• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

CR announces another slate of shows.

Wolf Girl and the short anime are the ones I'm checking out. GF (Beta) isn't debuting this week, and I expect them to get AmaBri at some point in the future. The only shows I need picked up to have my schedule complete are Chaika (a given) and Trinity Seven (expected). Also GF.

Still a bit annoyed that they've been slacking on Climb so much, but it was also confirmed recently that Girlfriend (Beta) will have no male characters in it. I have no problem with this.

Wow, they really got Mysterious Joker. That's neat!

Mature

CR announces another slate of shows.

Wolf Girl and the short anime are the ones I'm checking out. GF (Beta) isn't debuting this week, and I expect them to get AmaBri at some point in the future. The only shows I need picked up to have my schedule complete are Chaika (a given) and Trinity Seven (expected). Also GF.

Still a bit annoyed that they've been slacking on Climb so much, but it was also confirmed recently that Girlfriend (Beta) will have no male characters in it. I have no problem with this.
Oh, wow, they got Kaitou Joker? Will watch.

Branduil

Sword Art Online II - 14

iOLxowdvseYXP.jpg

CONGRATULATIONS CARNE ASADA

One of the few actually interesting things about this show is that it's an awful show with talented people working on it. So you have stuff like some great character animation/acting in the last scene, and yet it's still an over-the-top schmaltz fest. And there's also the terrible backstory dump scene where our heroes discuss the dark and disturbed motives of the antagonists in a brightly-lit cake shop while sipping tea.

I also love how Kirito failed to disclose his relationship status to Sinon.

I really like F/Z's Lancer, too. He was hot.

F/SN's Lancer is a big downgrade.

FZ's lancer was boring chivalrous dude. What he turned into in
his death scene
was metal as shit though.

FSN's lancer, design aside, is so much more of an interesting character. In UBW specifically he earns many FZ Rider points in his manliness.

Quasar

Ushinawareta Mirai wo Motomete 1 - Well. That End bit after the hospital scene and before 'next episode' was a bit weird. Good way to 'ruin the cliffhanger'.

Fate/Stay Night 0 -Unlimited Blade Works-

This is a really solid start compared to Fate/Zero. Pacing was better, exposition was more organic and we got an amazing fight scene right off the bat. I like everyone so far including Rin. I particularly feel like Archer and Rin really started to understand each other towards the middle of the episode after a rocky start and work together well. A number of things:

- Lancer not as chivalrous as the one from Fate/Zero. I miss old Lancer. :/
- Was that
Gilgamesh
talking with Sakura?
- New Archer felt like he had a cool stubborn personality. Then he became a blank slate. Not a fan. Though he seems to have retained a little personality and I am glad they worked out their differences.... but still. A little banter wouldn't have hurt.
- Fight was amazing!
- The summoning sequence and
jumping from the rooftop
were amazing feats of animation. Really, really pretty.

All in all, a really good opening episode. I am excited to see how ufotable handles this adaptation. First episode has me excited.

360pages

Honestly, I also a lot of designs from Fate/Prototype seem closer to what the characters would actually dress like from their time period. Slightly more historically accurate.

Jex

Sword Art Online II - 14

One of the few actually interesting things about this show is that it's an awful show with talented people working on it. So you have stuff like some great character animation/acting in the last scene, and yet it's still an over-the-top schmaltz fest. And there's also the terrible backstory dump scene where our heroes discuss the dark and disturbed motives of the antagonists in a brightly-lit cake shop while sipping tea.

Well, she should have checked his facebook.

phaze

What?! Lancer in Fate/Zero was awesome. He didn't deserve his fate. I just thought the two of them were doofuses. Not to say that Rider wasn't awesome when he fought. Because he was.
How Rider went out earned my respect.
But I wasn't as attached to the pair as some others here.

I'm with you. They were an alright duo but nothing special. Most of their comic relief bits left me cold.

Still no Parasyte and Akatsuki. :[

FZ's lancer was boring chivalrous dude. What he turned into in
his death scene
was metal as shit though.

FSN's lancer, design aside, is so much more of an interesting character. In UBW specifically he earns many FZ Rider points in his manliness.

What in the shit?!?! Fate/Zero Lancer was awesome. One of the better characters and honest to a fault. How can you hate a character like that?

SAO II - 14

Well I guess if the adrenaline is rushing through you it's plausible that you fail to notice the syringe not penetrating the skin? I guess it just broke off because of the bullshit sensor and Rapy failed to notice due to how fucking unlikely s.th. like that is.

Not sure why the show is trying to tell us Kirito's gonna die. Even if he was injected with that shit he'd just shrug it off somehow.

Then the girl delinquents are so mean that they take no issue holding and firing a pellet (or whatever it was) gun into someones face while standing in the open on a brightly lit day. *shrug*

Then there's lots of exposition after the fact, when we no longer need to care about the villains. I'm not sure why the author is always trying to shine these laughably evil villains in a better light afterwards but no, just because the online world has become real for Rapeface that doesn't even come close to excusing any of his behavior. Sinon...he fucking wanted to rape you and everything, how can you talk about him so calmly and as if he didn't actually have that many issues. He's a murderer (accomplice?) too for crying out loud.

Oh and then the best part. Kirito and Sinon apologize to investigation official for taking up his time LOL. That ass didn't even contribute anything to your cause but you apologize for taking up 10mins of his time, genius.

The episode concluded with Kirito fixing most of Sinon's last remaining issues but we already know that's his job and he's good at it. At least the dialogue wasn't as cringe worthy for that sequence.

Now I'll only have to watch one more episode, conclude that this person (bet he/she got banned for that statement!) and everyone who agrees with him is completely wrong and be done with the show for good. Hate-watching had plenty merits with a show this ludicrous but eventually enough is enough.

What in the shit?!?! Fate/Zero Lancer was awesome. One of the better characters and honest to a fault. How can you hate a character like that?

Because in a show filled with interesting characters he didn't stand out. He was a chivalrous knight. We had a myriad of personalities and his stood out the least. It's not like I'm the only one who thought so, I didn't say anything to my two friends when we were watching it and both came to the conclusion that he was the worst servant in terms of design/personality up until that one scene I mentioned earlier, which then became a "man why couldn't he be like this the whole time".

We already had Saber in the chivalrous to a fault camp, we didn't need another.

edit: probably doesn't help that I associate the 'chivalrous' personality with m'ladies and white knights though.

rrvv

tempted t watch new F/SN. but after F/Z. I promised myself to not watch any nasuverse

not because F/Z is bad show. is good in all account. but it simply never click me despite me watching all of it. consider OG F/SN and Kara no Kyoukai did same thing to me. I simply dismiss it that nasuverse simply not my taste

Mr.Jeff

Really? I would never have guessed.

Gundam Wing - 06

So we finally get some clarification about what the Gundam pilots are doing. Evil plots being perpetrated by smug looking evil people continue on as normal. Relena endures a heartfelt scene which loses some it's impact since the character has been on screen less than a dozen times. Quatre and Trowa reveal that their meeting had absolutely zero meaning at all.

Despite all that, there's still some nice framing and animation going on. During the standoff with Heero and Duo(I think?), Duo, the emotional one, is framed in red and Heero, the cooler, detached one is framed in blue/navy. (This is probably baby level direction but I noticed it at least)

tempted t watch new F/SN. but after F/Z. I promised myself to not watch any nasuverse

not because F/Z is bad show. is good in all account. but it simply never click me despite me watching all of it. consider OG F/SN and Kara no Kyoukai did same thing to me. I simply dismiss it that nasuverse simply not my taste

If f/z didn't click with you, just don't bother.

Because in a show filled with interesting characters he didn't stand out. He was a chivalrous knight. We had a myriad of personalities and his stood out the least. It's not like I'm the only one who thought so, I didn't say anything to my two friends when we were watching it and both came to the conclusion that he was the worst servant in terms of design/personality up until that one scene I mentioned earlier, which then became a "man why couldn't he be like this the whole time".

edit: probably doesn't help that I associate the 'chivalrous' personality with m'ladies and white knights though.

i'd have to agree that he doesn't stand out, but i would say he's better than Berserker and Assassin.

cajunator

Banned
From the New World Ep. 4

The info dump could have been handled better but I'm really getting into this.

It only keeps getting better too. Pay close attention to EVERYTHING.

I really should restart From The New World soon. Was digging it when I was watching, don't really remember how I got distracted.

Yes please continue! Its very good!
Its not always that I love something enough to actually remember most of the details but I can think of so many memorable moments of this show.

First they came for the Keyists, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not a Keyist.

Then they came for the Databases, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not in a Database.

Then they came for the Typemoonies, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not a Typemoonie.

Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak for me.

Where did this silly quotation come from originally? I know its from something and has been used in different ways..

Steins;Gate - 11

Hmm, Kurisu's backstory with her father is pretty interesting. Didn't expect
it to involve her own father being jealous of her own daughter's talents being better than his.

And holy shit at
the latest message from SERN. I almost jumped out of my seat at that moment.

Steins;Gate - 10

Someone is onto Okarin. Part-time warrior disappears, and the machine that crashed into the building is gone.

Kurisu Makise being best girl.

Prediction, Part-time warrior is from the future and is Okarin's daughter.

i have no idea im making shit up.

Kurisu is indeed the bestest best girl and her Father is a stupid piece of shit. Also please do continue because I cant wait to see what you think of the rest!

Fate/Stay Night 00 -

I sincerely enjoyed this. It goes without saying that the Ufotable seal of quality is written all over this series and everything from the quality of the effects, art, and animation style all have their signature look and feel. But as this new adaptation for the series is based on the second route of the VN I'm glad that they went ahead and decided to adapt the prologue arc while they were at it, if for no other reason than to give us a glimpse at the series this could have been had Rin been the main character instead.

As an introductory episode though I think I can safely say that it started out stronger than Fate/Zero did in comparison. There was distinctly more things actually "happening" during its course and I think the lack of Urobuchi's heavy handed style of exposition was obvious in the more focused progression of events. Though given that Stay Night doesn't attempt to really focus in on as many different perspectives I guess that's a pretty obvious result.

All and all, as a fan of the VN, I'm really looking forward to seeing how this one progresses

I'm with you. They were an alright duo but nothing special. Most of their comic relief bits left me cold.

Glad I am not the only one.

I got the impression that you didn't like him that much when I read your TTGL impressions at the time, thought that could just be me.

But it's all good.

I remember in the first two episodes I watched you were trying to convince me to believe Kamina's was amazing. I just didn't agree at the time because I didn't get to his amazing moments yet.

But yeah, that's old news. :p

We are just gonna have to agree to disagree on this one. I thought his personality was one of the reasons he stood out. He was one of the few
Saber respected and subsequently was devastated to see what her master did to him
. He was of great importance and honestly was one of the most fun to watch fight.

Ufotable please

Yeah, see, this is what I was talking about earlier. Every time a shot was from Rin's side it would look super weird. Don't know what happened there. I didn't let it affect my enjoyment of the episode but it was a little annoying when it happened.

360pages

So, tossing this out there. How many of you have read Tokyo Demons? The first book is free online and I'm currently reading through it. It's super slow just to tell you, and it is indeed a book.

We already had Saber in the chivalrous camp, we didn't need another.

Lancer has nothing on Rider, but I thought he was pretty cool in his own right. Give him some credit, he at least has more character and relevancy than Assassin.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Sword Art Online II - 14

He must like his harem.

Also lol @ Carne Asada. Was thinking it the whole time.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Lancer has nothing on Rider, but I thought he was pretty cool in his own right. Give him some credit, he at least has more character and relevancy than Assassin.

Obviously you have to get further on in the story before you understand what he means by that statement since obviously he develops.

I preferred Isklander but lancer was still good, FSN Archer and isklander are still my favourite servants still love the duality of Archer..

cajunator

Banned
Woo, new Log Horizon soon, had lost track on that series. Who else is hype?

SO HYPE

Hyouka 22 (rewatch):
FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK

I'm not ready for this to end ;~;

Not only is it ended but there will never ever be any more of it ever ever ever.

So, as someone who has consumed 0 content from the fate series, is it ok to jump into the new one fresh?

Yeah, FSN i pretty standalone, storywise.

From the New World Ep. 6

While they are prodigies,
I don't think Satoru's abilities were built up enough. His feats in this episode stretched my suspension of disbelief because nothing he or any of the other kids had done prior had been on this level. While he did tire himself out it was still a bit much.

Satoru is just as capable as the others but he has particularly good control over his powers. They are all capable of doing that really.

TUSR

Banned

My words exactly when I got there, I had to pause the episode.

Hyouka 22 (rewatch):
FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK

I'm not ready for this to end ;~;

It will end and you will be eternally sad. Then you will rewatch it, and so the cycle repeats.

Please CR pick up Amagi before Monday.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works 0

I'm a fan of the Fate series because for better or worse, I love the visuals of the characters. Shoot me all you want but I always loved the characters in KnK, F/SN, and F/Z. Having said that, this episode was an absolute scorgasm of visual glory that ufotable has to offer. I don't think there is any studio out there that can make a show look this damn good for a weekly tv anime series. None. Having said that, I felt like everything else about the episode didn't live up to my expectations of the show.

For instance, I found the lack of characters extremely obnoxious and the blocking of Shirou's face even more obnoxious. Let's hide shit just for the sake of. Piss off. I understand the intent of making a Rin-centric episode but I think it's done at the cost of introducing essential characters and showing how they actually relate to the overall plot. Whatever.

To further add to the problem I just didn't enjoy the lack of character dynamics. You are only introduced to Rin and Archer in all honesty. You only get to see their interactions and no one else's. I guess the one that comes the closest would be Rin and Sakura's but that's hinted at. Doesn't even scratch the surface.

I think the episode tried too hard to allude to something when it really should've just explained it, and really delve into something that really didn't need 30 minutes of delving into. Maybe I was just spoiled as to how spectacular the first episode of Fate/Zero. This episode just felt bland.

TUSR

Banned
Kurisu is indeed the bestest best girl and her Father is a stupid piece of shit. Also please do continue because I cant wait to see what you think of the rest!

Im looking after my parents dogs this weekend and I brought my Steins;Gate BD with me. So ill probably get at least 3 more episodes in tonight.

Edit: Should have edited this into my last post. Woops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom