• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Why do you event want an early adaptation, they rarely turn out good. At least when the manga has a significant amount of material you don't have to worry about filler anytime soon.

I'd say there's probably enough material for 12 episodes by now, 24 with a stretch.

Clov

All this Type-Moon talk makes me want a Carnival Phantasm BD over here. I'm pretty surprised it hasn't happened, actually.

Jex

I think the safest way to approach any new season is to let everyone watch stuff in the first 2 weeks or so, and then check out the ones which aren't clear duds after that. But safety is for wise people who value their time, it's better to go all in and suffer the consequences instead! :D

That's not even the safest way. The truly safest method is just to let every show finish airing and wait for full show reviews before committing to anything.

mankoto

Gundam SEED 38
Trio of new villains that barely get along
Trio of new female Gundam pilots that work well together
Athrun is probably confused by his own actions right now.

How they Hell did Dearka find the Buster let alone get in it? That should've been locked away somewhere.

Overall,it was pretty engaging

Black Rock Shooter 01

iGpwn1s.png

Colours fill our world. Red, Blue, Green. You eat the dirty colours.

Hugstable

Banned
Black Rock Shooter OVA:

So much switching between the 2 sections, and they didn't really explain anything at all. They even managed to fit in 2 montages! I have no clue what I just watched at all. Not much dialogue going on the whole time which added to more of the confusion.

Black Rock Shooter Episode 1

So did the events in the OVA even happen? And those doll faces from the other sister... those were kinda creepy looking. I still have no idea what's going on. The art style seems quite a bit different from the OVA though. Also I don't think this girl can die, she even got drilled, and nothing she's still ready to fight.

Black Rock Shooter OVA

It's a story about friendship.

Mato makes a new friend at school called Yomi, and then she makes friends with Yuu. Yomi gets jealous and gets kidnapped or something? And then aliens abduct Mato. And there's girls fighting in some other world? And the girls fighting is also Mato and Yomi or something... Uh...

rrvv

I'd say there's probably enough material for 12 episodes by now, 24 with a stretch.

12 only get them to karage arc (which will be underwhelming for anime)

better finished tournament arc first before they make it to anime. which is sufficient for 24 episode

even then it will be rush due to nature of the manga it self. 4 chapter per episode

mankoto

Black Rock Shooter OVA:

So much switching between the 2 sections, and they didn't really explain anything at all. They even managed to fit in 2 montages! I have no clue what I just watched at all. Not much dialogue going on the whole time which added to more of the confusion.

So did the events in the OVA even happen? And those doll faces from the other sister... those were kinda creepy looking. I still have no idea what's going on. The art style seems quite a bit different from the OVA though. Also I don't think this girl can die, she even got drilled, and nothing she's still ready to fight.

Expect to be confused, and expect to stay confused. And no, there is no connection to the OVA.

Black Rock Shooter 01

It's still a story about friendship.

Mato makes a new friend at school called Yomi, and then she meets some other girl in a wheelchair with creepy dolls and macaroons that wasn't in the OVA. And there's still girls fighting in some other world. But now the creepy doll girl is there and I guess it's some kind of symbolism? I dunno.

zulux21

Is this airing today?

I'm looking forward with this.

No, starts on Monday. Hopefully there's a simulcast announced by then!
yup the brand new series that will be airing in the next 24 hours would be
Garo: Honoo no Kokuin
Ushinawareta Mirai wo Motomete
Madan no Ou to Vanadis
Magic Kaito 1412
(I don't know about returning series I don't have a list for those :p)

yay they finally picked up one I want to check out :p

mankoto

Gundam SEED 39
I figured that was a doping agent so they'd have a chance to fight against a coordinator, but I didn't expect it to affect them like that once it wore off. Gotta keep your soldiers in check I suppose. Speaking of soldiers, at this point, Athrun
doesn't have anywhere to go. He wouldn't fight against his own people, but he doesn't want to fight Kira either.

Link Man

Banned

yup the brand new series that will be airing in the next 24 hours would be
Garo: Honoo no Kokuin
Ushinawareta Mirai wo Motomete
Madan no Ou to Vanadis
Magic Kaito 1412
(I don't know about returning series I don't have a list for those :p)

yay they finally picked up one I want to check out :p

Crunchyroll said:
Lord Marksman and Vanadis will be available to Crunchyroll’s audience in the Middle East, North Africa, and Europe excluding Scandinavia, the Netherlands, UK, and Ireland.

Might be Funi in the US.

duckroll

Garo already aired. The Jam Project OP was directed by Tomoyuki Niho, and animated by Tomoyuki Niho, Shintaro Doge, and Kenichi Kutsuna. Only saw screens so far, but looks very... stylish.

Branduil

Black Rock Shooter 01

Colours fill our world. Red, Blue, Green. You eat the dirty colours.

Black Rock Shooter 01

It's still a story about friendship.

Mato makes a new friend at school called Yomi, and then she meets some other girl in a wheelchair with creepy dolls and macaroons that wasn't in the OVA. And there's still girls fighting in some other world. But now the creepy doll girl is there and I guess it's some kind of symbolism? I dunno.

Black Rock Shooter OVA:

Black Rock Shooter 02

Kagari throws herself down some stairs.

Mato has to go to the festival alone since Kagari is crazy and doesn't let Yomi have any other friends. And then Yomi rebels and everything turns out fine after Kagari gets beheaded in the other world?

zulux21

Might be Funi in the US.
darn it I didn't read that part ><: so for me CR still doesn't have a show I want to watch from this season as I am in the US :/
but yeah it might be them as
is talking about 6 shows.
Garo already aired. The Jam Project OP was directed by Tomoyuki Niho, and animated by Tomoyuki Niho, Shintaro Doge, and Kenichi Kutsuna. Only saw screens so far, but looks very... stylish.

ah so that one was an early one. Just knew it was an oct 4th release wasn't sure on the time.

Midonin

I have very little room to speak on this since it's my first time in the Garo franchise myself, but anyone who does like the Garo anime should look into heading over to TokuGAF. The world of tokusatsu is a wonderful place.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Wouldnt it be Benio? Everybody loves Kobeni because shes cute as fuck.

I can't pick between any of them.

But has such fabulous hair just look at it! At least you know the money was well spent.

WHERE'S MY TF2 ANIME DAMN IT

Who's worse type moonies or KEY fans?

As a KEY fan: KEY fans.

Isn't this one of them ther' trick questions?

The answer is clearly: Anime Fans.

Actually I take that back, this is the correct answer.

Clearly the answer is 4 leaf fans
When's Katawa Shoujo 2 BTW?

So like here's the deal:
4LS is kinda done-skis but there's two sorta similar things on the horizon I've seen. One 4LS member (can't remember who? I could be wrong entirely that anyone is involved) is working on a new KS-ish VN called Missing Stars but focusing on more mental and neurological disabilities this time round.
Also
some group called Music Box Studios started making an actual KS2 and then someone at 4LS was like "WTF, fuck you guys. No derivative works, it's the licence. KS's our shit. Don't ride our coattails, fuckers. " and so the group started making it a new 'inspired by', unrelated work called Full Hearts rather than a sequel. The whole shit show was actually quite hilarious.

The legend of Korra S1: Air

A sequel to Avatar: The Last Airbender, set 70 years after events in the show. It is a time of great technological advancement and is set within a real modern looking city. Here we havee a female Avatar, the titular Koraa and this show is about..... her learning to be a good Avatar I guess. The first thing I notice is the more modern Japanese style animation which looks pretty good. Eyes sizes are good, and the characters have actual functioning noses. Now moving on to the actual meat of the show.

It's not good. This will be a shock to many who like the show but let's face the facts here, the writing is shoddy, any nuanced look at reality is completely shelved, and the number of plot contrivances is through the roof. Most of this comes after watching The Last Airbender very recently before starting this show so it becomes very apparent when the show breaks it's own internal logic for the sake of having things happen.

SPOILER WARNING

SPOILER WARNING

The show brings up many good points, with many allusions to communism with the Equalists who are non-benders fighting against the benders. This is an absolutely AMAZING idea. The world of Avatar has benders leading everything and with their superpowers the lives of non-benders are under their feet. The problem comes with the fact that the show completely loses and semblance of balance and just exclaims THERE IS NO PROBLEM repeatedly as if that makes the points brought up by the antagonists disappear. It's insane how anyone could possibly think that this was a good idea. And that's just looking at it from the surface, when we dig deep it just gets worse.

They never really explain how the "big bad" Amon is taking away people's bending - A skill that was taught only to Aang at the end of the last season. The art the non-benders are using to fight against the benders is called chi-blocking, and apparently it is illegal. We see a raid the Avatar is involved in against a chi blocking training camp. So this is the only way that non-benders can defend themselves against benders and the benders make it illegal and the show says that this is completely fine because the benders are the good guys. It feels like these are complex matters grafted onto the framework of a kid's show, their is no analysis of the matters, just a brute force labelling of one side as bad and the other as good.

The big bad is taking away people's bending and the seriousness the show affords it is as if he is killing them and feeding them to dogs. This is even somewhat realistic - but their is no analysis of the benders privilege in society to make it work. It's one thing to show people as paranoid that they are going to lose their bending and become a non-bending plebian - like a rich person's fear of a new government stealing their wealth - and it's another to make it seem like this person is the evillest of the evil and must be stopped at any cost.

The finale has Amon take away Korra's bending (earth, water, fire) , and at the last second she learns air bending - the last of the bending arts she needs. This is a straight up deus ex machina bs and it breaks with the things we learned in the previous show about learning a new bending skill necessitated a complete change of mindset. Here instead she just pulls it out of her ass. Everyone sees that the big bad was really a water bender and poof all their anger that caused them to join the Equalists dissapears. Writing skills, not even once. Despite acesss to all the best healers in the world at no cost, Korra cannot regain her 3 bending skills she lost to Amon (she still has Air). In grief she goes out, and I shit you not, the scene heavily implies that she thinks about killing herself. I mean woooooooooow, society in Avatar is really effed up. Then suddenly she gets acccess to all her past lives, regains all her bending skills, and she steals another person's boyfriend. We are supposed to cheer?

There is so much to write. Lighting bending which was a super 1 shot kill, long channel time, lv 100 move has now been nerfed to be a welding tool for blue collar workers. I was extremely miffed at this. Fire bending in it's entirety seems to have been relegated to a parlour trick to make flashy lights that don't really hurt. It's a wonder how the Fire nation ever conquered anything. All the bending skills seem to have seen major nerfs in this patch in order to make technology's catch up less silly but it feels like a cop out. This is especially evident in Avatar Korra who is a very poor avatar and seems to be just as weak as everyone else. The Avatar is supposed to be this OP agent of balance enforcing their will via force, but it is only a few episodes in before Korra looks like she is about to face a gang rape but the plot tells the enemy to decide now is not the time. An avatar who can lose to random mooks is useless. Even Katara is S1 is a better bender than Korra this season and she learned it mostly by herself wheras Korra has the order of the white lotus and the whole world helping her learn and she is trash.

Korra S1 is bad, but not terrible. Great art, I love the Avatar state theme song and the idea of non-benders fighting up against the oppression of benders using technology was genius. The show just failed to execute it's ideas in a way that worked and felt faithful to the franchise. 5/10

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Hyouka 8-11 (rewatch):
Hey Shinbo, take notes.
http://a.pomf.se/uyzhbo.webm
Look! Quick cuts that actually do something. WOW.

The movie mystery is definitely one of the highlights of Hyouka if not the strongest arc. It touches on the development of all the main characters and introduces a new one, Irisu, who was a fan favorite. It was also the first time we saw that Oreki wasn't infallible and that there are even greater minds than his at Kamiyama High School and outside of it.

After the movie screening, each of the main characters, aside from Oreki tell him their misgivings on his conclusion. Mayaka played it straight, and simply told Oreki he forgot a detail. Satoshi went digging into Sherlock esoterica to come up with an inconsistency. At Chitanda took the humanistic side. She revealed that she was never curious about the movie itself, but the feelings of the script writer. This perspective would prove crucial for Oreki's deduction of Irisu's manipulation.

What's important to note here is that every one of their contributions to his new theory is perfectly in line with their characters, there was no overlap or blending of character traits. Oreki is still the genius of the group, but he's not omniscient. He also has areas in which he's deficient, which were compensated for by his friends. The tarot discussion in 10 hammered this point home, and provided a new perspective on Oreki's life. He's been oblivious to the role of women in his life, not realizing that he has a kind of submissive streak when it comes to forceful women.

We also see more glimpses of Satoshi's inferiority complex, Mayaka's own capacity for detail and logic (which explains her outbursts whenever Oreki outdoes her in detective work), and Chitanda's sympathetic personality. Irisu, for a new character, was also exceptionally strong. I think her arc is very plausible. We have all, at some point had a friend or colleague who turned out a lackluster product in their academic or professional careers, but elected not to criticize for fear of causing friction. But also as a woman of action, she took the most roundabout way to reject and amend Hongou's script. Her actions remind us that in our fervor to be a "good person", we might be taking the morally low road and wind up hurting more people in our endeavors than if we were simply honest and forthright. This is echoed in her story about the prodigal athlete who attributes their success to "luck", and the impact this false humility has on those around them. And it is no doubt a false humility, how else to explain Oreki's indignation at being used for once, rather than being in the dominant position?

While all this was going on, the author, Yonezawa, and by extension KyoAni, were having a meta-discussion on the mystery genre, educating the audience about Arthur Conan Doyle and Agatha Christie, and explaining the progression of the genre from the 19th century to the 20th. Not only was it informative, but I realized that this arc deftly combines elements from both Doyle's Holmes and Christie's stories. The mystery, as presented, is solvable to an extent, as a proper post-Christie mystery is supposed to be. We have all the clues, most of the data, and the story is set up to be solveable without inhuman intellect. We also have Oreki, the Sherlock analogue, someone who's thought processes are far beyond the other characters, but not everyone. Oreki has his Mycroft (older sister) and his Irene (Irisu, I wonder if the names are intentional), and Watson (the rest of Hyouka), although Moriarty is missing for now. In the end, not only was Yonezawa calling out fans of those stories on their experience with mystery, but showing how the two eras of mystery writing can be combined in a single story.

Finally, we get another teaser for Oreki's sister, who has assumed the role of puppeteer by the end of the first season. If this was a shounen anime, Oreki's sister would be like the final boss, done up all in chiaroscuro while the heroes run around innocently, unaware that they're merely playing pieces in a larger game. You could say that the main cast of Hyouka are like the Fantastic Four, while Oreki's sister plays the role of Dr. Doom.

zulux21

The legend of Korra S1: Air

This will be a shock to many who like the show but let's face the facts here, the writing is shoddy, any nuanced look at reality is completely shelved, and the number of plot contrivances is through the roof.

Korra S1 is bad, but not terrible. Great art, I love the Avatar state theme song and the idea of non-benders fighting up against the oppression of benders using technology was genius. The show just failed to execute it's ideas in a way that worked and felt faithful to the franchise. 5/10

Completely true, season one did not impress me, but it wasn't so bad that I wasn't willing to watch the next season.
season two is also not great, but it has a great middle, and started showing signs it might get better.
Season three was solid though.

Black Rock Shooter 03

Nice counseling there.

Kohata falls in love and other students bully her or something, there's basketball and stuff and people growing out of the ground. It's all quite sad and symbolic.

Midonin

selector spread WIXOSS 01

It's exceedingly hard to convince Chiyori of the danger of playing the game, because the truth has been written down as fiction, and it's fiction that she wants to be a part of. Something bad is heading for Chiyori, that's almost a certainty. Wixoss was one of my favorite shows in the season where its first half aired, and while it's up against a lot this time, I like what I see so far. A largely female cast is a plus, I don't mind the merchandising, and it feels like it's building up to something. Mostly a reintroductory kind of episode, as they tend to be. I like both the new OP and new ED, by the same artists as the first season's. Looks like the main thrust of spread will be finding where Tama went, and continuing to probe the mysteries of the game.

The anime macrofandom can be a mess of voices all vying to find what works, and for me, Wixoss works. It's a strange little oddity.

Edit: I just noticed Vanadis is not airing in the US for Crunchyroll. Funi confirmed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom