• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Well I still feel guilt that the SAO podcast never materialised because I just ended up being too busy during that period (I had to finish a course which basically sucked up all my free time). Not that there was much to talk about on a weekly basis to fill out a show. I think the lack of SAO talk here goes to show that.
Yeah, I think it would have fizzled out as a weekly show. I have no idea how people can make a podcast about a specific series, but I've always wanted to parody that idea because it seems absurd. lol

Nekomimi and pantsu, what's not to like? - firehawk12
You are quoting out of context. :(

Male Gaze and Strike Witches, by firehawk12
Scopophilic Fetishization of bloomers.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I learned about scopophilia today.

It's not nearly as sexy as it sounds.

Quasar

Love, Election and Chocolate 04

There's enough candidates to choose from in the election at least.

What kind of school is this? Scholarship students can't join clubs, they have to work for the school in their spare time, and they get bullied as well. At least Satsuki from financial affairs wants to do something about it if she wins the election. Seems more important than preserving the nonsense clubs at the school :p

It is a weird school setup and it continues the weirdness of anime where school student councils have crazy amounts of power. Makes me wonder if there any root in reality. Just what is the role of student councils in Japan?

I enjoyed this show overall. Partially because I like the art style. I also emjoyed seeing a show about elections - You dont see that much aside as sidelines.

Also the FRC is a great idea. I would have loved that. Well if I didn't live in Australia where theres nothing even as analog to clubs.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I still think one of the funniest moments in SAO, which I would have joked about, was in the first episode. It was during the meeting in the hoity-toity cafe when they were discussing GGO. They are busy discussing a videogame in this ritzy place when a woman a few tables away from them coughs rather deliberately and gives them a stare of disdain so the inspector bloke gets the messages and goes "well this is clearly an unpopular subject matter for a place like this so best we change the subject. So murder…" Woman doesn't bat an eye.

It is a weird school setup and it continues the weirdness of anime where school student councils have crazy amounts of power. Makes me wonder if there any root in reality. Just what is the role of student councils in Japan?

I enjoyed this show overall. Partially because I like the art style. I also emjoyed seeing a show about elections? You dont see that much aside as sidelines.
I enjoy laughing at it for
how fucking over the top it became. They were basically trying to kill people over some dumb shit at a certain point.

Akame ga Kill! Theater 14
2934387600.jpg

Better then the actual show

Takahiro pls.

I beg you to make this happen.

I'm willing to spend a good amount of money on an Esdese VN.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
So is there a reason Takemoto shows never get licensed?
I've heard that the licensing decision process involves a dartboard, a round of strip poker and following the community of a really obscure invision free anime board to see what shows they talk about.

Laughing Under the Clouds Episode 1 Three Brothers, Standing Under the Clouds

Chutaro with Nagisa [Free!] voice is hard to get behind. I wonder why they keep using his voice so much for so many anime as sometimes I wonder if it truly fits. Sora-nii is my favorite one of the three brothers, but of course the one I pick is beat up or faced with struggling
and then weeping and crying and being carried like a baby, but he gets all the hugs and stuff so it was worth it. I hope for a better display next time, he was so good

BzTDj-hIIAAsyTg.png

BluWacky

So I gave a lecture today on Laura Mulvey and the concept of the Male Gaze. I have no idea if anyone here would be interested in the subject, but I'd be curious to see what people might think about the content, especially since I bring it up in passing here once in a while.

If you are already familiar with the subject, do you think I cover enough of the basics? If you aren't, do you understand Mulvey by the end of the slides (well, by the end of the first half anyway)?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9ja3b08iqg90q6k/Seminar 4.pptx?dl=0

I also recorded myself giving this lecture, but I don't know if I can handle putting that online. lol

I think it's pretty clear, but then I think the concept of male gaze is pretty simple (I think you'd have to be an idiot if you watched anime didn't work out that such a thing existed) so you're preaching to the converted!

A few questions:

i) What was the aim of the Stieg Larsson slide? Of course it's interesting that the Swedish title of the book is "Men Who Hate Women". Is it the "mysterious" version of Lisbeth in the US version as opposed to the direct presentation in the Swedish poster? Or is it about the titles? I think I understand the point of including Usagi Drop and About A Boy - their "hook" is their subversion of traditional gender roles - but I was just confused about that one.

ii) Do you consider Magic Mike to truly be an example of "female gaze"? The stripping act itself of course appeals to women and gay men in this example, but Soderbergh's choices as director strip the scene of much of its real eroticism (as I think happens in large parts of the film, despite the lengthy stripping sequences). Unlike the Thelma and Louise example, for instance, which lingers lovingly on Brad Pitt's ab muscles, Soderbergh keeps the camera distant and detached; the sound design is realistic and tinny; we barely even see anything, and the roar of the crowd is emphasised.

Explanations

Yay, more praise for Rebellion! Now onto clarification:

1) In a sense. I took it that Homura split Madokami (god/universal law Madoka) into two. Essentially Homura took Madoka the person and split it from Madokami, now Madokami will still go out and do its magical girl-savior-type business however it will be devoid of the personality of Madoka herself which is now in the current reality/universe that Homura created. As for why she did it, Homura believes that Madoka, deep down, ultimately didn't want to be Madokami.

Ah yeah.
I remember a quick cut to a picture of Madokami sleeping inside some ice or whatever crystals Homura created with her God powers. I guess thats just symbolism that Madokami is being locked up.

I think thats one of the reasons I had to rewatch / read up on a lot of Madoka. I keep taking symbolism literally.

Thanks a lot for the explanations guys! I have a much better understanding of the entire storyline now. I also enjoyed the random
Sayaka x Kyoko pairing. Mami loses once again.

Are the other Puella Magi mangas worth reading? Or are they not canon?

Clov

Why does Kadokawa hate free money?

There's no clear answer to that, really. I remember that Funimation pissed them off after they tried to release their BD collection of Strike Witches II very close to Kadokawa's domestic BD-box release of it, and they've been difficult to work with ever since.

They typically have been fine when it comes to streaming, though; last season, Crunchyroll managed to get both Love Stage and Prisma Illya 2wei from them (which later had their home video rights bought by Sentai). I've really no idea why the Takemoto works in particular are having difficulty; maybe they're asking too much for them?

Herobank Episode 27 - The Money Fairy! Boochokkin Ka-ching!!
BzQVP_ZCcAAQE4p.jpg

New season of Hero Bank is off to a hilarious tart, everything one could like about it packed into this episode, new mechanics for the new season, new version of the op song but with character voices and silly dialogue and new a character even. I loved it. FUnniest moment was the dialouge for the movie part catering to the fans that it has in its really intense Kaito x Nagare story, and Nagare and Kaito would be in it. I hope it happens. They also did the usual herobutt stuff, someone on staff must really love it and shower scenes.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I think it's pretty clear, but then I think the concept of male gaze is pretty simple (I think you'd have to be an idiot if you watched anime didn't work out that such a thing existed) so you're preaching to the converted!

A few questions:

i) What was the aim of the Stieg Larsson slide? Of course it's interesting that the Swedish title of the book is "Men Who Hate Women". Is it the "mysterious" version of Lisbeth in the US version as opposed to the direct presentation in the Swedish poster? Or is it about the titles? I think I understand the point of including Usagi Drop and About A Boy - their "hook" is their subversion of traditional gender roles - but I was just confused about that one.

ii) Do you consider Magic Mike to truly be an example of "female gaze"? The stripping act itself of course appeals to women and gay men in this example, but Soderbergh's choices as director strip the scene of much of its real eroticism (as I think happens in large parts of the film, despite the lengthy stripping sequences). Unlike the Thelma and Louise example, for instance, which lingers lovingly on Brad Pitt's ab muscles, Soderbergh keeps the camera distant and detached; the sound design is realistic and tinny; we barely even see anything, and the roar of the crowd is emphasised.

a) I wanted to illustrate the fact that they could watch a film in a different language and still understand it. It was hard to try to come up with familiar examples though. The idea is that the grammar of film is something that everyone learns, even if they don't know it.

b) I didn't have much time to get into it, but I wanted it to serve as an example of female spectatorship and desire, since there are literally a bunch of screaming women during the scene.

It's weird, because Mulvey's article is one of the seminal works in film criticism, but it can also be incomprehensible for a lot of people. Especially for those who don't really care about understanding film beyond just watching big explosions on screen or their favourite stars make out with each other. lol

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Yeah inou is normal widescreen most of the time

also those yoshinari cuts in the OP. so good ;___;

better than Chuu2Chuu already

TUSR

Banned
Yea I just got to the OP and it's gone. Was it their lazy ass way of trying to visually portray a flashback?

Probably, its a way to show a transition, like a time leap/major event.

Though i've seen it used when using different shooting formats. The Dark Knight does this, so does the latest Hunger Games because of IMAX aspect ratios.

Yowamushi Pedal Grande Road Episode 1 - ROAD.1 Phase 49

The OP and ED are a huge step down, where is my Dirty Old Men and Autribe. IM Ready was like the definitive song.

I think I want Kyoto Fushimi or Hakogaku to win, Midousuji's teammates all deserve to win especially Mizuta. I still dont see how people hate Midousuji either
that was an epic last minute save to pull his assitant up

Im hoping on day 2 weakizumi can do something else well and wont just be beat up...

So I gave a lecture today on Laura Mulvey and the concept of the Male Gaze. I have no idea if anyone here would be interested in the subject, but I'd be curious to see what people might think about the content, especially since I bring it up in passing here once in a while.

If you are already familiar with the subject, do you think I cover enough of the basics? If you aren't, do you understand Mulvey by the end of the slides (well, by the end of the first half anyway)?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9ja3b08iqg90q6k/Seminar 4.pptx?dl=0

I also recorded myself giving this lecture, but I don't know if I can handle putting that online. lol
I'll give it a look. Not that I'm familiar with the actual theory rather than just the common understanding of it.

cajunator

Banned
For those who preordered the Cowboy Bebop Blu ray sets, did you get the Amazon or Funination exclusive?

I preordered the Amazon one because of the art books for $70 before price hike while the Funimation exclusive one is only $65 currently.

Amazon version. Because why not? This has been an incredible year for releases.

Cross Ange 01:

We're witnessing the coming of a masterpiece.

I really hope it is list-worthy. We need some new blood.

I got the LE from Amazon. Because I've been waiting too long and it has a special box. So fuck it.

Damned right, dog.

which directors in anime do you consider good, and which ones are the ones you're saying that AnimeGAF wrongly thinks are good?

As long as Kon and Shinkai are on the good list, we're cool.

Netflix, apparently.

Sounds about right.

Is this Hanayamata?

You are so mean :(

Inou-Battle wa Nichijou-kei no Naka de 1
Fairly fun. I expected a bit more exaggerated animation considering its Trigger but I guess its cute

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom