• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.
Steins;Gate - 18

Not as strong as the previous episodes, but still pretty darn all right. The Faris and Hashida stories were much stronger, IMO.

Now all they have to do is
reverse Shining Finger's D-Mail.

Not much else to say but those hands of theirs are burning red! Their load roars tells Okabe to change the past, along with the future!

good job you are almost there! Just a few more suffering before the big reveal!
Okabe as usual is mad scientist, very cool, and a sonofabich

Did 2ch even discuss Ange as much as this thread?

dunno, but 4chan was shitting on it

zulux21

did some anime watching tonight.

World trigger episode 1... first 12 minutes
so when I talked about Madan no Ou to Vanadis I said it felt low budget but that animation doesn't really get to me.... well I take that back... apparently when a show is low budget and tries to do as little work as possible when animating stuff it will get to me. Enter world trigger... where I discovered that when you have freeze frames of everything and the background characters don't move, I will not only notice but be actively annoyed by it. The show was absolutely terrible and I couldn't remotely get through the first episode due to how bad the animation was... if you can even call it that... I mean I felt like I was watching one of those crunchy roll 1.5 animated manga things... except those have more animation going on -_- This show is dropped so hard, if someone ever tells me it is ok I will just go read the manga, as at least then when nothing is animated it won't bother me >.>

Magic Kaito 1412
very enjoyable, just a fun watch. Covered a lot of the same material as the original specials but that was to be expected, I can't wait to see the next ep.

Ace of Diamond 51
they continued to pointlessly screw around for half the episode but at least the game has finally started so I can complain for the next 20 episodes about how slow it's moving instead of them focusing on stupid things... outside of the flashback episodes that will take place during the game.

Cross Ange episode 1
yeah.... bad first ep is bad... my wife has hopes the second episode will be better though so I will at least see ep 2.

Wolf Girl and Black Prince episode 1
I want to like this one, but I am not a fan of the male.... and the female at this time is way to shallow. I am sure they will develop and it will get better, but with so many other shows to check out this season and american tv shows coming back I don't feel it's that likely this one makes the cut.

Dragon ball Z battle of the gods.
It was a long wait... between the announcement of the movie... it going through theaters... and continuing to wait until I could finally watch it in English (I can't remotely stand Goku's voice in Japanese) but the wait was well worth it. it suffered from some pacing issues, and I wish the fight had been longer without bad CG, but overall it was quite enjoyable, and confirmed something I had been curious about for years... if now... twice as old as when I started watching DBZ... if I could still enjoy something new or if nostagia just let me enjoy the old stuff... and it's clear I can not only enjoy new dbz, I can't wait for more.

TUSR

Banned
Steins;Gate 17

That opening. Jesus Christ.

Okabe is trying to undo all the D-Mails that were sent in hopes of regaining the IBN 5100.

How does Faris know about the D-Mail she sent? I thought the only person able to keep memories through world lines and alterations was Okabe?

Just random plot?

Regardless, just from changing those 10 years she seems messed in the head. Now we sort of know why Suzuha
committed suicide.

Wait, what the fuck. She seriously remembered through 2 D-Mails?

Averon

good job you are almost there! Just a few more suffering before the big reveal!
Okabe as usual is mad scientist, very cool, and a sonofabich

dunno, but 4chan was shitting on it

/a/ and /m/ is crowning it the seasonal train-wreck. In other words, expect a whole lot of shitposting, trolling, and laughter at it from 4chan.

Grisaia no Kajitsu 01

The last 3-5 minutes saved this show for me. Watching the episode, I found it to be another unappealing piece of harem tripe that I watched far too many times. But once I saw those final 3 minutes, enough interesting stuff was hinted a that I'll stick around for at least another few episodes.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Goldfish Warning! Episodes 1-46
You are a good person.
Our very Mr. Reg-chan sure must be smiling right now enjoying your conversation and his legacy in here, wherever he is on that transcended plane of life beyond this community... soon to be ready for a new re-incarnation and coming, to help us at this worldly place on next January for the task of spreading again Saviour Ikuhara's teachings.
Goldfish Warning is life. I just wish it were subbed more often.

:( Goldfish Warning reminds me of Hitokage.
He's left AnimeGaf mostly for twitter it seems. :(
I did see him post a bit in the Smash Bros. thread but I don't know if I want to read it some more as the "conversation" was pretty bad...
Smash threads are awful indeed. Too much vitriol thrown around regarding one's favourite character or another.
Sailor Moon Crystal didn't really bring him back but maybe Yuri Bear Storm can!
Yeah but Sailor Moon Crystal sucked. There was little I could say about it!

Branduil

Rage of Bahamut 1

iX85ZqOYhPUAH.jpg
ib1M06Cq1yMGbC.jpg

iYkDUy5EKbXX.jpg
icbML7FlTazcp.jpg

Really fun opening episode. Some have compared it to Pirates of the Caribbean and that seems like an apt comparison; it's a show with flamboyant, charismatic protagonists and over-the-top setpieces, aided by dynamic camera work. This is the Mappa show Watanabe should have made instead of Terror in Resonance.

Aside from an opening sequence oversaturated with digital effects, the show looks really good. Some strong art direction and lighting, varied and stylish character designs, good background art, and a couple of nice sakuga sequences. I just hope Mappa didn't blow the budget on the opening episode.

Seems like a show that will end up on Toonami in a couple years.

Gintama 31

This is probably the first time an episode legitimately ended on a dramatic note, which REALLY caught me by surprise, considering I thought the amnesia would be dealt with in the same episode if the past 30 episodes were any indication. But I like it.

Branduil said:
Who knew it would take a children's card game to save true fantasy anime?

If YuGiOh has taught me anything, it's that a children's card game can save anything. Literally anything. It can even stop deranged serial murderers to change their ways.

It also taught me that it can make for an amusing abridged series too. :3

TUSR

Banned
If YuGiOh has taught me anything, it's that a children's card game can save anything. Literally anything. It can even stop deranged serial murderers to change their ways.

It can also make for an amusing abridged series too.

think of what beyblades could do

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Cross Ange 1
Even more masterpiece than Valvrave.
Yeah, royalty got screwed by ritual in public make me remember Gustav from Saga Frontier 2. The very definition of trying so hard at fanservice, it become laughable. Don't get me wrong, i enjoy fanservice, but this one is too stupid. The mech suit, the pajamas. It also filled with cringe worthy dialogue. Seriously, it's boring. The song is okay, and the dragon fight is kinda cool. But, that's it.

It also taught me that it can make for an amusing abridged series too. :3

Cardfight Vanguard and Yu-gi-Oh, saving the world more times than heroes.

Nothing to say about the yuri harem brest fondling ending credits? Is that going to be part of the shows ending every episode? Speaking of ending, that character profile pan (a la Gundam Seed) seems really strange and doesn't seem to paint a gradient of factions between two extremes. Granted I don't know where all the factions fall in place based on the first episode but seeing how on the nose everything in the episode was, I don't think the placement of the characters in the parallax made any sense.
Gotta get in the breast fondling in the furo to show that these are girls belong to an oppressed group that are branded as prisoners since their birth solely for existing.

kinger256

Grisaia no Kajitsu 1

yCvkqNxl.jpg

KQ48LkRl.jpg

This is amazing. Lots of good deadpan humor. The ending, however, indicates that it wants to be some kind of grim dark moe harem. Too bad.

Fate/Stay Night UBW 0

Great visuals, bad characters.

Hopefully Rin doesn't become a character where all her actions are tsundere-like with no other personable traits. I read a lot about how people are sad that the focus will change from her to Shirou, but by the end I could barely stand her. I mean what level of bad protag are we talking here? Kirito-like?

Shingeki no Bahamut 1

Another show show with great action. Characters seem pretty run-of-the-mill, but thats a godsend for an anime in these times.

Danna ga Nani wo Itteiru ka Wakaranai Ken 1

This is going to be a good season.

I mean what level of bad protag are we talking here? Kirito-like?

Clueless in the Harry Potter book 1 way. (has no understanding of the social norms regarding stuff like magecraft, etc)

Boring. He's generally a good-natured good guy protagonist most of the time, and by standard definition, characters like that are 'boring.'

Irrational. Hard to talk into this without feeling spoiler-ish.

I like Shirou and I think he's a great character all-around, but as a protagonist and from the off-set, it's easy to label him as a boring, terrible character that feels shoe-horned into the situation rather than being a part of the setting. It's like throwing a regular human being into the future/past, there's a sense of irregularity brought about by that character, and for better/worse, Shirou has that.

No, not Kirito-like. I think even Shirou detractors agree that Shirou's presence in the story is essential and what he is means a lot to the overall story that FSN is telling. That doesn't mean that he can't sometimes be a frustrating character to follow.

TUSR

Banned
Steins;Gate 18

So Rukako remembers
being a boy, just like Faris remembered when her father wasn't alive from a different world line.

The people sending the D-Mails are retaining memories. Okabe now has more weight on his conscience all with the hope of
maybe keeping Mayuri alive.
Still chasing the IBN 5100. What happened to the D-Mail that
prevented future-part-time warrior from traveling, are we going to save her now? Can we?

God I hope so.

You are a good person.

Goldfish Warning is life. I just wish it were subbed more often.

:( Goldfish Warning reminds me of Hitokage.

I'd love it if Goldfish Warning! was subbed more often as:

1. I'd be able to finish it.
2. More people would take the chance to watch it as it's finished.

The thing is I'm used to anime I like not being fully subbed (looking at you Keroro Gunso and Hoshi no Kirby!) so I don't mind waiting a little while to finish the whole thing. I've watched a great show anyway!

Garo 1

Amazing OP. The premise is there, unfortunately unlike Bahamut this is a bit more standard anime fantasy. We have the transformation into CG overly complicated armor. The demon designs are great though. Will definitely keep watching. Surprised at a
father and son team-up but I'm sure the dad will die at one point
. I'm hoping it doesn't go crazy with CG.

TUSR

Banned
In the context of the number of shows that interest me.
The days of me watching 4-6 shows every week is dead.
Anime died with HxH
RIP Anime.

HxH wasn't keeping it alive.

There are a lot of good shows this season, what have you tried so far?

Garo 1

In spite of the CG, this is pretty cool. Amazing OP made all the more amazing thanks to Jam Project. Fitting as main dude's design kind of gives me a Go Nagai vibe.

Was still a bit lost at points, but not sure if actually knowing more about the franchise would help or not. Either way, will keep up with this one for now.

Looks like Sunday is the big anime day this season.

Garo 1

In spite of the CG, this is pretty cool. Amazing OP made all the more amazing thanks to Jam Project. Fitting as main dude's design kind of gives me a Go Nagai vibe.

Was still a bit lost at points, but not sure if actually knowing more about the franchise would help or not. Either way, will keep up with this one for now.

Looks like Sunday is the big anime day this season.

looks like the weekend once again has the best anime lol, specifically saturday and sunday.

TUSR

Banned
looks like the weekend once again has the best anime lol, specifically saturday and sunday.
As opposed to the other days of the weekend.

I just watched Terraformers... 3 episode rule/guideline doesn't count for garbage like this. At one point 4/5 of the screen was censored with a black bar.

Oh, wow.

Steins;Gate - 18

Not as strong as the previous episodes, but still pretty darn all right. The Faris and Hashida stories were much stronger, IMO.

I thought this one was better than the Faris one myself.

Steins;Gate 18

So Rukako remembers
being a boy, just like Faris remembered when her father wasn't alive from a different world line.

The people sending the D-Mails are retaining memories. Okabe now has more weight on his conscience all with the hope of

Keep watching ;)

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon Episode 43

This is the episode that has achieved fame in recent times as the subject of that massive Sailor Moon fan project. That is all well and good but what is the actual quality of this episode, especially since there is no hideous 90s DiC dub to be found? Well, this falls about the middle range, it was not the resolute waste of time that the princess training episodes were, but it feels weaker then the past couple of episodes were. Mainly because watching the Sailor Scouts fight got old quickly. Usagi-Rei fighting on its own can be pretty exhausting but throw in the entire team and it just becomes tedious. On the other hand, it is nice to see the Scouts are being proactive for once and acting far more tactically then I have ever seen them, so kudos for that. Still, mild recommendation to avoid because fucking that bickering was annoying.

Steins;Gate 18

So Rukako remembers

Still chasing the IBN 5100. What happened to the D-Mail that
prevented future-part-time warrior from traveling, are we going to save her now? Can we?

God I hope so.

well, to answer a part of the question, no and yes.
Watch somemore now!

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Shingeki no Bahamut: Genesis 1
Damn, i hope they still have enough budget to do the whole series. Lot of Sakuga moment. What do you know, this is actually good.

Lurky

Hidamari Sketch x365 episode 2

Man I thought I would be watching this all weekend but then got really busy. =\
The fact that the episodes aren't chronological really makes things confusing. Is this episode right after episode 1 of this season or is it during some time in the last season? Well they brought up the little sister at least so that makes things easier to figure out. Looks like there's a new character too. She's kinda cute. And gotdaamn
Miyako wears a sailor outfit when she cleans...
That's why she's best character. I'll watch a little bit more tomorrow. >_>

Hidamari Sketch x365 episode 2

Man I thought I would be watching this all weekend but then got really busy. =\
The fact that the episodes aren't chronological really makes things confusing. Is this episode right after episode 1 of this season or is it during some time in the last season? Well they brought up the little sister at least so that makes things easier to figure out. Looks like there's a new character too. She's kinda cute. And gotdaamn
Miyako wears a sailor outfit when she cleans...
That's why she's best character. I'll watch a little bit more tomorrow. >_>

There's a timeline here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AqMj1-VRhSe0dEhnSWl4My1uZ05nQVU3d3BVeklCaUE

Dunno if it's 100% correct though.

Cross fAnge Service 1

Half naked chicks in orbital frames fighting dragons? What's not to love.

But seriously, this whole Norma thing is dumb.
I can't believe a baby was taken from her mother, put in a friggin fish tank, and carted off somewhere because she's not a wizard

Of course the brother and his shady looking female sidekick are bad news. Who didn't see that coming? And that ending got dark real quick.

Anyway, I'm interested in seeing where things go. Hopefully this gets better.

Shingeki no Bahamut 1

My gawd that was amazing. The music, the art, the animation, that opening; it was all so good. And there was a nice amount of humor.

Loving the characters too. Carrot Top (who I thought was a chick at first) and Prince Dandy are great. Demon/Dragon lady is awesome <3. I also really like the art style. It reminds me of the Berserk movies.

Seriously can't wait to see how this show progresses. This is my favorite of the new anime I've seen.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon Episode 44

Right, to underscore how pointless the last episode was, the goal of that plan, to find an opening to the Dark Kingdom just kind of happens at the beginning of this episode seemingly randomly by Sailor Venus. Indeed, the endgame is nearly at hand but first the time has finally come to complete the exposition on the past of Sailor Moon and the Sailor Guardians as well as their mortal foes The Dark Kingdom. Indeed, as an aside here, there have been people complaining about the lack of characterization in the new Sailor Moon Crystal, there is some merit to this, though the blander personalities of the scouts is kind of how it went in the manga. Anyway, for those who keep bitching about this, the original Sailor Moon series had it own characterization problems that people seem to be glossing over for various reasons.

I have gone into details about how badly they screwed up with Sailor Venus in previous reviews and other commentaries but this time I want to talk about the villains of this season, The Dark Kingdom. I suppose the original anime did a decent job of remaking the Four Great Kings in its own image but that did come at the expense of backstory as we only get the merest bare bones here. They were high ranking guardsmen who got corrupted by the power of Metalia and that is it. Still, they fared batter then Beryl who in spite of being the primary villain for most of the season and yet she never moved past the motivations of a Saturday morning cartoon villain and she is little more then Metalia unwavering herald. Metalia herself is almost a giant space flea out of nowhere since they chose to focus on Beryl most of the season. I will say this episode did an excellent job of showing what the true stakes of her revival shall mean.
Right, anyway, this episode gets an automatic highest recommendation as it is really one of the most important episodes of Sailor Mon produced.

phaze

Hahahahahahaha. You have no idea how long I've been silently reading your impressions of this show. Nodding along. Laughing and crying with you. Just waiting for the end of it all. I had to really restrain myself from replying to anything because I didn't want to spoil any of the experience.
When I got to the end of the series, I think the first thing I said when the episode ended was "Goddamn, they actually intended to troll everyone with Robespierre! ROFLMAO!"
That was so good. Lol.

Well they got me that's for sure. I kept expecting some time skip
to the revolution because that's when he bit of the bullet and surely they wouldn't let murderer of Lia meet his end without some input from D'Eon ?
Well that didn't quite work out that way.
KuGsj.gif

Now that I think of it, Robin wanted
to avenge the queen yet he ended up contributing to her son's execution.

Yowamushi Pedal 38

Been saving to watch this one for awhile.

And now that I've watched it, I'm all ready for the next season to begin.
Haha I did the exact same thing.

It's sad for me to see no impressions of Seven Deadly Sins in here. It's anime bump should be huge. Seems Netflix gonna Netflix....

Edit:Nanatsu no Taizai 1
Fuck I forgot about this anime
It was a good adaptation, as it is starting strong with pretty great animation all round and good soundtrack as well.
Meliodas is as perverted as usual, Elizabeth in a tight suit, and hank of course best pig.

I like how everyone was hyped about gundam at the start of the season and now everyone is liking bahumut instead.
Oh well, I guess that is how the industry works.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I like how everyone was hyped about gundam at the start of the season and now everyone is liking bahumut instead.
Oh well, I guess that is how the industry works.

Well, it helps that Shingeki no Bahamut: Genesis had a legitimately good first outing. G-Reco is really being enjoyed ironically and has been pretty much a metatextual joke from the outset. I can only hope that and the show are fading in light of actual quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom