• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works 0

I'm a fan of the Fate series because for better or worse, I love the visuals of the characters. Shoot me all you want but I always loved the characters in KnK, F/SN, and F/Z. Having said that, this episode was an absolute scorgasm of visual glory that ufotable has to offer. I don't think there is any studio out there that can make a show look this damn good for a weekly tv anime series. None. Having said that, I felt like everything else about the episode didn't live up to my expectations of the show.

For instance, I found the lack of characters extremely obnoxious and the blocking of Shirou's face even more obnoxious. Let's hide shit just for the sake of. Piss off. I understand the intent of making a Rin-centric episode but I think it's done at the cost of introducing essential characters and showing how they actually relate to the overall plot. Whatever.

To further add to the problem I just didn't enjoy the lack of character dynamics. You are only introduced to Rin and Archer in all honesty. You only get to see their interactions and no one else's. I guess the one that comes the closest would be Rin and Sakura's but that's hinted at. Doesn't even scratch the surface.

I think the episode tried too hard to allude to something and really delve into something that really didn't need 30 minutes of delving into. Maybe I was just spoiled as to how spectacular the first episode of Fate/Zero. This episode just felt bland.

It's called episode 0 largely because of the complaints you listed. This isn't the actual story yet this is Rin's story,the actual story starts with episode 1 and the protagonist.

Also I don't mind that the blocking of Shirou's it does set the character apart in comparison to every other character Rin meets, because their all side characters, in comparison to the actual main character.

Fireblend

Banned
So, so far:

Denki-Gai - I'm giving it a couple more episodes. The first one was kinda hit-and-miss for me, but it had its moments.

Gundam Reconguista - This is the kind of mess I can't help but watch out of curiosity, but probably not for long if it gets any more mediocre.

Fate/Stay Night - Really nice. Kind of wish I'd played the VN first or watched Fate/Zero to actually be able to follow the discussion though :p

Not even going to try Madam no Ou (...) or that Otaku Husband one. Come on season, I know you have at least another good one in you.

jgminto

G Gundam 11
iMFTpeyscoVO9.png
So Domon's dad was apparently working on a project that turned rats into metallic, killer virus spreaders but somehow didn't know this was a weapon? Right...
The romantic tension was insane this episode. Much more intense than I'd ever expect from a show about a robot fighting championship and the soundtrack this episode only multiplied the tension.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works Episode 0:

It is good to know that people still die when they are killed unless they are not. Anyway, so we once again return to the genesis of the Fate universe, this time under the guidance of Ufotable and if nothing else, this will be the Terror in Resonance of the season. Excellent production values and supreb music and sound, shitty characterization and writing. Still, this was a much better opening episode then Fate/Zero had and actually made Rin seem somewhat kind of sort of likable for a moment.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
So, so far:

Denki-Gai - I'm giving it a couple more episodes. The first one was kinda hit-and-miss for me, but it had its moments.

Gundam Reconguista - This is the kind of mess I can't help but watch out of curiosity, but probably not for long if it gets any more mediocre.

Fate/Stay Night - Really nice. Kind of wish I'd played the VN first or watched Fate/Zero to actually be able to follow the discussion though :p

Not even going to try Madam no Ou (...) or that Otaku Husband one. Come on season, I know you have at least another good one in you.

Well, there is Log Horizon Season 2.

Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works 0

I'm a fan of the Fate series because for better or worse, I love the visuals of the characters. Shoot me all you want but I always loved the characters in KnK, F/SN, and F/Z. Having said that, this episode was an absolute scorgasm of visual glory that ufotable has to offer. I don't think there is any studio out there that can make a show look this damn good for a weekly tv anime series. None. Having said that, I felt like everything else about the episode didn't live up to my expectations of the show.

For instance, I found the lack of characters extremely obnoxious and the blocking of Shirou's face even more obnoxious. Let's hide shit just for the sake of. Piss off. I understand the intent of making a Rin-centric episode but I think it's done at the cost of introducing essential characters and showing how they actually relate to the overall plot. Whatever.

To further add to the problem I just didn't enjoy the lack of character dynamics. You are only introduced to Rin and Archer in all honesty. You only get to see their interactions and no one else's. I guess the one that comes the closest would be Rin and Sakura's but that's hinted at. Doesn't even scratch the surface.

I think the episode tried too hard to allude to something when it really should've just explained it, and really delve into something that really didn't need 30 minutes of delving into. Maybe I was just spoiled as to how spectacular the first episode of Fate/Zero. This episode just felt bland.

Well it's called episode 00 for a reason, this a prologue. The actual story (if ufotable are following the VN) starts with Shirou's perspective next episode then carries on through said perspective through the rest of the series.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works Episode 0:

It is good to know that people still die when they are killed unless they are not. Anyway, so we once again return to the genesis of the Fate universe, this time under the guidance of Ufotable and if nothing else, this will be the Terror in Resonance of the season. Excellent production values and supreb music and sound, shitty characterization and writing. Still, this was a much better opening episode then Fate/Zero had and actually made
Rin seem somewhat kind of sort of likable for a moment

Your about as Tsundere as Rin is there.

Obviously not literally but it was a funny set of words.

cajunator

Banned
THIS IS WHAT SAILOR MOON CRYSTAL ACTUALLY LOOKS LIKE

csmoonlybff.png

Its like they tried to echo the old big hair, skinny body look and forgot to make it aesthetically pleasing.

Terra Formars - 02

Lord give me strength to endure this censoring. Atleast I found best girl.

Decent episode, I do wonder how the enemy got on the ship. Unless they were some sort of samples brought onboard that escaped.

This censoring is getting absolutely ridiculous. I thought Blood C went overboard but this looks way worse.

Utena - 08

This anime sure gets whimsical at times. This episode especially so with the body-swapping-curry.

You have NO idea how insane this show can get yet.

Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! - 01

Darku flamu masta
So this is the source of all those gifs and youtube videos I've seen around

It's pretty charming with all the quirky stuff, like the train door opening. Right now Takanashi is on a thin line between cute and annoying, but as times goes on I bet I'll embrace the chuuni
I found the shame of Yuuta's past hilarious, as he so desperately tries to leave it behind. Dat Shinka tho.

This may be relevant to your interests:
http://auaurikka.web.fc2.com/
Touka is the best though!

This is gonna be my face whenI watch this show from now on. I am legit scared to continue.

Seriously, I haven't felt this feeling of dread in an anime ever since Madoka.

You're getting the wrong kind of excitement, it doesn't turn into ultimate despair, it's just that the seeds the lighter slice of life episodes had start to bloom into what makes the show great.

I haven't posted here in a long time but I guess I have to start again eventually ^.^

So I watched Fate/Zero a couple years ago. I liked it a lot. But I don't remember much about it. I just finished watching Fate/SN episode 0 and I feel there are a couple references I am missing (Heroic Spirit of Lancer, weak mage family). Am I going to miss a lot by not fully remembering F/Z?

Blusby

I haven't posted here in a long time but I guess I have to start again eventually ^.^

So I watched Fate/Zero a couple years ago. I liked it a lot. But I don't remember much about it. I just finished watching Fate/SN episode 0 and I feel there are a couple references I am missing (Heroic Spirit of Lancer, weak mage family). Am I going to miss a lot by not fully remembering F/Z?

Not really no, as I've mentioned before F/sn came first and the worst you'll miss are a scene or two about Shirou and Rin's Otou-sans. Even then these scenes are being made in mind for both new and old fans, so it'll be nothing more than "oh look it's Rin's Billy Goat dad or look it's Kerrytoosugugu".

Principate

Saint Titanfall

Nah anything of importance will be revealed in due time.

You're getting the wrong kind of excitement, it doesn't turn into ultimate despair, it's just that the seeds the lighter slice of life episodes had start to bloom into what makes the show great.

I hope not, but with the show's last message
from SERN showing that bloody disembodied head, it's hard to believe that some scary shit isn't about to go down right now.

Quasar

Madan no ou to Vanadis 1 - Not the worst thing ever. Pretty bland. Not sure exactly how I see Robin gathering all the warrior princesses yet.

SAO II 14

So uh... they're just not going to comment on the fact bully girl was just going to shoot her? I mean, even if it is just a bb or pellet gun, that shit's damn cruel to underplay like that.

Andrew J.

UBW 00

I wonder if the Rin/Archer setup works effectively on the level of wish fulfillment for girls. It's too bad there aren't more women regularly posting in this thread. Off the top of my head I can only think of Femmeworth, who's not exactly the right person to answer that question for at least a couple of reasons.

Watamote 8

Tomoko's idiocy knows no bounds. Show is starting to grind on me. Had it's moments I guess. Silver Link..... you could've done so much more with this show...

Well, it certainly doesn't get any better from there. There was a singular funny moment in that show where Tomoko says she peed herself and that's about it.

FSn Unlimited blade works - 00

This was pretty good.. loved the view from the skyscrapper above. Loved the talks between archer & rin.
Loved the archer vs lancer warm-up

I have like no complains at all. if they can keep this quality for the entire show then i'm GAME.

ah this episode :

1412464425890.gif

So good , give me more

Quasar

SAO II 14

So uh... they're just not going to comment on the fact bully girl was just going to shoot her? I mean, even if it is just a bb or pellet gun, that shit's damn cruel to underplay like that.

Do you really expect SAO to go off onto a story about Shinon reporting it to the school where the kids get suspended, their parents told, maybe the police involved and then the school apologising and probably social fallout in the school assuming those bullies are popular kids?

That aint happening anymore than the SAO kids being in therapy for years and being terrified of VR helmets.

Branduil

Fate/Stay Night 0

Horrendous wedge faces aside, that was basically what I expected. Great background art and art direction, lively animation, silly story, sexual tension, dynamic and visceral action. Still better than Fate/Zero 1.

I expect things to get much worse when Shirou becomes the main character.

I lost it when I saw Jesus Yamato's twin in the OP. Short brown hair, same naked pose facing opposite the female MC and everything.

I'm like, "really?"

Just saw a chart of screenshots. i weird comparaison set of shots between this and gundam seed/destiny.

i'm scared now.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
maybe duckroll can answer this, roughly how much stuff is outsourced when animating a show? I remember you saying it's quite a common practice but I'm sort of interested on average how much of a show is usually outsourced.

Jarmel

Banned
maybe duckroll can answer this, roughly how much stuff is outsourced when animating a show? I remember you saying it's quite a common practice but I'm sort of interested on average how much of a show is usually outsourced.

Doesn't it depend on the studio? Stuff like inbetweens are almost always outsourced. Background art it depends but is also usually outsourced.

Midonin

Happiness Charge Precure! 35

Yuyu is amazing. In food, in her lesson on how to make Honey Candy, and in her Innocent Form, which takes down giant monster birds like it ain't no thing. Seeing what it's like for her to have a day on the job is great. Wish her older sister could've made an appearance. Finally, it's Megumi's turn to shine. Which can only mean a new, even bigger bang is coming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom