• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shergal

Bahumut - 1
ohohohohohohohohoooh, wipe my face with that sweet sweet high quality animation.
Loving the cast already, and the show is already smelling like adventure. So good.
I can't even believe its an adaptation

iirc the card game doesn't have much of a story or anything, so they're essentially working with a blank slate.

duckroll

Bahumut - 1
I can't even believe its an adaptation

It's not an adaptation. There's nothing to "adapt" in the sense that it's based on a digital f2p social card game which has no real story. Some of the supporting characters (none of which have shown up yet) are based on some card designs, the world setting is inspired by some of the cards and categories as well, but beyond that it's practically an original anime. The main characters, the locations, the story, history, etc were all created just for the anime.

Shingeki no Bahamut - 01

Pleasantly surprised. First bit with the roofhunt reminded me of a disney/pixar movie, with the music and the banter between Carrot Top and Space Dandy.
Bugs me that the lips look like smeared lipstick. I don't know much of the world and how things work, like the card capture and wristbands, but I guess it'll be explained later.
So this is based on some sort of card game?

ElhBdfz.jpg

Jex

The craziest thing about Bahamut is that it opens with an insane fantasy action set piece and once it's over you think "well, they blew their budget on this opening sequence but I guess it was pretty cool" and then you get slammed into another giant action set piece. Like, who even does that?

rrvv

The craziest thing about Bahamut is that it opens with an insane fantasy action set piece and once it's over you think "well, they blew their budget on this opening sequence but I guess it was pretty cool" and then you get slammed into another giant action set piece. Like, who even does that?

gotta spend that F2P money

the most amazing thing from Bahamut pv was the scene with the giant mech knight breaking through the wall and the water overflowing......is that in the first episode?

In three episodes we're just gonna have flash animation and stickmen.

Mothman91

bahamut 1

Oh me oh my, I'm loving this sweet animation. I don't mind the character designs either. Just hoping they don't rely on girl a lot for fights. Carrot top seems weak, but he has his upsides in mind games.

Awesome first episode, hopefully the show keeps up the quality.

Edit: where's that song from the pv(2? I think)?!

e_i

The Fruit of Grisaia episode 1

Masterbation. It's what girls do while alone in there rooms when they don't have homework.

Also, Amane is damn hot. Michuru is the most spaztastic character I've ever seen.

Jarmel

Banned
Grisaia no Kajitsu-1
I'm sort of mixed on this. Most of the episode left me cold. Firstly I'm not a fan of the aspect ratio. I think this was done for cinematic purposes as the intro of the anime does try to be cinematic, however it's distracting and unnecessary. That said, I got used to it by the end of the episode. Still doesn't mean I like it. The music is a bigger issue. It's way too chippy at times and really interferes with the mood of the scenes. I would have preferred a lack of music altogether in certain scenes such as the Makina/Amane introduction.
I'm also not a fan of the character designs in that they feel very VNish and cheap. This might be an extension of the problem I have with the lighting in that everything is seemingly too bright and there is a 'bloom' effect going on. However in general, the character designs just feels very generic. I also could do perfectly fine without the pantyshots. Really don't do anything for me or even for the main character inside the show.
All that said, I do like the main character a lot. He reminds me of a more realistic Sousuke (from FMP) in that he's very obviously a soldier at his core and even in this 'normal' place, he can't give up old habits. In addition, a good number of comedic moments comes from his lack of tact. I feel like he's playing out the role of a normal student even when inside he's not. That's a big aspect of the show seemingly, is that of masks all the students wear. I'm not really interested in any of the girls though, except Michiru.

The show also feels sort of dead/non-energetic. It feels like I'm watching a series of actors give a performance on a stage. I'm sure, judging by the ending, that is the point but it still is kinda weird.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Bahamut 1

Amazing, pretty much exactly what I wanted out of the premise, I'm a sucker for adventure especially in with 17th century influence and a bit of high fantasy. If it keeps this up this quality really going to look forward to it each week.

It's not an adaptation. There's nothing to "adapt" in the sense that it's based on a digital f2p social card game which has no real story. Some of the supporting characters (none of which have shown up yet) are based on some card designs, the world setting is inspired by some of the cards and categories as well, but beyond that it's practically an original anime. The main characters, the locations, the story, history, etc were all created just for the anime.

The evil girl is from the game

TUSR

Banned
Free 2 Play saved Anime.

8 episodes of Steins;Gate to go.

Any dark horses this weekend? Bahamut seems popular.

duckroll

Shingeki no Bahamut Genesis - Episode 1

----
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=906749
Check out the |OT| for the show and post your impressions there as well please!
----

That was even better than I expected honestly. It wasn't just the production values which impressed, but how it was all put together. For fantasy animation is definitely felt inspired by films than by other anime, which is always refreshing for the medium. It's a very expressive show with minimal exposition, something I certainly hope continues.

It's really nice to see a story being told by what happens rather than people explaining what is supposed to be happening. The relationships between the characters, their motivations, and the general setting in the world can be derived by what the characters do and what they say to each other without anything feeling unnatural. The title cards for the character names are pretty hilarious too. For a show with a dark setting where people don't seem to mind killing each other, the tone is pretty whimsical. Pirates of the Caribbean comes to mind... for more than one reason (lol).

So yeah, the story seems interesting enough, the characters are better than expected, the animation is great, the action is great, the music is phenomenal. Unless they totally fuck it up, this could be a real winner.

Shingeki no Bahamut: Genesis - 01

Other than those lips, I'm pretty satisfied with the episode. Definitely the best 1st episode this season so far that I've watched. Those animations, music, dialogues seems perfect imo. Can't wait for next Sunday for 2nd episode :D

Trust me when I say that the comedy is the better part of the series.

I'll keep that in mind while watching future episodes :lol

Gugure! Kokkuri-san 01

Well now this was a pleasant surprise. Didn't know a lot about this show going in, I have half expecting a reverse harem show but that isn't the case her. Found plenty of bits of it funny and listening to Kohina's deadpan delivery of everything she says great. Another nice light-hearted show to throw into the mix.

Shingeki no Bahamut Genesis - Episode 1

----
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=906749
Check out the |OT| for the show and post your impressions there as well please!
----

That was even better than I expected honestly. It wasn't just the production values which impressed, but how it was all put together. For fantasy animation is definitely felt inspired by films than by other anime, which is always refreshing for the medium. It's a very expressive show with minimal exposition, something I certainly hope continues.

It's really nice to see a story being told by what happens rather than people explaining what is supposed to be happening. The relationships between the characters, their motivations, and the general setting in the world can be derived by what the characters do and what they say to each other without anything feeling unnatural. The title cards for the character names are pretty hilarious too. For a show with a dark setting where people don't seem to mind killing each other, the tone is pretty whimsical. Pirates of the Caribbean comes to mind... for more than one reason (lol).

So yeah, the story seems interesting enough, the characters are better than expected, the animation is great, the action is great, the music is phenomenal. Unless they totally fuck it up, this could be a real winner.

I genuinely think if this keeps up for 3 more episodes I can recommend it to friends regardless of the half naked girl. I'll just pretend she's a succubus.

Fate/Stay Night: UBW 0

Man Rin needs to get laid really badly, she blushes at every little comment Archer makes and then tsunderes here way though school like nobodies business. Slow to start but when it picked up damn Ufotable killed it. The action scene between Archer and Lancer should sell anyone who's on the fence that this should be awesome.

duckroll

I genuinely think if this keeps up for 3 more episodes I can recommend it to friends regardless of the half naked girl. I'll just pretend she's a succubus.

I don't really think the nudity is a problem though. The show doesn't even do the typical embarrassing anime thing of having the naked girl blush or rub herself. There isn't anything particularly gross here. Sexy sure, but not gross.

Teremap

Banned
Log Horizon 2 - 01
YES. Though the artwork admittedly seems to have taken a hit from the studio switch, it's still more Log H, and that's more than I can ask for. Monk-girl's outfit is kind of funny though, especially with those massive knockers. I guess they do have the excuse of typical MMO outfit design... but whatever, that's hardly going to stop me from enjoying more Shiroe keikaku and MMORPG fun.

Shingeki no Bahamut - Genesis - 01
Damn, you guys weren't kidding about the production values. Ridiculously well-built show. The contrast between this and the anime adaptation of Blade & Soul is absurd. That outfit, though.. and the constant ass shots! Yeah, that's going to be a bit of a detractor for me, honestly. Still gonna keep an eye on it. Hope they didn't just blow their animation budget on the first episode.

I don't really think the nudity is a problem though. The show doesn't even do the typical embarrassing anime thing of having the naked girl blush or rub herself. There isn't anything particularly gross here. Sexy sure, but not gross.
That's... not really how it works. Frankly, I think the show would have been better served with her being completely naked rather than going the metal-on-skin bikini armor route.

Akame ga Kill! 14

Who names their daughter Esdeath anyway? That's like naming your son Kamille. And just realized her entire ideological justification boils down to "It can't be helped"
And that preview, my mind has blanked on a lot of this series, I can remember a handful of big things (aka manga reader shitstorms) and that's it.

Akame ga Kill! Theater 10-13

Series would def be better if there were giant robots and launch sequences

Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun Specials 01

Ohhhh noooooo don't turn the beach chapter into a short episode!

Shingeki no Kyoj-errrrrrrr, Bahamut - Genesis 01

0b9fc12f2c.jpg

THIS IS MY KINDA MC

Duckroll fucking vindicated
And "LET'S BAHAMUT TO THE MAX AGAIN NEXT WEEK" lmao perfect
-----------------------------------------------

Seems like this Wolf Girl show is about S&M but it's not the Nana to Karou adaptation so who cares

Tiger and Bunny

Tiger_%26_Bunny_vol_1.jpg

Good show that doesn't fall too much into the typical superhero cliches. The story was amazing and unique and again not your average superhero show. The main protagonist being a +40 year old man with a daughter instead of a whiny teens like in most anime despite not being targeted towards that older age group was refreshing. Really anime in general should lower the use of angsty teens/kids as the main character, it's been done to death and those shows all follow the same routine more or less.

Tiger&Bunny is a stupid name for an anime with content like this though, the super flashy/colourful ads with bad cgi and cheesy lines didn't inspire me to watch it either, I kept delaying watching because at first glance it just looks like a generic show.

Can't wait what's next.

Jex

I don't think it's necessarily the outfit (all though the outfit is bad) it was all the camera work right up her ass that was the problem.

Akame ga Kill - 14

Damn Esdeath is cray cray, why doesn't she drop those huge icespheres on every enemy? Instakill.
Interesting philosophy with strong vs weak and how its rooted in her youth. Can't complain about second best girl getting more alone time.
Looks like alot of plot next time

Taruranto

Give her the G. #1-2

This is definitely a mecha anime, alright.

I dunno... I keep feeling like I'm missing something here. Maybe it's the technobabble, but isn't this supposed to be watchable even if you are a total original Gundam noob?

Give her the G. #1-2

I dunno... I keep feeling like I'm missing something here. Maybe it's the technobabble, but isn't this supposed to be watchable even if you are a total original Gundam noob?

That's what I thought but there's loads of things in there that would only make sense if you'd watched UC (like Minovsky Particles). Some of the technobabble is all new though.

Give her the G. #1-2

Yes, that's what it's supposed to be, but they have U.C. terms like...well, U.C. and Minovsky Particles and a whole slew of new factions and new terms.

duckroll

Similarities between Garo and Bahamut:

- MAPPA TV anime
- Airing in Fall 2014
- Dark fantasy
- Bad people summon demons
- Giant monsters
- Lots of fire effects
- First episode has horses running on rooftops
- First episode has female nudity
- First episode has a scene with uncensored male butt

Jarmel

Banned
Shingeki no Bahamut-1

I guess I liked this. It feels like a Western live action movie made into a fantasy anime rather than the reverse. The characters are fascinating and there is already a strong dynamic between the different parties. It feels like a mix of Tiger and Bunny with Samurai Champloo. I like Orange-kun much more than I thought I would.

There are a couple of things I want to note, the first of which is the sound direction. Really notable job especially when Orange-kun was in the chapel as due to the acoustics of the place, there was an echo effect. I can't remember the last time that somebody's voice changed due to the location being indoors. Expanding on that, I loved the soundtrack. Really big emphasis on trumpets, which is always nice.

I'm a bit more mixed on the art direction at times as I feel that there is too much CGI. That was more of an issue in the beginning than the later half. The whole thing is animated beautifully though.

Also fuck Funimation's video player. Blacks are crushed to death. Really makes it hard to appreciate the darker scenes(in which there are a lot).

Shingeki no Bahamut - Genesis - 01

Why was everything I saw so enjoyable? Why was all the scenery and characters so awesome to watch? This shit is based on a fucking f2p Japanese cell phone game. Its not supposed to be this interesting and well made. I'm not supposed to be hype for the next episode of this show.

Damn you duckroll!!!!!

Dresden

- MAPPA TV anime
- Airing in Fall 2014
- Dark fantasy
- Giant monsters
- Lots of fire effects

maruyama ;_;7

duckroll

Shingeki no Bahamut-1

There are a couple of things I want to note, the first of which is the sound direction. Really notable job especially when Orange-kun was in the chapel as due to the acoustics of the place, there was an echo effect. I can't remember the last time that somebody's voice changed due to the location being indoors. Expanding on that, I loved the soundtrack. Really big emphasis on trumpets, which is always nice.

FUNi isn't even giving us the full experience. This show is mastered in 5.1. It'll be interesting to see how much better the mix is with full surround. :D

- MAPPA TV anime
- Airing in Fall 2014
- Dark fantasy
- Giant monsters
- Lots of fire effects

Man I'm gonna get confused

Status