• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I must say, I'm a bit surprised people here read the prescreening impressions of Cross Ange and still watched the thing. I guess that's the human race for you - depravity will always bring a crowd.

I had didn't read and had no idea, all I knew was that it was very, very bad, and curiosity killed that cat combined with boredom.

"It's just a physical."

Given the blood maybe you could say it was vaginal, if you want to just keep making this worse and worse.
I'm almost 100% sure that blood is her mother's blood. As that's the same dress she was wearing when she held her dying mother. just ripped apart.

Cross Ange - 01

This is it? I will probably get many against me, but I think most of you are overreacting. I dont really see the point of the ending, but to establish some kind of "welcome to prison introduction". It didnt have to be there, but I'm not really "shocked" that it was.

So apart from the last part, I think this episode was good. I was intrigued with the world building, the social system of Norma and the schemes. Ms Perfect cast down to nothingness in 20 minutes
Yep, I'll keep watching for now
aTrpmHH.jpg

Thoraxes

I'm almost 100% sure that blood is her mother's blood. As that's the same dress she was wearing when she held her dying mother. just ripped apart.

To be fair it looks like the blood on the dress was from when she was holding her mom.

I just know it's bad, heh. I didn't pay that close attention to it! I guess it could be that too.

Looks like it's on the inside white part of the dress too.

Chuuni - 04

Now we know why Shinka was so interested in joining the club. She showed a new side I didnt expect. Poor Yuuta. It'll be interesting to see how she is going to obtain the books while still being "herself".

Madan no Ou to Vanadis - 01
Is the source material (LN right?) fast paced like the 1st anime episode? Feels like everything was a bit rushed.

phaze

Chevalier D'Eon 22

They're going to run out of named characters if they continue killing them off at this pace.

Incorporating Versailles name into the plot was neat trick. Without knowing the truth about the Psalms of the King its hard to comprehend, or even try to guess, the "why" behind the actions of
Robespierre and especially Louis
Show has been firing at all cylinders for a while now. They should have cut out episodes 6-15 completely and make it a one cour.

Fate/Stay Night 00

Watching this will be interesting. I haven't read the VN nor watched the previous adaption, but through pure (sub)cultural osmosis I know some stuff, like the MC being the typical good guy and also dense as fuck and Saber is her Servant, Rin is the tsundere, Sakura I suppose is another Master, etc. Also it may contain mollusks.

Visuals and sounds are lavish, a feat for the senses.

Design-wise, I think Lancer and Archer are inferior to Fate Zero versions.

Rin is really the typical tsundere. Bossy, proud, condescending, arrogant, temperamental (she used a command already?!), moody and voluble as only girls are,
I'm pointing the stereotype used, don't throw the stones!
, but also has the sweet side. I counted 5 blushes from her in the episode, ffs. And one from Archer, lol.
And I laughed a lot when she has a normal school uniform in the high school but when she gets home, she of course puts her comfy clothes... these ones:
inOPRzk.png

Waifu material
ironical

Speaking of waifus, Archer by the way is the perfect husbando. Tall, muscular, tanned, hear everything her Master has to say (thanks to the command, but still), will serve you tea by his initiative (good in the kitchen?) and fix everything the house. And a pinch of bad boy in him. He is a good catch!

Somehow this feels more "anime" than Fate Zero. I think it's because is the same idea, but executed in a high school setting! I suppose most of the Masters will happen to be high school students, as unbelievable as it sounds, even she said she was the only one.

Quasar

They adapted 1 entire book in 1 episode.

yeah it was kinda fast paced.

Even the manga version at least took 4 or 5 chapters to cover what this episode did. Have to admit I'm getting more frequently frustrated with this super rushing through source material and leaving (what I'd consider the more interesting bits) on the cutting room floor that anime keeps doing. Not that I'm against streamlining material for a visual medium.

Even the manga version at least took 4 or 5 chapters to cover what this episode did. Have to admit I'm getting more frequently frustrated with this super rushing through source material and leaving (what I'd consider the more interesting bits) on the cutting room floor that anime keeps doing. Not that I'm against streamlining material for a visual medium.

The anime seems wanna make it more serious, there's some "cute" moment in LN/manga, but anime just skipped(at least for episode 1), even the characters design feels more mature than LN/manga(like Tigre and Ellen both are 16 years old but feels like 19-20 years old in anime)

cajunator

Banned
This is an illustration by Takeuchi of Rin:

Yes it looks stupid as fuck but I guess Ufotable didn't want to go against the original illustrator/trying to be loyal to the source material. It also probably matched with Tabata's own style. Yes I think it's a mistake.

Yeah this designer is kind of off somehow. The faces dont look right. Reminds me a little bit of the Saikano designs.

http://a.pomf.se/romlpa.webm

Akame ga Kill! 13

Esdese is love.

Esdese is life.

Can't wait to watch best chapter be animated.

She is amazing. That blush is strong.
I quite like her.

Re: Fate/Stay Night character art

There was always something about the character art in Fate/Zero that seemed off. It was the same feeling I got when watching some of Shinkai's stuff.

Its an over simplified look that tries to echo the 80-90s style profiles but without a proper nose. the nose is important!

Alright because I'm a responsible citizen today:

Simulcast Schedule (Thanks Midonin!)

Times are UTC/EDT/PDT

Sunday
CR - Celestial Method -14:30/10:30/7:30
CR - Cross Ange - 9:00/5:00/2:00
CR - Gugure! Kokkuri-san 19:05/15:05/12:05
FN - Shingeki no Bahamut Genesis - 15:30/11:30/8:30
CR - The Fruit of Grisaia - 17:00/13:00/10:00
CR - Tribe Cool Crew - 22:00/18:00/15:00
CR - Wolf Girl and Black Prince - 15:30/11:30/8:30

Monday
CR - Inou Battle wa Nichijou kei no Naka de - 18:05/14:05/11:05
CR - Kaitou Joker - 11:30/8:30/4:30
CR- Yowamushi Pedal Grande Road - 17:30/13:30/10:30

Tuesday

Wednesday

Thursday
CR - Denki-gai no Honya-san - 14:30/10:30/7:30
CR - I Can't Understand What My Husband is Saying - 15:30/11:30/8:30
FN - Ore Twintail ni Narimasu - 18:46/14:46/11:46
FN - Psycho-Pass 2 - 16:50/12:50/9:50
CR - Yuki Yuna wa Yusha de Aru - 18:19/14:19/11:19

Friday
FN - Donten ni Warau - 18:28/14:28/11:28
FN - selector spread WIXOSS - 17:05/13:05/10:05
CR - Terraformars - 16:30/12:30/9:30

Saturday
CR - Fate/Stay Night Unlimited Blade Works - 18:00/14:00/11:00
CR - Karen Senki - 15:00/11:00/8:00
CR - Log Horizon 2 - 11:30/7:30/4:30
FN - Madan no Ou to Vanadis - 14:00/10:00/7:00
FN - Ushinawareta Mirai o Motomete - 17:30/13:30/11:30
CR - World Trigger - 22:30/18:30/15:30

Legend:
CR = Crunchyroll
FN = Funimation
DS = Daisuki
HL = Hulu
YT = YouTube (direct link to channel next to show)

(regional streaming restrictions may apply)

Give a heads up when Garo and the other Funi shows get streaming times so I can add it in.

Kudos. I was waiting for this list.

Got a long ways to go to compete with this:

So I read some stuff on WrongEveryTime and enjoyed it quite a bit as there's plenty insightful stuff in my opinion. Then he started his rather detailed SAO episode reviews where he quickly ended up blasting the show even though he tries much harder to see what's good instead of focusing on the negative. Problem is if there's nothing positive ;P
It was usually quite fun to see him tearing it apart.

Then SAO II started and...I don't know what the fuck happened to him but it's like he suddenly judges this show on a completely different level. Every yet so little not-complete-shit part of the show is put forth as genuinely good and he glosses over most of the issues. I mean he at least shit on episode 13 but still, how can you give this kind of episode a fucking 'A-'?!? Just because Sinon does things on her own for once that doesn't mean it's actually executed well (and isn't in fact).

When someone pointed out that he seems to be much more lenient on SAO II in comparison to others he even responded with something along the line of "meh, people just try to actively shit on it now as part of the bandwagon".

I dunno, I'm still gonna continue reading some of his articles but this really puts a dent in his credibility. It also started before he joined ANN...although he knew about that way in advance of course. Maybe he adjusted his view on SAO II in order to no piss of that userbase, but that would be even worse quite frankly.

@ Fate Stay Night UBW Prologue

That was pretty decent. The issues I do have with this have already been pointed out, such as a the weird character design in certain scenes.

I didn't make it far into the Deen version, primarily thanks to the awful MC. I wonder if this adaptation makes him less insufferable.

edit:
Oh yeh I forgot Cross Ange. Reading the impressions I can now say with certainty that I won't touch that shit.

Quasar

The anime seems wanna make it more serious, there's some "cute" moment in LN/manga, but anime just skipped(at least for episode 1), even the characters design feels more mature than LN/manga(like Tigre and Ellen both are 16 years old but feels like 19-20 years old in anime)

I am curious to see where it goes, that's why I checked out the manga as I figured from the concept we'd have Robin going around and somehow getting all the Vanadis in his harem.

Curious to see if it focuses more on the battles and such. With the manga at least the first big arc the battles don't take up a lot of pages, its much more the personal stuff.

The question is whenever they will keep this pace for the entire cour. i'm not against streamlining to get things going but i'm certainly AGAINST rushing

I can feel the gut punch of no Index S3 announced lol. Could be worst, it could have been To aru kagaku no accelerator anime instead.

Spent entire event going through previous Index announcements, have all the previous Index Openings sung live, proceed to announce anime for a different series.

At least an Accelerator anime would be a part of the series they were hyping up for the past hour.

Apparently there is another important announcement for Index year. We will see where that goes.

Quasar

The question is whenever they will keep this pace for the entire cour. i'm not against streamlining to get things going but i'm certainly AGAINST rushing

If the first episode rushed through the whole first book that seems pretty hard. Or is there 13 books in the series already?

If the first episode rushed through the whole first book that seems pretty hard. Or is there 13 books in the series already?

9 only, vol.10 coming this month
And it's not whole vol.1, more like ~70%, and it seems they will spend whole episode 2 to do the remaining 30% of vol.1, according to PV2

Btw it's not "they", it's Tatsuo Sato, because he is Director+Series Composition+Screenplay of this show, so he's the only one in charge everything about the plots lol.

Vanadis 1
yaaaay. Its here, the war, troops and love series.
Its a great first episode, as only the important stuff is shown. Take notes mahouka.
The op is not great though.

World Trigger 1
I knew they were going to take out the "i am the enemy card". Fucking hell.
Oh and that murata art, so good.

Edit: and since people are complaining about the rush on vanadis, its actually ok for me, as nothing of non importance was shown. I am more ok if they use most of the episodes to explain the conditions of war and the hard reality that it is not really roses and fun.
But vol 12 had lots of "oh shit i don't know what the what" shit so yeah.(only LN people would know what i am talking about)

cajunator

Banned
From the New World Ep. 8

ibsFjlwolaoEbc.gif

Someone please tell me the
same gender relationships
are going to serve a good purpose. I can feel the crushing disappointment coming.

Yes it does actually serve a purpose in this series. Theres a good explanation for it.

Just tell me that
it isn't a phase and some of the prominent characters stay in non-heterosexual relationships.
;_; *the sound of my good feelings for the show deteriorating*

its a phase that keeps the young people under control. Youll see why such things are necessary soon

Steins;Gate - 12

Welp.

To be fair, Moeka kinda did seem like the most obvious one to be an agent. I mean, she freakin' asked to BORROW the IBN for crying out loud.

But I digress. The real thing I should be focusing on here is:
MAYUUUUURIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII. :(

No worries. The show isnt done putting your heart in a blender yet!

Steins;Gate - 13

NO.

NO.

NO.

YOU. SUCK.

HOW MUCH BIGGER OF A TROLL COULD YOU HAVE BEEN WITH THAT? HOW?!?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Keeeeep going!

9 only, vol.10 coming this month
And it's not whole vol.1, more like ~70%, and it seems they will spend whole episode 2 to do the remaining 30% of vol.1, according to PV2

Btw it's not "they", it's Tatsuo Sato, because he is Director+Series Composition+Screenplay of this show, so he's the only one in charge everything about the plots lol.
Well It's almost it. We're in the middle of chapter 6 in book 1 ( out of 6 chapters ).
They have skipped a lot of the time where the MC get to know the castle and each character within it more.
What's left is the rest of chapter 6 and the epilogue ? For me it's almost the entire book.

Finalow

The Tatami Galaxy Series Impressions Proper

EP 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11

K4Px5Jq.gif

This anime was brilliant and will probably be a favorite of mine for a good long while. Would recommend.
yup, based Yuasa etc.
I really liked the last episodes, also notice how they swapped ending and opening (which, by the way, were both great) in the last one and it actually made sense in relation the the episode.

the main problem I had was that I was watching it in japanese with english subs, shouldn't have done that. the mc speaks so stupidly fast that I had to stop the player a lot if I wanted to read everything.

cajunator

Banned
Steins;Gate 12

Pretty much confirms that
part-time warrior is from the future

also a big fuck you to
shining finger

Hehee this is too good.

Imagine being us and watching this shit unfold week by week.

It was crazy man.

I couldnt do it. Ended up waiting until the whole series was available on bluray then marathoned all of it in one go knowing next to nothing. It was absolutely worth the wait.
Show lived up to the hype.

LOOK! THE EAST IS BURNING RED!

I don't think I'd be able to handle watching this weekly at this point. Now I don't know when I'll be watching F/SN as now I really want to see what happens next!

Steins;Gate - 14

WHAT? SHE'S-

BUT HOW, WHO? THIS WHOLE TIME-

WHAT.

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?!?!?!?!?

Oh man. so good. Just wait yall.

Just caught up on SAO and my my my my my my was it beautiful.

Tears streaming down my face.

do explain. I mostly skipped SAO this season, but lets just say curiosity kicked in and i read the LN.
It wasn't great.

Steins;Gate - 14

WHAT? SHE'S-

BUT HOW, WHO? THIS WHOLE TIME-

WHAT.

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?!?!?!?!?

oh you reach that point already?
calm down bro, shit just going to go futher.

Midonin

Cross Ange 01

I sat through all of Dai Shogun, it's not like I'm very strict with my standards. I haven't seen Gundam Seed (or any Gundam that's not Build Fighters), so the comparisons will be lost on me, but when I heard "Sunrise/female cast/mecha anime", I was hoping for something in the tone of Xenoglossia or even better, the Mai Hime/Otome series. This is a lot bloodier and grittier than I was expecting. All the negative elements were coming from the empire, who clearly aren't supposed to be the good guys, and it's making me wonder about the difference in what people will allow a premium cable drama to get away with and allow an anime to get away with. That last scene was uncomfortable and unnecessary, but the rest of it wasn't that bad.

After Mahouka, plenty of things look better off than they did before. I'm going to stick with it anyway because there aren't that many mecha series with a mostly female cast.

cajunator

Banned
Steins;Gate 16

Somewhere along the line I 'caught feels' and this was the first episode that hit me. The letter left to Mr. Braun from
the original Suzuha that commited suicide.

Fuck.

Suzuha for Mayuri,
it seems the only way to move to the beta time line is to destroy the current.

I think thats enough for the night.

I FAILED I FAILED I FAILED
GODDAMN

I really want to watch this. It even has Esdeath in it.

Pani Poni Dash! 4

SHAFT, ladies and gentlemen.

Yeah, I think I'm too tired to continue this tonight.

Yeah that eyecatch always bothered me a lot.

(About From the New World)

It isn't exactly
a "phase" in the lore of the setting, it seems in this world homosexual relationships are as common as the heterosexual relationships. It just happens that given some plot advancement and plot twists, none of the relationships can last.

The society these children are in has nurtured an environment of free love applying to both genders. In addition to controlling them, its just a product of allowing it to occur unhindered and unjudged.

Ushinawareta Mirai wo Motomete - 01

Had literally zero information about this show and well, what I got was some very generic romcom stuff with the usual infuriatingly oblivious MC.

Then something strange happened, the girl actually confesses before the end of the first episode and I was rather surprised even.

Then we see the next shot of her walking along the streets and it was immediately apparent that she'd die.

Then she died.

So, the premise isn't quite visible from hereon but I suppose it involves some stargazing magic. I'll probably give it another episode but I'm pretty sure I'm gonna drop it.

Jex

[KnK 5 - Spiral Paradox]

This was a pretty good movie. I'll have to watch it again some other time before condensing my thoughts.

The Nasuverse stuff is still really dumb.

cajunator

Banned
FSN 00 - Yep. I still have no interest in watching Rin. Guess I might watch one more episode to see this versions Saber and Shiro, but am pretty sure I'll be dropping this due to pointnone.

Type moon character designs were never anything to write about really. Very plain designs overall.

Cross Ange - 01

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

In the first episode we have
planning for incest, a coup d'etat of sorts, anal probing, treating other humans as subhuman garbage,
and people getting what they deserve. Also lots of bare breasts with no nipples. It's on a whole other level.

This is one to watch for the ages. So bad I don't know what else to say.

AuC6Tm3.png

jnQx7WB.png

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Edit: Can't unsee the Milla Maxwell similarity in those last scenes.

Cross Ange

Worse than Hitler and SAO combined.

The UN should insist that the Japanese government shut down Sunrise for this atrocity.

This isn't a joking matter, this is literally the worst thing ever.

Cross Ange 1
Parts of this were hilarious, parts of it make me feel dirty for having watched it. I need to drink more to sear this from my memory.

That clarifies things pretty well. Having not read the books I wasn't sure how dense they were, but it seems like they should be able to adapt it without rushing through material.

Cross Ange 1
lol like WUT, and this shit has 25 episodes

Cross Ange 01

DUDE SHE'S YOUR LITTLE SISTER HOLY SHIT!!

Also gtfo Jesus Yamato you are not wanted here either.

Cross Ange,

The fuck is wrong with this show, racist protagonist, racist country anal probing and potential incest. Why god why.

The protagonist got what she deserved but not the anal probing, why did they have to do that, who thought that was a good idea.

Oh my. Could this be future list material or is it too awful? I mean, Apocalype Zero is on the list.

Two thoughts

- Split-cours have gone too far

- Who asked for this much Durrarara? That show wasn't very good, please give me more Baccano instead.

Yeah, it's frustrating that we still don't have more Baccano at this point. Only way to make up for it is to give Baccano four split-cours.

I must say, I'm a bit surprised people here read the prescreening impressions of Cross Ange and still watched the thing. I guess that's the human race for you - depravity will always bring a crowd.

I'll probably watch the first two episodes entirely because of the prescreening impressions. I mean, everyone slows down to check out a car accident, right? I think the same would apply here.

World Trigger - 01
'QUALITY' adaptation :lol
That normal Trigger activation sequence made me chuckled. Luckily Yuuma's Trigger doesn't have that lol-worthy activation scene. =3=

cajunator

Banned
Wonder how many here will watch all of it.

I would venture to say lots. I might actually watch it too. Sunrise has a good track record of blowing your mind, in good and bad ways.

I...dont think so. Especially since right before that it was one of those "prison bitch" moments.
Its probably a mix of both >_<

Ushinawareta Mirai wo Motomete - 01

Had literally zero information about this show and well, what I got was some very generic romcom stuff with the usual infuriatingly oblivious MC.

Then something strange happened, the girl actually confesses before the end of the first episode and I was rather surprised even.

Then we see the next shot of her walking along the streets and it was immediately apparent that she'd die.

Then she died.

So, the premise isn't quite visible from hereon but I suppose it involves some stargazing magic. I'll probably give it another episode but I'm pretty sure I'm gonna drop it.

Is this show streaming on CR or Funimation or??

Apocalypse Zero also has the virtue of being short.

Mercifully!

my god that scene
fucking heartbroken when i reached that part(vn). The route ending for her just made it even more worse.

so....souka.

Can you put in spoiler tags how this route ends?

PK Gaming

[KnK 5 - Spiral Paradox]

This was a pretty good movie. I'll have to watch it again some other time before condensing my thoughts.

The Nasuverse stuff is still really dumb.

Yeah.

I'm not that into the Nasuverse, but I really enjoyed this movie. There were a lot of great scenes, and the character interactions were at their finest.

It's the only KnK movie I plan on rewatching.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom