• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quasar

FSN 00 - Yep. I still have no interest in watching Rin. Guess I might watch one more episode to see this versions Saber and Shiro, but am pretty sure I'll be dropping this due to pointnone.

Ushinawareta Mirai o Motomete 1

This is a first episode done right for a series. Had no idea what to expect going into this, but the opening scene gives it a somewhat dark and mysterious vibe. Then it opens with the main characters and the relationships he has with everyone, and you can tell pretty much how things are between them and where they stand. You think it's just a comedy or slice of life but there was that opening scene that reminds you this isn't that type of show, as well as the calendar. Then the ending happens and bam, now I really want to see the next ep. A definite watch for me this season. I got some Steins;Gate vibe from it in terms of direction and story.

Fall 2014 is kicking Summer 2014's ass to the curb hardcore right now with just this and Log Horizon 2.

Quasar

Ushinawareta Mirai o Motomete 1

This is a first episode done right for a series. Had no idea what to expect going into this, but the opening scene gives it a somewhat dark and mysterious vibe. Then it opens with the main characters and the relationships he has with everyone, and you can tell pretty much how things are between them and where they stand. You think it's just a comedy or slice of life but there was that opening scene that reminds you this isn't that type of show, as well as the calendar. Then the ending happens and bam, now I really want to see the next ep. A definite watch for me this season.

Though I thought the scene after the hospital scene completely ruined the whole thing.

Jex

The names for Heavy Object's characters are some of the funniest shit I've read all week.

Alicia Sloppyjoes
Sladder Honeysuckle
Charlotte Zoom
Stacy Palmetto
Waydine Uptown
Salassa Grimshifter
Roybertz Oldnick

"Has anime gone too far?"

The names for Heavy Object's characters are some of the funniest shit I've read all week.

Alicia Sloppyjoes
Sladder Honeysuckle
Charlotte Zoom
Stacy Palmetto
Waydine Uptown
Salassa Grimshifter
Roybertz Oldnick

I guess the author is inspired by Tomino's naming sense

Though I thought the scene after the hospital scene completely ruined the whole thing.

Really? I thought the scene was a good cliff-hanger. You're seeing the same scene again except now something different happens, which indicates some sort of time travel or alternate time-line. It has you thinking, and it also teases the new character.

Quasar

Really? I thought the scene was a good cliff-hanger. You're seeing the same scene again except now something different happens, which indicates some sort of time travel or alternate time-line. It has you thinking, and it also teases the new character.

See I completely didn't get that at all. Didn't even realise it was a repeated scene. To me it just looked like a scene shortly after the hospital scene which ruined the cliffhanger and made no sense to me.

Guess I need to rewatch the end.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
FSN 00

That battle scene is amazing.
Based UFOTABLE.

Of course, everything else is also great. The BG, the OST. I'm pleased.

Thoraxes

Cross Ange - 01

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

In the first episode we have
planning for incest, a coup d'etat of sorts, anal probing, treating other humans as subhuman garbage,
and people getting what they deserve. Also lots of bare breasts with no nipples. It's on a whole other level.

This is one to watch for the ages. So bad I don't know what else to say.

AuC6Tm3.png

jnQx7WB.png

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Edit: Can't unsee the Milla Maxwell similarity in those last scenes.

Jex

Cross Ange

Worse than Hitler and SAO combined.

The UN should insist that the Japanese government shut down Sunrise for this atrocity.

This isn't a joking matter, this is literally the worst thing ever.

Wait, the first season covered 3 volumes in 24 episodes and now they're going to cram the remaining 10 volumes in 36 episodes? That sounds troublesome.

The first 12 episodes of the original series were actually one volume of the books. And then the second half covered 2 more books.

Ironically though, the first 12 episodes consisted of about 7 or so worth of filler. They padded it out by quite a bit. Kinda the opposite of Baccano, which covered 4 books in its entire run, including the OVA eps.

The books vary in length, but generally it should only take 3-4 eps to cover a single book, give or take. It also helps that a lot of events happen parallel to one another, so they could also save time that way.

IMO, 3 cours is more than enough time to cover everything.

Cross Ange 1
Parts of this were hilarious, parts of it make me feel dirty for having watched it. I need to drink more to sear this from my memory.

The first 12 episodes of the original series were actually one volume of the books. And then the second half covered 2 more books.

Ironically though, the first 12 episodes consisted of about 7 or so worth of filler. They padded it out by quite a bit. Kinda the opposite of Baccano, which covered 4 books in its entire run, including the OVA eps.

The books vary in length, but generally it should only take 3-4 eps to cover a single book, give or take. It also helps that a lot of events happen parallel to one another, so they could also save time that way.

IMO, 3 cours is more than enough time to cover everything.
That clarifies things pretty well. Having not read the books I wasn't sure how dense they were, but it seems like they should be able to adapt it without rushing through material.

Selector Spread WIXOSS 1

Glad this show is back. New op is not as good as season 1's. Also, what's up with that metal music during the dark parts of the show -- it doesn't fit well. Kind of a weird start up ep considering what happened at the end of the last season.

Also the sound mixing is weird for Yuzuki.

Mr.Jeff

The best part is once it's done Durrzzzarara will have had 4 cours worth of anime while Baccano! only has 1. Screw this.
I was mentioning last night but I wonder if part of it is down to the mixed chronology of the first series. Try to do it for a second series and you'd have people continually second guessing because they know the "trick" but trying to tell the story would take away some of the frenetic energy of the first series.

Or it just didn't do as well as Durarara at shifting the novels. I don't know.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Cross Ange,

The fuck is wrong with this show, racist protagonist, racist country anal probing and potential incest. Why god why.

The protagonist got what she deserved but not the anal probing, why did they have to do that, who thought that was a good idea.

FSN 00
That fight scene. That bond. That saber.
Well, we are off to a great start i guess. This is my first fate series so i got nothing to say.

Magic Kaito 1412 - 1
Why the 1412 part?

4 minutes in:
Cool kid that likes to look at panties. Tsundere girl that gets violent. Magic tricks. Fights in the middle of the class with everyone acting as it's the most normal thing in the world. Classy thieves.

Anime as fuck.

Acosta

Steins;Gate - 13

NO.

NO.

NO.

YOU. SUCK.

HOW MUCH BIGGER OF A TROLL COULD YOU HAVE BEEN WITH THAT? HOW?!?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

You should have seen my face when I was playing the VN, lol.

And the game is much more cruel in the aftermath than the series. It was intense...

Keep forward, you are up for a good run.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
oh by the way folks, what the preview never mentioned is that the aftermath of the
anal rape
isn't even really part of the episode; it's just awkwardly shoved into the ED where a scene of a bunch of naked girls fondling each other suddenly cuts to
Ange lying on the floor in her blood-soaked tattered clothes, trembling and tearful
, and then just suddenly cuts back to the rest of the ED.

If that wasn't enough, the PV has a fourth-wall-breaking narrator who pokes fun at what just happened:

cross ange yo

wonzo

Banned
So... what about the [rather vast quantity of] women who enjoy rape fantasies?

Just because you find material objectionable, doesn't mean everyone should. Rape may be a serious and vulgar crime, but the premise of being forcibly* used for sexual gratification actually arouses many women.

*: I suppose the fine line is consent. As one girl used to say, "you can't rape the willing". That being said, the idea is a forced sexual encounter based on degradation. Say what you will about it, but to me labeling this kind of behavior as bad and taboo is along the same lines as slut-shaming if you stop to consider that women might actually WANT this.
Isn't that the same as saying, "this is just my opinion"? Which, when it comes to intellectual discussion is the rough equivalent of saying, "I'm wrong". You personal review or not, you published it online - if you wanted to keep such opinions to yourself, then perhaps this isn't the forum for them?

Minority or not*, there are women who do enjoy such things - and quite a few men, which I can personally attest to - and pointing out that my being a man means I have no knowledge of such things is a pretty weak ad hominem; did you not consider that I may have been with some women who specifically asked me for such things? In any event, I never said that rape itself isn't wrong, but the concept of rape is arousing to some people and it is enjoyed as a fantasy among consenting adults - to write it off as immoral and wrong simply because it is not a taste you share is somewhat bigoted, it is not? There are a percentage of people who feel that a wide range of sexual positions and acts are immoral - who is anyone to demean others for their sexual preferences? Thus the parallel of slut-shaming; I was not comparing to rape itself [and it can be noted that in this show no humans are actually being raped], but the idea that rape itself can be found to be arousing, which you stated in the article as 'wrong'.

*: We could have two entirely separate discussions on both what percentage of women have/enjoy rape fantasies (difficult to make a claim either way, as I doubt there's a lot of data) and whether or not being a minority in any way invalidates the personal preferences of a group; should we not, therefor, conclude that those of minority racial descent are irrelevant and wrong? Not only is the point you were trying to make inherently wrong, but it is obviously a red herring.
Bit of a straw-man/red herring combination, isn't it? This is neither the point of my response nor did I at any point say that I did [or did not] enjoy seeing implied anal rape.

I responded specifically to the author's contention that, "Rape is not arousal. Rape should not be used as a fanservice tool.", which I felt is a flawed point - many men and women find the idea of rape [among consenting adults] to be arousing. The author finding it objectionable does not make it 'wrong'; many people would tell you that anal sex without the rape aspect is wrong because they find it morally reprehensible.
/​
m8y3uysdnb4awv3g2sgt2qs4t.jpg

CrimsonN0

I was mentioning last night but I wonder if part of it is down to the mixed chronology of the first series. Try to do it for a second series and you'd have people continually second guessing because they know the "trick" but trying to tell the story would take away some of the frenetic energy of the first series.

Or it just didn't do as well as Durarara at shifting the novels. I don't know.

I'd say the mixed chronology was because they wanted to fit in as much of the series as possible since they knew they probably weren't making a sequel.
I mean, they also ended up cutting out characters and some plot.

I could do with more animated Baccano, though.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I'm going to ask, even if maybe I will regret it later
How people know it was anal rape and not... normal rape? I suppose the scene wasn't that graphically explicit... right? right?!

It could be either, but the fact that she's chained face-down on a metal slab and the gratuitous shots of her ass wiggling before the scene kind of imply..............yeah.

Thoraxes

I'm going to ask, even if maybe I will regret it later
How people know it was anal rape and not... normal rape? I suppose the scene wasn't that graphically explicit... right? right?!

"It's just a physical."

Given the blood maybe you could say it was vaginal, if you want to just keep making this worse and worse.

I must say, I'm a bit surprised people here read the prescreening impressions of Cross Ange and still watched the thing. I guess that's the human race for you - depravity will always bring a crowd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom