• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeFu

Banned
I can't help hitting the print screen button when watching Hidamari Sketch

Takes me too long to watch one episode because I gotta turn of subs and stuff lol

Here's a gallery from episode 8

iedJT8Iz1kuJB.png

mankoto

SAO II 14
This arc is over, and another will begin.
Kirito geniusly introduces Sinon to Asuna not mentioning that Asuna is his girlfriend. #BuildingTheHarem

Madoka: Rebellion

I needed some time to let everything soak in after watching it.

But before anything, I gotta say the opening sequence was absolutely enchanting. It felt like some sort of disturbing disney musical. The singing and behaviors just felt very disney like. The whole sequence and the music was stuck in my head, and I rewatched it a few times. It was awesome.

Anyways, on to the movie. I can see why many fans would be upset at the ending. I thought it was solid. I'm unhappy with how
Homura reaches a new level of suffering
but I felt like this is the direction the series had to go anyways. It sucks though.
She suffered more than any of the girls, and now, the more she protects Madoka, the farther she will be from her and at odds. lts brutal. I think she had a mental breakdown at the ending.

She should have kept her mouth shut
about the witches
. I felt betrayed by
QB again, I thought these little bastards would stop being such bastards but I was wrong. They went ahead and started to perform cruel experiments trying to capture Madoka. I wish things were as happy go lucky as Homuras labyrinth. If only. Fucking QB.

Even though
Homura is now a "devil", I dont think its from an "evil" POV. Just something thats different from God Madoka. It seems shes a lot more powerful than God Madoka and seems to have some influence over the Incubators. You cant fool me again. The cute little bastards will find another way to torture the girls again.

Even so, I'm still lost and confused about a few things. It would be great if some of you can help me piece things together:

1) So Homura stripped Madokas power because she felt shes the only one able to protect her? That as long as Madoka exists in her new reality, no one will be able to mess with her and her peaceful lifestyle?

2) How did Sayaka and Bebe know what was going on? How did they become Madokas "heralds"? I thought they were dead. So when Madoka got pulled into the labyrinth trying to save Homura, these 2 were pulled in as well? If so, how come their memories werent erased?

3) Are these girls in the end real? Did Sayaka, Mami, Kyoko and Nagisa come back to life for real? They dont have magical girl memories but do they know they are friends?

4) What use does Homura have now for the Incubators? She mentioned that she will be keeping an eye on them or something.

5) So the ending for episode 12 was the beginning of Homuras witch transformation? I read somewhere the writer said that wasnt even in Japan.

All in all, I really enjoyed this ride. I havent spent so much time thinking about a series in a long time, its definitely one of my favorites now. SHAFT did an incredible job making really disturbing but very creative artwork as it was a pleasure to just look at. Cant say enough about the soundtrack. Hope theres more in the future.

Jex

Shingeki no Bahamut - 01

[...]

Another pet peeve of mine are those action scenes that are supposed to look awfully cool but require an absurd amount of suspension of disbelief from me. Now this is quite a magical world it would appear and I'll even accept most of the anime physics (rooftop-horse-riding and all). But when the one protagonist cuts loose this gigantic wheel I can't help but think "yeh, this totally wouldn't end up causing a lot of destruction and a bunch of deaths...right". That's not supposed to matter, it's just made to look cool, but I prefer doing so without stretching my suspension of disbelief quite that far.

I hate a lot of the car chase sequences in regular movies for this reason. There's so many where even the 'heroes' drive so reckless that it's an absolute impossibility to go as well as it does.

Again, a pet peeve of mine though. As long as a fictional world adheres to the limits it sets itself I don't mind how crazy it gets. But usually basic physics adherence seems to fluctuate heavily in these kinds of shows and that just rubs me the wrong way. Like...that giant wheel sequences isn't actually all that cool and impressive if it doesn't behave like a giant wheel in the first place...

I kind of understand what you mean but, you're basically asking why an action movie is behaving like an action movie. Spectacle and mayhem go hand in and and there's rarely any 'sense' to it. This has always been the case in Hollywood blockbusters and it continues to be the case here.

mankoto

Even so, I'm still lost and confused about a few things. It would be great if some of you can help me piece things together:

1) So Homura stripped Madokas power because she felt shes the only one able to protect her? That as long as Madoka exists in her new reality, no one will be able to mess with her and her peaceful lifestyle?

2) How did Sayaka and Bebe know what was going on? How did they become Madokas "heralds"? I thought they were dead. So when Madoka got pulled into the labyrinth trying to save Homura, these 2 were pulled in as well? If so, how come their memories werent erased?

3) Are these girls in the end real? Did Sayaka, Mami, Kyoko and Nagisa come back to life for real? They dont have magical girl memories but do they know they are friends?

4) What use does Homura have now for the Incubators? She mentioned that she will be keeping an eye on them or something.

5) So the ending for episode 12 was the beginning of Homuras witch transformation? I read somewhere the writer said that wasnt even in Japan.

1. Yes. Madoka CAN still be God, but as long as Nomura makes sure she can't remember, then she's just a normal highschool girl.

2. It's more of the fact that Madoka literally rewrote the universe. As such, when Bebe was meant to become a Witch, when Madoka saved her, instead of going to Heaven, she became a herald. Same with Sayaka. According to Sayaka, Madoka was having fun. So much so that she forgot what she was there for... But they were still focused and didn't forget.

3. Yes they're real. They've been rewritten in Homura's universe. Everyone seems the same so nothing has changed. As for as Kyoko though, I can't remember if she's in their school or not at the end. If she is, then all is well and they more than likely know her. If not, they'd probably get some weird déjà vu feeling.

4. I don't think we actually know.

5. Something like that. It's the same spot 12 ended so Homura fought those things at the end of 12 and lost thus causing Rebellion.

Shergal

I kind of understand what you mean but, you're basically asking why an action movie is behaving like an action movie. Spectacle and mayhem go hand in and and there's rarely any 'sense' to it. This has always been the case in Hollywood blockbusters and it continues to be the case here.

I understand the sentiment though. Realistic physics aren't necessarily prohibitive to spectacle, it just takes more skill and knowledge to realise both simultaneously.

This is why Iso was so good with these large-scale things. He was able to create thrilling sequences without over-exaggerating the physics or the animation, relying instead on the weight of his realistic movement.

Jex

[Garo] - 1

This show has an amazing OP and some cool designs, but I can't say I was too thrilled by anything else. It's your standard medieval dark fantasy story with added garish CGI characters. There's nothing here that tantalises or excites me in any way.

All in all, I really enjoyed this ride. I havent spent so much time thinking about a series in a long time, its definitely one of my favorites now. SHAFT did an incredible job making really disturbing but very creative artwork as it was a pleasure to just look at. Cant say enough about the soundtrack. Hope theres more in the future.

Yay, more praise for Rebellion! Now onto clarification:

1) In a sense. I took it that Homura split Madokami (god/universal law Madoka) into two. Essentially Homura took Madoka the person and split it from Madokami, now Madokami will still go out and do its magical girl-savior-type business however it will be devoid of the personality of Madoka herself which is now in the current reality/universe that Homura created. As for why she did it, Homura believes that Madoka, deep down, ultimately didn't want to be Madokami.

2) Madokami in the anime TV series (or the previous two movies, whichever you prefer) takes every magical girl into herself enacting the role of a savior as such. While Bebe wasn't shown it is implied, as for Sayaka it is shown during the end of the previous series/movies. Sayaka and Bebe didn't lose their memories because Madokami (and them) beforehand knew that entering Homura's labyrinth was going to cost something. As Homura's despair was solely focused on Madoka, the three entered the labyrinth with Sayaka and Bebe tasked with keeping things in check knowing that there was a high probability something will happen and focus a great amount of effort onto Madokami, such great effort was the reason why Sayaka and Bebe weren't affected.

3) Everyone is real in Rebellion (with the exception of non important characters like your average joe). Within the movie it is stated that Homura's labyrinth entrapped and drew in notable individuals that mattered to her: Sakura, Mami, Madokami, Sakura, etc. With the creation of her new universe said characters are physically existing and thus assumed to be resurrected for Homura.

4) No one knows, well atleast I don't. I assume that potential arc is left off to be vague either for the sake of being vague or another hook-in for a potential story/plot continuation within the franchise.

5) You mean the ending shot where she grew wings? I assume so given the same color scheme used in the transformation in Rebellion.

Jex

I understand the sentiment though. Realistic physics aren't necessarily prohibitive to spectacle, it just takes more skill and knowledge to realise both simultaneously.

This is why Iso was so good with these large-scale things. He was able to create thrilling sequences without over-exaggerating the physics or the animation, relying instead on the weight of his realistic movement.

I do understand the concept of realistic action set pieces, and I'll also agree that it takes skill to do them well but I just don't think Bahamut was ever pretending to be set in reality. From the second you see those horses jump 50 feet off an aqueduct onto a roof the director has signalled that anything could happen.

Now, I can understand that NaDannMaGoGo isn't a fan of that kind of 'reality abuse' on principal but I don't think it's something you can hold against the episode.

Shergal

I do understand the concept of realistic action set pieces, and I'll also agree that it takes skill to do them well but I just don't think Bahamut was ever pretending to be set in reality. From the second you see those horses jump 50 feet off an aqueduct onto a roof the director has signalled that anything could happen.

Now, I can understand that NaDannMaGoGo isn't a fan of that kind of 'reality abuse' on principal but I don't think it's something you can hold against the episode.

Nah, I don't think it's a problem with the show. There's a place for both realism and "realism", but it'd still be nice to see more of the former.

TUSR

Banned
Steins;Gate 19

Welp, we know
where the IBN 5100. But we haven't undid the last D-Mail, whether that is important or not who knows.

Almost looked like there was foreshadowing
that Mayuri was FB with the flash back scene.
Shining Finger
is also insane, she went absolutely bonkers.

Love, Election and Chocolate 03

The Food Research Club get some unexpected help with the campaign.

And there's some tension between half-sisters and Ojima got some kind of relationship with the teacher? Hm...

[Garo] - 1

This show has an amazing OP and some cool designs, but I can't say I was too thrilled by anything else. It's your standard medieval dark fantasy story with added garish CGI characters. There's nothing here that tantalises or excites me in any way.

yeah, the op is by JAM project who also did the second opening for nobunaga the fool.
You know their shit is top tier everytime, all the time.

Nah, I don't think it's a problem with the show. There's a place for both realism and "realism", but it'd still be nice to see more of the former.

Yeh that's pretty much it.

I'm well aware though that creating these kind of action pieces that are somewhat logical even in detail is one hell of a task and actually demanding that kind of quality in your average or heck, even good, production is borderline ignorant.

When it does happen though, it's a wonderful thing.

I recall going into Evangelion with the expectation of hating the mech combat sequences because the series was somewhat old and quite frankly, at that point I considered big robots fighting to be lame.

However, the fight against the first angel was actually really impressive to me and I think that's because the physics interaction you'd expect from such heavy hitters was pulled off superbly. Like I'd praise Diablo 3 for the fluid and meaty combat, it's also the impression I got there. It just felt right.

Of course the angels and Evas themselves are completely otherworldly. But the effects teh AT fields etc. had on the surroundings seemed right.

Another great example is of course Asuka's fight against the Prototypes in EoE.

Now going back to the giant wheel scene from Bahamut, it feels like they came up with the idea of a nice action sequence involving a giant wheel and put in enough work to make it somewhat plausible. Because if you want more realism it gets real tricky real quickly. For example, they obviously do not want any innocent bystander to die in that scene, shining the protagonists in a completely different light. Yet, making this more realistic means you actually gotta give a valid reason as to why that wheel is staying on course so well. Being somewhat robust build seems hardly enough for it to be THAT stable, not with that kind of street (even if it's a rolling wheel).

Well and then you have to come up with some more believable solutions for that. Or why the wheel seems to rotate so darn slowly so that Kaisar can have his stylish rise. And, while we're at it. Aren't our protagonists just darn lucky that no one gets in the way and ends up a smashed tomato? I mean, should I be expected to go into this action sequences thinking "Don't worry about the characterization. This is just for cool action
they aren't negligent assholes risking innocent lives." Because if so, that makes these setpieces inherently more lame.

If any, yet so crazy action sequence, actually manages to feel solid in those regards, I sure do appreciate that.

cajunator

Banned
Grisaia no Kajitsu-1

I'm sort of mixed on this. Most of the episode left me cold. Firstly I'm not a fan of the aspect ratio. I think this was done for cinematic purposes as the intro of the anime does try to be cinematic, however it's distracting and unnecessary. That said, I got used to it by the end of the episode. Still doesn't mean I like it. The music is a bigger issue. It's way too chippy at times and really interferes with the mood of the scenes. I would have preferred a lack of music altogether in certain scenes such as the Makina/Amane introduction.

I'm also not a fan of the character designs in that they feel very VNish and cheap. This might be an extension of the problem I have with the lighting in that everything is seemingly too bright and there is a 'bloom' effect going on. However in general, the character designs just feels very generic. I also could do perfectly fine without the pantyshots. Really don't do anything for me or even for the main character inside the show.

All that said, I do like the main character a lot. He reminds me of a more realistic Sousuke (from FMP) in that he's very obviously a soldier at his core and even in this 'normal' place, he can't give up old habits. In addition, a good number of comedic moments comes from his lack of tact. I feel like he's playing out the role of a normal student even when inside he's not. That's a big aspect of the show seemingly, is that of masks all the students wear. I'm not really interested in any of the girls though, except Michiru.

The show also feels sort of dead/non-energetic. It feels like I'm watching a series of actors give a performance on a stage. I'm sure, judging by the ending, that is the point but it still is kinda weird.

The show has Makina in it. thats all that matters.
It was actually not a bad episode as far as these things go but the character designs are very VN. Not memorable in the least.

Shingeki no Bahamut - Genesis - 01

Why was everything I saw so enjoyable? Why was all the scenery and characters so awesome to watch? This shit is based on a fucking f2p Japanese cell phone game. Its not supposed to be this interesting and well made. I'm not supposed to be hype for the next episode of this show.

Damn you duckroll!!!!!

A lot of great things have very humble beginnings. the power of low expectations.

AnimeGAF, a question. I know that there is Initial D, Wangan Midnight, F-Zero (though it barely counts), Speed Racer, and Redline. IGPX too in a sense, are there any anime or even manga about racing? Preferably futuristic racing? I don't think I've ever seen one.

EX-Driver!

Just watch the Wacky Races episode of Carnival Phantasm.

yvDHosbl.jpg

Hnnnnnnngh
BAHSAHKAH! CRUSH THEM ALL!

Cross Ange: Tenshi To Ryuu No Rondo

Started off interesting and the "twist" could be seen a mile away but deer lord all of a sudden a cavity search...

Not going to go further then episode 1.

Probably for the best. Watch From the New World, Kavey

mankoto

Seven Deadly Sins 1
I actually remember reading this months ago and ended up forgetting about it. Seeing this being animated pretty happy since I enjoyed the 20 or so chapters I read.

Midonin

Inou Battle 01

Even the original Gainax wasn't constantly pumping out hits. They did a few things with Shaft like Mahoromatic and He Is My Master, for example. Then there's the matter of my new goal. There's innovation going on even in the things that are dismissed before they begin.

The idea of school and superpowers has probably existed since schools did, but that nothing is going to happen actually feels like a unique twist on it. I'm not sure how them having real powers makes it more "legit" than something like Chu2Koi, it merely means the stories are working towards different ends. One about escapism, and this one about... well, I'm not sure yet, but I think there may be something beneath - or within - the comedy.

The Yuujis and Tigres of the world are cool and all, but I'm glad there are people like Jurai around. Someone who's a natural actor, a huge dork and a slight breaker of the fourth wall. Having someone outside the club who's aware of their situation does add an interesting wrinkle to the story. Not sure who's my favorite yet, I always prefer characters more in groups than individually - it's all about how they play off each other.

The OP and ED are both alright, and I like what I see so far. Mixing magical powers with something both mundane and modern hasn't really been done like this before, and little shoutouts like Tomo's boxing gloves looking like Life Fibers are appreciated. I'm curious where this is going to go.

Inou-Battle 1
Yeah, this is exceedingly dull, even compared to the standard LN dreck we get every season. The MC's chuuni schtick is probably going to drive some people mad.

Love, Election and Chocolate 04

There's enough candidates to choose from in the election at least.

What kind of school is this? Scholarship students can't join clubs, they have to work for the school in their spare time, and they get bullied as well. At least Satsuki from financial affairs wants to do something about it if she wins the election. Seems more important than preserving the nonsense clubs at the school :p

jman2050

Inou Battle 1

Don't you undermine your entire premise when you
introduce an actual threat at the end of your first episode? Assuming it's not a bait-and-switch which I'm almost positive it is

I don't actually know how I feel about this one. It's really dumb and the MC is just as bad as Yuuta was but there are parts of it I liked and there's signs of being able to do something interesting with this setup. Will have to wait and see.

Tense start to the new season of Yowamushi a Pedal. I hope this season doesn't just cover the Inter High and new characters are introduced.......

lol at the people who claimed that the magazine artworks for Amagi weren't accurate.

KyoAni delievered more than enough fanservice in the first episode.

jgminto

Yowamushi Pedal Grande Road 1
One episode in and it feels like it never left. The pace is moving fairly well so far. If I had to guess I'd say the second day will be finished next episode or early in the episode after that. Of course, the post-ED shorts continue to be the best part of the show, they add a lot of fun characterisation that improves upon the manga. The only downside to this episode is that there was no Andy & Frank outside of the OP.

Tense start to the new season of Yowamushi a Pedal. I hope this season doesn't just cover the Inter High and new characters are introduced.......

There are still some characters to be introduced this Inter High.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom