• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

yami4ct

Tomino is the George Lucas of anime.

Tomino has done 2-3 legitimately great series in his lifetime. George was involved in 2 great films and the best film in his main series was even directed by someone else. Tomino has a ton of issues, you can't not admit that, but he's no where near GL level of hack-ness.

mankoto

Gundam SEED 33
Kira is more or less depressed again.
Mirialle went to go see Dearka, and Sai still isn't up to talk to Flay.

Maybe that's more accurate. Didn't he or somebody else say this was supposed to be aimed at a younger generation? I don't know how young people are supposed to follow what the fuck is going on. I don't know what the motivations are for anybody other than that the pirate group...want solar panels? How is that compelling for a younger audience?

Yes, he did say that this was for a new generation, and not for the old fans.
But I don't really get what's going on either, or whether I even like/dislike the show yet. I'll give it more time to cook.

Narag

Tomino has done 2-3 legitimately great series in his lifetime. George was involved in 2 great films and the best film in his main series was even directed by someone else. Tomino has a ton of issues, you can't not admit that, but he's no where near GL level of hack-ness.

dat New Translation handling of Four tho

Jarmel

Banned
Gundam Reconguista in G- [1-2]
Tomino said:
Preexisting fans of Gundam won’t be able to understand it…I’m not making this for you, so please show it to your children and grandchildren, instead

Well so far he seems right on the money. If I ever have kids, I'll try to get their opinion as well.
ibdkebJWdusAI3.jpg

i7A3SIs2Nh109.jpg

This is a literal explanation in the show. No, there are no more lines to this scene. I am dead serious.

There are definitely heavy elements from the 1980s such as the camerawork, blatant sexism, physical abuse, artificial grain usage to simulate cel work, and the soundtrack. In some ways the show so far reminds me of a shitty version of Turn-A. And I didn't even like Turn-A that much.

So going in, I had a fairly good idea that the writing was going to be abysmal and I was correct. What is shocking for me though, is that there is one category worse than the writing, the editing. There are scenes that just jump with no reason or flow and so just create this mishmash of things happening without any sort of proper buildup. This is especially the case in the 2nd episode where there are numerous examples of 'jumps'. One scene near the end was supposed to be dramatic but due to the editing just comes off as stupid and confusing. There is just no direction at all in any of this.

So going back to the writing, why should I give a fuck about any of these characters? There's been little to no characterization on anybody's part. One of the girls seemingly has brain damage. The main character hates piracy I think. Don't ask me why. He hates pirates so much that he tries to
rescue the pirate prisoner
. If the Capital is supposed to be this dictatorial force, why is their military so incompetent? They don't have an elite response team or even semi-decent guards? How can some random space pirates just come in and
ruin a VIP party
? There's some stuff in the first episode that made me go huh, like the cheerleaders being on that 'train'.
There's so much garbage in both episodes that don't serve a function in either the narrative or characters. A perfect example is the MC running into that wall in the building. What the fuck? He finds her in less than a minute afterwards. Why does that scene exist? Was it supposed to be funny?

The storyboarding of the action sequences are weird in that there are definitely some good cuts in there but the camera is just too damn close to the mechs at times, which makes it hard to tell what is happening. Much of it though, there just isn't that much animation. The whole show just doesn't have much animation going on and so many scenes just feel really stilted.

The show is a mess.

He could be like George Lucas in that no one he works with will give him criticism. (This is pretty baseless but I wouldn't be surprised if it were the case.)

yami4ct

Has Tomino ever started a show well? Even the ones I like are pretty much a complete mess. Seeing how they fixed up stuff in The Origin manga really shows how poor a start even the original MSG had. Turn A's world building for the first 5 or so episodes was also garbage. Even my favorite Gundam shows that he's done have had rocky starts, so I'm willing to chalk it up to "Tomino is shit at world building and introductions" and wait to see if he can make up for it with later episodes.

Akatsuki no Yona seems promising. It's a Korean-influenced shoujo fantasy and the PVs looks well-produced. Good music too.

Akatsuki no Yona. It's 2cour confirmed so at least 24 episodes.

Takes a while to get good but its worth the wait.

The princess trope might turn you off tho.

For what it's worth, I read the manga 5-6 times from beginning to most recent chapter

Oh this looks nice. Looks fairly violent for shoujo, but I dont mind that one bit.

Thanks bros

Has Tomino ever started a show well? Even the ones I like are pretty much a complete mess. Seeing how they fixed up stuff in The Origin manga really shows how poor a start even the original MSG had. Turn A's world building for the first 5 or so episodes was also garbage. Even my favorite Gundam shows that he's done have had rocky starts, so I'm willing to chalk it up to "Tomino is shit at world building and introductions" and wait to see if he can make up for it with later episodes.

Zeta Gundam had a strong first episode. I think Dunbine started well, too (it's been awhile since I've seen the first couple of episodes).

Ideon, on the other hand, took quite a while to really get to any reasonable level of quality. And everyone knows about how poorly ZZ started.

Jarmel

Banned

The intro episodes of Turn-A were nowhere near this bad.

yami4ct

Zeta Gundam had a strong first episode. I think Dunbine started well, too (it's been awhile since I've seen the first couple of episodes).

Ideon, on the other hand, took quite a while to really get to any reasonable level of quality. And everyone knows about how poorly ZZ started.

I don't know about Zeta. It's better, but it has its own set of issues.

At least in the film version the beginning of Mobile Suit Gundam isn't so bad.

It helps when you don't have to give Tomino a month to explain why you should care. It throws you straight into a AEUG raid with no idea who the hell that group is or if you should even be rooting for. It helps when the Titans are dicks to Kamille, but you could also just see that as typical Tomino "Both sides are shit" writing. It's no where near the low bar most of his series have, but it has its own set of problems.

The intro episodes of Turn-A were nowhere near this bad.

The first episode throws you into a weird society that has almost zero technology with no explanation who these people are. It then introduces a Holy Mobile Suit with no indication as to why its there and our hero, who's gender is even unclear for a good long while, ends up piloting this mobile suit for almost inexplicable reasons. It may not be as bad as G-Reco, but it's nowhere near good.

fertygo

Have standard intro isn't Tomino thing in Gundam, Amuro just thrown into space nazy douchebaggery in first eps and Kamille got abused as prisoner for no reason in Zeta..

Jarmel

Banned
The first episode throws you into a weird society that has almost zero technology with no explanation who these people are. It then introduces a Holy Mobile Suit with no indication as to why its there and our hero, who's gender is even unclear for a good long while, ends up piloting this mobile suit for almost inexplicable reasons. It may not be as bad as G-Reco, but it's nowhere near good.
That was fine though because Loran was learning about their culture and their lifestyle. He wasn't a normal member of their society. Yea it's not great but it's not that bad either.

yami4ct

Have standard intro isn't Tomino thing in Gundam, Amuro just thrown into space nazy douchebaggery in first eps and Kamille got abused as prisoner for no reason in Zeta..

Tomino Gundams don't really begin with a "call to action" more like "hero is pushed into the action and then berated when they don't immediately accept responsibility for the entire world conflict".

mankoto

Gundam SEED 34
Kira is going back home with a new Gundamto protect his friends.

Flay is actually a coordinator? Can't laugh any harder.

Second anime sampler of the year at my school's anime club. This time, all newish anime
Gatchaman Crowds 1
One of my favorite shows last year and this episode reminds me a lot of why. The music is outstanding. Hajime is a little weirder than I recall but she is still likeable to me. Hajime is very much a tradition breaker and she 's exciting for it.

Mekakucity Actors 1
Probably the weakest show of the sampler. If I had not watched the show and looked up the background info, I would probably be very confused. This show is only really eyecatching because of Shaft. Otherwise, it is pretty average aside from the confusing plot.

Log Horizon 1
I forgot a lot about the first episode but, this episode does a great job of world building. It makes it feel like a lived-in game so to speak. The story has mechanics that feel like they were actual part of an MMO.

Shin Sekai Yori 1
The only anime shown that I haven't seen beyond the first episode since I accidentally dropped this when it first aired. Feels very interesting and mysterious. Hope this gets voted in

Attack on Titan 1
Well this one is okay. Not great. Feels like it tries too hard to be serious. I recall dropping this anime because this went to slow for me. Hope this doesn't win.

Kill la Kill 1
This is enjoyable. Feels very anime campy fun at least for the first episode.

Shin Sekai Yori 1
The only anime shown that I haven't seen beyond the first episode since I accidentally dropped this when it first aired. Feels very interesting and mysterious. Hope this gets voted in

This here is an investment, but man the build up and payoff is so fucking incredible. Hope you get a chance to watch through all of it.

Midonin

PriPara, my favorite ongoing if truncated show, just announced that it's changing OPs and EDs this weekend, and introducing a new character, Faruru, voiced by Chinatsu Akasaki (Mori Summer, Love Lab's Maki, Chanko in the same show.)

And it's here that I see the Rainbow Live pattern repeating itself. Just as that show had RAINBOW, here, if we lay everything out.

Dorothy
Reona
Mirei
Faruru
Sophie
Lala
Shion (Tion in some romanization systems. Eh. Close enough.)

And we've got it. Japan, never stop your name puns.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Gundam: Reconguista in G Episode 2:

Well, that episode was on somewhat more solid footing but was exponentially more boring, I am not sure how much longer I can tolerate this program.

Dresden

g-reco - 1

Tomino is a bad director, but this is also oddly enjoyable - it's goofy, irrepressible. Love the designs, with some good animation to round things out. A girl was kicked and a girl was slapped and it'll just get worse, so I'm not looking forward to that.

I'll keep watching for now. I guess episode 2 is going to be "interesting."

#TeamAida

yami4ct

g-reco - 1

Tomino is a bad director, but this is also oddly enjoyable - it's goofy, irrepressible. Love the designs, with some good animation to round things out. A girl was kicked and a girl was slapped and it'll just get worse, so I'm not looking forward to that.

I'll keep watching for now. I guess episode 2 is going to be "interesting."

#TeamAida

I like Tomino as a scenario writer, but as an actual script writer and director, he's pretty awful. He should really just come up with the world and plot outline and hand the rest to some of the more capable hands at Sunrise.

Branduil

I like Tomino as a scenario writer, but as an actual script writer and director, he's pretty awful. He should really just come up with the world and plot outline and hand the rest to some of the more capable hands at Sunrise.

And you complained about my George Lucas comparison.

CorvoSol

Zeta Gundam and Turn A are the only ones I would argue began well. Maybe MSG, but its hard to say. ZZ, F91, CCA, and Victory all have really rough starts.

As to Tomino = Lucas quips I'ma throw down that New Translation is his revised Trilogy, with weird new scenes and stuff.

yami4ct

Zeta Gundam and Turn A are the only ones I would argue began well. Maybe MSG, but its hard to say. ZZ, F91, CCA, and Victory all have really rough starts.

As to Tomino = Lucas quips I'ma throw down that New Translation is his revised Trilogy, with weird new scenes and stuff.

Don't remind me Tomino made CCA. Outside of the mech designs/animation, that whole thing is terrible. I can't believe he cut the Char storyline out of ZZ for that. He could have actually done some decent character work in a full series. Ugh.

fertygo

G-Reco

Dem exaggeration, this is pretty entertaining and solid opener. its oddly resembling to kids show such like Precure in structure plus Tomino's wackiness.. I love the visual and concept.

The only complaint that I had (and major) is the misoginy and wonky ass in-battle dialogue. Fuck off Tomino don't treat those Yoshida's waifu like that.

Btw those mech with backpack in the ED is fucking great..

CorvoSol

Don't remind me Tomino made CCA. Outside of the mech designs/animation, that whole thing is terrible. I can't believe he cut the Char storyline out of ZZ for that. He could have actually done some decent character work in a full series. Ugh.

I don't understand what happened there at all. Supposedly he had enough of an idea that when he had to rewrite ZZ without Char it set the show off balance for a debated period of time (about half the show, for the sake of simplicity), yet when you get to CCA it's got no beginning, no ending, and half the plot is dedicated to one of the worst women he's ever written.

Part of me kind of wishes Tomino would revisit ZZ to see how he'd redo things this time around, but part of me wants to never see that.

yami4ct

Tomino would revisit ZZ to see how he'd redo things this time around, but part of me wants to never see that.

I'd much rather they give Yoshikazu Yasuhiko that job. The way he elevated 0079 with The Origin is just masterful. One of, if not completely, the best gundam series ever written. So good. A ZZ re-write that also tackles the 2nd Neo Zeon conflict (CCA) would be my dream piece of gundam fiction.

The best {read worst} part of CCA, though, is the way it feels like Char's ZZ storyline still happened, but Tomino just forgot to tell the viewers about it. That complete change of character motivation is so damn frustrating.

CorvoSol

I'd much rather they give Yoshikazu Yasuhiko that job. The way he elevated 0079 with The Origin is just masterful. One of, if not completely, the best gundam series ever written. So good. A ZZ re-write that also tackles the 2nd Neo Zeon conflict (CCA) would be my dream piece of gundam fiction.

The best {read worst} part of CCA, though, is the way it feels like Char's ZZ storyline still happened, but Tomino just forgot to tell the viewers about it. That complete change of character motivation is so damn frustrating.

Especially since ZZ's only got like, one speech, maybe two, by Sayla about how Char is alive and up to something.

But yeah, a retake of ZZ by someone who actually cared and that included Char's progress from Quattro to leader of Neo Zeon could be good. As long as I don't lose Judau and Haman happening. Cuz that's sort of one of the strongest points of ZZ.

yami4ct

Especially since ZZ's only got like, one speech, maybe two, by Sayla about how Char is alive and up to something.

But yeah, a retake of ZZ by someone who actually cared and that included Char's progress from Quattro to leader of Neo Zeon could be good. As long as I don't lose Judau and Haman happening. Cuz that's sort of one of the strongest points of ZZ.

Something that also makes sense of Amuro's various relationships would be nice too. Tomino spends time building relationships with Amuro and Sayla and then Beltorchika only to ditch them and never even acknowledge they happened. Ugh. The meta-continuity of the UC is so frustrating to me.

Maybe we'll finally get a proper ZZ once the Z-Define manga finishes. Given the lukewarm reaction to ZD, though, I'm not sure I'd have faith that they'd get anyone good on a ZZ remake. Maybe The Origin was a fluke.

Jex

[G-Reco] - 1 & 2

Thank you, Lord Tomino, for this bounty. I never doubted your words or deeds.

AHHHHHHHHMENNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!

Nikodemos

Canaan 1-13.

Was a bit headscratchy. How did
Maria escape from the railcar? Yunyun didn't have any real powers apart for a second appendix. And Maria herself wanted to stay.

And there were some other small things that didn't quite fit properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom