• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

Honestly, I don't think even if Sunrise's full attention was on Try, it would be much better than what it is now.

I agree. Try has such a flat script with such boring characters that I can't imagine any amount of talent could make it interesting.

fertygo

Without a doubt.

It's just that the fight choreography and storyboarding in Try has tanked.

Also related =p

Its pretty obvious G-Loco has the attention, Tomino senile vision in cinematography aside, those beautiful mech drawn in very high detail in most part, even at still.

For Try you quite often seeing wonky and low detail drawing, as opposed like in S1.
I agree. Try has such a flat script with such boring characters that I can't imagine any amount of talent could make it interesting.

At least they named like human.

Jarmel

Banned

The team format is what's sinking the show. The show doesn't have enough time to flesh out any of the characters, both the antagonists and protagonists. How do you flesh out an entire team in 23 minutes? It's also clear that the director wants to do these grand solo duels and so tries to shoehorn them in, in the worst ways possible.

fertygo

The team format is what's sinking the show. The show doesn't have enough time to flesh out any of the characters, both the antagonists and protagonists. How do you flesh out an entire team in 23 minutes? It's also clear that the director wants to do these grand solo duels and so tries to shoehorn them in, in the worst ways possible.

Other sport show managed do that just fine, its the standard even. That just their own failing.

Jarmel

Banned
Other sport show managed do that just fine, its the standard even. That just their own failing.

That is true, Haikyuu did a much better job. Maybe if Try was going to with a team format, it should have put more emphasis on a longer form narrative instead of episodic material. Like in Haikyuu, matches go on for multiple episodes. I'm not suggesting necessarily that for Try but rather a narrative where they just don't burn through a ton of teams.

You are what you eat.
izCae8Z7DZKCq.gif

Jex

Like I said, the script in Try is bad. It's tempting to blame the format or the structure but other shows have handled significantly bigger casts with no problems.

fertygo

That is true, Haikyuu did a much better job. Maybe if Try was going to with a team format, it should have put more emphasis on a longer form narrative instead of episodic material. Like in Haikyuu, matches go on for multiple episodes. I'm not suggesting necessarily that for Try but rather a narrative where they just don't burn through a ton of teams.

Best of 3/x would help a lot, like in Saki.

Not related, but I wish you or Basileus visitting Yowamushi Pedal before AOTY started, its did some thing even better than Haikyuu.

Crocodile

Poor script, poor directing, poor formatting, narrative issues. Aren't those all things that would have been improved by better staff? Of course resources like time as well as intent will play a big role in this too but I don't see how better talent wouldn't ave resulted in a better show.

For all the shit that RWBY rightfully gets, that show has some EXCELLENT examples of teams fighting as well........a team. A shame so few anime get this right.

Jarmel

Banned

Not related, but I wish you or Basileus visitting Yowamushi Pedal before AOTY started, its did some thing even better than Haikyuu.

I do plan on watching it, it's just due to my IRL schedule and watching bad anime, I'll have to wait till near January.

fertygo

Poor script, poor directing, poor formatting, narrative issues. Aren't those all things that would have been improved by better staff? Of course resources like time as well as intent will play a big role in this too but I don't see how better talent wouldn't ave resulted in a better show.

For all the shit that RWBY rightfully gets, that show has some EXCELLENT examples of teams fighting as well........a team. A shame so few anime get this right.

What kind of fight that happened in RWBY?

Standard superpower stuff.?

phaze

Saki is narrating the story. She's reliving her memories (you can hear the full adult -and all knowing- Saki's voice, ominously commenting the happening of the episode, and lamenting how little her young self knew). But she narrates from her point of view at the time of the episode: so if the in-episode Saki didn't know something, then you aren't told either. You'll find out together with her, as the events unfold.

I'd have no qualms if it were so but that doesn't seem to be the case. The viewer is denied some basic info about functioning of this society that seems to be common knowledge among the main cast.

You must be one of those people who have never heard of the Hyuuga Master plan.

Pity.

I assume this master plan involves subjugation of world population by a racist, cowardly, dick of an uncle/father by the virtue of seal induced, life long slavery or standing around and doing nothing when your children are subjected to it.

[G-Reco] - 11

Still better than GBF: TRY.

We have the luxury of two bad Gundam shows airing at the same time.

I might give it a try in January, but I've really been poor at tackling my anime backlog the past 6 months, so 50 episodes might be too much. I can't even remember what shows I've watched that weren't currently airing since I finished Maison Ikkoku. I still haven't finished Touch.

fertygo

I might give it a try in January, but I've really been poor at tackling my anime backlog the past 6 months, so 50 episodes might be too much. I can't even remember what shows I've watched that weren't currently airing since I finished Maison Ikkoku. I still haven't finished Touch.

Too much Dragon Age?

I still remember when you catch up on Ippo for like a week lulz

Too much Dragon Age?

I still remember when you catch up on Ippo for like a week lulz

Maybe I just burned out a bit. The first few months of the year I watched a lot of anime. Since then I've been keeping up with new stuff and not much more, and yeah a lot of it has been playing video games instead.

Actually, I think a lot of it is because I haven't been drinking much. Though I'm not sure if alcohol drove me to anime or anime drove me to alcohol.

fertygo

Maybe I just burned out a bit. The first few months of the year I watched a lot of anime. Since then I've been keeping up with new stuff and not much more, and yeah a lot of it has been playing video games instead.

Actually, I think a lot of it is because I haven't been drinking much. Though I'm not sure if alcohol drove me to anime or anime drove me to alcohol.

That's fucked up.. Yeah its much easier to schedule for just watching ongoing even if you watching bad one. Being the story for me too, its easy to sit out an 20 minute episode or two per day.

That's fucked up..
I was joking with the drinking thing, if that didn't come through.
Yeah its much easier to schedule for just watching ongoing even if you watching bad one. Being the story for me too, its easy to sit out an 20 minute episode or two per day.
But yeah, it's easier to just watch a few current episodes a week than to tackle a whole show from the backlog. Or I at least find it so.

phaze

The plot for the new Yatterman series has been revealed. It's telling a story of a world where the Yatterman have won, and established a kingdom... that's not a good place. Probably not, like, Akame ga Kill! bad, but you wouldn't want to live there. So, for a franchise that has always had its fame by focusing on the villains, a girl (voiced by Eri Kitamura) shall take on the mantle of Doronjo and start a revolution.

I'm not super familiar with Yatterman (I know it was on AnimeSols a while ago, but the funding didn't go through), so seeing this late night take on it sounds really cool. It's okay if they're like Team Rocket because they were the ones who inspired them. And maybe getting in some ideas for a late night audience, too.

Oh my GOD, oh my GOD, oh my dear Lord and Saviour.
q2zydlhkuq.gif

yatterman-victory-posw3ues.gif

This and tiger mask were probably the first c̶a̶r̶t̶o̶o̶n̶s̶ tfu anime I have ever seen. But I'm fairly sure Yattamen were the good guys. Doronbo gang are the bad ones.

And apparently there already was a remake of this in 2008. o_@ I must watch this.

Sailor Moon Crystal 11

That's some crappy alarm system they have if the enemies just sat there the whole time watching and it didn't go off sooner...

A former ally gets turned evil, the legendary silver crystal gets taken and lots of full length transformation sequences.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon Crystal Episode 11:

You know, it is not often that I will praise the 1990s anime series above the original manga and its surrogate Crystal but this is one of those times. First off the original series had the good sense to move most of the boring evil Endymion to earlier in the season and also it raised the stakes to the appropriate level. In short, this felt like a mid-season episode that got jolted to the penultimate episode in the last two minutes and is pretty boring because of it.

:D

I'm really liking the chemistry between the two. Looking forward to what happens next!
Just watch the tv show and the oavs too.
Kampfer - 05

Alright, now I can see why she's considered best girl. And I agree.
Good episode right ?
Kampfer - 06

Shame that Shizuku
is into male Natsuru and not female Natsuru
. I already had so many scenarios spinning in my head. There's always doujins. :D

Don't worry , nothing is set in stone, i mean you still have episodes to watch **wink**

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Judging the two current Gundam shows against each other isn't going to tell us anything!

Well, going by more objective means, I admit I only watched two episodes of G-Reco, but the reason was because the series feels less like a cohesive whole and more like a series of barley connected fever dreams. I mean, isn't that why everybody is reveling in G-Reco, for the goofy Tominoisms? Gundam Build Fighters Try has thus far delivered an underwhelming performance due to a lot of little things from a less compelling supporting cast, a lack of team chemistry, an over-reliance on a finishing move like this was a mech series out of the 1990s, and taking itself way too seriously. It has been a show that it a couple of notches below season one, but to call it a season so bad that it is not only shattering the very image if Build Fighters but also worse then G-Reco, a series that can't get basics of storytelling down correctly is pure hyperbole.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Log Horizon Season 2, Episode 10:

Right, well then, I appreciate the effort being put into the characterization of one William Massachusetts and his Silver Sword guild, but by and large this episode fell flat with me, mainly because William kept banging on about the same basic point for about 15 minutes. I get it, the raid guild got their asses nailed to the wall and the challenge seems insurmountable and since they have defined themselves by raiding they are facing the complete loss of identity. The fundamentals are all sound the problem is they did not update the execution and thus it really felt like I was reading the book, I.E. William's endless speech was some very literary storytelling that was not freshen up for the televised medium.

Kokoro Connect - 17 / Final-er thoughts.

I've never had the first 3 minutes of an episode drop my opinion of a show that I was sincerely warming up to so quickly. I'm not even going to get into how the author all but screwed the pooch with the introduction of our "thugs" and the stupidity of all characters involved when they realized one of their friends might be in trouble. It's an addition to a long line of contrived nonsense that the author's thrown in this series at key points in order to create some hollow sense of tension at the cost of having his character arcs fully realized.

I'll only say that i'm disappointed.

Episodes 14-16 represented everything the show could have been. I said before my main issues with the series were a combination of how the character arcs were handled, our goody goody MC devoid of any sort character defining traits, and the inconsistent intervention mechanics that contributed to just a complete lack of tension going from one conflict to another. These episodes do away with a lot of the randomness that came about with our author throwing in bullshit to motivate a person to see the next episode and found a way to balance the internal struggles of the group caused by the intervention along with the external, school and life related conflicts, that our individual characters had to deal with as well. While our MC was still more or less a blank slate he was forced to collaborate with other characters in the cast in order to solve the issues that were set before him. The mechanics, for once, worked in such a way as to push the character development and overall narrative in a meaningful direction. It wasn't until episode 16 that I started seeing signs that our author was planning to fall back into his ... other tendencies, and then episode 17 all but confirmed that my worries were well placed.

I would not recommend this show.

Damn DiscoShark, you dislike the normal run of Kokoro Connect but actually find s.th. in the OVAs where, in my mind, everyone engages full idiot-mode? With how dumb everyone acts during those OVAs there doesn't even need to be some strange phenomena fucking 'em up, they do that just fine by themselves.

Hmm, looking back I think Kokoro Connect 14-16 started presenting themes that were hearkening back to Flower of Evil, a show that I absolutely adored and rate as one of my all time favorites. The themes it was presenting - the struggle between one's ideal values and the values that ultimately lay at the core of their being, and the doing away with complying to social conventions in order to be accepted by the world around you - were ones that were presented masterfully within the narrative and I immediately latched on to Kokoro's OVA when it looked like it might start tackling them in a significant way. Our author was not up to the challenge.

Edit : I can't say I enjoyed the show but I did sincerely enjoy going through and deconstructing my thoughts on each episode. That much, and the occasional comment from someone interested in my impressions, motivated me to keep on at it. Thanks AnimeGAF, you guys are dabess.

Useless Log horizon trivia ( no spoilers )
When william says "let's plant our flag" that's because there is a system where the first guild or party that clear a big event ( like a raid ) get recognised and has his name written forever in the final dongeon room ( where you get your loot ).

Just wanted to explain this part in case some people missed that.
It's also why the debauchery tea party is such a legend , because they were the first to clear MANY MANY hard events despite the fact that they weren't a guild untill they broke up

This was obviously going to be skipped in the anime so here it is

cajunator

Banned
I've been busy with school and Dragon age, so I have been away from anime the past couple of weeks. What have I missed? How is Fate/Stay night? last episode I saw was the fight between archer and caster, should I continue watching it or should I just drop it? How is Parasyte looking?

I am ashamed to say I only own one of those (Akira) and have yet to watch Death Note :(

Parasyte is EXCELLENT. Youll love it.

That rightstuf sale is looking good. Currently looking at From the New World, Welcome to the NHK and Grave of the Fireflies. I still haven't seen FtNW. Looks like I'll have to check it out sometime before that sale ends.

Great choices. and definitely watch FTNW. Its one of the best series in recent years.

Fairy Tail 211

I've read a doujin like this once. The Lucy/Virgo parts, I mean.

Read or Die The TV 03-05

Anita is a bit of a brat, but she's cute as well, so I have sympathy for her. Moving to a new place is never easy, and being surrounded by something you're not sure you like all the more so. The mysteries are growing, but for the most part, things are really placid. Like, really placid. It's not a daily life series, but the tone is bordering on that at times. Except for episode 5, that was a classic action movie heist, and the music-themed villain was just campy enough to be fun. I wonder what role Nenene has to play in things beyond knowing Yomiko.

The new girls are really fun characters and Michelle is my favorite but the show does seem unfocused at first. It does tie directly into the OVA eventually.

HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGG
Anime saved. Ikuhara delivers.

It is when it's nostalgia fanwank.

Nothing wrong with nostalgic nods to past works!

iF4vO7k.jpg

<72 hours until DAL Encore 3's release. I'd better make the most of this weekend, since it may be my last.

Kurumi da goddess.

Midonin

Sailor Moon Crystal 11

This version of the Evil Mamoru storyline is even sillier than the toku version. Once again, PGSM has the best version of nearly everything.

Vanadis 10

I liked the special ending theme, and the show is holding my interest, but I don't have much to say. There hasn't really been an episode like episode 1 since episode 1. I'm just not much of a tactics guy.

fertygo

Log Horizon S2

#GAMERSGATE speech.

Yeah I just can't like these kind of speech, justifying your fall to shihole is lame.. I know the speech itself contain decent amount of self-blaming but shit still sounds pandering to those game addict, saying thing that they want to hear, and this came from me that still suffer from same kind of problem.

Vanadis 10

I was expecting huge QUALITY in this episode because Satelight can't even give us preview video of episode 10.

Well most part end up looks alright, good to see that, but there's some scene i wonder did CG team forget put Tigre army's CG soldiers to there? CG kebab army "dancing" lol?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom