• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

Midonin

I liked Rider/Iskandar, but not because he was a "bro" (I've never really liked that word), but because he was magnanimous. I also don't have a problem with Saber, but I'm also an odd one in that my favorite part of the Fate/ verse is Prisma Illya.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Again if you're even getting disheartened the first time you wipe, you shouldn't be doing hard raids.

The whole episode can be summed up mostly with a Simpsons quote.

"I thought you wanted a challenge?"

"Yea, a challenge I could do."

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I'm not going to claim that Wakamoto isn't a large ham (because he certainly is), but personally I thought he was great in Legend of the Galactic Heroes and Planetes.

Its not that I have a problem with people liking that kind of character. It's mostly that jaded anime fans rarely recognize the bias and simultaneously criticize the anime industry in general for creating other specific character archetypes they don't like.

Again if you're even getting disheartened the first time you wipe, you shouldn't be doing hard raids.

Again, not about the fact they wiped, but WHY they wiped. It was because the game wasn't designed around multiple raid bosses at once. It was only possible because, like with the goblin training camp, the world of elder tales is no longer a game and the monsters now also have intelligence beyond what they would have in a game. It fundamentally changes the nature of the game if any raid can have multiple bosses strong enough that they're really challenging with a full group team up on you

Also worth noting that there's also the issue of actually dying having consequences (even if it isn't permanent death). It was already noted that most of silver sword quit because they couldn't face dying over and over again. Also worth noting based on the novels it doesn't seem like you are truly counted as dead in a raid unless there's a wipe (since they note that every member of the raid had their hp drop to zero several times before that fight, which would include Shiroe)

Jarmel

Banned
why didn't they just install deadlybossmods

UI is too clean to be an actual MMO.

Also worth noting that there's also the issue of actually dying having consequences (even if it isn't permanent death). It was already noted that most of silver sword quit because they couldn't face dying over and over again. Also worth noting based on the novels it doesn't seem like you are truly counted as dead in a raid unless there's a wipe (since they note that every member of the raid had their hp drop to zero several times before that fight, which would include Shiroe)

Why didn't they just bail the moment three bosses showed up? Healers retreat while others buy time.

UI is too clean to be an actual MMO.

Why didn't they just bail the moment three bosses showed up? Healers retreat while others buy time.

Probably because they were already in the middle of fighting the one boss, so they already had a bunch of members down, plus shock at the circumstances in general. Also, even if they retreated, the issue was never the wipe so much as the fact that even if they tried again the same thing would happen

All you have to do to be popular among the jaded western anime fan segment is shout a lot and say "manly" things every once in a while. All he really does is shout that he likes to drink, fuck and fight and that inherently bounces off of all the other very serious characters. That's not being a good character. That's just a contrast.

But he's not just bouncing off them though.

If he was, his words would mean absolutely nothing in the show, from beginning to end.

The scenes he shares with Waver help him grow as a character over the course of the series. The words he says to Saber in episode 11 help to establish her weakness and flaws. Rider may be the same, big tough badass throughout the entire show, but it's how his words affect all the other characters make him a good character.

If he were just inherently bouncing off all the very serious characters, all that would do would cause them to go: "Oh look how manly you are!" for a quick offhand mention or something. They would not share their morals, their ways of how a King should be, or anything of that sort that would leave a lasting impression on the characters in the show.

From the way you describe it, I wouldn't be surprised if you think Kamina's a bad character too.

VRMN

I'm also an odd one in that my favorite part of the Fate/ verse is Prisma Illya.
My kindred spirit! Prisma Illya is basically the only entry in the entire franchise that has a concept that was actually thought through. It's solidly written, the characters have motivations that make sense, and the action and comedy elements are there without feeling forced. Yeah, there's the unfortunate appeal to a certain demographic, but that doesn't ruin the positive elements for me.

I like Fate/Zero and Kara no Kyoukai and at least the VN versions of F/SN and Tsukihime, but all of them have laughable elements. Prisma Illya has a smaller focus and because of that, it works.

Clov

My kindred spirit! Prisma Illya is basically the only entry in the entire franchise that has a concept that was actually thought through. It's solidly written, the characters have motivations that make sense, and the action and comedy elements are there without feeling forced. Yeah, there's the unfortunate appeal to a certain demographic, but that doesn't ruin the positive elements for me.

I like Fate/Zero and Kara no Kyoukai and at least the VN versions of F/SN and Tsukihime, but all of them have laughable elements. Prisma Illya has a smaller focus and because of that, it works.

Even looking past the unfortunate appeal, season 2 of Prisma Illya was pretty mediocre in comparison to season 1. Season 1 had more and better action scenes in it, and I liked the whole card collecting stuff. Made it feel more like a magical girl show. I felt season two was awfully anemic in comparison.

Midonin

Even looking past the unfortunate appeal, season 2 of Prisma Illya was pretty mediocre in comparison to season 1. Season 1 had more and better action scenes in it, and I liked the whole card collecting stuff. Made it feel more like a magical girl show. I felt season two was awfully anemic in comparison.
Season 2 was more like the current F/SN or F/Z is. It's only half of the story of a much bigger "second season."

NeonZ

Usually that reaction wouldn't be natural, but combine it with the whole "death makes you face your worst failures" information revealed this season, and it isn't surprising that a group that was just wiped out in a situation like that would get down for a bit right after coming back.

Their guild did fall apart and lost most members because they couldn't stand doing that kind of thing anymore, after all.

fertygo

Err fight in S2 was much crazier than S1 if you ask me.

Log Horizon 2-10

What a shitty raid guild. Giving up because y'all died once? Get back to me after you die 10+ times on the same boss.
Pretty sure they've wiped multiple times going through this raid. Granted that was the first time they wiped against that boss.

Chronoexe

R_thanatos We are almost there my friend, but it seems like they are going to skip a lot.

High School DxD BorN Season 3 PV1

CLICK-CLICK ZOOM-ZOOM IYAAAN!!!

wARzTao.jpg

Clov

For those wondering about Mordred in the Fate universe, there was no futa magic involved iirc. A wizard straight up cloned Saber.

Oh, so I was totally wrong about that then. That's much more simple, isn't it?

You know, with all the various versions of Saber running around, why not have an entire fighting game dedicated to them? I know there's Unlimited Codes, but really, just scrap the rest of the cast and throw in all the different Sabers. There's more than enough by this point. It would be pretty silly, I think!

kewlmyc

For those wondering about Mordred in the Fate universe, there was no futa magic involved iirc. A wizard straight up cloned Saber.

http://typemoon.wikia.com/wiki/Saber_(Fate/stay_night)#Kingship
Due to the problem of being able to produce an heir, Merlin used magecraft to turn her into a pseudo-male capable of producing sperm for an unknown duration of time.[8] During this period, she was enchanted by her sister, Morgan le Fay, who took some of Altria's sperm, developed it within her own ovaries, and gave birth to the homunculus and complete clone of Altria, Mordred.

VRMN

Ah, so it essentially was just build-up for its second half, then?

I enjoyed the Kuro arc for its character development, but yes, if you're looking for more action, 2wei Hertz will have plenty of that. 2wei Hertz also very nearly guarantees 3rei will get adapted, which is still better. It's one of the few series like this where I feel it's gotten better as it's gone on. The author has gotten a better hold of the characters, the premise is more solid than "oh, Illya's a magical girl," the plot has some depth to it.

I just wish it didn't have the lolicon pandering or I could recommend it unabashedly.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Oh, so I was totally wrong about that then. That's much more simple, isn't it?

You know, with all the various versions of Saber running around, why not have an entire fighting game dedicated to them? I know there's Unlimited Codes, but really, just scrap the rest of the cast and throw in all the different Sabers. There's more than enough by this point. It would be pretty silly, I think!

That's Mordred btw.

Meh. Whatever. I got the clone part right rofl.

Clov

On the plus side, think of it like this. Maybe the wizard will turn Saber into an actual dude and DTL can troll the shit out of us with an actual Shirou and Saber pairing. =P

The wizard can just swap Saber with her Fate/Prototype version, then. There's a Saber for every occasion, it seems.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
SAO2 -22

Despite no action this episode wasn't too bad. It didn't look like complete garbage visually either which is good.

Alexander the Great was also 5'6", so that's another inaccuracy. Not as major as "Arthur the girl", but still a inaccuracy, same with Gil being a blond bishounen. But if we go on about the heroes being inaccurate to their real life counterparts, we'll be here all day.

Still can't believe the whole "Saber grows a penis for one day in order to have Mordred, who is also a girl who looks just like Saber in order to sell merch" is an actual thing in this series. Making Nero also girl who looks like Saber is even worse in my books. I'm a fan of the series in general, but shit like this is hard to overlook

If I remember right even Waver points out this inconsistency in the bookstore/library in an earlier episode but I can't remember what Rider's response was to that.

As a FYI about Saber and her being a female King Arthur Kinoko Nasu first wrote what would become Fate Stay Night back in high school back in the late 80s/early 90s. When it became a visual novel they had problems with the female lead and that they did not want people thinking this was a shoujo game decided to switch genders. Nasu though was adamant about having King Arthur as the lead when artist Takashi Takeuchi suggested to him to simply swap genders. And that's how that came to be.

A couple years ago when the 10th Anniversary OVA Carnival Phantasm was released, the last disc also included a teaser trailer of what might have been with the original male King Arthur Saber.

This is that animation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rU0p90Z9qHg

Shengar

Alexander the Great was also 5'6", so that's another inaccuracy. Not as major as "Arthur the girl", but still a inaccuracy, same with Gil being a blond bishounen. But if we go on about the heroes being inaccurate to their real life counterparts, we'll be here all day.

There's limit in being historically inaccurate and defying so much common sense.
If I remember right even Waver points out this inconsistency in the bookstore/library in an earlier episode but I can't remember what Rider's response was to that.

As a FYI about Saber and her being a female King Arthur Kinoko Nasu first wrote what would become Fate Stay Night back in high school back in the late 80s/early 90s. When it became a visual novel they had problems with the female lead and that they did not want people thinking this was a shoujo game decided to switch genders. Nasu though was adamant about having King Arthur as the lead when artist Takashi Takeuchi suggested to him to simply swap genders. And that's how that came to be.

A couple years ago when the 10th Anniversary OVA Carnival Phantasm was released, the last disc also included a teaser trailer of what might have been with the original male King Arthur Saber.

This is that animation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rU0p90Z9qHg
That's a pretty shitty reason and shitty solution to it :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom