• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works 0

I'm a fan of the Fate series because for better or worse, I love the visuals of the characters. Shoot me all you want but I always loved the characters in KnK, F/SN, and F/Z. Having said that, this episode was an absolute scorgasm of visual glory that ufotable has to offer. I don't think there is any studio out there that can make a show look this damn good for a weekly tv anime series. None. Having said that, I felt like everything else about the episode didn't live up to my expectations of the show.

For instance, I found the lack of characters extremely obnoxious and the blocking of Shirou's face even more obnoxious. Let's hide shit just for the sake of. Piss off. I understand the intent of making a Rin-centric episode but I think it's done at the cost of introducing essential characters and showing how they actually relate to the overall plot. Whatever.

To further add to the problem I just didn't enjoy the lack of character dynamics. You are only introduced to Rin and Archer in all honesty. You only get to see their interactions and no one else's. I guess the one that comes the closest would be Rin and Sakura's but that's hinted at. Doesn't even scratch the surface.

I think the episode tried too hard to allude to something when it really should've just explained it, and really delve into something that really didn't need 30 minutes of delving into. Maybe I was just spoiled as to how spectacular the first episode of Fate/Zero. This episode just felt bland.

This episode is almost exactly like the prologue in the VN.

e_i

I don't understand what my husband is saying episode 1

WE ARE BOOBS!
Damn straight Mashiro-tan is the best waifu. DAMN STRAIGHT.

duckroll

maybe duckroll can answer this, roughly how much stuff is outsourced when animating a show? I remember you saying it's quite a common practice but I'm sort of interested on average how much of a show is usually outsourced.

Things which have to be outsourced in any production no matter what:
- In-between animation
- Finishing
- Background art

Those are the main things which even if a studio does a ton of it internally, there's just too much work to not outsource. For everything else, the answer is "it depends".

Jarmel

Banned
Things which have to be outsourced in any production no matter what:
- In-between animation
- Finishing
- Background art

Those are the main things which even if a studio does a ton of it internally, there's just too much work to not outsource. For everything else, the answer is "it depends".

What exactly do you mean by finishing? Post production stuff?

Edit:Mistake on my part.

Branduil

I Can't Understand What My Husband is Saying 1

isnpQY3dv3WHi.jpg
iAnZaQUA9Gcf6.jpg

ibickhJPedfXdz.jpg
ibfjjgV8DWk3he.jpg

itV0mC4bVW62U.jpg
ib2vEhEIwuhQ0U.jpg

iUNSQ4J4dn6As.jpg
iLgWTkky9OabS.jpg

ibrOnHO27c9GeK.jpg
iboilLQ9uWUpK5.jpg

iQRYPPZxnafJl.jpg
i667Hojn0Mykw.jpg

AnimeGAF: The Anime

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
World Trigger Episode 1:

Ergh, I have had enough of TOEI's dodgy production values for one day and the generic everything isn't helping, I pass on this one.

duckroll

Well for background art, doesn't that depend a bit on the studio? Like Trigger's backgrounds are sort of done in house.

Also what exactly do you mean by finishing? Post production stuff?

No it doesn't depend on the studio, because when I'm not excluding the fact that some studios have background art staff internally. Ufotable does too. But it's never enough. The amount of art you need to produce would require the output of a dedicated art studio. That's why that background art studios are for. So you can have internal artists doing the important parts and taking the lead, but you'll have to outsource the majority of work to a background studio anyway.

Finishing is basically the final clean-up and coloring of all animation frames. It's a shitload of work so you'll also outsource whenever possible just to have stuff done in a same amount of time. Lol.

Narag

CR announces another slate of shows.

Wolf Girl and the short anime are the ones I'm checking out. GF (Beta) isn't debuting this week, and I expect them to get AmaBri at some point in the future. The only shows I need picked up to have my schedule complete are Chaika (a given) and Trinity Seven (expected). Also GF.

Still a bit annoyed that they've been slacking on Climb so much, but it was also confirmed recently that Girlfriend (Beta) will have no male characters in it. I have no problem with this.

Neat, will update the streaming schedule later.

Quasar

World Trigger Episode 1:

Ergh, I have had enough of TOEI's dodgy production values for one day and the generic everything isn't helping, I pass on this one.

I started and got distracted by the translation of megane-kun as four-eyes.

Jarmel

Banned
No it doesn't depend on the studio, because when I'm not excluding the fact that some studios have background art staff internally. Ufotable does too. But it's never enough. The amount of art you need to produce would require the output of a dedicated art studio. That's why that background art studios are for. So you can have internal artists doing the important parts and taking the lead, but you'll have to outsource the majority of work to a background studio anyway.

Finishing is basically the final clean-up and coloring of all animation frames. It's a shitload of work so you'll also outsource whenever possible just to have stuff done in a same amount of time. Lol.

Yea I screwed up reading up your post and realized that right after I posted. Ufotable does have a sizable number of background artists but they have to outsource stuff to Easter as well.

So wouldn't post production (such as CGI and digital effects) be a fourth category that is mostly outsourced as well?

Watamote 10

There were a few good jokes and some good Haruhi references peppered throughout the episode. That being said this show is just depressing at this point. Really making me wonder what the point is, if there is one.

I Can't Understand What My Husband is Saying 1

AnimeGAF: The Anime

Oh my God.....

This guy is just the embodiment of AnimeGAF. It's like they read one of our OT's and were like "oh this should be fun".

Now I am curious.

fertygo

Well, there are a number of first person shots, but one in particular really takes the cake:

rinfixj2rfn.gif

There are a number of 'off' factors about this moment which all add together to give me a sense of general unease.

- Firstly, there's the extremely 'anime' movements that Rin partakes in during this sequence. This goes hand in hand with her 'tsun' reactions earlier. It's all part of the fetishisation of her character.

- There's the noticeable change in music towards a more wistful tone. I can't really speak for how 'earned' this is, but it gives the sequence a bizarre romantic undercurrent out of literally nowhere.

- Then there's the use of first person perspective from the character of Archer, a person with very little (so far) in the way of real personality, a blank slate for the viewer to easily project themselves on. Are we looking through Archers eyes, or are we looking through our own eyes at Rin as she looks into ours? You can't understand why these feels as creepy as all the shots in the first episode of the Idolm@ster ?

Heck, Archer is even an amnesiac, a classical player/reader surrogate figure!
We need the equivalent of Rinlaugh.gif from DEEN's anime ASAP

Btw eps 0 was pretty great but seeing they had no interest to trim the fat I'm not so looking forward to first 3 day adaptation lol

But Shirou summon Saber already, so maybe not so slow?

Not really no, as I've mentioned before F/sn came first and the worst you'll miss are a scene or two about Shirou and Rin's Otou-sans. Even then these scenes are being made in mind for both new and old fans, so it'll be nothing more than "oh look it's Rin's Billy Goat dad or look it's Kerrytoosugugu".

Nah anything of importance will be revealed in due time.

Oh, okay. Thanks. I am pretty sure I remember the two mage families, and they are probably the fathers you are talking about (Tokiomi and Kiritsugu)

duckroll

Yea I screwed up reading up your post and realized that right after I posted. Ufotable does have a sizable number of background artists but they have to outsource stuff to Easter as well.

So wouldn't post production (such as CGI and digital effects) be a fourth category that is mostly outsourced as well?

CG, digital effects, and composite falls increasingly under the "it depends" category these days. For most studios the answer would still be yes, because not every studio has full digital departments who can handle the entire workload. But I think more and more studios are realizing the importance of this and have been expanding their departments.

We've also seen the advent of more full CG studios so that's also pretty interesting. Like, if a production co-credits Orange for example, and they handle all the CG internally for that show, it wouldn't really be considered outsourcing would it? Ufotable also handles pretty much all the composite and digital work in-house because they have a really strong digital department. They might outsource some stuff if they really need to, but that would be an exception, not a norm.

Obviously there are exceptions to everything if we keep looking, but as a general guide, at least off the top of my head, those are the main categories which no anime studio in Japan can do without outsourcing at all, simply because it's impractical and there's no real downside to it.

Jarmel

Banned
World Trigger-1
Fuck. I was hoping this would be something like my B-rate guilty pleasure show.

People laughing at that DEEN gif need to watch this show. It's the first episode and already there are so many shots with characters off-model. The action sequences are cheap as fuck.

The whole thing is just a mess.

yami4ct

Fate/Stay Night [Unlimited Blade Works]: Episode 0

That's probably the best adaptation of the FSN prologue I've could have hoped for. UFOtable has really focused on what works in the VN and refined it to probably the best it could ever be. The problems intrinsic to the story are still going to be there, but they've definitely created something far more enjoyable than the VN was. It was a gorgeous, well paced and just generally very well done adaptation. Let's see if they can handle Shriou coming in and fucking stuff up.

A couple things I did notice and want to point out. UFOtable's CG cars are still hilariously bad. It's definitely funny to see these undefiled boxes on wheels amidst the otherwise gorgeous art. The other thing is how UFOtable really created a nice melancholic tone throughout the whole episode that the VN really didn't have. Even the slice of life scenes had a nice sense of foreboding and dread. It's a nice change from the VN's boring almost too saccharine take on those scenes. The color, lighting and music used created so much wonderful atmosphere that probably improved those scenes 10 fold from the original VN. Really hoping they keep that up and don't revert tone once Shriou comes in.

Jintor

Watamote 10

There were a few good jokes and some good Haruhi references peppered throughout the episode. That being said this show is just depressing at this point. Really making me wonder what the point is, if there is one. .

I think the point is zetsuboushita

Fate/Stay Night 00

ibuuuEa3RlM7zT.jpg

I like this dude he is cool

As someone who knows only the basics of this series, I thought it was a pretty good first episode. Nice and pretty (besides the character art, what's wrong with your face Rin?), fight was cool, music was good, laid down the concepts well enough (I understood all the terminology and stuff fine.)
But this sexual tension between Rin and A Cha is ridiculous is this going to go on the entire series

Log Horizon S2 01

OP IS STILL DATABASE DATABASE DENIERS BLOWN THE FUCK OUT
And the ED is still Akatsuki focused, I'm sure Dresden is super happy.

Kind of a confusing episode with all the jumping around (The Opening? The Ending? What's going oooooooooooon), and the show looks worse now, and it wasn't pretty before, but not really enough to be flipping tables over. Some things look worse, a lot of things look mostly the same.

Not really a bad first episode, just a confusingly directed one. Hope this improves.

Sword Art Online II 14

The best part of this episode is how Kirito doesn't introduce Asuna as his girlfriend, making Sinon's indoctrination into the harem more painful.

I don't even want to mention the syringe part.

I Can't Understand What My Husband Is Saying 01

I wish I could screencap the whole episode but this will do.

Might check out that Joker show too.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Saw Madoka Rebellion. Full thoughts later but...

..wat

...bruh

AI
YO

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
World Trigger-1

People laughing at that DEEN gif need to watch this show. It's the first episode and already there are so many shots with characters off-model. The action sequences are cheap as fuck.

Oh, don't forget the scenes where still shots are being passed off as action, that was myh favorite.

World Trigger-1

No reason to be surprised it's adapted by Toei. So yeah it's definitely gonna look cheap.

Soma

Finished the Parasyte manga.

Now hyped for the anime.

C'moooooooooooonnnnnnnnnn Madhouse don't fail us. ;_;

rrvv

Saw Madoka Rebellion. Full thoughts later but...

..wat

...bruh

Best thing that coming out from madoka franchise.

I always found the movies is definition of "careful what you wish for ". Pretty sure there is sizeable fan base that demand "everyone have nice school life together " ending. Well you do get what you wish for. But in slightly twisted way

Soma

so wait i'm a little confused

because it's an animator's style, people are not allowed to dislike a certain design even if it looks off in context?

or what

Principate

Saint Titanfall

because it's an animator's style, people are not allowed to dislike a certain design even if it looks off in context?

or what

I think he's just pointing out why it's like that.

No nose is still generally considered fairly bad.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss

or what

the overall artstyle of Yuyushiki is much more conducive to that kind of chara design then something pretending to be more serious like Fate/*

or what

I'm just trying to give some explanation since I've seen a lot of people comment on the subject and this tweet came up. People are free to like what they like.

cajunator

Banned
Nobody is shouting "DEEEEN" . it's like you aren't reading the reasons why some people are legit disapointed by the first episode.

I like Deen a lot, but they arent the greatest studio.

Is this fate/stay night a remake or a new one? Should I watch this before fate/zero?

It honestly doesnt matter. Both are stand alone stories and can be viewed separately in any order.

On the subject of Log Horizon's animation, I think it's fair to say that a downgrade should have been expected the moment Studio DEEN was revealed to be animating it. Even in the shows they made that are of good quality, the animation looks like crap. Just look at these beautiful frames of animation from Higurashi.

Higurashi is kind of supposed to have that grotesque horrible look to the characters though. Deen got that part absolutely right.

[Fate/Stay Talking] - 01

This certainly looked good. Ufotable are truly the Koyani of wasting talent and resources on shlock.

Here are my thoughts:

- These character designs are still garbage. Having these triangle faced weirdos against set beautiful rendered backdrops spoils the effort. If you're going to pay such lavish attention to the setting why not do the same for the faces?

- All these 1st person 'V/N' style shots are creepy as all hell.

- This fight was cool, I guess, but as it's not even the first episode there's zero tension.

- Rin's whole "turn to the side and blush like a 'tsun" routine got tired immediately.

- I wasn't bored.

Thats Rin's whole claim to fame. If she DOESNT do that people would be disappointed!

XenoRaven

I finished Gurren Lagann today. It was pretty enjoyable, but I think I liked Kill la Kill more. It's partially because I waited so long on Gurren Lagann and it was so popular but I had basically everything spoiled for me ahead of time.
Specifically, I knew Kamina would die, and I knew their power would eventually increase to the point where there'd be mecha hurling entire galaxies at each other as weapons.
I think some of the shine wears off if you already know. Also
all the characters you grow to like either die or have a person they're in love with die and they end up living alone the rest of their lives. It kind of bummed me out.

All in all, it was fun and I'm glad I watched it. Now I'm moving on to finish Attack on Titan.

Branduil

future ann reviewer

Got a long ways to go to compete with this:

So I suppose it's only to be expected that on the back of an episode that exemplifies many of Sword Art Online's worst instincts, Gun Gale Online would come to a close with an episode featuring it at its absolute best.

Fortunately, for once, Sinon actually got to be the hero - I actually shouted “yes!” out loud when she
slammed Kyouji with her music player

SAO's exploration of the idea that people “lose touch with reality” actually grasps at the true nature of what that means - it's not that people truly can't tell the real world from a virtual one, it's that people's priorities, and even the way they construct their identity, can become distanced from their physical selves. Even if you can tell the difference between a physical and virtual world, if everything that makes you feel powerful and valued only exists in the virtual one, what gives the real world any personal validity? And Sinon's final point that “wherever you are is reality” doesn't really deny this. SAO's constant grappling with ideas of identity, reality, and how we find strength has never been more nuanced than here.

n both the emotional and thematic front, this episode acted as a nearly perfect bookend to the core concepts of GGO, and ended this arc more gracefully than I ever really expected. Nice work, SAO.

Rating: A-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom