• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm still hyped for Gundam, the good one just hasn't aired yet.

It took me a while to understand which gundam you were talking about.
Well, my main course is still due to come, and it's going to be delicious.

G-Reco is gud, meh.

The first episode was horrendous cheese with characters talking to themselves about EVERYTHING.
I don't really like to be fed everything because I am not an idiot.

Reknoc

Bahamut may have taken the lead so far, but G-Reco is still as legit as the world is not square.

Also after the outstanding first episode of Bahamut, to its Final Fantasy XIV opening to the crazy chase scene, you may find yourself on the appstore of your phone device of choice looking at the game itself but take my word; don't do it, it's the same bad f2p card game as all the others.

phaze

Shingeki no Bahamut 1

I do prefer my fantasy anime more grounded and serious (I'll get my Witcher animu one day!) but this was good nonetheless. The demons and dragons stuff as well as the general tone remind me of Slayers a bit. I wasn't big on the main protagonist's character design but it works within the confines of the show. It helps that he's a funny and a well written character so far.

Outside of some iffy CG this was great looking episode and I only hope the production values won't drastically plummet down further down the line as is the case with so many shows.

Bahamut wasn't on my radar before the wave of favourable impression made its way here but this was an impressive effort and I'm in for more.

Quasar

Star Wars Rebels 1 - This new series is off to a pretty nice start. Really nice OT tone for the most part and a pretty nice bunch of main characters. Reminds me of Firefly a bit too. Looked decent enough, even if TV CG can't do wookies.

Really sucks to hear about World Trigger's adaptation. How they can put such little effort in the first episode, unbelievable. What a disgrace to the mangaka.

The Seven Deadly Sins was incredible. Brilliant adaptation. Shame it isn't getting the simulcast and attention it deserves....

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Erg, everything about Seven Deadly Sins rubbed me the wrong way, discount Akame Ga Kill mixed with Fairly Tail, but it is strange that one is not getting a simulcast.

The Seven Deadly Sins was incredible. Brilliant adaptation. Shame it isn't getting the simulcast and attention it deserves....

You should wait until it is available in decent English before worrying about no one appreciating it.

Grisaia 1
They handled the opening pretty well, and they nailed the comedy, which is really what I care about here. I didn't much care for the serious parts even in the VN, so it's hard to imagine they'll be good in a short adaptation.

Vanadis 01

I know what line is coming. I can just feel it.

"u r mine nao"

Yep, I knew it. Click.

Fate UBW 00

Ugh so amazing. It is literally perfect. Time to see what Bahamut animu is all about.

Fate/Stay Night UBW 0

Great visuals, bad characters.

Hopefully Rin doesn't become a character where all her actions are tsundere-like with no other personable traits. I read a lot about how people are sad that the focus will change from her to Shirou, but by the end I could barely stand her. I mean what level of bad protag are we talking here? Kirito-like?

We are talking about sexist-like, as in, "Nooooo, you can't go fighting because you're a-a girl! Let me go instead despite the fact I'm, in every way, subpar in any and all fighting ability!"

Granted it is UBW being adapted and, even though I don't remember, people swear Shirou gets better and is less sexist. If anything else, if not the characters, I'm here for the movie-quality animation.

Finalow

smh, you had to reply with this
bgundamsousei0110_11-e1284865571110.jpg

Kokkuri -san 1
A very fun comedy, sort of reminds me of Barakamon except with an emotional detached cynical kid instead of an innocent lively one

Fireblend

Banned
Cross Ange 1

I watched this out of morbid curiosity. I regret it =/

Sora no Method 1

This was cute. Might give it another episode or two, since I guess the mystery's interesting, it seems to be pretty lighthearted so far and the animation and design isn't too bad. The MC was a total asshole to blue-haired girl though, I'm glad she got to apologize.

Shingeki no Bahamut 1

I'll echo everyone's impressions here and say this was really, really good. The use of CG is a shame, because everything else works so well. Lovely setting, awesome world and character design and what looks to be like an enjoyable fantasy story. I'm of the opinion that anime gets fantasy wrong 90% of the time, so I'm really looking forward to finding out whether this one will get it right.

Vito

Banned
19 years later and I'm still getting new Asuka illustrations, life is good in that regard. Usually these product placement illustrations tend to be subpar, but this one is actually good!

Figured I'd spam it here since no one else did and I haven't posted in a while. Also I'm throwing in my vote with all the Shingeki no Bahamut recommendations, episode 1 was tons of fun.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Kaitou Joker Episode 1:

This just reminds me the Lupin the 3rd not only exists but is way, way better then this program, pass.

Rage of Bahamut 1
This was quite good, though not quite what I expected after all the crazy hyperbole thrown about it in this thread. Even if they can't continue with these levels of production, it should be an entertaining adventure story.

mankoto

FSN - UBW 0
The entire episode was in Rin's point of view. The next will be in Shirou's I presume?

So far though, it looks pretty good. Visually and plot wise. Kind of want to get back into the VN (read maybe 20 minutes and stopped) so I have an idea of what's going on since it wouldn't be the route this one is adapting.

Link Man

Banned
Kaitou Joker Episode 1:

This just reminds me the Lupin the 3rd not only exists but is way, way better then this program, pass.

If you want a magical thief this season, check out Magic Kaito 1412. Feels like a lost classic from the 90's. Just too bad nobody's picked it up.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Kaitou Joker 01
I get that I'm not the target audience but this is really bad. 2d cars tho

Shingeki no Bahamut - 01

I share the sentiment on this show for the most part. However the big CGI dragon in the opening (and later dream sequence), that I assume is of high importance, looked like god damn garbage. Considering how reminiscent that prologue is to the one FF IV cinematic I also cannot help thinking about how much worse it looks. Now no amount of wishful thinking allows for similar production values for that prologue, however, that dragon looked so, so poor. It was outright screaming "I'm a low poly, poorly rigged 3D model!" in my face.

When something stands out this badly it does bother me quite a bit, even if its one of those things that doesn't matter for the big picture. I hope the dragon and other CGI creations won't look quite so bad in most scenes that involve 'em.

Another pet peeve of mine are those action scenes that are supposed to look awfully cool but require an absurd amount of suspension of disbelief from me. Now this is quite a magical world it would appear and I'll even accept most of the anime physics (rooftop-horse-riding and all). But when the one protagonist cuts loose this gigantic wheel I can't help but think "yeh, this totally wouldn't end up causing a lot of destruction and a bunch of deaths...right". That's not supposed to matter, it's just made to look cool, but I prefer doing so without stretching my suspension of disbelief quite that far.

I hate a lot of the car chase sequences in regular movies for this reason. There's so many where even the 'heroes' drive so reckless that it's an absolute impossibility to go as well as it does.

Again, a pet peeve of mine though. As long as a fictional world adheres to the limits it sets itself I don't mind how crazy it gets. But usually basic physics adherence seems to fluctuate heavily in these kinds of shows and that just rubs me the wrong way. Like...that giant wheel sequences isn't actually all that cool and impressive if it doesn't behave like a giant wheel in the first place...

Lastly, the fucking ass shots were really unnecessary and a stain for this, overall definitely stellar, first episode. The camera angle was so awkward that these bunch of shots were ludicrously distracting.

I hope to see less of that but when s.th. like that makes it in there in the first place I'll remain doubtful about that for now.

Anyways, still a great start for the series, I just wanted to mention my misgivings with it.

Shingeki no Bahamut - 01
Another pet peeve of mine are those action scenes that are supposed to look awfully cool but require an absurd amount of suspension of disbelief from me. Now this is quite a magical world it would appear and I'll even accept most of the anime physics (rooftop-horse-riding and all). But when the one protagonist cuts loose this gigantic wheel I can't help but think "yeh, this totally wouldn't end up causing a lot of destruction and a bunch of deaths...right". That's not supposed to matter, it's just made to look cool, but I prefer doing so without stretching my suspension of disbelief quite that far.

The zoomed out part of that rooftop sequence actually bothered me because it looked like the horses were just floating by on a 2D background, they weren't moving in a believable fashion at all.

Defuser

Shingeki no Bahamut ep 1
Alright duckroll you win. Episode 1 is impressive with the fluid visuals, Can't say anything about the plot yet since its still the beginning. Alright, time to check out Garo......

mankoto

G-Reco 1
I get it, and yet I don't. The actual premise of the show seems fine. But then you listen to soundtrack and how some scenes worked out (like those zoom-ins) it felt "dated." If someone were to tell me that this was an HD Remaster of something from the 90's or maybe even the 80's, if it wasn't for the CG, I would've believed them.

Mature

I was pretty much sold on G-Reco when that old dude was using his fancy binoculars to see the girl that was like 10 feet away. So good.

Steins;Gate - 19

I almost jumped out of my seat and cheered when
Moeka got punched in the face by Okabe. Sooo satisfying.

But it turns out the root of all the real evil that's been done in this show lies with FB.

Oh shit it was Facebook all along! It all makes sense now! No wonder the future's a dystopia! Facebook used the power of time machines and bought everything in the world to get control of it all!

Barakamon 12 END

That was a great series but for some reason it doesnt have any mindshare from me. Like I know I loved and enjoyed every episode but I cant really recall more than 2-3 scenes that really stood out. The joy came from just talking and simple interactions between the villagers and Handa so its really hard to pinpoint one scene. Hopefully I wont forget about it during AOTY voting.

More Handa mom please.

Link Man

Banned
Steins;Gate - 19

I almost jumped out of my seat and cheered when
Moeka got punched in the face by Okabe. Sooo satisfying.

But it turns out the root of all the real evil that's been done in this show lies with FB.

Oh shit it was Facebook all along! It all makes sense now! No wonder the future's a dystopia! Facebook used the power of time machines and bought everything in the world to get control of it all!

Gotta admit, I was really disturbed when
Shining Finger started freaking out and crying when Okarin took her phone away.
Really effective voice acting (at least in the sub),
really felt pity for her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom