• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.
Michiko to Hatchin 1

Randomly stumbled across this on Funimation's YouTube page. Holy hell I love the style of this show. The Latin American setting really stuck out to me, being a Dominican who frequents his home country. I love Michiko's design. That being said, the actual episode was ROUGH. Just a half hour of this little girl being tortured by her shithead siblings. Then again, that just made the end so much sweeter. Have I mentioned how beautiful the intro is too? I think I'm gonna marathon this

Anyone else here seen this show before?

Teremap

Banned
Grisaia no Kajitsu 1

I went into this blind so the final scenes were a bit unexpected for me. Reminds of Akuma no Riddle. Hopefully it doesn't suck like it. A bit cautious at the moment.
Yeah, just watched it and this is pretty much what I took away from it.

I did enjoy the MC's deadpan expression as he saw panty shot after panty shot and even bare breasts (lol @ dat censorship tho, gotta sell dem blu-rays). That, and the way he pushes back at the other cast members. That sort of back-and-forth conversation is waaay better than the one-sided shit they've been selling for years.

Let's see what they can do with it.

Michiko to Hatchin 1

Randomly stumbled across this on Funimation's YouTube page. Holy hell I love the style of this show. The Latin American setting really stuck out to me, being a Dominican who frequents his home country. I love Michiko's design. That being said, the actual episode was ROUGH. Just a half hour of this little girl being tortured by her shithead siblings. Then again, that just made the end so much sweeter. Have I mentioned how beautiful the intro is too? I think I'm gonna marathon this

Yep, watched the entire thing and enjoyed the hell out of it. I should probably watch it again dubbed.

Satoshi makes for a really great villain.

Blusby

Grisaia 1
An interesting take on this genre with a protagonist ignoring the harem bullshit. The meetings with the girls especially with the tsundere were fairly funny. Going to guess there's a stupid plot twist that makes this less enjoyable

Hopefully they cram in as much comedic SoL scenes as they can, I don't wanna re-experience the durama.

Oh, so you could take a car up the mountain if you wanted to?

In the anime they made it an overnight trip, but I assume that's because you can't really climb at night, but you need to be there fairly early to make the summit by the sunrise.

The fact that there are little inns or whatever at each of the stages seems interesting as well. I guess I never thought of a commercialized mountain before, other than Mt Everest.

Oh no, the vehicle path they have is super loose dirt. The vehicles that go up and down all have treads on them, anything with wheels would just dig in and get stuck

But actually you can (and most do) climb at night. What most people do is set off in the morning/noonish time and get to their overnight hut in the evening (this requires a reservation in advance as space is limited and it fills up). Get what sleep you can, then wake up around 2am and make the rest of the climb to the summit at night. Just about everyone has headlamps as they do this. The idea is to get to the summit so you can watch the sunrise.

I got some photos of my climb in my album that I posted on the Japan travel thread if you want to see.

https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=5dfd...06&ithint=folder,JPG&authkey=!AACw_FFGHMGKmN4

So based off of the impressions in this thread, I believe this is the consensus:

Bahamut is good so far
Cross Ange is awful

Is this correct?

I haven't seen anything about Sora no Method. Is the first episode any good? I don't want to miss anything, even if I usually don't watch the genre, because I almost skipped Barakamon last season.

World Trigger 1

Enjoyed the manga the first 30ish chapters I read of it

Toei gonna Toei though :/

The series in manga form really didn't pick up for click for like 10-15 chapters so I imagine most people here will bail out long before that point but the series does get a lot better.

Thoraxes

AnimeGAF, a question. I know that there is Initial D, Wangan Midnight, F-Zero (though it barely counts), Speed Racer, and Redline. IGPX too in a sense, are there any anime or even manga about racing? Preferably futuristic racing? I don't think I've ever seen one.
Outlaw Star has a space race/grand prix episode.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance

Thoraxes

Michiko to Hatchin 1

I loved Michiko to Hatchin. Great show that has that nice traveling sense of adventure I miss these days. The ending is pretty good too.

For those who preordered the Cowboy Bebop Blu ray sets, did you get the Amazon or Funination exclusive?

I preordered the Amazon one because of the art books for $70 before price hike while the Funimation exclusive one is only $65 currently.
Amazon for the cheaper price I got locked in. Didn't want just bar ebony for something like Bebop.

wonzo

Banned
tokyo 9/11 11 end

This was definitely a much stronger finish that I was expecting and the whole EMP thing (barring the odd heart attack) made sense and fit in perfectly with the whole "no-deaths" thing. Saying that, I think the lack of civilian casualties was an absolutely massive cop-out and significantly weakened whole point the writer was trying to make. A shame too as there was some real potential here. Oh well.

tl;dr CODE:BREAKER did the terrorism thing so much better that its not even funny

AKU NO AKU

Shingeki no Bahamut: Genesis 1

Okay, that was pretty freakin awesome. Awesome animation and just entertaining in general. Hope they can keep up the quality.

Everyone has really lippy...lips in this show haha. Liking demon chick a lot.

Space Dandy 17

An insubstantial trifle, but I love musicals so I was fond of it. The character animation was A+ too, very detailed and realistic. The 80s training montage was clearly the highlight of the episode though.

Steins;Gate - 17

Oh wow.

Damn...

So in order to save Mayuri, they have to get the IBN back, which means undoing all the D-mails they sent. Simple right?

Nope. Turns out the D-mail Faris sent saved her father's life. And now they had to undo it to save Mayuri's.

;_;

So, this also means that they're gonna have to turn Ruka back into a boy doesn't it?

Cross Ange 1

Oh FFS

Anime you had a girl in a mech suit fighting fucking dragons and a budget, that's all you needed

This norma shit and yuri anal rape is just

13384252372756.jpg

The concept of the norma is fine, but the execution of it was laughable, never mind the pointless fan service rape scene which while not as awful as I was expecting was still really dumb.

At some point the author of a series needs to look at what he's writing and go "nope this is a bad idea, I'm not making a hentai" or they need to go "this is almost too raunchy fuck it lets make it hentai" instead of this wishy washy in the middle crap

jbug617

Banned
Nobody licensed Kotoura-san yet?

For those who preordered the Cowboy Bebop Blu ray sets, did you get the Amazon or Funination exclusive?

I preordered the Amazon one because of the art books for $70 before price hike while the Funimation exclusive one is only $65 currently.

I did Amazon (when it was $70) because I can use Bing Rewards to get $5 gift cards to help pay for it until it comes out in December.

Cross Ange 1

Oh FFS

Anime you had a girl in a mech suit fighting fucking dragons and a budget, that's all you needed

This norma shit and yuri anal rape is just

13384252372756.jpg

The concept of the norma is fine, but the execution of it was laughable, never mind the pointless fan service rape scene which while not as awful as I was expecting was still really dumb.

At some point the author of a series needs to look at what he's writing and go "nope this is a bad idea, I'm not making a hentai" or they need to go "this is almost too raunchy fuck it lets make it hentai" instead of this wishy washy in the middle crap

I have no idea what this is about but I watched the last 4 minutes of the episode on CR. LOLOLOL WTF DID I JUST WATCH

Cross Ange 1

Underwhelming after all the reactions. Was expecting blood orgies and just general depravity. What I got wasn't even close to that. Basically, I wanted a trainwreck and instead barely got a segue tipping over.

But seriously, I honestly kind of liked it. There was just something "off" about the baby Norma and follow-up scenes, right down to the happy presentation and soundtrack. I love that kind of cognitive dissonance, especially when it's immediately revealed you're not supposed to take the scenes as their tone suggests (which lead to the cathartic reveal of
Ange being a Norma
). Yeah, they laid the racism on a little thick, but I thought it was still effective to a degree.

Think I'll actually keep up with this.

tokyo 9/11 11 end

This was definitely a much stronger finish that I was expecting and the whole EMP thing (barring the odd heart attack) made sense and fit in perfectly with the whole "no-deaths" thing. Saying that, I think the lack of civilian casualties was an absolutely massive cop-out and significantly weakened whole point the writer was trying to make. A shame too as there was some real potential here. Oh well.

tl;dr CODE:BREAKER did the terrorism thing so much better that its not even funny

AKU NO AKU

yes but was Code:Breaker a good show
cuz I dropped everything about it but the OP from my playlist by ep 5

fertygo

the norma thing is just rip off of x-men concept tho, a bit shame because I had smile the protag is like if Dr. trask that realizing she's magneto, LOLOLOL

Oh Sunrise, you realize Love Live didn't have genital mutilation scene to printing money by itself didn't you..

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
tokyo 9/11 11 end

AKU NO AKU

#Team_AKU forever

Steins;Gate - 18

Not as strong as the previous episodes, but still pretty darn all right. The Faris and Hashida stories were much stronger, IMO.

Now all they have to do is
reverse Shining Finger's D-Mail.

Not much else to say but those hands of theirs are burning red! Their load roars tells Okabe to change the past, along with the future!

Cross Ange 1

Underwhelming after all the reactions. Was expecting blood orgies and just general depravity. What I got wasn't even close to that. Basically, I wanted a trainwreck and instead barely got a segue tipping over.

But seriously, I honestly kind of liked it. There was just something "off" about the baby Norma and follow-up scenes, right down to the happy presentation and soundtrack. I love that kind of cognitive dissonance, especially when it's immediately revealed you're not supposed to take the scenes as their tone suggests (which lead to the cathartic reveal of
Ange being a Norma
). Yeah, they laid the racism on a little thick, but I thought it was still effective to a degree.

Think I'll actually keep up with this.

More or less agree, I plan to keep watching as well just to see where this goes.

Pocket Monsters Diamond and Pearl 188:
It's the conclusion of the battle the whole series was leading to, and it really works out. The last act of the Satoshi vs Shinji match gave both of them some great chances to pull out crazy strategies outsmart the other one, especially then Satoshi's final gambit. It was quite fitting that Goukazaru would be the final one to step up for Satoshi, given his whole story with Shinji dating back to the beginning of the show.

Pretty much as soon as Goukazaru came out, the episode got even better, and the music became out of this world good. And then after all of that great fighting, we get to the final bit, with Goukazaru down and Elekible calling out and him seeing Shinji, and the real finale starts, and freaking Type: Wild starts playing and I just went nuts. It was a wonderful final act for that battle, and the final scene with complete silence before Elekible fell over was pretty sublime.

The closing moments of the episode then gave some opportunity for reflection on Satoshi/Shinji's rivalry (with a nice quote from Shirona given while they have this last meeting), and the opportunity for them to meet again. It's pretty remarkable just how much Shinji changed from his original asshole into a really fantastic foil to Satoshi. It's taken me years, but now I only have three episodes left. Not sure if I'm ready for this show to be over, yet, although at least there's the next series to start up afterwards.

Parasyte still hasn't been licensed hmmmm. Man I really hope it doesn't turn into a Barakamon situation, cause that would suck :( And that's the show I really want to watch.

Cross Ange 01

Oh man, between the incessant fanservice, the hammy melodrama, the incest subplot, and general creepy rape vibes, this is gonna be a masterpiece in shit. Can't wait for episode 2.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Akame ga Kill! - 13

Does anyone understand why this show seems so intent on straddling the morally ambiguous line? Maybe a more correct description is that its constantly trying to humanize both sides but I'm still struggling through each episode trying to figure out what the end game is. It's not necessarily that the humanization of the government forces is slowly making me sympathetic to them but rather every moment spent humanizing them feels like a waste of time and I find it aggravating. If it wanted to walk a morally gray line between two opposing factions, it should take some lessons from something like Basalisk.

Cross Ange 01

Oh man, between the incessant fanservice, the hammy melodrama, the incest subplot, and general creepy rape vibes, this is gonna be a masterpiece in shit. Can't wait for episode 2.

Nothing to say about the yuri harem brest fondling ending credits? Is that going to be part of the shows ending every episode? Speaking of ending, that character profile pan (a la Gundam Seed) seems really strange and doesn't seem to paint a gradient of factions between two extremes. Granted I don't know where all the factions fall in place based on the first episode but seeing how on the nose everything in the episode was, I don't think the placement of the characters in the parallax made any sense.

Cross Ange

It's going to be the good kind of trainwreck of the season, I can feel it.

Aikatsu, Try, G-Reco and Cross Ange. Sunrise filling in all the niche.

Seems like Sunrise has a winner.

After that SEED rip-off OP, it became impossible to take Cross Ange even remotely seriously, nevermind the inherent crazy factors to begin with.

And that's kind of what you want out of a show that goes out of its way to feel terrible.

fertygo

Cool Tribe Crew - 02

Sunrise's best show of the season, there's only one contender tho.

Celestial Method

Holy shit, heaven smile for firehawk.. hope its can became example if KEY anime actually good.

Gugure Kokkuri san 1

I don't know why, but this gives me Joshiraku vibes, yet more... tolerable? There's something off about this show, but I don't know what.

There's really nothing remarkable about it and it's pretty 4koma-ish, but I guess I'll keep watching for now?

Steins;Gate - 17

Oh wow.

Damn...

So in order to save Mayuri, they have to get the IBN back, which means undoing all the D-mails they sent. Simple right?

Nope. Turns out the D-mail Faris sent saved her father's life. And now they had to undo it to save Mayuri's.

;_;

So, this also means that they're gonna have to turn Ruka back into a boy doesn't it?
oh

you wait good sir

you wait

Jarmel

Banned
Garo-1

Liked this a lot. I apparently missed dark fantasy. Again my major complaint is too much CGI. Some of the battle sequences just have way too much to the point of it being hard to tell what is going on. Both leads seem fairly interesting.

Soundtrack was really good.

MAPPA being giving it to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom