• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blusby

Blade Dance is interesting but the OP is so horrible.

Blade Dance is among the worst things in recent memory that I've ever seen. I mean it starts off with a poorly animated "Baka! Echii! Kono Hentai! Shinei!" scene and only gets worse and worse, where you even see girls getting unjustifiably enraged by the MC looking up their pantsu because they knocked the door in his face and are about to murder him in the populated school's hallway with their samurai swords.

Terrible, terrible series. It's interesting in how it managed to sell a single BD!

Steins;Gate - 10

Awww...what a touching moment between Okarin and Kurisu!
Too bad it probably got retconned with that D-Mail. -_-

Interesting questions have been raised. Did
part-time-warrior girl actually find her father before the D-mail was sent? If so, what was up with that cryptic goodbye message she sent? Could it have something to do with this apparent grudge she has against Kurisu, from the way she acts every time she's mentioned? Does it involve SERN in any way?

Speaking of SERN, it looks like they're catching on to what the lab's doing, if the "I'm watching you" message along with the picture of Gelatin had anything to imply.

I get the feeling things will be heating up in this show very soon.

JoeFu

Banned
Are we ever going to get a real OP? I usually check the op for schedules and stuff. Worst anime op of all time.

Guys i just finished reading log horizon Book 8 ..

and my hype is higher than ever.

THERE ISN'T a single soul on animegaf ready for this.. i can already predict/see a massive shitstorm.. what a book

I don't have the words , guys ... the anime S2 is going to be something else. If they don't mess up .... this is AOTY material no problem. my god i'm seated but i still feel i need to sit down.

WHAT THE HELL , shiroe ... WHAT THE ...

wonzo

Banned
Are we ever going to get a real OP? I usually check the op for schedules and stuff. Worst anime op of all time.
camby.png

mankoto

Gundam SEED 31
I knew he was still alive, but how the hell did he get all the way over there? He's not even on Earth anymore. There is no teleportation technology to speak of in this show

Puruzi

Banned
Started watching Ping Pong because of all the people putting it on that vote thing, and I'm really liking it, got up to episode 5. Any other shows with similar style?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Any other shows with similar style?

In terms of plot or art?

Ping Pong is based on a manga by Taiyou Matsumoto. He has one other adapted work, Tekkonkinkreet, which is worth checking out.

Need to see past Gundam series for G-reco? Only one I've watched all the way through is G Gundam.

You don't have to have watched past Gundam shows to watch G-Reco, but if you're not accustomed to Tomino's, erm, unique directing style you'll probably find the show offputting. I honestly don't think you'd like it.

Moonlight

Banned
Gundam Reconguista in G Episodes 1 to 2

I feel like the OP of this show couldn't be more perfect. I mean, from a direction standpoint, it's not very good. Everything about it is eighties as hell, from the freeze-frame title drop at its' beginning, and all the static cuts, really stilted character introductions, and pretty rough transitions (not to mention it seems to be composed almost entirely of reused footage). And yet it's all set to a catchy, modern J-pop theme by Garnidelia where my mind was telling me there had to be trumpets or something. The anachronism is palpable, and I think that it says far more about the show than it probably intended to. It's something that crawled out from a portal to thirty years ago and repackaged itself in modern production and glitz like it tried to flee the time police by flaying and wearing Eureka 7's skin.

But hey, it's a pretty skin. I wouldn't blame it. Yoshida's character designs are predictably pretty great, anyways, and the character animation itself is really solid as well. Eye-searing CG aside, it's a very attractive show. The bright colour design and soft lines makes for a very inviting aesthetic, and the action animation is pretty good, in spite of the dated choreography.

Everything outside this show's visuals just feels exceptionally dated. It's clear in so many of the cuts, techniques (my particular favourite being a screen transition that apparently borrowed from Powerpoint's zoom animation), and general choices of direction just how out of time this show is. The storyboarding and editing itself is messy (rife with some odd, sometimes even jarring breaks) and the writing is pretty all over the place. The show doesn't make any real effort to ease you into things besides a reintroduction to the Minovsky particle and a few peripheral factoids on how certain things function. Factoids that are... ultimately irrelevant to anything that happens afterwards.

Of course, the big issue is that there's pretty much no context for anything as a result. There's nothing to ground yourself on because the show doesn't really want to explain itself or the reasons you should care about certain things. In particular, the state of affairs, the culture, and the politics. It's throwing a bunch of Capital Letter Words at you about Ameria or the Capital Guard or the Izanellian Continent. What is the 'Capital' that these people are guarding? I guess Amerians are the Zeon of this show? Why is the Pope here and what does he do? And are women like, not allowed to be mobile suit pilots? Because there was a pretty clear delineation between males who were pilots and girls who were... cheerleaders. The show is making an assumption that I have a reason to care about any of these things when it's made no effort to make me.

I think my favourite (with a fat asterisk) moment, in this regard, was a moment when Bellri, the main character is just about to explain something about Earth and why it's doing something in particular, is a totally abrupt cut to like two seconds of a mobile suit battle before it cuts back (equally abruptly) to him finishing his explanation, where the character he's telling it to then slaps him presumably for daring to try and contextualize anything about anyone's motivations.

There's showing and telling, this show does neither to a satisfactory degree. Even assuming that this show deigns to explain itself later on, it does not retroactively make up for the audience's time it already wasted with things it presumably knew made no sense.

Not to mention the pretty terrible treatment of most of the female characters thus far. Monday is about as mentally and emotionally mature as a four year old, and has roughly as much agency, Red Cheerleader Girl (on top of having kind of a dumb design) is possibly a sociopath because I can't rationalize any other reason for her
shooting Aida who was teetering off a tower with her slingshot that by her own admission, could have killed her
. Aida herself seems like an... okay character, except for the part where she's apparently at the center of a misfortune vortex where everything seems to go wrong for everyone around her.
Is that Captain guy dying (in what was an absurdly out of nowhere and forced series of events) like... Aida's fault or something? I feel like it was supposed to be, but everything about that scene is ridiculously unclear. And... am I supposed to be sympathetic towards Aida, who just got someone clearly important to her killed in front of her for what seems like no reason, or thinking poorly of her for... being ungrateful like all the other characters seem to be treating her.

Also, the Reglid Century version of the Haro (the Harobe, apparently) is a horrific abomination of nature.

eugh2xxkz1.png

Eugh.

I give it two out of five slaps to the face. Will keep watching to fill in the space between the real Gundam show of the season.

Puruzi

Banned
In terms of plot or art?

Ping Pong is based on a manga by Taiyou Matsumoto. He has one other adapted work, Tekkonkinkreet, which is worth checking out.

Art mostly, but I like the plot too, so both I guess. I'll check the other show out when I'm done with Ping Pong, thanks

Quasar

Blade Dance is among the worst things in recent memory that I've ever seen. I mean it starts off with a poorly animated "Baka! Echii! Kono Hentai! Shinei!" scene and only gets worse and worse, where you even see girls getting unjustifiably enraged by the MC looking up their pantsu because they knocked the door in his face and are about to murder him in the populated school's hallway with their samurai swords.

Terrible, terrible series. It's interesting in how it managed to sell a single BD!

Whilst for me it (along with chatter about the series) convinced me to dive into the novel series which I've been loving. That said it is a shame that they excised the most interesting bits to fit it into a short generic series. Shame they did not take an approach similar to Log Horizon.

CorvoSol

Need to see past Gundam series for G-reco? Only one I've watched all the way through is G Gundam.

Not really so far. It drops a few terms you might need to know, though. For instance, Minovsky particles are jamming particles which necessitate the creation of mecha in the Gundam universe. Basic combat requires that you "spread Minovsky particles" at the beginning of a fight to prevent space ships from being useful and leave it up to the mechanical infantry.

UC or Universal Century is the timeperiod during which the oldest Gundam shows took place.

Ameria is a location of significance in Turn A Gundam, but since this takes place before that the connection is little more than an entertaining reference at the moment.

Narag

You mean the best one ever.

I'll sort the streaming schedule thing out as everything is finally announced over the weekend and I deliberately partitioned the posts off so whoever makes the second OT can just cut/paste/edit posts #/2/#3!

Gundam Reconguista in G 1-2

I dunno what the fuck is going on.

This feels like it fell out of some magical 80s time portal, with modern art style and animation. It's also extremely :Tomino, with weird directions, weird lines, weird names. These two episodes were weird. I dunno what to think, it's like they drop you into the middle of all this shit and don't try to explain it. Well the MC tries to explain it but gets cut off mid sentence by a mech battle and it returns to him already finishing his sentence.

Also most obvious Char Clone of all time they aren't even trying to hide it anymore. I also thought this was going to be so far in the future that U.C. events were basically all forgotten, but apparently not.

JoeFu

Banned
You mean the best one ever.

I'll sort the streaming schedule thing out as everything is finally announced over the weekend and I deliberately partitioned the posts off so whoever makes the second OT can just cut/paste/edit posts #/2/#3!

Thank you.

I learned who Tomino is because the OP, but I don't want to watch any of those shows and I honestly don't care too much about Gundam.

frostshade

Neo Member
Any good shoujo anime coming out this season? Ao Haru Ride ended so I need my fix. Always need to watch at least one per season.

Akatsuki no Yona. It's 2cour confirmed so at least 24 episodes.

Takes a while to get good but its worth the wait.

The princess trope might turn you off tho.

For what it's worth, I read the manga 5-6 times from beginning to most recent chapter

mankoto

Gundam SEED 32
I still don't understand how Kira isn't on Earth anymore...

As for Miria and Flay they're so angry they can't think straight.
I would've been mad as shit if Miria died right there. Fucking Hell

G-Reco's opening episodes sound just as bad as Overman King Gainer's, possibly worse. Pretty impressive given that it has been more than a decade.

Jarmel

Banned
G-Reco's opening episodes sound just as bad as Overman King Gainer's, possibly worse. Pretty impressive given that it has been more than a decade.

Much fucking worse. Even Zeta and Turn-A wasn't anywhere near this bad.

People saying this is 80's are doing the 80's a disservice. Shit is just bad.

jgminto

I'm pretty sure Tomino gives a shit; he's just incompetent.

Maybe that's more accurate. Didn't he or somebody else say this was supposed to be aimed at a younger generation? I don't know how young people are supposed to follow what the fuck is going on. I don't know what the motivations are for anybody other than that the pirate group...want solar panels? How is that compelling for a younger audience?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom