• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCG

Code Geass R2 22

Ah, I should bring up something from earlier on.

If you're even remotely curious about how Nunnally is alive, you can go back to episode 18 and notice there are some odd things about the whole escape arrangements that Schneizel set up for her. There's a ridiculously detailed explanation available online but, in short, there were two shuttles instead of one.

Her assistant lady was in the decoy ship that Rolo saw get blown up by the explosion, but the ninja maid was with Nunnally in a different one. This isn't made too clear to the viewer unless you go in looking for it. I think it works out, considering Schneizel had just confirmed that Lelouch was Zero one episode before, which made Nunnally his obvious weakness.

Midonin

Humans, animal girls and magic.

A great combination, but remember, Dog Days'' is airing in the same season. And I'm pretty sure both shows will have nearly the same amount of yuri.

Midonin

The plot for the new Yatterman series has been revealed. It's telling a story of a world where the Yatterman have won, and established a kingdom... that's not a good place. Probably not, like, Akame ga Kill! bad, but you wouldn't want to live there. So, for a franchise that has always had its fame by focusing on the villains, a girl (voiced by Eri Kitamura) shall take on the mantle of Doronjo and start a revolution.

I'm not super familiar with Yatterman (I know it was on AnimeSols a while ago, but the funding didn't go through), so seeing this late night take on it sounds really cool. It's okay if they're like Team Rocket because they were the ones who inspired them. And maybe getting in some ideas for a late night audience, too.

Puruzi

Banned
I'm going to watch Yuri Kuma because the premise is absurd and wacky, and Yuri is awesome. As long as it has good amounts of yuri, I wont be dissapointed

3uZvJHr.jpg

These finally arrived, yesssssss!

The D-Gray man DVD was cheap and plus the Blu-Ray is sold out/out of stock forever so I got this instead.

And the Gintama Movie Blu-Ray I had to get no matter what especially since it's the movie form of the Benizakura Arc. Which is one of my favorite Arc's in Gintama, soooo good.

I really hope Sentai releases the other Gintama Movie Be Forever Yorozuya, because I'd buy the crap out of that Movie in Blu-Ray.

Crocodile

For both this and Rolling Girls I still have NO idea what these shows are about and if I should be hype or not. At least the Rolling Girls PV had some sick fight animation. I need some good fight anime to watch and if Rolling Girls can be like Kill la Kill but with actually good fight animation & choreography and fewer tacked on alien subplots I'd be super down for that.

Syrinx

Cowboy Bebop is on Hulu now. Kinda odd that it wasn't already, but it's there now. Only the first four episodes though.

Clov

Maybe we should wait for the whole context of the recurring imagery (the staircase, right?) before deciding whether it's fanwank or not. Plenty of directors have little recurring motifs and images throughout their work. Hell, even Oshii does it with that dog of his. It's not a bad thing at all, it's just a nice little nod to their older work. Nothing harmful, really.

I see Ikuhara already rehashing his own works.
It's called postmodernism!
Maybe we should wait for the whole context of the recurring imagery (the staircase, right?) before deciding whether it's fanwank or not. Plenty of directors have little recurring motifs and images throughout their work. Hell, even Oshii does it with that dog of his. It's not a bad thing at all, it's just a nice little nod to their older work. Nothing harmful, really.
Well, it does come across as a production relying on cheap appeals. Ikuhara gotta eat.

Jex

C'mon guys, I think we all need to calm down and give Jarmel some space. I mean, he did refer to Miyazaki as a mere director of children's cartoons so it's understandable that those high standards are hard to hit.

Jarmel

Banned
C'mon guys, I think we all need to calm down and give Jarmel some space. I mean, he did refer to Miyazaki as a mere director of children's cartoons so it's understandable that those high standards are hard to hit.

Jesus, you're fucking hung up on that. And if you're still going to have a stick up your ass, quote it correctly.

Jarmel

Banned
That's bullshit and you know it. Because no one can advocate those cut is totally bad just because its been done before, like Itano's Circus or Imaishi's Manga cut.

Oh come on, repeating overt symbolism is fairly different than someone imitating another's animation style. Not to mention for that to be even valid, I would have to be accusing Itano or Imaishi of doing it.

Also Itano Circus is a fairly good way of capturing missile barrages in regards to the camera angles.

Clov

Well, it does come across as a production relying on cheap appeals. Ikuhara gotta eat.

Eh, it didn't come across like that to me, but I understand your point. I think there's going to be some lower-hanging fruit in this series than Utena references, though.

Not sure if this is something terrible that actually happened or if I'm somehow being made fun of. :p

Edit: Apparently it's the former.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
It is when it's nostalgia fanwank.

"Nostalgia" is a meaningless critical buzzword that only gets bandied about in the absence of anything deserving actual complaint. If the protagonist walks up a staircase to the same song every episode to duel someone, then there's cause for the knives to come out, but extrapolating "Ikuhara is a hack/out of ideas!" from a single callback to a previous work in promotional material designed in part to court fans of his old works is nonsense.

Jarmel

Banned
"Nostalgia" is a meaningless critical buzzword that only gets bandied about in the absence of anything deserving actual complaint. If the protagonist walks up a staircase to the same song every episode to duel someone, then there's cause for the knives to come out, but extrapolating "Ikuhara is a hack/out of ideas!" from a single callback to a previous work in promotional material designed in part to court fans of his old works is nonsense.

It was a joke/lighthearted comment.

Jex

Jesus, you're fucking hung up on that. And if you're still going to have a stick up your ass, quote it correctly.

I mean, you're right, quoting the whole thing is only fair. Perhaps I should permalink it somewhere so that it remains available for accurate quoting in perpetuity:

Quite frankly I don't think Miyazaki is that great of a director. While I do think he's very good at creating simplistic children films, I feel that he's very limited at what he's capable of when he steps outside his box.
Strangely enough, I still haven't seen The Wind Rises which should tell you how excited I am to sit down with another work from the senile Miyazaki.

Jarmel

Banned
I mean, you're right, quoting the whole thing is only fair. Perhaps I should permalink it somewhere so that it remains available for accurate quoting in perpetuity:

Oh and here's another post that I did:
The way he tells his stories all have this heart warming tone to them and as such, they all feel really limited in what they accomplish. I didn't really like Kiki for this exact reason because it all feels rote. It feels like the characters are there to pander to someone rather than feel like characters in their own right. There have been directors who have done children movies but done much more in the context of their individual films or works, than what I feel Miyazaki has accomplished.

I don't think his films have a good sense of atmosphere either now that I think about it.

I'll admit I'm being overly harsh but I think Kiki, Howl, Totoro and The Wind Rises all rubbed me the wrong way.

Note that I didn't say children films were bad in either. So if you're going to try for ad hominems, do a better job of it.

fertygo

Oh come on, repeating overt symbolism is fairly different than someone imitating another's animation style. Not to mention for that to be even valid, I would have to be accusing Itano or Imaishi of doing it.

I thought the subject is bring back your past work just for reasons.

If that's your complaint, than we better wait of better context, that staircase scene might as well only last for 3 sec.

Link Man

Banned
Oh man, thank you for posting this. That grave of the fireflies is cheap, damn. I will now indirectly send this site over to my younger brother so he has an idea of what to get me for Christmas. So the deals last the entire 13 days right? I'll be able to pick up day 1 items on day 12?

Actually, looking at the sale details, it seems that the sale prices will last until December 28.

RightStuf said:
Right Stuf is ready to make your holidays even merrier with 12+ days of savings on selected DVDs, Blu-rays, manga and more from today through 11:59 p.m. CST on December 28, 2014!

How? Just add the item to your shopping cart and check out to save!

(No coupon codes and the sale prices are in red!)

Order early and often! Keep an eye out for counters quantities on some items are limited! Remember the sale ends on December 28, 2014 at 11:59 p.m. CT!

God damn

Lesbian Bear Storm is bringing out the inner bear out of everyone.

Jarmel

Banned
I thought the subject is bring back your past work just for reasons.

If that's your complaint, than we better wait of better context, that staircase scene might as well only last for 3 sec.

I doubt anybody would accuse Abrams of fanwank because of lens flares (they'll accuse him of nostalgia fanwank for a shitload of other reasons though and rightfully so). That's because it's just his visual style. With a number of animators, they have signature styles because that's just how they draw. That's different though than a director knowingly putting a scene/character/object/line, usually in a bad manner, that is a throwback to their or another's prior work.

Yea there might be some great indepth or contextualized reason why there is an identical looking spiral staircase but it seems it's mostly for nostalgia pandering. It's honestly not a big deal, it's a much bigger deal when you have an entire series built around it (Rebuild films), and I was making a joke.

I guess I'll go masturbate to some spiral stairs in the mean time, what is the airing date of Lesbian Bear Storm? 2015 or actually December but most of the show is in 2015?

fertygo

I doubt anybody would accuse Abrams of fanwank because of lens flares (they'll accuse him of nostalgia fanwank for a shitload of other reasons though and rightfully so). That's because it's just his visual style. With a number of animators, they have signature styles because that's just how they draw. That's different though than a director knowingly putting a scene/character/object/line, usually in a bad manner, that is a throwback to their or another's prior work.

Yea there might be some great indepth or contextualized reason why there is an identical looking spiral staircase but it seems it's mostly for nostalgia pandering. It's honestly not a big deal, it's a much bigger deal when you have an entire series built around it (Rebuild films), and I was making a joke.

Yeah, I thought something like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJyYlic8Pto gonna brought upon too.

Exact looking scenes in anime is a thing, as long its not done in Rebuild 3.0 manner, I'm fine with Obari, Nakamura, or whoever always bring back their best hit.

Jarmel

Banned
I guess I'll go masturbate to some spiral stairs in the mean time, what is the airing date of Lesbian Bear Storm? 2015 or actually December but most of the show is in 2015?

Jan 2015

Yeah, I thought something like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJyYlic8Pto gonna brought upon too.

Exact looking scenes in anime is a thing, as long its not done in Rebuild 3.0 manner, I'm fine with Obari, Nakamura, or whoever always bring back their best hit.

There is stuff like the Kanada Dragon which is done almost purely for nostalgia points at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom