just don't have any care in me with what happens to Latifa. It adds a not needed 'seriousness' on top of what already should be enough to want to see them succeed.
I'm in it for the goofy stuff and mascots. So this didn't appeal to me very much.

Did the streaming license for Special A expire or something? I think I saw it on Hulu uh... long ago, but now it's gone. Can't find it on The Anime Network website either.

Anybody watched it? Any good?

Midonin

One of the first shows of its kind I remember watching, along with Kaichou wa Maid-sama!. Not too bad, and it features a pretty high-quality voice cast. Kei and Hikari's bantering is more playful than deadly serious, compared to, say, Wolf Girl. It's pretty alright.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Did the streaming license for Special A expire or something? I think I saw it on Hulu uh... long ago, but now it's gone. Can't find it on The Anime Network website either.

It's not terrible but it gets old really really fast. The fact that it has Jun Fukuyama is good enough. lol.

Garo Episode 10

Mendoza's punishment was extreme but didnt really seem like it had a fair effect on him and his life. Seems like a small price to pay fr those crimes.

Leon and Alfonoso make a good duo, and Alfonso adds that element that was missing between easily distressed Leon and pervy German. More of these interactions of all three please.

Ef - A Tale of Memories 01

Heh. Is that Konata in the window?

Anyway... Nice first episode with some really good music and fitting since it's Christmas time. :p

One of the first shows of its kind I remember watching, along with Kaichou wa Maid-sama!. Not too bad, and it features a pretty high-quality voice cast. Kei and Hikari's bantering is more playful than deadly serious, compared to, say, Wolf Girl. It's pretty alright.

It's not terrible but it gets old really really fast. The fact that it has Jun Fukuyama is good enough. lol.

Hm... I'll have to think some more about it then.

Terra Formars - 11

That was alot of backstory, perhaps more than needed. I didn't like it as much as say Adolfs.
Mantis shrimp boxer is pretty based however. I think I just spent 30 minutes looking at mantis shrimp videos on youtube.

Midonin

Chocotto Sister Advent Calendar Day 05

It's an episode about underwear shopping. Even with slightly lewd subject matter like this, Choco's innocence remains the charm point of this show. That... moment with Makoto and Chitose is very yes, but at the same time, not strictly related to Choco's story. The scene of Choco, Chitose and Makoto just having dinner and talking with each other was a great scene. Choco's really the star of this show, Haruma's only here to provide a focal point for the audience to see her growth.

Japan Animator Expo - Gundam Key Animations

So yeah, as the title states, we get an in-depth look at the original drawings for certain scenes from Mobile Suit Gundam. Pretty cool for gundam fans.

According to the site's json file, next Friday will be......

Yoshikazu Yasuhiko, Itano Ichiro, Gundam Works

Which I guess means more.......Gundam?

Garo - 10

German pondering about Alfonso being his son and then Annas bastard child was funny.
Mendozas past was quite interesting, a young brilliant mind, getting punished for doing something he thought would be a revolution. And then reminded of said punishment in the worst way possible. This episode made me appreciate him much more.
Alfonso is a great addition to the party. Overall a great episode.

phaze

Shin Sekai Yori 8

000050ncun2.png
0000523quho.png
000053xqueo.png

^This guy is so irrelevant/soon to be dead that he doesn't even get a place in ED.

A 2 year timeskip happens and the cast have their minds on one thing only. Sex. Well at least Shun seems to still have a pheromone resilient brain. I'm liking the updated character designs much more then their predecessors.

I think my one gripe with the show as of now, is that it seems to be, artificially, witholding some crucial info from the viewer. 8 episodes in and they have pretty much shown nothing of this human society/district outside of the school. Who is this 66th district ruled by ? How big is the population of it ?Does it form a part of some bigger entity/country ? Where do Saki's parents work ? So far this area seems to consist of school, Saki's home and agricultural fields. What about the barrier ? Or the already mentioned ethics committee ? The main cast seems to know the answer to these questions so pls tell me too. I get not wanting to overwhelm the watchers with tons of expositions but this seems to me to be a case of keeping things vague just for the sake of it.

Breloom

Neo Member
Should I watch Kiseijuu when it finishes airing or read it now? The anime seems to get a lot of praise but is it worth waiting til it finisheds airing instead of reading it?

cajunator

Banned
Shin Sekai Yori 8

A 2 year timeskip happens and the cast have their minds on one thing only. Sex. Well at least Shun seems to still have a pheromone resilient brain. I'm liking the updated character designs much more then their predecessors.

I think my one gripe with the show as of now, is that it seems to be, artificially, witholding some crucial info from the viewer. 8 episodes in and they have pretty much shown nothing of this human society/district outside of the school. Who is this 66th district ruled by ? How big is the population of it ?Does it form a part of some bigger entity/country ? Where do Saki's parents work ? So far this area seems to consist of school, Saki's home and agricultural fields. What about the barrier ? Or the already mentioned ethics committee ? The main cast seems to know the answer to these questions so pls tell me too. I get not wanting to overwhelm the watchers with tons of expositions but this seems to me be a case of keeping things vague just for the sake of it.

The viewer basically knows what the characters know.
Everything is vague until the characters discover whats going on.
That episode was definitely unique. The whole bonobo/free love thing actually makes a lot of sense in the context of that series as youll find out later.

Meguro

Banned
Hi AnimeGAF. After making my debut in MangaGAF already I think it´s about time I posted here as well.

To get an idea of my tastes here are some of my favorites in no particular order:

Gintama
FLCL
Monogatari Series
Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica
Sayonara Zetsoúbou Sensei

I hope we´ll get along!

cajunator

Banned
Hi AnimeGAF. After making my debut in MangaGAF already I think it´s about time I posted here as well.

To get an idea of my tastes here are some of my favorites in no particular order:

Gintama
FLCL
Monogatari Series

I hope we´ll get along!

Yes, yes I think we will get along fine!

Gintama
FLCL
Monogatari Series

I hope we´ll get along!

Welcome!

Should I watch Kiseijuu when it finishes airing or read it now? The anime seems to get a lot of praise but is it worth waiting til it finisheds airing instead of reading it?

Dunno, I personally enjoy binge-watching quite a lot and this series is certainly suited for it as well. So if you aren't bothered by avoiding spoilers/the show's discussion here and don't mind waiting it could be worth it. Either way, I recommend it Parasyte.

phaze

Now its getting real.
talking about anything this early is still massive spoilers though.
may want to marathon from here out or cliffhangers will drive you bonkers.

Does 3 eps per day count as marathoning ? :p I don't think I can manage much more. The bolded is much appreciated.

The viewer basically knows what the characters know.
Everything is vague until the characters discover whats going on.
That episode was definitely unique. The whole bonobo/free love thing actually makes a lot of sense in the context of that series as youll find out later.

They seem to know much more than I at this point. Like with the appearance of that priest in this episode. And surely even a 14 year old would know or would want to know some basic facts about his homeland.

Gintama
FLCL
Monogatari Series

I hope we´ll get along!

I like you already. Welcome !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom