• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Molotov

iF4vO7k.jpg

<72 hours until DAL Encore 3's release. I'd better make the most of this weekend, since it may be my last.

zDcVMV4.gif
]

VRMN

The RSi sale has finally gotten me to purchase my top series from the past several years that I largely didn't own because streaming removed a lot of the guilt tripping of prior years. Still:

Non Non Biyori - 2013 AotY
Say "I Love You" - 2012 AotY
Kids on the Slope - 2012 runner-up
Humanity Has Declined - 2012 #3
AnoHana - 2011 AotY
Penguin Drum - 2011 runner-up

Not a bad haul for $200, I think. I'd have probably bought Oregairu (My Teen Romantic Comedy Snafu) too, but I really hesitate to buy anything on DVD anymore.

Midonin

Chocotto Sister Advent Calendar Day 06

The title suggested a bath episode, but only a few minutes of it was spent there. The rest of it was Haruma's attraction to the flower shop girl, and tickets to a Tarantino movie were involved. Going by the preview, most of this was romantic foreshadowing for the next episode.

Rainbow - 02

This definetly keeps on being rather dark. With Jou's orphanage rape and the market for selling children, in this case his little sister.
But it also has light moments as the group of boys show dedication and kindness to each other, like the escape. In this place the only thing they have is each other, and they do right to treasure it.

phaze

Shin Sekai Yori 9

Things are certainly heating up. A very welcome return to the more suspenseful and horrory bits. The short conversation with parents came a long way towards dispelling my earlier annoyances.
In the first episode I thought that Saki's mother didn't look old enough to have multiple children without Saki remembering them and I suppose memory removal is how this particular situation came to be.

Kokoro Connect - 17 / Final-er thoughts.

I've never had the first 3 minutes of an episode drop my opinion of a show that I was sincerely warming up to so quickly.

Yeh, that really took the show to another low.
Threatening one of the protagonists with rape in the very last episode in order to increase tension and drama...really now.

Edit : I can't say I enjoyed the show but I did sincerely enjoy going through and deconstructing my thoughts on each episode. That much, and the occasional comment from someone interested in my impressions, motivated me to keep on at it. Thanks AnimeGAF, you guys are dabess.

That's the nice thing, with a proper discussion board there's still s.th. to be had even with bad anime. Was really interesting to read your thoughts on the episodes. While I didn't quite agree with your opinion on a lot stuff I also didn't think you said anything wrong really. So I had to work my brain a bit to figure out why I did enjoy my walkthrough of the show despite not considering your arguments outright wrong. It's mostly just valuing aspects differently. Like how I didn't feel like the Taichi was quite so terrible as a MC, how well the premise is dealt with etc.

edit:
Oh snap, it's FSN UBW night.

I don't know, I think I'll pass. For some reason it's always a tough decision for me to finally drop a show, but just a tad later I often already realize that yeh, I really never cared for it. There's no way in hell UBW is actually going to turn out decent, so I'll just feast on your impressions instead.

Clov

The RSi sale has finally gotten me to purchase my top series from the past several years that I largely didn't own because streaming removed a lot of the guilt tripping of prior years. Still:

AnoHana - 2011 AotY

Not a bad haul for $200, I think. I'd have probably bought Oregairu (My Teen Romantic Comedy Snafu) too, but I really hesitate to buy anything on DVD anymore.

Wait! If you care about video quality at all, stop that order somehow! The Penguindrum BDs are notoriously bad looking. For whatever reason they're done in 1080i and, from what I've heard and seen, look awful. If Sentai ever does a complete collection, there's a chance they could redo the disks and encode them properly (like they did with Moretsu Pirates), but as they are right now... you might not be satisfied with them.

Blusby

Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works 09: Zzzzzzzzz
Well at least that preview for the episode means that next week should be amazin'.

I just want to make a note that playing through the Fate/stay night VN and trying to get all the Tiger Dojo scenes first is both the best (Hilarity) and worst (Why are there so many? Its taking to damn long to finish!) idea I've had in awhile.

VRMN

I just want to make a note that playing through the Fate/stay night VN and trying to get all the Tiger Dojo scenes first is both the best (Hilarity) and worst (Why are there so many? Its taking to damn long to finish!) idea I've had in awhile.

I did that while playing the game the first time. It helped that I had a flowchart.

Clov said:
Wait! If you care about video quality at all, stop that order somehow! The Penguindrum BDs are notoriously bad looking. For whatever reason they're done in 1080i and, from what I've heard and seen, look awful. If Sentai ever does a complete collection, there's a chance they could redo the disks and encode them properly (like they did with Moretsu Pirates), but as they are right now... you might not be satisfied with them.

Ugh...how bad? Sentai tends to license my favorite shows, but they also seem to fail on video quality a lot. So does Funi, for that matter. It's part of why I tend to not buy shows that were available streaming unless, like those six, they were absolutely incredible.

Clov

Ugh...how bad? Sentai tends to license my favorite shows, but they also seem to fail on video quality a lot. So does Funi, for that matter. It's part of why I tend to not buy shows that were available streaming unless, like those six, they were absolutely incredible.

Sentai also tends to license the shows I like the best, and thankfully their video quality has improved. It's not on par with say, Aniplex, but it's much better than it was. As for how bad the Penguindrum BDs look, well, take a look for yourself:

Screenshots are somewhat big, so just use view image to take a nice look at them.

SAO II Ep. 22

Man this writer really loves giving his characters the shittiest lives, doesnt he?

"Sleeping Knights" now makes sense.

I also just noticed the camera on Asuna's shoulder in the ED.

Clov

I'm going to cry. This and Viz's horrible Sailor Moon remasters...what did Ikuhara ever do to them!?

At least Nozomi did right by Utena.

True, but Nozomi is still irking me by not releasing the BDs. I'm going to hold onto the hope that that will change by next year. :p

I'm also going to keep hoping that Sentai will redo the Penguindum BDs for a complete collection next year. They've done it before, so maybe they'll do it again. Maybe!

Sailor Moon's pretty much a lost cause, though. Viz does not seem willing to improve on the quality of those in any way.

SAO II Ep. 22

Man this writer really loves giving his characters the shittiest lives, doesnt he?

"Sleeping Knights" now makes sense.

I also just noticed the camera on Asuna's shoulder in the ED.

I admit, this episode made me sad. I'm kind of surprised they
played the AIDS card in an anime
, though. I don't recall that ever happening before.

Midonin

SAO II 22

This tragedy was handled better than many arcs in SAO before, but still. Damn. That's harsh, man.

Waremete 10

That's also harsh. Time loops are never easy on people, and there's a very
Homura-esque
feel to this. Even worse, Yui can't explain what's really going on because nobody would believe her. All the mundane stuff beforehand was building up to something that's actually pretty intriguing. This is the advantage of a VN having all the story beforehand.

Fate/stay night UBW 09

Not quite as harsh, and also not filled with as many twists as Waremete,
but I am ready for the blonde to get his ass handed to him in the quickest, most satisfying way possible. Even if that won't happen until the 2nd half.

e_i

Welcome to the Space Show

It kind of got convoluted at the end, but it was still pretty good. Looks gorgeous on Blu-ray. Also,
Ink
is BEST character. And Amane puts the moves on Pochi at the end there. That scene was hilarious. Everybody got embarrassed. So the girls
kicked ass while the boys still almost nothing..

Fate/stay night UBW 09

Not as bad as the previous episode, but that's because this was a calmer, more boring episode. At least it seems old Archer can come into play, that could be fun.

Fate/stay night UBW 09

Not quite as harsh, and also not filled with as many twists as Waremete, but I am ready for
the blonde to get his ass handed to him in the quickest, most satisfying way possible. Even if that won't happen until the 2nd half.

Thanks for the spoiler.

cajunator

Banned
Nyanpasu!

ibdEdL1cvn8Gus.JPG

Luckyyyyyyyy

Kampfer - 13

OhG1dIS.gif

Its nice to see you back!

AnoHana - 2011 AotY

Thats a great haul but yeah the Penguindrum pq is a little rough.

Shin Sekai Yori 9

Things are certainly heating up. A very welcome return to the more suspenseful and horrory bits. The short conversation with parents came long towards dispelling my earlier annoyances.
In the first episode I thought that Saki's mother didn't look old enough to have multiple children without Saki remembering them and I suppose memory removal is how this particular situation came to be.

Thats the least egregious thing that society gets away with really.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Fate/stay Kitchen

Man you guys are gonna hate this episode.

VRMN

Thats a great haul but yeah the Penguindrum pq is a little rough.

I'm heavily considering killing the Penguindrum BDs and replacing them with the From the New World BDs. Only reason I didn't buy them is because the show's buried in my CR queue around episode 7 and I don't want to buy something without having seen it first, at least not when I can easily see it as part of my CR sub. Might have to marathon it next week to see if it's a worthy trade.

cajunator

Banned
I'm heavily considering killing the Penguindrum BDs and replacing them with the From the New World BDs. Only reason I didn't buy them is because the show's buried in my CR queue around episode 7 and I don't want to buy something without having seen it first, at least not when I can easily see it as part of my CR sub. Might have to marathon it next week to see if it's a worthy trade.

Ohh it is believe me.
but FTNW benefits heavily from watching it the first time.
Not sure if youd watch it again knowing everything that happens. But that doesnt stop me from rewatching either.

Midonin

You even specified when it's going to happen (2nd half), so it was implied you knew it would happen, from the VN or the previous anime or whatever.
It wasn't based on anything specific - more about how these kinds of anime are paced. And "second half" is a really broad span of time.

I will be careful to avoid such phrasings in the future that may read like a spoiler, though.

phaze

Fate/stay night 9

A mixture of complete dullness, terrible humor and a few interesting developments + a glance of Kirei. (F/Z based speculation.)
So I'm assuming Shinji's new servant will probably be Gilga ? Didn't see that coming. He and Kirei are such a bunch of cheats.

Clov

It's worth it for sure. From the New World is a great anime, and the picture quality on the BDs isn't awful like the Penguindrum BDs. Definitely finish watching it first to see if it's for you, though.

Meguro

Banned
Even though it´s delayed, thanks for the welcome!

SAO II 22

If this is supposed to be the height of SAO´s emotional moments, then I really don´t wanna know where it goes next. I almost started laughing when the doctor said
AIDS

Pooya

chuck a tizz over potential "spoilers" for a 10 year old vn brehs

I don't care about spoilers but I understand the sensitivity of others (well because I got flamed hard by somebody once, a mod here now for spoiling something OUCH). People that know f/sn for what it is probably think it's not worth all the fuss (I agree but that's not the point) but others might still want to find out for themselves. It's not like f/sn is some classic work of art, like how some people here were complaining about Les Miserables spoilers two years ago, holy jebus... not knowing that would be kinda sad for that person.

------
I hate adaptations, anime originals are the best, people can actually freely discuss what they think could happen, so much more exciting and silly fun (like aldnoah zero thread, sogood. I enjoy that very much more than the bad show itself). Unfortunately it's so hard to have that with adaptations. Dodging Shin Sekai Yori and Attack on Titan spoilers were the worst for me. One was worth it the other nope, can't be helped still.

SAOII 22

Brutal. Poor Yuuki. She is probably the only likable character that's come out of 40+ episodes of SAO (besides Klein of course).

Noragami - 01

This was pretty good. Both Yato and Hiyori are likable and charming in their own way. Their reactions overall are very amusing.
The other supernatural elements design appeals to me aswell, so that's another thing I look forward to what they'll make of it further down the road.
Seems to be lots of pantsu, take that as you will. I'm surprised she hasn't gotten cat ears with that tail yet.

fertygo

SAO - 22

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Someone, please hold me the fuck up... this is so fucking unreal, Jarmel pls, firehawk pls.

CorvoSol

Fate/Zero 11

Let me start by saying this was a great episode, and here's why:

Saber is utter shit as a character. Absolute shit from every angle. Animation wise she's fucking hideous to behold, her motivation doesn't jive with either the pseudohistorical nor popular, legendary Arthur, nothing about the hilarious charade they'd have had to enact to fool medieval-or-pre-medieval Anglos into believing she was a man and letting her ascend the throne holds up to an ounce of scrutiny, she can't hold her own in any fight ever (requiring, without fail, that men bail her out) and frankly she's a bore in conversation.

I mean take a minute and think her through with me. If she's the pseudohistorical Arthur who repels the Saxon invasion, then why is she so obsessed with saving Britain from destruction? She already did. If she's the legendary Arthur and is referring to the end of his reign over Britain, with Lancelot's and Mordred's insurrections, that raises a shitton of other questions. Remember that Britain was saved from that, too. Arthur's realm either passes into the hands of his surviving sons or into the hands of his kinsman Constantine, but the point is that Britain outlasts Arthur, Lancelot and Mordred, so it isn't destroyed.

Where the fuck would Mordred even come from, though? Arthur couldn't sire him or anybody else in this version of the story, so the traitor who does him in simply doesn't exist. All that leaves is Lancelot, except Lancelot's treachery doesn't happen until Arthur is an old man and the flashback makes it look like this British Apocalypse happened when Saber was still exactly the same age she is in the show. What's more is that Lancelot's entire treachery begins to unravel with Arthur as a woman. How in the world did they ever manage to carry the farce far enough to get Arthur a wife? In what world do dark age thinkers let women get married?

But let's hit that flashback again because that shit pissed me off to no end. In it, we clearly see Saber in the exact fucking dress she wears in the show. Remember that Saber allegedly posed as a man her whole life and basically nobody knew she was a girl. How? She wore a fucking skirt to war. That doesn't make any sense. If I was a woman pretending to be a man I can't think of a better way to fuck that up than to forego the gender hiding platemail of my day and wear a fucking ball gown to battle. Also, her hair is long in this scene. Now, it isn't that uncommon for men to have long hair back in those days, sure, but you're telling me that nobody at any point saw Arthur's pretty face and flowing hair and said "Hey but doesn't the King look rather like a lass?"

Absolutely nothing about her backstory holds up. It works for Joan of Arc, sure, because Joan of Arc actually did see France destroyed and would want to stop the shit that happened to it. Joan didn't wear skirts into battle because only fucking idiots do that, but the character's fundamental motivation makes so much more sense that way. It's sad when a stark raving lunatic knows the character better than the writers do.

The rest I've gone into detail before, how Saber constantly needs saving even though she's supposed to be the mightiest of all these warriors (despite her having displayed exactly 0 powers compared to literally every other character), how she never ever lightens up, and how everything related to her, Irisviel and Kiritsugu is just a boring fucking drag written to appease the Newtype Magazine voters.

But let's bring this back to the point I want to make. The reason this episode is good because for the first fucking time somebody actually points out how much Saber fucking sucks. Rider just tears her to pieces and he's spot on on each and every point about this sanctimonious little shit playing dress up and pretending she's Xena Warrior Princess. To emphasize his point, he shows her that any King worth his salt has friends and doesn't whine like a bitch about being alone, pulls out his red materia, summons Knights of the Round, and beats the shit out of the Ass Creed Player's Convention just to prove his point. All this in the middle of a fucking drinking contest him and Gilgamesh are having while she sits there and mopes.

Because a fucking Anglo king somehow isn't going to be a heavy drinker.

The point I'm making is that Rider opens his mouth, flat out says what we're all thinking "You're not a king, you're a little girl." and then proves it again and again in a glorious display of what a fucking war-king is like. And it is magical. So magical, in fact, I will be downright livid when this show pulls the inevitable and unfair move of killing Rider so that Saber can find her balls and do some shit and win, since her awful, terribly drawn face is the face of this franchise.

Because the writer once jerked off to a copy of The Mists of Avalon and has been desperately trying to justify it ever since.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom