• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
Haibane Renmei ending is so soothing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X16VLYXEwjo

Very special anime, I loved it despite the first few episodes being tedious.

Indeed its a very peacuful beautiful ending theme for the best anime series in existence. This show was a love letter to anime fans. Gorgeous.

That would be the hope, for sure. But the large amount of anime girls, the opening/ending, and it being a light novel series don't leave me with a lot of hope that it won't wind up with some amount of harem hijinks, with some magical girlfriends.

The alternative would definitely be a lot more interesting. A show that really did center around the main character attempting to revive the theme park, fix up the attractions, and get everyone inspired again could be quite interesting.

Hey if KyoAni could make a good show out of an insipid story like Hyouka they can definitely make something good of this. This has better potential than Knk and Tamako market.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Oh, right, those are Sailor Moon branded feminine care products. Yes, that is a thing that exists in this world.

I think I'm the only one who watched it and I don't know anything about Tenchi Muyo lol.
It's only four minutes so you can't waste too much time on it (but I think it'll be fifty episodes), but I didn't really get it. He got bullied by cute girls, and beat up by cute girls. That's pretty much it.
Sounds terrible. Also had no idea it was a short. I figured it was a half hour affair.

Those Sailor Moon pads totally reminded me that you can buy Fist of the North Star branded Condoms in Japan. Anime merchandise is weird sometimes.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Akatsuki no Yona 01
Incest.
eHzmUbP.jpg
Maybe even double incest.

Amagi Brilliant Park Episode 01

This definitely feels like something that Shoji Gatoh wrote. A lot of the humor rings similar to Full Metal Panic (and of course the damn mascot).

Strong first episode, and I hope it doesn't devolve into harem antics. I have faith it'll never go that far down the deep end though considering FMP (or FMP:A) never went that route.

Dresden

Not really worried about a harem element considering how much of a presence Sento has been.

Maybe a love triangle, at best. Either way, just no amnesia drama please.

Not really worried about a harem element considering how much of a presence Sento has been.

Maybe a love triangle, at best. Either way, just no amnesia drama please.

Good job. The KyoAni desire sensor is going off the charts. They'll now do the opposite of what we want.

So stay tuned for the next episode where the lead will remember he made a promise to blonde girl that one day he'd marry her when they grew up. But hijinks ensue when he also made the promise to a kid Sento.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I'm not even sure Tomino was worried about a smooth transition as (pulling a firehawk and scrubbing through it!!) it feels like it's supposed to just be various snapshots of Loran's arrival on Earth with the passage of time marked by his hair. :lol
Oh I got that. But there are ways of doing this kind of "time lapse" thing to make it clear that's what you're doing instead of forcing the viewer to figure out what you're doing.

And not in the "the director is challenging you" kind of way, but more "the director doesn't understand how editing works".

Forall Gundam 2:
This is more like it. After some more world building, we finally get to see the first action scenes in this show and- wait, what?

God damn it Tomino.

That last cut is really mind blowing. My guess is, there was a mixup between storyboarding and animation (or maybe the storyboarding was just bad), and Tomino realized he wanted to zoom in more on the pilot's face for drama. But, it was too late to go back and redo the scene. Instead, he shrink the scene itself, and then zoomed in on that to achieve the same effect.

I like this episode more than the first episode. It did a good job of highlighting the ridiculous gap in technology levels between the two civilizations (Terrans and Spacenoids), and I assume the mystery will be elaborated on further down the road. What I didn't like, however, was how obfuscated the motivations of the moonracers are. The character of Dianna Soreil is introduced, and Laura and the other moonracers seem to be fond of her. But there's also this new entity called "Dianna Counter". Is this Dianna Counter thing a person? Are they related to Dianna Soreil? I didn't know until I looked it up afterwards and realized Dianna Counter was some kind of rebel faction, hence the "Counter". While I can excuse silly names for the most part like "Loran/Rolan Cehack", when the names cause narration confusion like that, it's unacceptable. Tomino might be a senile Japanese man but really, if you don't know the language, don't use it.

Finally, Laura has trouble keeping his clothes on:

Gundam Wing 20

Trowa joins the OZ faction and in order to dissipate any doubts of his true identify, must destory the Gundam deathscythe.

The result is one of the biggest and hilarious "NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!" moments you will ever see. Thank you Scott McNeil.

Probably going to put WIng on hold for now though. I want to get back to watching Tiger & Bunny.

Log Horizon 2 01

So far the series is off to a strong start. Shiroe is still building up Akiba's infrastructure and still and supervillainous as last season, which is still on of the best parts of the series. The other, the world building, is in front display so far. Can't wait to see how Shiroe will completely break the world's rules this season. As for the animation, it looks pretty similarly to last season, so no complaints from me (I hate Marielle's new look though).

By whose definition?

Well by ours. I mean we live in a society that doesn't consider that acceptable. If a country stones women because their culture dictates that a cheating woman needs to die, should we not think it's fucked up because it's part of their culture and socially acceptable down there?

If more babies die from drowning than by gunfire, should we not give our children guns to defend themselves against pools?

But there's also this new entity called "Dianna Counter". Is this Dianna Counter thing a person? Are they related to Dianna Soreil? I didn't know until I looked it up afterwards and realized Dianna Counter was some kind of rebel faction, hence the "Counter".
Except they are not. You skipped too far ahead, read a spoiler and reached the wrong conclusion. They are the peacekeeping and security force that was sent along with the moonrace civilians. They are effectively the moon race militia which makes them a foil for the earth militia that they are fighting.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Except they are not. You skipped too far ahead, read a spoiler and reached the wrong conclusion. They are the peacekeeping and security force that was sent along with the moonrace civilians. They are effectively the moon race militia which makes them a foil for the earth militia that they are fighting.

Thank you.

Now I can confidently say the name is doubly stupid.

cajunator

Banned
I think I'm the only one who watched it and I don't know anything about Tenchi Muyo lol.
It's only four minutes so you can't waste too much time on it (but I think it'll be fifty episodes), but I didn't really get it. He got bullied by cute girls, and beat up by cute girls. That's pretty much it.

Knee socks are inferior to their older nee-san thigh highs

zettai ryouiki and thighhighs are the everlasting truth.

Those Sailor Moon pads totally reminded me that you can buy Fist of the North Star branded Condoms in Japan. Anime merchandise is weird sometimes.

Ok THAT is awesome

Majin Bone 27

Kind of an odd spot to have the main cast squash a bunch of new iron bone characters, especially when one of them last episode gave the main cast so much difficulty. Series is really building towards a second good guy team with Liebert at the lead. Enjoyable little episode

Trinity Seven 1

Opening: I don't think I like this. Sure there are some good points, but I feel like this is one of those songs were I can just tell I'm going to heavily dislike the full version.
Ending: Ignoring the first 20 seconds or so, it was okay.

Best harem MC since Issei is finally here!

The VA for Arata is absolutely perfect for him.

Not entirely sure why they decided to give Levi boobs (Or make them more noticeable).

Best ninja/girl has no need of that.

She's like one of the few instances when "Flat is Justice!" is absolutely correct.

Akatsuki no Yona 1:
I wasn't sure what to expect after some less than stellar reviews in here, but I thought this was rather enjoyable. It's obviously not a looker, and it never will be, but the story has potential. Yona has some likable spunk, and the setting is fairly different. Yeah, the issues related to arranged marriages vs marrying for love brought up earlier are definitely present, and there's some disconnect there in terms of what Yona's options actually would have been in reality, but it's not clear even in this episode if she was ever really going to have a chance at that or not.

There was one point where the story felt like it was about to dredge into melodrama, but things actually got resolved fairly quickly, which gives me some hope for the writing in the future. The end of the episode was definitely not something I expected, even if you knew that something was going to have go down based on how it started. There were also a couple of places where the dialogue was pretty expository. Those were jarring moments, especially since there were usually pretty easy ways of communicating the information without having characters telling other characters stuff they both already know.

Hey if KyoAni could make a good show out of an insipid story like Hyouka they can definitely make something good of this. This has better potential than Knk and Tamako market.

Oh, you. You're just jealous that you couldn't appreciate Mayaka properly.

cajunator

Banned
Trinity Seven 1

Opening: I don't think I like this. Sure there are some good points, but I feel like this is one of those songs were I can just tell I'm going to heavily dislike the full version.
Ending: Ignoring the first 20 seconds or so, it was okay.

Best harem MC since Issei is finally here!

The VA for Arata is absolutely perfect for him.

Not entirely sure why they decided to give Levi boobs (Or make them more noticeable).

Best ninja/girl has no need of that.

She's like one of the few instances when "Flat is Justice!" is absolutely correct.

Who is the girl with hair over her eye? Im sure AHB would also like to know.

Akatsuki no Yona 1:
I wasn't sure what to expect after some less than stellar reviews in here, but I thought this was rather enjoyable. It's obviously not a looker, and it never will be, but the story has potential. Yona has some likable spunk, and the setting is fairly different. Yeah, the issues related to arranged marriages vs marrying for love brought up earlier are definitely present, and there's some disconnect there in terms of what Yona's options actually would have been in reality, but it's not clear even in this episode if she was ever really going to have a chance at that or not.

There was one point where the story felt like it was about to dredge into melodrama, but things actually got resolved fairly quickly, which gives me some hope for the writing in the future. The end of the episode was definitely not something I expected, even if you knew that something was going to have go down based on how it started. There were also a couple of places where the dialogue was pretty expository. Those were jarring moments, especially since there were usually pretty easy ways of communicating the information without having characters telling other characters stuff they both already know.

Oh, you. You're just jealous that you couldn't appreciate Mayaka properly.

I appreciated Chitanda, irisu, misaki, and even Oreki's sister. No room for Mayaka.

Yu-Gi-Oh! Arc-V Episode 26
BzY5su1CAAEWNzv.png
BzY7Hs2CcAEUZMt.png

Can I have ever Pendulum Dragon everytime the music comes on, and you know who is coming I get to shiveru like that one kid. Odd-Eyes is still my favorite but Beast Eyes Pendulum Dragon is epic incarnate. He is easily much better than Rune Eyes Pendulum Dragon. The attack was great too. I loved the attack scene with Rune Eyes Pendulum Dragon though. Every time they go in for that angle with Yuuya-oniichan riding them and doing their signature blast attack it just makes it so exciting. Beast Eyes attack needed a bit better or longer duration for that blast attack, but it was great too.

Best highlight of the battle was the special effects going on. I love how they craft all these scenarios to need to use multiple chains.

Majin Bone 27

Looks like the team up is happening faster then I expected and everyone is heading to Nepos for a big battle. Wonder if this means the series will be ending sooner not sure how they can go attack Nepos and then bring things back to the status quo for opponent of the week

Midonin

CR lists two more announcements for tomorrow. I'm expecting them to be Shirobako and April, both of which I want to watch. I'm holding off on Amagi until I'm absoloutely sure nobody's picked it up. There's always one show that ends up slipping through the cracks.

Narag

CR lists two more announcements for tomorrow. I'm expecting them to be Shirobako and April, both of which I want to watch. I'm holding off on Amagi until I'm absoloutely sure nobody's picked it up. There's always one show that ends up slipping through the cracks.

gonna be g-reco!!!!!!!

Detective Conan 315:
The beginning of this episode (probably about the first third at least) were really good by the standards of anime original episodes of Detective Conan. Actually pretty moving at times, and really above the normal standards with some thoughtful moments. Sadly, it all h as to be slightly undercut by the need for a traditional murder plot (with the killer and his trick to building an alibi being fairly obvious), but it was still a nice episode, and Kogorou has some good moments. More like this, TMS (cue twenty AO episodes with the Detective Boys reading receipts and killers sending trucks downhill to commit a murder).

gonna be g-reco!!!!!!!

Can Crunchyroll translators handle the power of Tomino Names?

Dresden

So long as Shirobako is one of them, I'll be satisfied.

In a just world, no, this way we'd get different weekly translations and ensuing debates on what the real romanization is!

So like Aura Battler Dunbine's DVDs where the spellings and dub pronunciations were completely different on several names (which is still one of my favorite things ever)?

Jarmel

Banned
Seems like you've at least read the manga? I was thinking of starting the novels since I like the dude's stuff, but I guess I'm curious.

I don't need spoilers or anything super detailed, but is the series at least fun?

From what someone was telling me, the light novels as they are now are a bit of a mess. Not so much in actual content but rather the pacing and narrative structure. The manga itself is pretty lewd but the light novels can be too. Give it a whirl I guess and see if it floats your boat.

The manga has some really fun scenes that I'm looking forward to being animated so we'll see how that goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom