• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

What happened to you Jex..

I'm just saying, what does the competition look like? Rin, from Fate/Night? Aida from G-Reco? Yuki from Aldnoah? Stephanie from NGNL? Lisa from Terror in Resonance? The Wizard Barristers from Wizard Barristers? The women from Parasyte?

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Rail Wars - 1-12 [END]

VL1Xefe.png

I've seen that look doujins

Another show recommended by Thoraxes. Very enjoyable show with interesting characters and an alright male lead. So many waifus. I just wished Nana got more screen time.

Kampfer - 12-14 [END]

Finished watching this yesterday but can't remember if I posted about it. Anyway, love the series. I want to honor Kaede for her fierce effort in preserving the garden, we need more characters like that these days. Shizuku is best girl by a mile and was so happy when she was fondling female Natsuru and said she was fine being with girls too. Thank the heavens.

fertygo

I'm just saying, what does the competition look like? Rin, from Fate/Night? Aida from G-Reco? Yuki from Aldnoah? Stephanie from NGNL? Lisa from Terror in Resonance? The Wizard Barristers from Wizard Barristers? The women from Parasyte?

Jex pls...

Also girl from Shirobako should also mentioned. But most of my favorite show is very heavy to DTL side doe admittedly.

Not that the shows do have good male characters either.

[Cross Ange] - 10

Ange is clearly one of this years' best women in anime.

I say this unironically.

It's interesting how the show can have rape allusions and be so heavy heanded in fanservice, and at the same time be one of the few shows this year with a woman as sole main character (shows where there isn't a main character but a group aren't exactly the same) and she isn't doing typical female SoL stuff while being cute, but doing the typical hero's journey and kicking asses.

Shengar

It's interesting how the show can have rape allusions and be so heavy heanded in fanservice, and at the same time be one of the few shows this year with a woman as sole main character (shows were there isn't a main character but a group aren't exactly the same) and she isn't doing typical female SoL stuff while being cute, but doing the typical hero's journey and kicking asses.

It's a very unfortunate at that, really.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Yuki Yuna is a Hero 9
Damn, that emotional breakdown. I think the most disturbing thing in this episode is Togo admitting that she tried all kind of suicide method to test fairy protection.
A very well directed episode. There's no way this series going to end in a happy note....

Pooya

Cross Ange is anime equivalent of a Paul Verhoeven movie, it will be appreciated for what it truly is some years later but for now it will be just that trashy anime with a lot of ott violence and sexual content to viewers.
we're not worthy. I like Ange's attitude, it's quite refreshing...

fertygo

Are some post above implying female character that acting "badass" automatically means that character's good?

Thewireshakinghead.gif

Meguro

Banned
I can´t tell if any of you are serious about Cross Ange or not. Like, what is even happening?

Fate/stay night 9

Man, if this series does not have any action one episode it get´s real boring, real fast.
Am I supposed to care about Shirou at this point? I sure hope not, since he´s bland as fuck

faridmon

All of them are terrible female characters, if that is the crop we have to reference against, then ANIME IS DEAD!!!!

Akane from Psycho-Pass

e_i

Precure episode 43

Wow, now there's a magical girl attack to finish all magical girl attacks.

Kiss and hug your (girl) enemy to death!

Quick, watch SDBurton, he might have a heart attack after watching this.

Jex

Hey, you can still have good characters in bad shows!
Bah, she just stole Kiryuin Satsuki's "You are all pigs!" schtick.

Now that's not fear. We all know that Ange has had more time to develop as a character than Satsuki ever had!

Mr. RHC

Fate/Stay Night Unlimited Blade Works

Watched 2 episodes of this and I can confidently say that it is the Final Fantasy XIII of anime. It's really bad.

StormKing

Ange reminds me of Lelouch. A prideful and vengeful former royal on a path of carnage and ruin. She will liberate the normas and destroy her corrupt world. All Hail Princess Angelise!!!

JCG

Ange reminds me of Lelouch. A prideful and vengeful former royal on a path of carnage and ruin. She will liberate the normas and destroy her corrupt world. All Hail Princess Angelise!!!

Lelouch certainly did not invent being a vengeful former royal, but Ange is a really lame version who doesn't deserve to be hailed.

I think the main difference is that Lelouch was almost from the start a warrior*-hero in his quest of vengeance, or at least from the end of episode 2, while Ange does two journeys:
from the top to the bottom (from prideful, beautiful but ignorant princess to being part of the dregs of society, a beggar, a subhuman, a slave in a prison) and from bottom to the top again (from someone who saw herself as a monster and didn't recognize her peers and had a wish death to a warrior-hero who will make justice and cleanse society).

*strategist in his case.

Oh snap, finally some news on Gangsta!

Broadcast: July 2015
Studio: manglobe
Director: Murase Shukou
Series Director: Hatsumi Kouichi
Series Composition: Inotsume Shinichi
Character Design: Ueda Youichi
Music: TSUTCHIE
Official website: http://gangsta-project.com/

Cast:

Nicolas Brown: Tsuda Kenjirou
Worick Arcangelo: Suwabe Jun'ichi
Alex Benedetto: Noto Mamiko
Chad Adkins: Kaneo Tetsuo
Cody Balfour: Ishikawa Kaito
Theo: Mikami Satoshi
Nina: Yuuki Aoi
Daniel Monroe: Houki Katsuhisa
Miles Meyer: Koyama Tsuyoshi
Yang: Maeno Tomoaki
Delico: Hashizume Tomohisa
Ivan Glaziev: Kirimoto Takuya
Gina Paulklee: Sakakibara Yoshiko
Ginger: Komatsu Mikako
Doug: Yoshino Hiroyuki
Loretta Cristiano Amodio: Ueda Kana
Marco Adriano: Sakurai Takahiro
Galahad Woehor: Inada Tetsu

Yes I've been waiting for this manga to be adapted, hell yes. I hope it turns out good.

What kind of show is this?

Otoge crap?

It's definitely not Otoge crap.

Here's the Synopsis

In the city of Ergastulum, a shady ville filled with made men and petty thieves, whores on the make and cops on the take, there are some deeds too dirty for even its jaded inhabitants to touch. Enter the “Handymen,” Nic and Worick, who take care of the jobs no one else will handle. Until the day when a cop they know on the force requests their help in taking down a new gang muscling in on the territory of a top Mafia family. It seems like business (and mayhem) as usual, but the Handymen are about to find that this job is a lot more than they bargained for.

selector spread WIXOSS 10

Gotta say the big reveal in this episode confused the ever loving shit out of me at first. How the hell did that one card just fucking jump out of her card and fucking disappear after her loss? How the hell did the real Iona end up in her actual body again? I swear I must have missed something in their explanation.
Finally some reactions.
LOL show is so ridiculous(in a good way).

Jex

Lelouch certainly did not invent being a vengeful former royal, but Ange is a really lame version who doesn't deserve to be hailed.

As Turin says, Ange's arc is actually far more complex than Lelouche's. Lelouche is kind of an anti hero from the start the of the show, where as Ange basically starts off as a villain and undergoes numerous stages of character development until she becomes a more revolutionary figure. We're witnessing the whole journey, as it were.

If the show actually follows through with that idea and we see her control the DRAGONS and completely destroy the corrupt magic society I'd be fairly impressed. I just don't think the writing is strong enough to follow through with the idea fully.

Err, erm, I mean uhmm, yeah.......

The old woman from Ping Pong? Yeah! She totally counts right? Please tell me she does.....

Talents

Banned
Hey guys, I've got a question that's probably been asked a million times. But what Fate do I watch first? I've heard to watch fate/stay night first but when I checked there's 2 different ones, Fate/stay night and Fate/ stay night Unlimited Blade Works. What order do I watch these in?

Celestial Method - 10

Once again, yep. The fact that
Noel would disappear once the group made up and became good friends again
was apparent to me ever since I started watching this.

That aside, I do like the clever strings that they pulled according to that fact in this episode.
Once Shione tells the group of what happens to Noel once they all smile together again, the group debates which one of them should leave so Noel could stay. It creatively backfires on the plan, attempting to get the group to split up just so Noel can stay.

Noel herself also realizes that, which is why, according to the last thing she said in this episode, she'll preemptively disappear in a last ditch effort to get the group to remain friends.

It's not super original or anything, but I do like the little spin it put on things in this show.

Akame Ga Kill Episode 23: Kill The Empoeror

Keeping with the show as a decent choice as Wave is finally getting time to shine, but this episode became baffling.
Was the giant laser shooting emperor needed :( Also if Tatsumi is TRULY dead...impossible

JCG

As Turin says, Ange's arc is actually far more complex than Lelouche's. Lelouche is kind of an anti hero from the start the of the show, where as Ange basically starts off as a villain and undergoes numerous stages of character development until she becomes a more revolutionary figure. We're witnessing the whole journey, as it were.

If the show actually follows through with that idea and we see her control the DRAGONS and completely destroy the corrupt magic society I'd be fairly impressed. I just don't think the writing is strong enough to follow through with the idea fully.

Well...considering we aren't comparing either character arc as a whole here, I believe that making the first leg of the journey seem more complex on paper doesn't mean it is being executed in a better way, in practice, especially when most of those stages you're talking about involve Ange being abused in ways that are often simultaneously offensive, ridiculous and uninteresting. It might probably be the best development in a lesbian prison exploitation anime, but that's like being the tallest dwarf.

You have a point in how that might well be what the show is going for. Still, I would find it very hard to care.

Guys, I've stopped watching SAO II on episode 15 IIRC (the one where they find that meh monster and the huge Rosalina Goddess AI from god knows where). Should I watch the rest of the season? I thought that it looked lame, tbh, and that's quite a feat for someone who watched the second half of the first season of SAO.

Akame ga kill 23
The giant robot was fairly stupid, especially since it standing in the same spot for most of the fight and firing lasers so he destroying the empire much more than any rebellion could
Kind of surprised they killed off Tatsumi. Guess they won't make a second season of this for sure now. And then, having Akame and Esdeath fight off in the next episode just to make sure everyone is dead.

VRMN

Akame ga Kill 23
This fucking show. The emperor's an idiot, Esdeath is nowhere to be seen, the Minister isn't even really threatened. The duel between Tatsumi and the Emperor is underwhelming and powered by...
a goddamned giant robot with beam spam
. Because why the fuck not?

Am shocked they
killed Tatsumi off
. Now to see how they screw up
Akame vs. Esdeath
. And how they hand wave the part where
the Emperor and Minister are still alive

Akame ga Kill - 23

I'm not a fan of the big emperor laser mech. Wave and Tatsumi co op was cool.
Since this is "the legendary" imperial arms I thought the only chance they had was to sweet talk the emperor, like.. reveal that his parents didn't die in an accident (as the minister told him) but was murdered by the minister to gain control or something
Instead Incursio Digivolved into Megnamon and took care of business. I liked the whole bit where Tatsumi sacrificed himself to stop the Emperor from landing on everyone.
My only hope for a happy ending is for best girls Esdeath and Leone walking hand in hand down a sunset road and living happily ever after

Cross Ange 9

such suffering, lol

This show does a good job of making me despise all the non-normas, holy shit. Hopefully a massive DRAGON invasion kills them all.

VRMN

Some other wrap ups:

Your Lie in April 9
Evil mom is more obviously evil. And this is literally the last time I'm going to accept this whole thing with Kousei's playing without any development. How is he practicing? Also, Kaori's obviously seriously ill. Was pretty sure before, but the pile of pills is a pretty clear, "yes, it's serious" indicator. Still very much doubt that she survives the series; seems like the obvious progression.

Shirobako 9
Well, Aoi's right screwed now, isn't she? The true antagonist of this series is the director, I swear. Meanwhile, Shizuka's still trying too hard and Misa finds the true form of a stable job in the industry: soulless tedium. Still, the story for me is that Aoi's losing it and it's not going to get much better given what the finale entails now.

In Search of the Lost Future 10
I'm getting Steins;Gate vibes again in more than one respect now. The part where I think this ends with the girl getting rescued and the other girl getting the guy. This helped recover from a almost laughable episode 9 with how convoluted and "Really!?"-filled the backstory was.

PuPiPo! 1-15
Heard some Anime of the Year talk going this way, so I checked it out. Not as high on it as some of the people going on about it, but definitely the best short-form I've seen this year. Very cute, interesting and amusing characters, and though I saw the ending coming from about the halfway point, it was still very nicely done. 8/10

I have the biggest grin on my face after seeing that last scene in Akame.

Now have Akame die and let Esdese live and this adaption can end on a high note.

Jarmel

Banned
Obviously the best female character this season is Yuuki.
We watch as she battles Super AIDS and her heroic struggle to leave a mark in the world, all the while suffering from depression and oppression. She's a poor child who has never known the comforts of the education system in Japan and only wishes to live a normal life yet due to the gods cursing her, she will be doomed to live in an isolated hospital room.

Cross Ange 10

I had a big stupid grin on my face for most of this episode. She's not just going to destroy the government, but the entire world of these mana-using assholes, hell yeah. Though I'm predicting we'll discover there's some dark secret to using mana and Ange will destroy that too, making everyone Normas or something like that.

Also like that Hilda and Ange are best bros. Also lol at how squad relations were ruined like 3 episodes after they all got close.

Hey guys, I've got a question that's probably been asked a million times. But what Fate do I watch first? I've heard to watch fate/stay night first but when I checked there's 2 different ones, Fate/stay night and Fate/ stay night Unlimited Blade Works. What order do I watch these in?

They are two completely different adaptations. The original F S/N is apparently terrible, don't watch it (or so I hear). F S/N: UBW is the new one and I'll let you make the judgment for yourself. There's also Fate/Zero, which is the prequel and is definitely worth checking out.

Anohana - 01

The excellent ED track means I should at least give it a try. Roughly knew about the premise beforehand and that there'd be a lot of drama.

First episode was competent enough. For how little we've seen so far the characters made a decent impression with MC taking the short stick, though his regress from cool leader-type to stressed out shut-in is a nice starting point actually. Then again, maybe the orange-haired tsundere is the most generic one, but really, I need more episodes to judge the characters.

While I'm glad the show isn't as vague about the backstory as e.g. Sora no Method seemed to be, I'm still annoyed that there's going to be some 'promise' and what not. Actually these kind of "ghost of a acquaintance" stories aren't my kind of thing because they're predictable and everything builds up to the eventual good bye of said ghost; that is unless it takes a worse route and includes reincarnation magic!

In theory though I can still enjoy this just fine if the characterization is well done. I also hope it doesn't take long for our MC to convince the others about Menma. After all her manifestation does actually affect the physical world in some ways...though I expect that aspect to be inconsistent.

The one thing that seemed strange or needless was the ghost giving our MC either severe arousal or even an orgasm by sitting in his lap? It's just... why?

edit:
Btw, don't tell me how it goes, wanna discover the...impending disappointment, I assume, myself!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom