• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 |OT2| Idly waiting for the Dog Days of Sabre

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyuur

Is it really so hard to believe that something worthwhile could exist in Sword Art Online, even if the series as a whole is a pretty big dud? There are talented people working on the action scenes and I feel like it's actually exceeded every other show airing this season when it comes to that, even if that isn't really the focus.

And yeah, the story is really heavy handed and we are in an arc about
a terminal kids with AIDS
, but at least there's some kind of emotional push here that's missing from all the other fantasy garbage ranging from Bahamut and Fate to Chaika and Log Horizon. SAO2 is significantly less convoluted than all of those shows in its world building and storytelling, with very deliberate arcs showcasing character's changing over time, and this all happens at a reasonable pace. SAO 2 is pretty boring a lot of the time, but it's honestly somehow less of a mess than its contemporaries. The snide whining about its success feels pretty hollow in the context of everything else people are watching this season.

Disclaimer: I stopped watching SAO2 and the end of the Bullet arc.

While the consistent production values are good, I can't think of an action scene that 'exceeded every other show' or even was any good in the first place. Well animated, sure, but nothing interesting unless you're wowed by Kirito's constant sword-dancing.

I'm not really sure what you mean about 'emotional push' either. I felt nothing for Kirito or Sinon at any point, especially after 8 flashbacks to the murder guild scene. You need to make me care about a character before you throw their tragic backstory at me. It was especially bad in Sinon's case. Log Horizon does a wonderful job of making me care about Shiroe and what he does. Of course, it also fails (Akatsuki) but at least it manages to have at least one strong character which puts it at advantage over SAO. Log Horizon's side characters also manage to actually have personality, rather than the cardboard cast of SAO.

I've only watched Log Horizon out of the four you mentioned, but in SAO's case "not convoluted" is definitely not a plus. The world building is possibly the only highlight but it feels shallow and pales in comparison to something like Log Horizon. The rest is plain boring. SAO1 Arc 2 was better than this.

Yes point out the comic relief character who is clearly teasing the knight character who in S1 was the butt of jokes for acting like a perv but has since entered a type of relationship in s2 and has acted more seriously. Yes I understand this level of subtle character growth is probably lost on you but this isn't just a throw away fan service scene unlike every shot of Sinon's ass when she was looking down a sniper rifle. I'm also pretty sure that the idol is (speculation maybe spoilers?)
actually a boy trapped in a girls body
which will adds more depth to this scene on a potential rewatch, something a huge shot of Sinon's ass will never do.

Disclaimer: I stopped watching SAO2 and the end of the Bullet arc.

While the consistent production values are good, I can't think of an action scene that 'exceeded every other show' or even was any good in the first place. Well animated, sure, but nothing interesting unless you're wowed by Kirito's constant sword-dancing.

I'm not really sure what you mean about 'emotional push' either. I felt nothing for Kirito or Sinon at any point, especially after 8 flashbacks to the murder guild scene. You need to make me care about a character before you throw their tragic backstory at me. It was especially bad in Sinon's case. Log Horizon does a wonderful job of making me care about Shiroe and what he does. Of course, it also fails (Akatsuki) but at least it manages to have at least one strong character which puts it at advantage over SAO. Log Horizon's side characters also manage to actually have personality, rather than the cardboard cast of SAO.

I've only watched Log Horizon out of the four you mentioned, but in SAO's case "not convoluted" is definitely not a plus. The world building is possibly the only highlight but it feels shallow and pales in comparison to something like Log Horizon. The rest is plain boring. SAO1 Arc 2 was better than this.

He's talking about the most recent arc the Mother's Rosario arc which actually is pretty well written and has some decent emotional appeal. If you got though the first 3 arcs you really should watch Caliber and Mother's Rosario because they both stomp the crap out of the rest of the SAO series (not saying much I know).

Quasar

I wonder what the reception to SAO would be like if Season 1 never happened and it started with Season 2's plot. Could you imagine that?

Well I doubt I ever would have watched. But thats just because I have less than zero interest in shooters as a game type, but like fantasy MMOs and/or stories about folks being trapped in fantasy worlds that goes all the way back to Narnia.

Firemind

Yes point out the comic relief character who is clearly teasing the knight character who in S1 was the butt of jokes for acting like a perv but has since entered a type of relationship in s2 and has acted more seriously. Yes I understand this level of subtle character growth is probably lost on you but this isn't just a throw away fan service scene unlike every shot of Sinon's ass when she was looking down a sniper rifle. I'm also pretty sure that the idol is (speculation maybe spoilers?)
which will adds more depth to this scene on a potential rewatch, something a huge shot of Sinon's ass will never do.
ayyyy lmao

oh you're actually serious

Yes point out the comic relief character who is clearly teasing the knight character who in S1 was the butt of jokes for acting like a perv but has since entered a type of relationship in s2 and has acted more seriously. Yes I understand this level of subtle character growth is probably lost on you but this isn't just a throw away fan service scene unlike every shot of Sinon's ass when she was looking down a sniper rifle.

I must admit i enjoy both show , Sao & LH heck i tried , to explain Sao , during S1 , but some reaction were way too strong for what the show is , IMO , but really as someone who enjoyed the books , seeing that AMOUNT of BUTSHOOTS& asshots in both seasons is really something else.
I can't understand the reasoning behind it. and i really don't like it.

I'm actually convinced that many got the wrong idea about this show , because of that god awefull "fanservice shots".
it's freaking sad.

Rage of Bahamut Genesis 9

So outside of the random "hey lets try and pull this black thing out of the ground" this was a really good episode. Lots of great moments everywhere though I kind of wish zombie girl could have gotten a bit more screen time and I worry for her future involvement in the story now that she's not with the main group.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
The worthwhile action sequences came after you stopped watching. I don't mean to push SAO 2 as an action heavy production, but its fight scenes do a good job of blending together groups of characters while maintaining a logical consistency that creates a sense of momentum.
I'm not speaking to the effectiveness of how the material reaches its audience, but SAO does have an emotional core. A lot of the time it is overbearing, but the characters are developing people who at least show some semblance of humanity, as overwrought as it is. Staking Log Horizon as a point of comparison feels extremely odd to me. Shiroe feels way more like a self-inserty blank slate than anything else to me, leaving him in a similar spot to Kirito, only with more glasses pushing than sword swinging. SAO pushes the emotional state of its side characters pretty heavily though, and even if it isn't particularly successful with that it contributes to the weight of the story. I think it's pretty telling that SAO can have an episode where half of it plays out like you're watching a piece on a futuristic Make-A-Wish Foundation and the other half is about someone sitting down to talk with their mom in a quiet snowy cabin about their feelings and future. Log Horizon can never step away from the tangled web of bullshit that is its "world building" mysteries because it has no real characters to fall back on.
Yes point out the comic relief character who is clearly teasing the knight character who in S1 was the butt of jokes for acting like a perv but has since entered a type of relationship in s2 and has acted more seriously.
I know it's not necessarily overt via trashy lewd camera cuts, but the sexism in Log Horizon is overwhelming. Almost all major female characters dote excessively on male characters, and the harem-esque antics are anything but subtle. Strong female characters, or something.
I'm also pretty sure that the idol is (speculation maybe spoilers?)
which will adds more depth to this scene on a potential rewatch...
If this actually happened it would be pandering too. Pandering to me.

mWZmDuB.jpg

I almost made it.

I was managing to fling off every dirty joke coming my way.

I thought I could finally get through one of these without laughing once.

But I couldn't.

My guard was lowered while seeing purest girl Mitsuba.

Then this scene happens and I promptly lose it.

Along with the epilogue one with the Maid.

Does anyone else get melancholic after finishing an anime that you really enjoyed? Doesn't have to be anything that's critically acclaimed but something that for one reason or another resonated with you and you're sad to see end?

At most this will only last for a few days, but for some reason I've been feeling it for almost a week after finishing Symphogear. I think that's why I've been so eager for a home release. I want to be able to pop in a disc a few years down the road and enjoy the ride all over again. But the situation with Funimation and licensing has me worried about that prospect.

So Rage of Bahamut started out so strong and has slowly turned disappointing and disappointing. While still one of the stronger shows this season alongside Parasyte, it's one of those shows that would have been 10x better without an overarching plot.

Midonin

Sailor Moon R 17-18

Rei's grandpa is basically a (slightly) toned down Happosai, I wonder how much more they had to tone him down to get him on American broadcast TV in the 90s. Because his intentions were spelled out as clear as day there. He wants girls in leotards fighting him. 18 was a much more interesting episode, with Chibiusa communicating with someone from the future (though I know who it is, this an old anime, it's not like these things are hidden), and everybody finally questioning her about what her deal is. The MotW was a clever one, though. Nobody would ever think it's an evil plot, just a freak rainstorm happening over theri city.

Unless you're Kotaro Minami. Then everything is a Golgom plot.

Does anyone else get melancholic after finishing an anime that you really enjoyed? Doesn't have to be anything that's critically acclaimed but something that for one reason or another resonated with you and you're sad to see end?

At most this will only last for a few days, but for some reason I've been feeling it for almost a week after finishing Symphogear. I think that's why I've been so eager for a home release. I want to be able to pop in a disc a few years down the road and enjoy the ride all over again. But the situation with Funimation and licensing has me worried about that prospect.

Worse is when it clearly is set up for another season that will never come.

Firemind

So Rage of Bahamut started out so strong and has slowly turned disappointing and disappointing. While still one of the stronger shows this season alongside Parasyte, it's one of those shows that would have been 10x better without an overarching plot.

That's what I've been telling you months ago!

I got pretty sad after Birdy the Mighty Decode and Legend of Legendary Heroes, especially since I didn't know there was pretty much no chance of another season until after I finished them :( That's also why I don't really want to invest too much in Index since a 3rd season doesn't seem like it's going to happen at this point...

Seitokai Yakuindomo* OVA 2 - Yeah. Its lewd.
It's the right kind of lewd.
Not sure how this works.
I almost made it.

I was managing to fling off every dirty joke coming my way.

I thought I could finally get through one of these without laughing once.

But I couldn't.

My guard was lowered while seeing purest girl Mitsuba.

Then this scene happens and I promptly lose it.

Along with the epilogue one with the Maid.

Dejima trully found the work that was meant for her.

Did I miss when Rage of Bahamut stopped being good? It's still as great as it's always been and it was pretty clear from episode one what direction the series was heading in.

Gundam: Reconguista in G 12:
Tomino continues to save anime. I see that my prediction of one new faction introduced per episode from here on out is looking good so far. I have no clue who is supposed to be on who's side, and I love it.

Of course, this episode also had some really weird and hilarious physical comedy, and lots of scenes that were really random. This show remains just a really fun experience every week.

Genius Klim Nick remains the greatest character.

Yeah, I have this happen a lot when I finish a show, or a book, or a game that I was really into. Not necessarily even because of the ending, but there's sort of a feeling of 'that was something I was really into, and now that experience is over'. It's kind of a strange feeling.

Did I miss when Rage of Bahamut stopped being good? It's still as great as it's always been and it was pretty clear from episode one what direction the series was heading in.

The plot is silly and the whimsical nature is all but gone, replaced by a generic angels vs demons 'save the world' plot. Even if the show was heading there it doesn't make it all better. Plenty of folks have expressed their disappointment so it's not like me saying it comes out of left field.

Kikirin

Do you have Guilty Gear Xrd? I was playing online with Uraizen yesterday.

Uwa! While I'm not directly addressed here, I'm kinda surprised by the amount of crossover in people between Anime GAF and Fighting GAF. Maybe I shouldn't be, given the prevalence of anime in fighting games. But my copy is also arriving within a few days. Would be fun to get in games with everyone.

The plot is silly and the whimsical nature is all but gone, replaced by a generic angels vs demons 'save the world' plot. Even if the show was heading there it doesn't make it all better. Plenty of folks have expressed their disappointment so it's not like me saying it comes out of left field.

Did you not watch the show at all?

The show established in the first episode in the first scene that Bahamut was this all powerful thing that nearly destroyed the world and the humans, angels, and demons all had to fight him to seal it away... we then skip to Kaiser and Favarro doing their Pirates of the Caribbean sword fight though town which is clearly a grounding for two every day bounty hunters who are about to get sucked into a conflict that could lead to Armageddon. It really is one of the most basic Japanese fantasy/adventure/jrpg plots and you only have yourself to blame for thinking the series was anything but that.

cajunator

Banned
Uwa! While I'm not directly addressed here, I'm kinda surprised by the amount of crossover in people between Anime GAF and Fighting GAF. Maybe I shouldn't be, given the prevalence of anime in fighting games. But my copy is also arriving within a few days. Would be fun to get in games with everyone.

Pm me your psn info we can set something up sometime.

The show established in the first episode in the first scene that Bahamut was this all powerful thing that nearly destroyed the world and the humans, angels, and demons all had to fight him to seal it away... we then skip to Kaiser and Favarro doing their Pirates of the Caribbean sword fight though town which is clearly a grounding for two every day bounty hunters who are about to get sucked into a conflict that could lead to Armageddon. It really is one of the most basic Japanese fantasy/adventure/jrpg plots and you only have yourself to blame for thinking the series was anything but that.

I think most of us would've been happier with Favaro and Kaisar antics then a generic JRPG plot.
The Amira's mom and Dragon stuff is fine, it gives it some semblance of an end goal, but then you throw the King and Jeanne, 5 different Satans and angels in the mix and it starts to cloud the best parts. Although there is good in there too, like that scene last episode with Jeanne and the demon.

Quasar

Whilst true, I felt over time the implementation wasn't as entertaining as I'd like. Maybe part of its the limited episode count, or I just wanted more Joan.

Not that I think its bad, just not as good as I would have liked. Still the best F2P game based anime I've seen.

Worse is when it clearly is set up for another season that will never come.

Hold me. >.<

In my case there's actually a third season coming out in 2015. But a large part of my grief is coming from not having a way to preserve the show in the highest quality possible in a physical form so I can watch it again years down the road.

I got pretty sad after Birdy the Mighty Decode and Legend of Legendary Heroes, especially since I didn't know there was pretty much no chance of another season until after I finished them :( That's also why I don't really want to invest too much in Index since a 3rd season doesn't seem like it's going to happen at this point...

I feel for you. It's often hard to tell whether or not you will feel this way before watching something. That's why it's sad when you come to that realization as you're nearing the end.

Yeah, I have this happen a lot when I finish a show, or a book, or a game that I was really into. Not necessarily even because of the ending, but there's sort of a feeling of 'that was something I was really into, and now that experience is over'. It's kind of a strange feeling.

Yeah, at times I wish that I wouldn't feel like this, but maybe it's good in a way. It allows me to look back at things with a fonder perspective, since the experience had an emotional lasting effect on me.

survivor

Banned
I Can't Understand What My Husband Is Saying 1-11

Another cheap looking short comedy anime like Ai Mai Mi. It even has the same ugly washed out colours. Still, the material they are working with fairly works on a consistent average and with the short running time, no harm in sitting through a few bad episodes. That episode 11 though, wish the rest of the show had the same quality.

Also Spotted Flower anime adaptation next please.

Quasar

I still need to work out where the hell to start to read the novels that follow on from Legend of the Legendary Heroes.

Whilst true, I felt over time the implementation wasn't as entertaining as I'd like. Maybe part of its the limited episode count, or I just wanted more Joan.

Not that I think its bad, just not as good as I would have liked. Still the best F2P game based anime I've seen.

I agree I wish the show was 26 episodes and that's it probably one of the best anime not just based upon a f2p game but really any game for that matter.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Maoyu Mao Yusha LN illustrater Keinojou Mizutama passed away
https://twitter.com/miztama1016/status/544501738384805889

RIP
RIP
Some of the best illustrator there is.

I wonder what the reception to SAO would be like if Season 1 never happened and it started with Season 2's plot. Could you imagine that?

Like, Kirito never had a harem to begin with and it all started with the whole Sinon thing.

People wouldn't go in with the disgust of what when down in the first one and it'd be a fresh and new thing. Okay, maybe not THAT fresh and new, but you know what I'm talking about.

Cut the Kirito trauma thing, and i say we have decent plot. Just make it MMO fun adventure without adding some trauma and all that heavy handed stuff.

For SAO season 1, the only good arc is aincrad arc, harem antics not included (including Yui). I like SAO vol.1, while SAO vol.2 is meeeeh.

Haibane renmei make me feel melancholic.

I Can't Understand What My Husband Is Saying 1-11

Another cheap looking short comedy anime like Ai Mai Mi. It even has the same ugly washed out colours. Still, the material they are working with fairly works on a consistent average and with the short running time, no harm in sitting through a few bad episodes. That episode 11 though, wish the rest of the show had the same quality.

Also Spotted Flower anime adaptation next please.

YES!

pgtl_10

GAF,

Please recommend me some good anime that isn't about teens. I prefer adult protagonists and antagonists. Also something that isn't about mechs/robots being the main theme.

GAF,

Please recommend me some good anime that isn't about teens. I prefer adult protagonists and antagonists. Also something that isn't about mechs/robots being the main theme.

Kaiji
Akagi
Monster
Mushi-shi
Spice and Wolf
Space Brothers

Full disclosure, I have never actually watched the last four.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom