• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seriously, how is potentially the most important manga adaptation in Seven Deadly Sins not simulcast yet?

And the Op makes me wanna track that stuff down, especially Turn A.

akame ga kill -14

Ah esdeath past. Now nobody would even hope to think that she'll get a good ending.
she is still the best girl..no doubt

Cross-ange 1
d9dVl7H.gif

DiGiKerot

Yay, I'm not alone anymore! Someone else has seen the opening!

You said you thought the movie was a little baggy in the middle, and I can see where you're coming from. But what did you think of the drama involving the new girls from Million Live? I thought, compared to a lot of the 'dramatic' moments from the series, it was a very good way of setting up character conflict. Even if that part runs a little long, it was a great way of exploring how Haruka had developed from where she started.

How did you wind up seeing it? Is it finally out on disk now?

The disk release is out next week (8th, I think) - I've got a copy of the +Shiny Festa edition due to come in the mail, but some folks have gotten it early and I got a little impatient, particularly given I'm going to be away when my disk copies turn up. Kind of wish I could say I saw one of the Videom@ster screenings in Japan, but I'm not lucky enough to be over there for 9th, unlike seemingly half the other P's I know.

I think the drama is generally handled somewhat less hamfistedly than it was in the series, but I'd probably have to see it with subtitles to formulate a proper opinion on it - whilst I've no problem picking up the general gist of what was going on, my Japanese is nowhere near good enough to be able to fully capture the nuance of it. I like the Million Lives in general, though I do with we got to see a bit more of the girls other than Kana and Shiho doing things.

rrvv

Mouretsu Pirate 01-06

well that certainly interesting. one thing that stand out is the world building that they seem really good and make interesting at that.

anyway first arc basically introduction of pirating. how the space combat look like. somehow they go very detail at that. also relationship Marika and Chiaki seem create nice chemistry

Mouretsu Pirate 07-12

again. great with world building. this time is with real pirate action. which bassicalyl friendly neighborhood pirate which do it for entertainment or complicated errands. serepindity story was okay. but it certainly add interesting history.

oh and laughing KanHana is the best

Love, Election and Chocolate 01

Yes, you.

So the MC gets forced to run for student council president since he's in a club that does nothing useful but to eat candy all the time and the candidate most likely to win is going to shut them down.

And the student council is really serious stuff since somebody is giving out hefty bribes and running people over with a car to prevent scandals from happening.

Love, Election and Chocolate 01
classic example of an anime that picked the wrong route to animate.

Sorry i had to say this.

Mouretsu Pirate 01-06

well that certainly interesting. one thing that stand out is the world building that they seem really good and make interesting at that.

anyway first arc basically introduction of pirating. how the space combat look like. somehow they go very detail at that. also relationship Marika and Chiaki seem create nice chemistry

Mouretsu Pirate 07-12

again. great with world building. this time is with real pirate action. which bassicalyl friendly neighborhood pirate which do it for entertainment or complicated errands. serepindity story was okay. but it certainly add interesting history.

The entire voice work is perfect.

cajunator

Banned
Mouretsu Pirate 01-06

Mouretsu Pirate 07-12

The setting, character design, and color palette are REALLY pleasing. Its such an easy show to watch.

santeesioux

Cross Ange 1

I like how quickly
the people turn on the princess, and how no one seems to care the queen was shot right in front of them
Out of all of the things wrong with this, those really stuck out to me, probably because i knew the messed up thing that happened at the end already.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Terror in Renaissance 9, Terror in Residence 10 and Terror in Relevance 11

Well that was an ending I suppose. Poor old bloke in bed was so confined he literally became one frame.

vGAHCG5.jpg

Rage of Bahamut 1

This is how you do a first episode of a fantasy show. The epic opening that comes straight from a heavy metal fantasy, the introduction of the protagonist and what I assume is the other lead, and the introduction of the third lead.

The animation and art style? Absolutely breathtaking. No joke I felt like I was watching The Road to El Dorado. It was that great in animation. The fantasy setting is fairly standard high fantasy, which isn't a bad thing. The action was great and awesome to look at, so smooth. The design for the leads was also something worth noting as a ginger afro lead with thick lips isn't something you see everyday.

I laughed my ass off in the opening with the two leads
running around in horses on rooftops
these are by far the bravest horses in the history of anime, they gave zero fucks.

The music? Fucking exquisite. The trailer had that part that it switched into that weird j-heavy pop rock that killed the mood, but there was none of that in here. The music was definitely a strong point as well.

The leads in particular made the show. Their dynamic will be probably be something similar to Samurai Champloo. We have the clown, the serious knight, and the lady who needs to go somewhere (who kicks ass as well).

I cannot recommend enough for everybody to watch this show. I think that outside of Fate Stay Night this was the strongest opening first episode.

I need moar. Nao. I'm calling it right now this will be the surprise hit of the season.

Cross Ange 01
On the bright side, it can only go up from here.

Grisaia no Kajitsu 01
Pretty good, really made me interested in checking out the VN.

Sora no Method 01
Good OST, and potentially good balance of drama and slice-of-life. Tentatively excited.

Grisaia no Kajitsu - 01
I rarely got interested in VN adaptation, but this one seems interesting for me to stick with it for a while. I wonder what's the secret everyone's hiding

It was getting pretty hyped around here, I wouldn't consider it a surprise if it turned out good.

I saw duckroll post the thread and some people excited, but Fate Stay Night and Log Horizon 2 seems to have like 90% of the attention. Regardless depending on how good this turns out to be, AOTY voting will be really. REALLY. Fucking hard.

Blusby

Grisaia 01: Man this surprisingly really looks good, lots o' sakuga. Would never have guessed it had been produced by 8bit studio.

phaze

Le Chevalier D'Eon 23-24

04qzmxlrffhw.gif

wut

All I can think of is the terrible level of security in the Versailles. People walk in and leave like its some kind of lowly tavern.

I'll have to rewatch this finale to see if it actually makes sense and there are some things that I think were left unexplained. Kudos at least for resolving neatly the issue of
Robespierre's age.

Love, Election and Chocolate 02

Oshima Ojima runs into both the current student council president and the girl who is the candidate to become the next president and they both advise him to run as well even if he doesn't want to.

And then Ojima gives a glowing speech for recommending somebody else in the Food Research Club for president instead, which of course makes everybody want him to be the president even more.

Oh, and a scene with candy liquid spread all over... Right...

Grisaia no Kajitsu 1
Well its intriguing. Everyone seems to have masks that are 3 layers thick. And that goddamn ratio, why?
And i like how mc poker face everything, including BOOBS BITCHES.
well, i'll stay.

Teremap

Banned
I guess I need to start catching up on stuff. Last season all I watched was Prisma Illya, Aldnoah.Zero and Jojo's Bizarre Adventure.

Denki-Gai no Honya-san - 01
Okay, I admit this is pushing a lot of the right buttons for me. Haven't laughed this much in quite some time. In fact, I'm only halfway through the episode and am taking a break because I need a breather, haha! I just hope they can maintain this momentum throughout.

Mature

Magic Kaito 1412 - 1
nJR9NZp.jpg

Fast, funny, and charismatic. This is exactly what we've come to expect from Magic Kaito. The story is very clearly being adapted in a similar way to the TV specials, but A-1's entirely different execution allows it to not be a redundant entry. There was even some decent animation! It already feels like this would benefit from going off the rails of the source and making itself even crazier. I didn't notice too many big changes yet (Aoko lives next to Kuroba?) but I hope the people involved go all out.

I think the lesson Toichi teaches Kaitou about "always having a poker face" is one that we really see come to play from Conan's perspective. The jokey, whimsical Kaitou Kid of the TV specials and TV series is a stark contrast to the calm and collected one that appears before and is challenged by Conan. And, given by how effective his charisma and bluffing is around Conan (at least initially) it's an aspect well illuminated.

The OP wasn't bad, but I can't help but feel a little bit of white washing went on...:
ahem...

Magic Kaito 1412 - 1
Why the 1412 part?

4 minutes in:
Cool kid that likes to look at panties. Tsundere girl that gets violent. Magic tricks. Fights in the middle of the class with everyone acting as it's the most normal thing in the world. Classy thieves.

Anime as fuck.
Kaitou was originally referred to as Kaitou 1412 (the case number being 1412), but Yusaku Kudo (Conan's pops) intentionally misread it as a hastily scribbled Kid which gave him the new name.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Cross Ange 1

I like how quickly
the people turn on the princess, and how no one seems to care the queen was shot right in front of them
Out of all of the things wrong with this, those really stuck out to me, probably because i knew the messed up thing that happened at the end already.

Yeah... I'm almost certain I won't continue to watch this show... there's just too much too many things its asking me to accept with no explanation. I'm not event talking about major plot points but rather the moment to moment stuff.

Dresden

bahamut - 1

This is great.

Only complaint is the girl's demon design - it's weird and fanservicey, very ~anime~, in a way that other elements of the show are not.

bahamut - 1

This is great.

Only complaint is the girl's demon design - it's weird and fanservicey, very ~anime~, in a way that other elements of the show are not.

Best show this season.
Definitely the downside. But when your downside of anime is "they didn't break away from a sad trend in female design" I'll take it as something minor at this point.

Grisaia no Kajitsu 1 - thought first episode was really well done, we got character intros, some some funny lines from MC good ending. Judging by the end they are doing all routes? Hope for more that 12eps.
Hope it doesnt blow.

duckroll

Le Chevalier D'Eon 23-24

04qzmxlrffhw.gif

wut

All I can think of is the terrible level of security in the Versailles. People walk in and leave like its some kind of lowly tavern.

I'll have to rewatch this finale to see if it actually makes sense and there are some things that I think were left unexplained. Kudos at least for resolving neatly the issue of
Robespierre's age.

Hahahahahahaha. You have no idea how long I've been silently reading your impressions of this show. Nodding along. Laughing and crying with you. Just waiting for the end of it all. I had to really restrain myself from replying to anything because I didn't want to spoil any of the experience.
When I got to the end of the series, I think the first thing I said when the episode ended was "Goddamn, they actually intended to troll everyone with Robespierre! ROFLMAO!"
That was so good. Lol.

Sailor Moon Crystal 7

Tuxedo Mask throwing punches and actually doing things?

Sailor V being introduced early on and being relevant as opposed to forgotten about until the last minute?

Man I almost can't even recognize this as Sailor Moon :p

Enjoyable episode, another 2 weeks of slow wait begin again

Bahumut - 1
ohohohohohohohohoooh, wipe my face with that sweet sweet high quality animation.
Loving the cast already, and the show is already smelling like adventure. So good.
I can't even believe its an adaptation

cajunator

Banned
Grisaia no Kajitsu 1 - thought first episode was really well done, we got character intros, some some funny lines from MC good ending. Judging by the end they are doing all routes? Hope for more that 12eps.
Hope it doesnt blow.

grisaia - 1

This is an extraordinarily ugly show.

Based on 1st episode, quite yes.

as odd as it is, yes.
Yes it is

Im getting mixed signals here...

Jex

[Bahamut] - 1

If it wasn't for the weird fanservice shit, this would actually be a perfect episode that you could show to just about anyone.

Even with that...distraction this was still an extremely strong first episode. Quite possibly one of the best first episodes I've seen in years. I hope they can keep this up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom